Run defense will get early tests.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Seattle will pose the largest challenge now that Graham is at TE. And I believe they improved at WR during the offseason. Along with Wilson's athleticism, that will keep the Packers from overloading for the run.

Not as much of an issue with Chicago, especially w Jeffries at less than 100% or possibly out. I don't know anything about the quality of the Chiefs' passing game, but Smith can make things happen.

The ideal outcome, beside winning all three, is to hold each marquee runner to less than 100 yards. But anyway they can do it, hopefully that stretch ends up with the Packers 3-0. It will also pose a challenge for cover LBs who will have to watch out for plays underneath to the TEs and slot receivers. And of course for the new guys in the secondary, Rollins, Randall, and Gunter. It will help a lot now that CMIII has taken snaps inside.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for the post. Seattle will pose the largest challenge now that Graham is at TE. And I believe they improved at WR during the offseason. Along with Wilson's athleticism, that will keep the Packers from overloading for the run.

Not as much of an issue with Chicago, especially w Jeffries at less than 100% or possibly out. I don't know anything about the quality of the Chiefs' passing game, but Smith can make things happen.

It will be absolutely essential to stop the run in all three of these games as none of these teams will be able to win relying on throwing the football.

That's why Guion being suspended and Burnett's injury could really hurt the Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

It will be absolutely essential to stop the run in all three of these games as none of these teams will be able to win relying on throwing the football.

That's why Guion being suspended and Burnett's injury could really hurt the Packers.
For this game, I'd agree with a little different spin on it. The Bears had a pretty good possession passing game with Bennett and Forte combining for 192 catches last season. Getting them into long yardage forcing downfield throws should be a key, especially with Burnett possibly sitting and Barrington being sketchy in coverage (assuming he remains the coverage ILB) making the possession pass defense a vulnerability. 2nd. and 5 or 6, for example, is not a good look with these match-ups, especially with Forte as a particular run threat in those situations, requiring run-or-pass hedging on defense.

Getting the Bears defense off the field and getting the ball back in Rodgers' hands should be the theme of the day. Allowing them to grind it out and burn clock, which the match ups suggest as a possibility, would keep the game close.

Having a dinged up WR corps could work in the Bears favor to some degree if it translates to a game plan where Cutler plays ball control game manager and isn't making risky throws downfield as has been his wont.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears had a pretty good possession passing game with Bennett and Forte combining for 192 catches last season
Yes, and I believe the weakest category of our pass defense last year was against running backs (19th in the league by DVOA), and we're not much better against tight ends. 31-23 Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, and I believe the weakest category of our pass defense last year was against running backs (19th in the league by DVOA), and we're not much better against tight ends. 31-23 Packers.
I like that score. I look forward to the Packers breaking out of last season's road scoring funk against a rebuilding defense.

H

HardRightEdge

You nailed it, man.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys up front simply have to step it up the next two weeks. Not much Capers can do when there's 8 in the box and the run still works. Guion being out probably didn't help either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
JBlood, you are the doctor!!!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have some short memories as fans. Forte tore us up last year at Soldier field too yet we still won.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have some short memories as fans. Forte tore us up last year at Soldier field too yet we still won.

for me it is not a short memory it is more of a concern what happens when we get tore up like that against a team with a stout defense that can keep the Packers from marching up and down the field like they did against the Bears today? Recent history has shown us that usually equals a loss for us and come post season you are usually going to face at least one stout defense and if they have a great running game as well...

Krisco65

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....and we failed. Its the same old thing. We simply cannot stop the run. We will have to outscore all of our opponents this year as usual :(

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
for me it is not a short memory it is more of a concern what happens when we get tore up like that against a team with a stout defense that can keep the Packers from marching up and down the field like they did against the Bears today? Recent history has shown us that usually equals a loss for us and come post season you are usually going to face at least one stout defense and if they have a great running game as well...

And last year in the NFCCG we stopped the great running team and faced a stout def..To bad it was the special teams and our offense that blew it

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know where to post this.

Why can't HaHa tackle in a 1 on 1 situation. I think every single one of us here could look as bad as he does tackling. It is really really bad right now. He was a good tackler at Bama so WTF happened?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And last year in the NFCCG we stopped the great running team and faced a stout def..

Marshawn Lynch - 25 carries for 157 yards and a TD is stopping a team that was great at the run? Is that honestly what you call stopping the run?

To bad it was the special teams and our offense that blew it

I will not say that each of them did not play their part but you have some serious blinders as to what happened if that is what you believe, let's analyze what happened in the last 3:52 seconds of the game.

(3:52) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 45 for 14 yards (29-C.Hayward).
(3:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 35 for 20 yards (38-T.Williams).
(3:07) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to 15-J.Kearse.

For the record, at this point Seattle had a .1% chance of winning the football game, that is right 1 tenth of one percent of a chance of winning the game.

(3:02) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 24-M.Lynch for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Official challenged the runner was in bounds ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 24-M.Lynch ran ob at GB 9 for 26 yards.

(2:57) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to GB 5 for 4 yards (56-J.Peppers; 96-M.Neal).
(2:36) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson scrambles left tackle to GB 1 for 4 yards (21-H.Clinton-Dix).
(2:13) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson left tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
S.Hauschka extra point is GOOD, Center-49-C.Gresham, Holder-9-J.Ryan.

Okay, please point out to me where the offense or the special teams failed in the above 1:39. That is right, in 1:39 the team that could not move the ball all day gained 65 yards and a touchdown. Neither the offense nor the special teams were on the field for any of that 1:39 seconds, but okay, let's say special teams and the offense blew that.

In 1:39 the Seahawks gained 65 yards and 6 points that was entirely the defense's fault.

Special teams gave up one point.

All right, here we go...

(Onside Kick formation) 4-S.Hauschka kicks onside 15 yards from SEA 35 to 50, impetus ends at SEA 48. RECOVERED by SEA-13-C.Matthews.

Okay, we all knew the special teams screwed the pooch here, there is no denying it. But okay, defense has a chance to end the game so here we go:

(2:07) (No Huddle) 3-R.Wilson right end ran ob at GB 35 for 15 yards.
(2:01) 24-M.Lynch right end to GB 32 for 3 yards (42-M.Burnett).
(1:56) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short right to 82-L.Willson to GB 24 for 8 yards (50-A.Hawk; 38-T.Williams).
(1:33) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 3-R.Wilson pass to 82-L.Willson is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

Huh, in 34 seconds with the ball Seattle went 52 yards, and scored 8 point all while the defense was on the field except for the disastrous onside kick.

So now we have 2:13 seconds for the Seattle to gain 117 yards and score 14 points, all while neither the offense nor the ST was on the field except for an extra point and an admittedly disastrous onside kick. By the way, 65 of those yards are rushing yards, you know, the thing you apparently believe we stopped in this game. SEA 22 GB 19

Now GB takes a minute to kick a field goal and tie the game at 22, Seattle kneels for 11 seconds.

So now we have 2:24 seconds for the Seattle to gain 117 yards and score 14 points all while the defense was on the field

And on to overtime...

2-M.Crosby kicks 66 yards from GB 35 to SEA -1. 89-D.Baldwin to SEA 13 for 14 yards (32-C.Banjo).

Seattle starts at their own 13 because of horrible play by the special teams in crunch time...

(14:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 17 for 4 yards (42-M.Burnett).
(14:20) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short right to 89-D.Baldwin pushed ob at SEA 27 for 10 yards (52-C.Matthews).
(13:50) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to SEA 31 for 4 yards (76-M.Daniels; 53-N.Perry).
(13:17) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 30 for -1 yards (sack split by 56-J.Peppers and 98-L.Guion).
(12:36) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 35 for 35 yards (29-C.Hayward).
(11:49) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep middle to 15-J.Kearse for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

In case you are wondering that is 87 yards in 3:11 seconds so...

In 5:35 seconds the DEFENSE, let me repeat, the DEFENSE gave up 204 yards and 20 points.

In closing I am not one who puts the blame entirely on the defense, the onside kick was a major screw up and the lack of moving the ball by the offense were contributing factors, but when you have literally a 99.9% chance to win the football game with 3:07 left in the game and the DEFENSE gives up 200 yards and 20 points, there is one place to point 90% of your finger and that is at the DEFENSE. I respect you and your opinion but the facts clearly show the defense is the large majority of the culprit in that loss. You can go on and on about what happened prior to those 5:35 seconds and none of it matters, not one bit when you give up 200 yards and 20 points in the final 5:35.

If you could please point out to me in the above sequence of events where the offense or ST had a greater hand in blowing the game than the defense I will gladly take it under consideration.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are people still arguing about what was most at fault in the NFC Championship? We can all agree all three phrases played a part.

Does it really matter if the each was 1/3 at fault or it was 40.25% defense, 30.75% offense, and 29% special teams?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are people still arguing about what was most at fault in the NFC Championship? We can all agree all three phrases played a part.

Does it really matter if the each was 1/3 at fault or it was 40.25% defense, 30.75% offense, and 29% special teams?

I personally would never talk about it again if people would stop claiming that it was anything other than yet another spectacular failure by the defense. Facts don't lie but some people like to ignore the facts which is quite bothersome to me.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know where to post this.

Why can't HaHa tackle in a 1 on 1 situation. I think every single one of us here could look as bad as he does tackling. It is really really bad right now. He was a good tackler at Bama so WTF happened?

That one on the Bennett TD... HaHa didn't even try to use his arms. He just lowered them and dove like a missile at him. I actually did *laugh out loud* at that one when it happened. Such a derp way to try to stop a guy.

Members online

Latest posts