Rumor Mill: ROSSLEY TO BE FIRED!

Reaction score
Well most (if not all) of us have gotten our wish. Rumors are circulating that Rossley will be let go shortly after the 2005 season.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

6. Sherman Back, Rossley Out.

The Packers, we hear, genuinely want quarterback Brett Favre to return. But if he does it will be without offensive coordinator Tom Rossley, who will be fired (we're told) not long after the 2005 season ends.

G.M. Ted Thompson is nevertheless expected to keep head coach Mike Sherman, due in large part to the fact that keeping Sherman likely will prompt Favre to stick around.

Now take it with a grain of salt. But the fact is the guys over at PFT have been good with these sort of things. They have their sources, and have accuratley reported things in the past. Regardless, it's good news for many if it is true! (AND ABOUT TIME TOO :D)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give it a 65/35 percentage that this rumor is correct... good/bad is the scale.

If it actually comes true - one wonders how Sherman's gonna handle it.. anyone?

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Ryan said:
off topic, but good GOD that page has a lot of advertisements!

:shock: Hey Ryan, you're not starting to get any ideas now are you... :-?

:p
I know you were joking... But honestly now that you point it out.... it really does. Guess I just got used to it.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Ryan said:

I know you were joking... But honestly now that you point it out.... it really does. Guess I just got used to it.

It's horrendous. Perhaps the site is good as a lot of people seem to talk about their rumors etc. but the ads are crazy. I only said something as I don't usually visit the site and I almost had to use ctrl+F to find the article as I was scrolling for a day.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be great to see Rossley go, but I told you all that as long as Favre insists he can do it, Sherman will be on the sidelines staring at his playbook, and the Pack will not be contenders next year. Favre/Sherman go together like peanut butter and jelly.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow, to me it smells a bit like the Donatell ousting, then the Slowik ousting....make SOMEONE, ANYONE, a scapegoat as long as the main cogs stay in place. To me, it's a formula for disaster. It's the old "bandaid" approach to a serious wound. The REAL operation is coming later, rather than sooner.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Ryan said:

It's horrendous. Perhaps the site is good as a lot of people seem to talk about their rumors etc. but the ads are crazy. I only said something as I don't usually visit the site and I almost had to use ctrl+F to find the article as I was scrolling for a day.

Use Firefox and the Adblock extension. Get the filter and the autoupdater extension too. I use them and I very rarely see ads anymore. Very few ads get past the filter. Right now I'm looking at the rumor site and I only see a couple ads.

Oh yeah, and I hope the rumor is true. :wink:

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ross is gone bring in Mooch, as offensive coordinator or any other capacity, because he seems to have a good influence on Brett

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carlos said:
If Ross is gone bring in Mooch, as offensive coordinator or any other capacity, because he seems to have a good influence on Brett

I agree, another guy who I think could make a good o-coordinator would be Norv Turner. Some interesting things could happen.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question is this: Does it matter if Rossley is fired?

Mike Sherman has an offensive background, and his team's offense is likely to match his philosophy regardless of who the coordinator is. That's why Rossley has stayed so long. Sherman has said that Rossley calls the same plays that he would call anyway. I would rather that Sherman get a coordinator who shakes things up a little and provides some fresh ideas, but that does not seem to be Sherman's M.O.

By the way, Norv Turner seems like a longshot to me because he's not a West Coast Offense guy.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
Ryan said:
Ryan said:

Use Firefox and the Adblock extension. Get the filter and the autoupdater extension too. I use them and I very rarely see ads anymore. Very few ads get past the filter. Right now I'm looking at the rumor site and I only see a couple ads.

I dont have problems with pop ups. I use firefox too. I am using it now. Nice browser.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
ahaug82 said:
Ryan said:
Ryan said:

I dont have problems with pop ups. I use firefox too. I am using it now. Nice browser.

Oh, I don't mean pop ups, I mean all ads.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Brett comes back with at least a new OC. If Walker, Murphy, and Green come back healthy things can turn around in a hurry.

If Brett retires I hope they keep the same staff so we get the top pick in the draft after next season. :Evil: :lol:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay - here's the deal.... and take it with a lump of coal, or whatever... but if (at this time) things are about to happen as I was told "before" the game... then this is what we will see come about.....

At 40 minutes before game time, my girl (Susan) calls me as I'm settin' up things for the game at our Clubhouse.... and her Boos (John) was "at the game" ... and he told her... that at Lambeau, everyone was being told (before the game) that this was Mike Sherman's last game. Remember, htis is before the game - and what was eeire about it, was that not four minutes before that, we're watching pre-game nonsense and Jay Glazer "was predicting" that either right after today's game, or tomorrow - Mike Sherman would most likely be fired.... it was just too weird.

My take is this -

TT tells Sherman he's welcome back for next year, BUT WITHOUT TOM ROSSLEY - ROSSLEY's FIRED.

Mike Sherman says (and I cannot verify this) "I quit .... If Rossley's not gonna be here, then neither am I" --- pending this is truly what may have happened - then who's the HC for 2006? I say it'll be Steve Mariucci as HC, and Jim Bates gets the DC Contract of a lifetime. OR..... Jim Bates get the HC chair and da Mooch gets the OC chair, pending..... either way, it's the salt which brings Favre back one more time.

This combination is the "only" way Favre comes back one more time. Otherwise, Brett Favre just played his last game at Lambeau!

John wasn't pullin' anyone's leg either when he called my girl to let her know....

Opinons?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPB ... that makes a lot of sense. I could see Sherman doing that. It'd give him an out. I mean it had to be hard to stay on the team while everyone knows he's been stripped of the GM role. That took a lot and I think he is great for enduring it like a man instead of cowardly running like many would in that position. He stuck through it, albeit sucked through it.

I don't see Mariucci as HC I do see him as OC and Bates as the HC. Bates has done way too good of a job with the defense to be ignored for a HC position. Unless theres something about the guy I don't know. Very possible.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Rossley was forced out. What does surprise is that in Cliff Christls' chat, he made it sound like Larry Beightol's job might be on the line. I always thought he was one of the better coaches we had, but Cliff made it sound like he might have gone overboard with his players this year.

If Sherman can save his job by cutting a few assistant coaches, it wouldn't surprise me, but Beightol being one of them axed would.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Bates bring an assistant with him from Miami? I'm not sure which one, but whoever it is, he would be the likely choice for DC if Bates became head coach.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Didn't Bates bring an assistant with him from Miami? I'm not sure which one, but whoever it is, he would be the likely choice for DC if Bates became head coach.
I believe Bates brought 3 assistants with him from Miami, 2 guys working with the D-line and 1 working with D-backs.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Update from my earlier post - whether or not any of us know anything about any of this --- my bud from Burlington, WI (down the street from Lake Geneva - my stompin' grounds, btw) called me up later on to say that the local TV station alluded to what John had said as only being speculation.

At this point, one has to remember, the Media has a certain duty, or they lose certain privileges on campus, so to speak. So whether what I've posted is closer to the truth or not, - heck, even I couldn't be a Seer on what Ted Thompson really will do.

For the record, I have no real fondness for Cliff Christl (and what ethnicity spells their family name like that?) ... If Larry beightol gets the axe, I'm writing straight to Ted Thompson about "his" idiocy ... Larry Beightol has been the mainstay of our Offensive Front Line for a long time now, and like Brett - he deserves a measure of understanding - he damn well doesn't deserve to be shown the door. That'll realy pi$$ me off - and I got no bones,whatsoever, telling TT all about my displeasure.

Go Packers - 2006 is gonna be a righteous year!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts