Roy Williams Suspended

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a blatant horse collar, and very dangerous. The funny thing was that Aikman was announcing the game and he was trying to pass it off as not a true horse collar.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
That was a blatant horse collar, and very dangerous. The funny thing was that Aikman was announcing the game and he was trying to pass it off as not a true horse collar.
I know! What a "homer!!!"
Like it makes a difference if you pull the guy down behind the line of scrimmage, or past it. Either way, it's a dangerous illegal pulldown.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Even the Dallas media has labeled him as a dirty lazy player.

Horse Collar = you got out of position and now have to do something cause the guy is past you.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another link to why I hate the Cowboys

"He's been given so many warnings, plus the rule was put in place for him," Cowboys receiver Patrick Crayton said. "That'd be a red light flashing in my head."

Williams' defensive teammates were far more supportive, saying the tactic is far less dangerous than cut blocks that are legal for offensive linemen.

"It's a dumb rule," linebacker Akin Ayodele said. "It handicaps him being an aggressive safety. He sees someone running by him, what's he supposed to do? Stop? It's a split-second decision."

Linebacker Greg Ellis said it's wrong for the league to take away a starter for a game that has playoff implications over something like this.

"Obviously I'm biased, but if it was another team, I'd say that's a bad way to enter a critical game off a guy trying to be aggressive and trying to make a play," he said.

"Roy's been in on 105 tackles now and three of them have been on that variety," Phillips said. "Where is the line as far if you hit them too hard or have a helmet to helmet -- are we going to suspend them? ... But we have to go by the rules, whatever those rules are. They've been basically fining people to keep them from doing these things. They evidently thought it got to the point with Roy where they felt like they needed to do more."

At least one guy out of five understand that rules made specifically for individual players are gonna be enforced when that exact player breaks them.

As for the other guys: I wonder what TO thinks? And I wonder if they realize that what you are supposed to do when a guy (who is still slow coming off knee surgery) "runs by you" is this: Hang your head in shame, then go home and work on your speed.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
You have to respect the way Crayton handled it... the correct way.. Roy has been warned and doesn't change his ways.. something had to be done.

Changed my impression of Crayton... it was the correct call to sit him and Hamlin should have been ejected IMO for the head shot as well.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to respect the way Crayton handled it... the correct way.. Roy has been warned and doesn't change his ways.. something had to be done.

Changed my impression of Crayton... it was the correct call to sit him and Hamlin should have been ejected IMO for the head shot as well.

I was impressed by his response, too, which is why i stuck it in there. I think it may be a reflection of how Mr. Owens feels about it, since most of Crayton's quotes sound like echoes of TO's current mood. They're like bosom buddies....

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's rephrase Ellis' comments a bit.

"Obviously I'm biased, but if it was another team, I'd say that's a bad way to enter a critical game off a guy trying to blatantly violate a rule that was made because of him, and which has been highly publicized by the league."

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Horsecollar is ridiculous. It's football it happens. No touching the facemask, roughing the passer, roughing the kicker, no helmet to helmet, no going low at QB.

LET THESE GUYS PLAY FOOTBALL!

OP
OP
P

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Horsecollar is ridiculous. It's football it happens. No touching the facemask, roughing the passer, roughing the kicker, no helmet to helmet, no going low at QB.

LET THESE GUYS PLAY FOOTBALL!

AND KILL THEMSELVES IN THE PROCESS! These guys have short enough careers as it is. Let's not end their lives in the process. Helmet to helmet hits are scary scary things, I was on the receiving end of one as a fullback in high school and was unconscience for several minutes on the field and wasn't cleared to play for the rest of the season (six more games plus playoffs).

IT IS POSSIBLE TO TACKLE SOMEONE WITHOUT DRAGGING THEM DOWN AT THE NECK. When you're pulling someone down against the inertia of their body (basically just all their weight coming down on their ankles, knees, legs), you're putting 225+ pounds on those joints that just aren't meant to take that kind of strain. Roy is obviously a very dumb person. Exhibit A: he can't cover. Exhibit B: he doesn't know how to tackle. Go for their legs! Or their waist! If you're hand is able to reach his collar, you can definitely wrap up on their waist and drive through them (form tackle) and not be a big moron about it and get fined 3 times in one year.

I realize that this is football, but with the average span of an NFL career lasting just over 3 years, and with injuries being a big reason why players careers are cut short (look at Eric ****erson...such a sad story).

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AND KILL THEMSELVES IN THE PROCESS! These guys have short enough careers as it is. Let's not end their lives in the process. Helmet to helmet hits are scary scary things, I was on the receiving end of one as a fullback in high school and was unconscience for several minutes on the field and wasn't cleared to play for the rest of the season (six more games plus playoffs).

IT IS POSSIBLE TO TACKLE SOMEONE WITHOUT DRAGGING THEM DOWN AT THE NECK. When you're pulling someone down against the inertia of their body (basically just all their weight coming down on their ankles, knees, legs), you're putting 225+ pounds on those joints that just aren't meant to take that kind of strain. Roy is obviously a very dumb person. Exhibit A: he can't cover. Exhibit B: he doesn't know how to tackle. Go for their legs! Or their waist! If you're hand is able to reach his collar, you can definitely wrap up on their waist and drive through them (form tackle) and not be a big moron about it and get fined 3 times in one year.

I realize that this is football, but with the average span of an NFL career lasting just over 3 years, and with injuries being a big reason why players careers are cut short (look at Eric ****erson...such a sad story).

amen.

Members online

Latest posts