thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love doing mock drafts
and i've been taking a rb in the 3rd or 4th most of the time
so i'm leaning towards 'yes'

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be fine with the Packers spending a day 3 pick on the position.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Booker out of Utah for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jonathan Williams from Arkansas will probably fall late due to missing all of 2015 because of injury. He's a good player who actually had a good game against Alabama, which doesn't happen when you're a one dimensional team. Strong, elusive back. Forced 44 missed tackles in his last full season and consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, with one of the toughest schedules in the country.

H

HardRightEdge

To Dougherty's point, Starks is the insurance against continuing Lacy issues. I have a hard time seeing the Packers spending a 2nd. or 3rd. round pick for another Lacy contingency plan...more like a change of pace back in the lower rounds and a between-the-tackles runner for the practice squad.

As to the 2017 Lacy concerns, it's worth noting that RB is the easiest position to transition to in the pros (kickers excepted), at least with respect to running the ball.

Whether Lacy busts out or earns high FA value in 2016, thereby requiring a replacement, there's the 2017 draft for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unless there's someone they rate very highly that ends up in the 3rd or something, I don't see them going RB before the 4th round at all. I think they expect Eddie to come back in shape, and will give him every opportunity to earn a nice contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jonathan Williams from Arkansas will probably fall late due to missing all of 2015 because of injury. He's a good player who actually had a good game against Alabama, which doesn't happen when you're a one dimensional team. Strong, elusive back. Forced 44 missed tackles in his last full season and consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, with one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Williams mostly struggled against SEC opponents while impressing against non-conference teams. With him most likely ending up a day 2 pick I would like the Packers to pass on him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams mostly struggled against SEC opponents while impressing against non-conference teams. With him most likely ending up a day 2 pick I would like the Packers to pass on him.
He only had under 4 YPC against two SEC opponents, or anyone for that matter, and the opposing teams just stacked the box because the offense was one-dimensional. He also shared carries practically 50/50, or else he would have easily put up a ton more yards.

Fournette is the most gifted back I've seen in a while, and has a much more talented team around him, yet opposing teams were able to shut him down because they knew LSU could do nothing but run.

What I'm saying is, you are putting way too much emphasis on a couple of games. He looked great against many quality SEC opponents, despite the predictability of the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

He only had under 4 YPC against two SEC opponents, or anyone for that matter, and the opposing teams just stacked the box because the offense was one-dimensional. He also shared carries practically 50/50, or else he would have easily put up a ton more yards.

Fournette is the most gifted back I've seen in a while, and has a much more talented team around him, yet opposing teams were able to shut him down because they knew LSU could do nothing but run.

What I'm saying is, you are putting way too much emphasis on a couple of games. He looked great against many quality SEC opponents, despite the predictability of the offense.

During his college career Williams had only two 100+ rushing yards games against SEC opponents. With not offering a lot as a receiver and having missed the 2015 season because of an injury I'd rather pass on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree with HRE on this. I see no need at trying to find a starting RB early or even mid round in the 2016 draft. We may very well have one in Lacy and a good quality backup in Starks. If Lacy's isn't a stellar back and we have a year like 2012 (year before Lacy was drafted), we revisit the position in the 2017 draft. I have high hopes for Lacy in 2016. I think not only will his off season work change the guy we saw carrying the ball this past season, but getting Jordy back and maybe having a passing game is going to be very beneficial to the run game.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dude that ran a 4.31 and 25 reps, at what ever it was 225.. Let him sit at #3 a year and see if we can put that speed to work....

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During his college career Williams had only two 100+ rushing yards games against SEC opponents. With not offering a lot as a receiver and having missed the 2015 season because of an injury I'd rather pass on him.
Beilema likes 400 lbs. Linemen, no way they were running screens for their RBs. I understand what you're saying, but his lack of 100 yard games was because he was splitting carries with another guy who will get drafted this year, and every single team loaded the box because there was hardly a passing game. It's not like he was terrible, he just couldn't run through a brick wall, and was on one of the least talented teams in the SEC.

This tape sums up his career. Box stacked, against one of the most talented teams around, and nowhere to go most of the time.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Beilema likes 400 lbs. Linemen, no way they were running screens for their RBs. I understand what you're saying, but his lack of 100 yard games was because he was splitting carries with another guy who will get drafted this year, and every single team loaded the box because there was hardly a passing game. It's not like he was terrible, he just couldn't run through a brick wall, and was on one of the least talented teams in the SEC.

While it's true Johnson had to split carries with Alex Collins he still got 15-20 rushes in nearly every single game against SEC teams.

I'm kind of hesitant to draft a player who doninated against inferior competition but struggled against better teams.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with HRE on this. I see no need at trying to find a starting RB early or even mid round in the 2016 draft. We may very well have one in Lacy and a good quality backup in Starks. If Lacy's isn't a stellar back and we have a year like 2012 (year before Lacy was drafted), we revisit the position in the 2017 draft. I have high hopes for Lacy in 2016. I think not only will his off season work change the guy we saw carrying the ball this past season, but getting Jordy back and maybe having a passing game is going to be very beneficial to the run game.
Right. And it's not like Lacy is coming off a serious injury. Even if 2016 is a reprise of 2015, with the Lacy/Starks snaps spit evenly or tipping a bit toward Starks, he'd still be a good rotational back at a cheap price. While watching him rumbling and stumbling at the second level is not a pretty sight, his 4.1 average last season is pretty good for a guy who didn't pad that number with long gainers. At the same time, with the deep passing game being dysfunctional, teams were crowding the box with more frequency as opposed to a steady diet of 2-high safeties in the previous season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. And it's not like Lacy is coming off a serious injury. Even if 2016 is a reprise of 2015, with the Lacy/Starks snaps spit evenly or tipping a bit toward Starks, he'd still be a good rotational back at a cheap price. While watching him rumbling and stumbling at the second level is not a pretty sight, his 4.1 average last season is pretty good for a guy who didn't pad that number with long gainers. At the same time, with the deep passing game being dysfunctional, teams were crowding the box with more frequency as opposed to a steady diet of 2-high safeties in the previous season.
So lacy gets hurt in preseason. Which is very possible... You comfortable with our current #3 and starks, or starks and a late round rookie, to ballance this offense all season???
We should have 3 good rbs imo. And we only have 2. We cant be banking so much on a guy who takes that much abuse! Stack it up and quit worrying imo.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So lacy gets hurt in preseason. Which is very possible... You comfortable with our current #3 and starks, or starks and a late round rookie, to ballance this offense all season???
If he's not I am. Especially in preseason which gives time to pick up a decent #4 from the final cutdowns waiver wire. Same conundrum actually as "are you OK with the 3rd" QB, TE, WLB, SLB, NT, SS, FS? Get the idea? Kuhn should be available yet.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel rodgers should be the only guy that makes or breaks a season. We have had seasons in recent memory with very little rb talent. It sucked to say the least. Since lacy came on, we got comfortable. Too comfortable, imo, when you consider a final cut rb or late rounder to be the answer...

One tweaked ankle away from defenses not respecting the run...

I doo want to see more cobb/montgomery run plays... But i wont mention that as an option because it hurts my argument....:)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We should have 3 good rbs imo. And we only have 2. We cant be banking so much on a guy who takes that much abuse! Stack it up and quit worrying imo.

Unfortunately, with the Salary Cap and the nature of guys wanting to be a starter in the NFL, it is very hard to maintain a team that has "starting quality players" 3 deep into the Roster at every position from year to year. So sure, it would be great to have Adrian Peterson, Le'Veon Bell and Todd Gurley as our 3 RB's, but at what cost to the other 21 position? All you can really hope for is a quality #1, a dependable #2 and a #3 then could potentially do something special. After that, you look to the PS or FA's.

To put it another way, use your methodology on all 22 positions and maybe even kicker, punter and LS, in case of injury. Will it work?

I get people loving this player or that player in the draft, but when you already have that position taken care of, it just doesn't seem prudent to neglect the positions that aren't in such good shape by using high draft choices to appease an injury contingency plan.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Lacy is no more likely to get injured in preseason than anybody else. In fact, having suited up for 46 of 48 games, he's shown durability not evidenced by several other starters.

You just can't go 3 deep with guys you're comfortable with as starters at any position, and certainly not when there are other more immediate concerns that need to be addressed. There's just not enough cap and draft picks to do what you want. I could see going as high as the 4th. round for a RB, but that's as far as I'd go.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is no more likely to get injured in preseason than anybody else. In fact, having suited up for 46 of 48 games, he's shown durability not evidenced by several other starters.

You just can't go 3 deep with guys you're comfortable with as starters at any position, and certainly not when there are other more immediate concerns that need to be addressed. There's just not enough cap and draft picks to do what you want. I could see going as high as the 4th. round for a RB, but that's as far as I'd go.
Rb is a different than most positions. They take a lot of abuse. Get injured often, and arent as effective banged up either.

This mentality tha rbs are a dime a dozen. And a difference in 2nd round to 7th round effectivness as a rookie is minimal... I dont like it. Disagree. These guys are touching to ball 20 plus times a game. 1/3 of the snaps usually. Thats 1/3 of the entire offensive plays and meant to ballance a pass heavy offense...

Its like the nfl brass realized the rb value isnt as much as in the " run to establish the pass" days. But now the low value is getting to be ridiculous imo. The running game is still very very important, even if its mot first priority...

We should take advantage of the low market values , and load up on top end rb tallent. Because its affordable and rbs still own 1/3 of the plays.

I think rb values will go back up in the coming years. This low ball value is a over reaction to the fact the nfl is pass first now...

I remember the days saying the packers sgould be pass first, to spread the field and open up the run... Oh man the traditional nfl status quo junkies tried to crucify me for that one. 10 years later, rbs have no value... Lol. Bunch of posers.

Members online

Latest posts