Rumor mill - Gilbert Brown to the Ravens ???

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prez, you hit it with your first post. The loyalty,effort, and heart Gilbert gave to the GB Packers, they OWE it to him an invite him to try out anytime he wants to try to play. He gave up millions to stay in GB, took it on himself to lose weight to make a comeback, and played with one arm most of the season to help the Pack. I agree, I don't think Gilbert can win a spot on the team anymore, but dad gummit, he deserves the chance if that's what he wants. I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gilbert Brown
2001 11 games, 33 total tackles, 25 solo tackles, 8 assists, 0 sacks
2002 12 games, 36 total tackles, 23 solo tackles, 13 assists, 0 sacks
2003 14 games, 14 total tackles, 11 solo tackles, 3 assists, 0 sacks

After sitting out the 2000 season, Gilbert signed a one year contract to play in 2001. It seems to me, that as a free agent, Gilbert was offered a contract by the Redskins but Sherman wanted him back enough to give him a three year contract and a signing bonus, of which was 300,000 dollars of dead money in 2004.

It was obvious in 2003 Gilbert was on his last legs. He often left the field with leg injuries or winded. Fortunately for the Packers, they were able to pick up Grady Jackson around mid-season on waivers from New Orleans. Jackson in 2003 had 25 total tackles, 16 solo tackles, and 9 assists with 2.5 sacks for the Packers.

I suppose it

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE - From what I understand - Gilbert Brown going to the Ravens WON'T happen. Baltimore is not interested, even though I hear Gravedigger has resurrected himself and is.... in pretty good shape at this time....

IMHO - If they can sign (and just did) a 32 year old player by the name of Eric Little...? Then, TT could bring back Gravedigger - this time to "back up Gravy Jackson"....

One thing's for sure - If we lose our Nose Tackle again this year.... the Whole Season will be a tough test for the entire Team and the slate currently shows the Packers (in camp) going in the direction of probably re-signing Kampman and when THAT happens.. it's very possible that Cletidus Hunt will be gone by June 1.

So, if HUNT is gone - who would we put in there to give Gravy Jackson a rest, or take over pending he ever got hurt....? I really don't think we have anyone... Donnell Washington isn't large enuf, is he? Not for that position... I don't think he is... but I'll check... He's still a Rookie anyway and they would walk al over him for at least half the season even if they did put him in there...

Anyone hear anything else?

Slick - You got any more half-wit comments?
(I can see several are on the edge of their computer chairs with baited breath)

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington is about 6' 6" 325 lbs and is athletic. I remeber when they drafted him and the Packers thought he could also play power end but at any position, he'd be a project. Unfortunately he was on the IR with a torn arch. Lee 6' 5", 325 is another candidate for NT. He been injuried in each of his first two seasons and hasn't played much. As I look at the defensive line, I see a unit with unfulfilled potential.

Bates will change all of that. We'll have defense this year.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FANS LOVE GILBERT BROWN

Gilbert got faster when he lost weight and his injuries are not his fault. He would engage 2 blockers and the weaker lineman were being tossed and rolled onto the sides and back of his legs.

More than anything his type of leadership is needed on defense. How about a preseason goal line stand with a torn bicep! Events like that make him a fan favorite.

Character matters

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gilbert was one of my favorite Players of all time. But, you could see he just didn't have during his last year with the Packers. Grady was getting more snaps and Gilbert was getting fewer. If he could have played, I'm sure the Packers would have played him because Gilbert still had another year on his contract when he was released. It happens to the best of them. They get old, beat up and tired.
I'd like to see Gilbert make a comeback with any team, including the Packers but unless he's made a near miraculous recovery, I just don't see it happening.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington "is" a big fella... and I had forgotten about Lee --- You're talking about James Lee, correct?
Sorta makes ya wonder what they're doin' here if they can't get off the Fred Taylor Injury Listings.
Just the same - I think we'd all agree with the Bates comment - or at least we HOPE he can bring it about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts