Rumor mill - Gilbert Brown to the Ravens ???

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumors say that "the Grave Digger " wants to play again this year , and the Pack has shown some interest , but a deal may already be in the works with the Ravens .

Has anyone heard anything on this ?

I'd hate to see Gilbert in anything but the Green and Gold . :cry:

GO PACK

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. How would that affect the line if he did return to the Packers? Having 2 huge men up front that would be interesting.

Pardon my ignorance, but why doesn't he play for the Packers anymore?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Interesting. How would that affect the line if he did return to the Packers? Having 2 huge men up front that would be interesting.

Pardon my ignorance, but why doesn't he play for the Packers anymore?
Agreed -- It was wrong the way Sherman let him go in the first place!
What's more? Mike Sherman knows it - I think TT should give this a real...look-see!

Mikey let him go because he was an injury spec waitin' to stay on the Surgery room list and he didn't want to pay the bill, I guess....
I don't remember his Salary being all that much of an issue - He came back and wanted to play for the League minimum - also wanted to be allowed to come back at next Season's home opener to say "So Long" to the fans... a true Green Bay Packer - all the way! THAT's exactly why I chose the Bears game as my game for the season to be at Lambeau Field for.... Everyone else seemed to be there - but NO Gravedigger - it was waaaay wrong!

It was Sherman who blocked all of that! If it was me? I'd have him on the witness stand on this issue... it smells to me... sorta like several other comments that blend in with this.... Mike Sherman doe have some 'splainin' to do over Gilbert and a certain D-Coach.. along with the McKenzie situation.. he'll never be able to run away from it...

YA GOTTA KNOW -----
Having those two back in there this year would be like 2003 all over again!
Lords knows, Gravy would enjoy the company!
Gravedigger would jump... and I do mean "jump" at the chance to come back for the Pack !
Like Brett - he never wanted to play for anyone else!

Anyone see anything new about this situation?

ALSO ----
I would invite everyone one of ya to write a letter - yea - write... a... letter to Ted Thompson specifically about Gilbert Brown... He's had a whole year off to get healthy - he could probably play the entire year without missin a click - and Gravy could rest up for the playoffs!

Get on it, people!

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gilbert should have diffinitely been brought back last year when Grady went down, Sherman needs to swallow his pride and bring him back if he is in good condition.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I know everyone could do...... (?????) ...is to get onboard with the other Forum directly related to the Packers Team - and that's

http://www.Officialbrettfavre.com

On there you can leave messages directly for Brett. It "is" for real!
I have left several messsages over there already.

Brett & Gilbert (I think) were always good friends... Maybe he can tickle TT's ear!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Gilbert, but I don't think he's the answer anymore. He's breaking down physically, and doesn't have the quickness he use to have. I admire Gilbert for what he's done for the Packers, especially playing with 1 arm when he got hurt, but I think it's time to move on. I'd be very surprised if the Packers resigned Gilbert.

Where were these rumors reported?

ricky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBPrez, get real. Gilbert Brown was a great addition to the Packers when they got him from the Vikings. However, this constant return to the past is ridiculous. I'm tired of hearing about "Bring back Gilbert." The man was a force for a few years, but his playing days are done. Personally, I think this "Ravens rumor" is pure BS. I won't even ask for a link- just give a credible source for this rumor. Good grief- I've already dealt with people talking about resurrecting Frank Winters. Well, if you want to hear a REALLY stupid rumor, I'll start (another) one. Since the Packers feel they need a veteran to back up Favre at QB this year, they are trying to lure (take your choice) Elway, Montana, Namath out of retirement. Now, happy? :roll:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"the man was a force for a few years...."
Well, for a ROOKIE poster, you sure know how to put yourself in the doghouse right away..... Ain't nuthin' like an instant authority on Packer Business... eh fellas?

1> Gilbert Brown was a foce to be reckoned with for ELEVEN years with the Pack!
(Few years...., my butt!)
2>Gilbert Brown was summarily let go by Sherman for practically NO reason.
HINT (rookie) --- They're "keeping" Gravy Jackson, when all that he needs is exactly what Gravedigger needed (in the offseason).... an oil change!
3>Even today, I bet Gravedigger can outplay Gravy... 5 times better.... and... smart boy - he's had a whole year to get rested and repaired.

4>You're NOT any type of an expert on the Packers or Gilbert Brown!
IF YOU ARE, HOTSHOT - then why are you posting here and not writing for PackersNews. etc? ANSWER? You're no expert at anything! Listening to how "YOU'VE" dealt with the whole world is plain tripe!

Back on topic - AZ's right... let's see someone post a link to this Ravens' brush with our Gravedigger! Then, we'll move on!

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[/quote]
Well, for a ROOKIE poster, you sure know how to put yourself in the doghouse right away[/quote]

my thoughts exactly.

my thoughts on digger are that if he does signed elsewhere, the pack showed no interest. if the pack offered him the minimum, he'd have the pen in his hand. he knows signing elsewhere would sever all business contacts in GB.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing back Gilbert Brown would add some much needed depth at defensive line. When we lost Grady Jackosn for part of last year, it really showed in our lack of ability to stop the run. If Jackson gets injured again (which is likely, IMO), we need someone to pick up the slack when he's out.

Gilbert is getting older, but he can still be a force against the run.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya - that lilttle paragraph isn't much to go on... Is this a report from someone inside the Gravedigger's inner circle? Tell ya the truth - THAT would make more sense than anything - or possibly he still has his Agent on the payroll and he's trying to generate interest - see what falls from the NFL tree.

I'm just finishin' up that letter to TT - so, who knows, maybe I'll get a response..... ya never know.. Heck, I had Bob Harlan call me after the three page letter I sent him last year.... and he called back several times... Ya just never know!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I'm just finishin' up that letter to TT - so, who knows, maybe I'll get a response..... ya never know.. Heck, I had Bob Harlan call me after the three page letter I sent him last year.... and he called back several times... Ya just never know!
Are you trying to tell us that you're secretly running the team?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cute - but no....RG - that's NOT what I said, now is it.....!

What a lot of Fans have found out - is that the Packers Org will actually write back, or call you on certain occasions depending on the discussion you've brought forth. There was one Fan down in Evansville - he had come up to Indy to visit and had stopped in with our Club to watch the game - in the process, he told us about his Dad having written the Packers - and Bob Harlan (again) wrote back personally.... So, as you see, it's not all that far-fetched.

Just to level the playing field - In my letter, I mostly discussed our Club and our hope to advance ourselves as a non-profit Org and what that would lead into... BUT, I also asked Bob Harlan directly if the Packers could at least make it possible for Gravedigger to be allowed to walk onto the field during the Home Opener (Bears) and say "So Long" to the fans - it was his fondest wish to do so..... Well, the Packers "did" make it possible for just about everyone else to be there -- Starr, Davis, Robinson, Dale, Majik, Winters, ****ey -- all were there at half time.... Yet, NO Gilbert Brown........ Never any clue as to why not either....

Which leads me back to our discussion concerning Mike SHerman and the tactics he's used to run the Team.. and by that I mean - on a personal level - man-to-man - Coach-to-Player... What is it that Gravedigger knows and Mike McKenzie blew his stack about? I sincerely think the reasonings are connected ... I just can't prove it!

At any rate - sorta like finding out why Dorsey Levens was no longer allowed to be the ball hawk in the second half of the 97-98 SuperBowl against Denver - which cost us that game, (btw, Mr. Holmgren, wasssup w-dat(??)) - maybe one day, we'll also find out why Gilbert was summarily let go "without warning"...... Hey, Inquiring minds wanna know!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
IPBprez said:
Are you trying to tell us that you're secretly running the team?

rofl ... his high horse that he so touts would give that impression

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grow up...slickster.... I was bein' real - Let's see you try and run a Fan Club... then report back what "you" go through in doing so! There is no high horse.. but you'd be amazed as to what sort of doors get opened up in the process....

Last year - after my discussion with Bob Harlan (my cell still holds his personal phone number) -- The Packers, through Community Relations - gave our Club a Green & Gold regulation football with all of the 2003 Players signatures on it - it went for silent auction to the tune of about $600 - we also had Mark Tauscher's Dad show up for the game and he brought us several items which went in the auction - including two personal photographs of him walking out onto the field and a signed personal jersey... in all we took in almost $1500 for charity - and for it NOT really being announced until the last minute(?) - I felt we did pretty good.

On top of that - in our efforts to purchase over 430 tickets (one check for around $40K) to get to the Packers/Colts game... everyone was forced to purchased a pre-season game ticket - Colts called the Packers event a Premium game - all teams do this with at least one game - well out of those tickets - we gave back to charity 169 tickets so that the Riley Hospital & Parkview Hospital kids (who never get to go anywhere) could get to see that game at our expense... to the tune of around $7500.00 - so, with one fell swoop - if you will - the IndyPackerBackers topped all of the other valid Packer Fan Clubs across the Country in giving to Charity in our first attempt.

The total comes close to $10,000 - and we didn't really create all that much of a ruckus in the process - only about half of the members even purchased tickets thru our Club - others had friends who were Colts fans.. and didn't want to go to that game - why? I have no idea....

So -as you can see - we 'are' for real - certainly not joking around OR trying to be superior.... the idea, Slick... is to allow a larger group like ours - to stand up and be recognized by the Community we live in - which thereby.... follow me here - also gets us the free advertising we can use to alert all other Packer fans in the region about our Club - and with that idea.. Mister - we not only grow our Membership - it feeds itself in the vein of "being a not-for-profit Charity Org" - which then becomes self-sustaining...

Get It Now?

ONE THING EVERYONE FINDS OUT ABOUT ME - sooner, or later if they aren't paying attention.... I do not think of myself as ever being better than anyone else - I leave that nonsense to the Liberals out there.... BUT, I do thnk of myself as everyone's equal... no better, no worse... but equal... like it says in the Declaration & the Constitution of this great Country. If you look closer at our Club Motto - I wrote that - and as long as I'm in charge around here - we'll live up to that slogan, which is ALSO...my SIG at the bottom of each posting.... Another thing which at first even amazed me, but made me feel good about 'my' politics... is that when giving to charity ...ever.... the Conservatives, not the Libs... are the ones who give the most - to the tune of around 80% of the total giving... curious that! Several Think Tanks have done surveys and research projects to verify...

Everywhere you go around here (Indy) - you see Bears fans, Vikings fans, etc., etc. - all not wanting to hang together... unless they're slamming the Packers, that is... otherwise - here in Indy - there is NO Bears fan club...and only a small-er contingent of Vikings fans over on the west side... the larger Clubs are the BrownsBackers and the Steelers Clubs up here near us on the upper east side. I also hear we have a Redskins group somewheres around here.... NO LIONS FANS to be found.

So - yea, the Club "is a big deal" - but I'm not.... I'm just the guy welcoming in the new people as they show up to cheer together around here... trying to make it more enjoyable "with their help".... You can take the EGO talk somewheres else...!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Cute - but no....RG - that's NOT what I said, now is it.....!
I was just trying to make a friendly little joke. :) I applaud the work you do and never had the impression you thought you were better than anyone else.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
I was just trying to make a friendly little joke. :) I applaud the work you do and never had the impression you thought you were better than anyone else.

Again, he speaks the funneh. I can only imagine what IPB said to your previous post. Seeing what he rebuttles to this one almost makes me wanna remove him from my IgBORE List.

Nah!!!!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Good - then leave it that way - the rest of us can have the more adult conversations.....
"It's better that way...."

he can't see any of your posts guy...actually i take that back, he can read my quote of your post.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
IPBprez said:
Good - then leave it that way - the rest of us can have the more adult conversations.....
"It's better that way...."

he can't see any of your posts guy...actually i take that back, he can read my quote of your post.

Thanks AG, wonderful. I just love reading posts from those who feel they have special poopiez that dont stink. JUST WONDERFUL.

btw AG i want my 17 seconds back that were jus wasted

Members online

Latest posts