Rule changes for 2016 season

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This 25 yard line change baffles me. As does the automatic ejections. Why mess with a great thing. "Player safety" excuse is a overlay for the underplay. They are making a game with more offense and less defense , that can be manipulated by the refs. Corruption and cheating to curve the numbers the way the money dictates... In the name of player safety... Pffft. Yea right.
I am a loyalist. I love this game and dont want change. If you are afraid of concussions then play golf for crying out loud. But every time a rule changes, we lose reference of who is the best ever... At this rate, 100 years from now it will be like trying to compare players from two different sports.

How many rule changes has soccer or hockey had in the last decade? For reference?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How many rule changes has soccer or hockey had in the last decade? For reference?

While I don't follow soccer, I can tell you that hockey, just like Football, is always tweaking their rules, including overtime and instant replay, amongst many other revisions. It's a professional sport, with a lot of money involved. Technology, safety, profits and fans expectations play a big role in how sports and the rules evolve. Some people like yourself don't like or want change, not sure why, but you aren't alone.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hey WIMM, you are a stat guru. Any stats regarding the number of touchbacks vs short kickoffs for this past season. I know there were a lot of people concerned that teams would kick it short and force a return thus having the opposite effect of moving the ball to the 25.

The number of short kicks from the team's own 35 significantly increased during the regular season in 2016. This year, 539 of 2,398 (22.5%) kickoffs ended up being fielded short of the end zone compared to 314 out of 2,344 (13.4%) in 2015.

On the other hand the overall touchback percentage increased from 57.4% in 2015 to 59.0% this season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The number of short kicks from the team's own 35 significantly increased during the regular season in 2016. This year, 539 of 2,398 (22.5%) kickoffs ended up being fielded short of the end zone compared to 314 out of 2,344 (13.4%) in 2015.

On the other hand the overall touchback percentage increased from 57.4% in 2015 to 59.0% this season.

Thanks, I knew I could count on you. So the overall result was that kickoffs that reached the endzone were less likely to be returned but fewer kickoffs reached the endzone thus guaranteeing a return. Seems like mixed results to me. I guess the best way to see if it had an impact on injuries is to see how many kickoffs resulted in injuries this year compared to years past.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I guess the best way to see if it had an impact on injuries is to see how many kickoffs resulted in injuries this year compared to years past.

True, you would have to contact the league office to figure out numbers about that though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And pretty good bet that any numbers you receive that are judgemental will be skewed most positively towards the rule change.

We need to have someone watch every kickoff and see whether or not anyone was injured during each one.

Members online

Latest posts