1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Running Back situation

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Robert Mason, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136
    Lacy (ankle) and Starks (knee) are both hurting. Maybe we will see Don Jackson called up from the practice squad. Personally, I think MM calls too many running plays especially when they have a big lead. It gets Rodgers out of his rhythm. Let him throw the ball often and when the safeties play deep..then run the ball. Use the pass to set up the runs.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mongoosev

mongoosev Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    If the Packs need Golden Arm's and his receivers more than ever well, it's going to be this game. He needs to hit his receivers while they need to catch the darn ball because our run game is now poo poo if Lacy doesn't play.

3. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +498
    I'm not proposing a Lacy ratio by any means but a healthy Eddie needs to get 20-25 touches a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Would you call this conservative play calling in the 4th quarter of a 21-14 game?
    I highlighted the only pass. THIS is what MM is trying to accomplish when he "goes conservative with a big lead."

EDIT: I forgot my source: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20161...enu=drivechart&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    It's absolutely vital to have a balanced offense therefore the Packers need to run the ball as well. When having a big lead effectively doing it is the best way to hold on for a win.

6. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136
    Yes, but effectively means getting first downs. Too often its three runs and punt.

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    That's because of a lack of execution and not the play calling though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +955
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Rarely does he do three runs and punt.

In each of the last three wins, they ran twice and passed on third down on their last possession. Twice it was successful to end the game.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  10. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,895
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Steelers just signed RB Karlos Williams, who the Bills cut due to him being suspended 4 games. Now the Steelers have sick depth at RB. I would have loved to sign him. Ronnie Hillman too.

12. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    TT seems to think he can run the table with Lacy and Starks, so far so good, at least with Lacy. But IMO, carrying 7 WR's and only 2 RB's, especially one who isn't playing that well, is a big dice roll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Yeah, the depth is concerning. We'll have to basically put Rip at RB if an injury mid-game ever happens. But maybe Rip can be a Mike Alstott. I'd like to see what he can do at the RB position honestly. Maybe he can be a hammer.

14. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Problem is, he isn't 100% healthy either. I like Rip, but not as the featured back. Nor do I like anyone on our team not named Eddie as our feature back at the moment. Watching Eddie go down in the last game gave me that "Stark" realization, that we are entirely too thin at the RB position.

• Like Like x 1
  15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    :whistling: 2014 NFC Championship game. :whistling:

16. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    I figured someone would bring that up, but if that's the only example that still makes it rare.

They passed in multiple games that season to end it (Dallas, Chicago, MN, and Patriots).

17. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +511
    There's an obvious m
    my comment is more of a generalization from what I've seen over the last 1-2 years, especially concerning GB.
    I can't count the number of times we have been in a 3rd and short situation
    And then threw the ball for what would've been a 20+ yard catch (lower percentage throw) into tight coverage, Going incomplete and punting.
    But what's even more trying on my limited understanding is throwing on 3rd and long and the receiver catches it coming back to the ball 1/2 yard shy (7.5 yards) and getting tackled immediately and then getting a bad spot 1 yard short and we punt. You don't call a 9 yard fishhook when you need 8! You call an 11 yard fishhook. This is basic HS level stuff and I would normally blame the WRs route running.. but then we do the exact same thing every other game so you can't blame the WR anymore. If a WR does this once shame on him. If he does it twice shame on us for not pulling him and having a heart to heart.
    When we pass on 3rd and short it needs to be a high % throw e.g., 4-8 yard range (unless someone is wide open).
    This is often where games are won and lost because it increases the success % of our 1st down count.
    This also ties into game clock management and ties into involving our FB and RB more in the short passing game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Im sure the logic with carrying only 2 end is that we have 2 wrs who run well out of the backfield. In not sure how healthy montgomerys ankle is yet... But Cobb can zing. Give him 10 or 15 carries.... Problem solved...

19. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,069
    Cobb needs to be a wr. He does not need the punishment of being a RB. TT needs to sign a damn RB if these guys can't go. I love abby and wished he played but if he can't see the field here cut him loose and let him see if he can elsewhere. Now go get a RB already.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Arthur Squires

Arthur Squires Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    I have a feeling we will see more Rip up the middle from here on! He is a threat in the flat also. This game I expect TyMo in the backfield in the plays they plan for Cobb due to the big hit Collins put on him end of Giants game.

21. Pintsizedbox9

Pintsizedbox9 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27
    Don't really understand why we kept 7 WR's if we aren't going to use them. Honest question here, how many of you would have thought that Monty would have ZERO receptions through our first 4 games??? Or even better yet that Monty, Abby, Janis and Davis would have a collective total of 1 reception at this point? (Also anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this plz)

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136

They kept 7 WR's because of the bad experience last year..

23. Pintsizedbox9

Pintsizedbox9 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27
    So lets keep all these guys, never play them, and if someone gets hurt expect them to come in and adequately perform? I don't know if that would work

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    Absolutely agree that it's a rare occurrence.

The Packers running the ball with either Cobb and Montgomery has been extremely unsuccessful this season though. There's absolutely no way Cobb should carry the ball 10 times a game.

Ripkowski might excel occasionally rushing the ball but he for sure shouldn't be counted on as a bell cow.

It doesn't make sense with the way the Packers offense are using the receivers behind the top three on the depth chart though.

25. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +514
    And when they're effectively only playing 3 wideouts per game.

Ty Montgomery: 0 targets, 0 receptions, 0 yards. (but he does have 2 rushes for no net gain.)

Trevor Davis: 2 receptions for 4 yards.

Jared Abbrederis: 1 target, 1 reception, 8 yards.

Jeff Janis: Well, he has had a club on his hand until now. But they didn't use him much before anyway.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016