1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rule changes for 2016 season

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Mar 23, 2016.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Jul 23, 2012
    The most important ones include moving the ball to the 25-yard line after a touchback on a kickoff as well as allowing teams to now designate a player on injured reserve "designated to return" retroactively.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Dec 7, 2011
    It took me a while to find a site that actually listed all of the changes. Shockingly it was the NFL's website: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...asses-automatic-ejection-rule-for-2016-season

It looks like they passed the automatic ejection rule today as well.

As for the 25-yard line touchback rule, I guess I'm fine with it. However, I still think that if the league is really concerned about safety then they should just eliminate kickoffs all together. Otherwise, maybe give an incentive to kickers to boot it out of the endzone. The offense gets the ball on the 25 if they down it in the endzone. If the kicking team kicks it beyond the endzone, the offense starts on the 20.

I like the boomerang IR change. It would be good if it was limitless. Any player placed on IR can come back if healthy enough.
  3. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Nov 8, 2012
    I like the IR boomerang change as well, but I don't know if limitless would be a good thing. I think it would be heavily abused to expand rosters.

I'm not totally sure that 25 yard line touchbacks will actually cut down on kickoff returns. I think more teams might try to pin teams deep on kickoffs rather than kicking everything into the endzone.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Aug 9, 2015
    Yes....just like punts to the 10 yard line.