Running Back situation

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy (ankle) and Starks (knee) are both hurting. Maybe we will see Don Jackson called up from the practice squad. Personally, I think MM calls too many running plays especially when they have a big lead. It gets Rodgers out of his rhythm. Let him throw the ball often and when the safeties play deep..then run the ball. Use the pass to set up the runs.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packs need Golden Arm's and his receivers more than ever well, it's going to be this game. He needs to hit his receivers while they need to catch the darn ball because our run game is now poo poo if Lacy doesn't play.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy (ankle) and Starks (knee) are both hurting. Maybe we will see Don Jackson called up from the practice squad. Personally, I think MM calls too many running plays especially when they have a big lead. It gets Rodgers out of his rhythm. Let him throw the ball often and when the safeties play deep..then run the ball. Use the pass to set up the runs.

I'm not proposing a Lacy ratio by any means but a healthy Eddie needs to get 20-25 touches a game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I think MM calls too many running plays especially when they have a big lead.
Would you call this conservative play calling in the 4th quarter of a 21-14 game?
Arizona Cardinals at 11:56
  1. 1-10-ARI 24 (11:56) 31-D.Johnson right tackle to ARI 42 for 18 yards (26-T.Brock).
  2. 1-10-ARI 42 (11:11) 31-D.Johnson left tackle to ARI 47 for 5 yards (92-Q.Dial).
  3. 2-5-ARI 47 (10:32) 31-D.Johnson up the middle to ARI 45 for -2 yards (59-A.Lynch).
  4. 3-7-ARI 45 (9:50) (Shotgun) 5-D.Stanton pass short left to 31-D.Johnson pushed ob at SF 34 for 21 yards (35-E.Reid). Caught at SF 49. 15-yds YAC
  5. 1-10-SF 34 (9:24) 38-A.Ellington right guard to SF 32 for 2 yards (96-T.Hart).
  6. 2-8-SF 32 (8:46) 38-A.Ellington left tackle to SF 27 for 5 yards (57-M.Wilhoite).
  7. 3-3-SF 27 (8:00) 38-A.Ellington right tackle to SF 23 for 4 yards (91-A.Armstead).
  8. 1-10-SF 23 (7:19) 38-A.Ellington left guard to SF 20 for 3 yards (64-M.Purcell).
  9. 2-7-SF 20 (6:38) 31-D.Johnson right tackle to SF 11 for 9 yards (63-T.Jerod-Eddie).
  10. 1-10-SF 11 (5:56) 31-D.Johnson left guard to SF 5 for 6 yards (35-E.Reid).
  11. 2-4-SF 5 (5:14) 31-D.Johnson left guard to SF 2 for 3 yards (29-J.Tartt; 92-Q.Dial).
  12. 3-1-SF 2 (4:46) 31-D.Johnson right guard for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
I highlighted the only pass. THIS is what MM is trying to accomplish when he "goes conservative with a big lead."

EDIT: I forgot my source: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20161...enu=drivechart&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

D

Deleted member 6794

It's absolutely vital to have a balanced offense therefore the Packers need to run the ball as well. When having a big lead effectively doing it is the best way to hold on for a win.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's absolutely vital to have a balanced offense therefore the Packers need to run the ball as well. When having a big lead effectively doing it is the best way to hold on for a win.

Yes, but effectively means getting first downs. Too often its three runs and punt.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but effectively means getting first downs. Too often its three runs and punt.

Rarely does he do three runs and punt.

In each of the last three wins, they ran twice and passed on third down on their last possession. Twice it was successful to end the game.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers just signed RB Karlos Williams, who the Bills cut due to him being suspended 4 games. Now the Steelers have sick depth at RB. I would have loved to sign him. Ronnie Hillman too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Steelers just signed RB Karlos Williams, who the Bills cut due to him being suspended 4 games. Now the Steelers have sick depth at RB. I would have loved to sign him. Ronnie Hillman too.

TT seems to think he can run the table with Lacy and Starks, so far so good, at least with Lacy. But IMO, carrying 7 WR's and only 2 RB's, especially one who isn't playing that well, is a big dice roll.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT seems to think he can run the table with Lacy and Starks, so far so good, at least with Lacy. But IMO, carrying 7 WR's and only 2 RB's, especially one who isn't playing that well, is a big dice roll.

Yeah, the depth is concerning. We'll have to basically put Rip at RB if an injury mid-game ever happens. But maybe Rip can be a Mike Alstott. I'd like to see what he can do at the RB position honestly. Maybe he can be a hammer.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah, the depth is concerning. We'll have to basically put Rip at RB if an injury mid-game ever happens. But maybe Rip can be a Mike Alstott. I'd like to see what he can do at the RB position honestly. Maybe he can be a hammer.
Problem is, he isn't 100% healthy either. I like Rip, but not as the featured back. Nor do I like anyone on our team not named Eddie as our feature back at the moment. Watching Eddie go down in the last game gave me that "Stark" realization, that we are entirely too thin at the RB position.

Reaction score
:whistling: 2014 NFC Championship game. :whistling:
There's an obvious m
Rarely does he do three runs and punt.

In each of the last three wins, they ran twice and passed on third down on their last possession. Twice it was successful to end the game.
my comment is more of a generalization from what I've seen over the last 1-2 years, especially concerning GB.
I can't count the number of times we have been in a 3rd and short situation
And then threw the ball for what would've been a 20+ yard catch (lower percentage throw) into tight coverage, Going incomplete and punting.
But what's even more trying on my limited understanding is throwing on 3rd and long and the receiver catches it coming back to the ball 1/2 yard shy (7.5 yards) and getting tackled immediately and then getting a bad spot 1 yard short and we punt. You don't call a 9 yard fishhook when you need 8! You call an 11 yard fishhook. This is basic HS level stuff and I would normally blame the WRs route running.. but then we do the exact same thing every other game so you can't blame the WR anymore. If a WR does this once shame on him. If he does it twice shame on us for not pulling him and having a heart to heart.
When we pass on 3rd and short it needs to be a high % throw e.g., 4-8 yard range (unless someone is wide open).
This is often where games are won and lost because it increases the success % of our 1st down count.
This also ties into game clock management and ties into involving our FB and RB more in the short passing game.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure the logic with carrying only 2 end is that we have 2 wrs who run well out of the backfield. In not sure how healthy montgomerys ankle is yet... But Cobb can zing. Give him 10 or 15 carries.... Problem solved...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb needs to be a wr. He does not need the punishment of being a RB. TT needs to sign a damn RB if these guys can't go. I love abby and wished he played but if he can't see the field here cut him loose and let him see if he can elsewhere. Now go get a RB already.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling we will see more Rip up the middle from here on! He is a threat in the flat also. This game I expect TyMo in the backfield in the plays they plan for Cobb due to the big hit Collins put on him end of Giants game.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really understand why we kept 7 WR's if we aren't going to use them. Honest question here, how many of you would have thought that Monty would have ZERO receptions through our first 4 games??? Or even better yet that Monty, Abby, Janis and Davis would have a collective total of 1 reception at this point? (Also anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this plz)

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really understand why we kept 7 WR's if we aren't going to use them. Honest question here, how many of you would have thought that Monty would have ZERO receptions through our first 4 games??? Or even better yet that Monty, Abby, Janis and Davis would have a collective total of 1 reception at this point? (Also anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this plz)

They kept 7 WR's because of the bad experience last year..

D

Deleted member 6794

I figured someone would bring that up, but if that's the only example that still makes it rare.

They passed in multiple games that season to end it (Dallas, Chicago, MN, and Patriots).

Absolutely agree that it's a rare occurrence.

Im sure the logic with carrying only 2 end is that we have 2 wrs who run well out of the backfield. In not sure how healthy montgomerys ankle is yet... But Cobb can zing. Give him 10 or 15 carries.... Problem solved...

The Packers running the ball with either Cobb and Montgomery has been extremely unsuccessful this season though. There's absolutely no way Cobb should carry the ball 10 times a game.

I have a feeling we will see more Rip up the middle from here on! He is a threat in the flat also.

Ripkowski might excel occasionally rushing the ball but he for sure shouldn't be counted on as a bell cow.

They kept 7 WR's because of the bad experience last year..

It doesn't make sense with the way the Packers offense are using the receivers behind the top three on the depth chart though.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And when they're effectively only playing 3 wideouts per game.

Ty Montgomery: 0 targets, 0 receptions, 0 yards. (but he does have 2 rushes for no net gain.)

Trevor Davis: 2 receptions for 4 yards.

Jared Abbrederis: 1 target, 1 reception, 8 yards.

Jeff Janis: Well, he has had a club on his hand until now. But they didn't use him much before anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts