Rouse is waiting, but I think he will take the job soon!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I think Bush's style of play suits the defensive scheme we are going for better than Tramon's. Like packinblack said, on Bush's good days, he's shut down in man coverage.

But that doesn't really make sense to me. That's the same as saying when Bigby has a good day, it's really good as well. But he hasn't had one of those in awhile. Now, I love Bigby, but I love the Packers more, and I want the best players in at all times, especially ball hogs that are 6'4. One good day and 3 bad chalks up to be overall bad. Just generally speaking.

I agree with the limited playing time for Tramon, but what more can you ask from someone? A player makes the most of the playing time he's being given, and performs well, why wouldn't they get a few more opportunities to continue to develop?

And if healthy, I think Blackmon may have more upside then both of them. There's got to be some reason he wasn't placed on the injured reserve, especially after what happened with Wynn.

the point i was trying to make is that Bush's strength is his man coverage. yes, he made many mistakes early on, and many against dallas, but his style of play meshes better within the defensive scheme.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:
I think Bush's style of play suits the defensive scheme we are going for better than Tramon's. Like packinblack said, on Bush's good days, he's shut down in man coverage.

But that doesn't really make sense to me. That's the same as saying when Bigby has a good day, it's really good as well. But he hasn't had one of those in awhile. Now, I love Bigby, but I love the Packers more, and I want the best players in at all times, especially ball hogs that are 6'4. One good day and 3 bad chalks up to be overall bad. Just generally speaking.

I agree with the limited playing time for Tramon, but what more can you ask from someone? A player makes the most of the playing time he's being given, and performs well, why wouldn't they get a few more opportunities to continue to develop?

And if healthy, I think Blackmon may have more upside then both of them. There's got to be some reason he wasn't placed on the injured reserve, especially after what happened with Wynn.

the point i was trying to make is that Bush's strength is his man coverage. yes, he made many mistakes early on, and many against dallas, but his style of play meshes better within the defensive scheme.

Fair enough. I guess I thought Williams had nice man coverage ability too, but i'm not sure. What is williams, a zone guy?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that there's been a little miscommunication on my part here.

I think Bush has shown more upside than Tramon, but he's had a few bad games where you'd almost rather see someone reliable in there.

totally agree with you Dodd on Blackmon, I have high hopes for that kid, and I want to see him becoming an every Sunday player.

As far as the "QB" of the defense, I believe that it's Barnett getting the call from the sidelines and being mindful of run gaps, blitzes and things of that nature for the front seven.

However, as the article stated, Collins is calling those same things, but only for the secondary. The play itself is still signaled in to Barnett, but Collins makes the adjustment calls for the secondary, definitely not Barnett.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We tend to fall in love with our DB's when they have had very little playing time and have been somewhat protected in the defensive schemes. It's a lot harder for them to keep looking good when they are given more responsibilities and opposing teams are able to game plan to exploit their weaknesses. The coaching staff's knowledge of these guys from their performances in practice plays a big part in deciding who plays. And it is getting late in the year to be messing with these positions.

I'm afraid the time for Rouse and Williams to shine may be next year, not this year, though they both show some potential.

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all - I really like what I've seen from Rouse. I agree it's limited and the coaches got to have some reason for now playing him instead of Bigby. Consistency might very well be the answer... also I don't know about him missing tackles. I don't think it's that bad and he's been more than solid in the games he's played. To me, Bigby is a bomb waiting to explode really - I thought I liked him, now I just don't know.

About Bush... I don't recall him playing one solid game against anything than subpar receivers... even then I think he was quite lucky with them dropping the balls thrown to them.

I'm all for the consistent part of things (helped on the running game), but clearly we've had noticeable problems with the pass coverage on the safety positions all season... why the hell not do something to change that. Colledge got benched... he's young?

Again - I bet the coaches got very good reasons for doing what they are doing... and they know alot more about this than most of us... but that's just my 2 cents.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all - I really like what I've seen from Rouse. I agree it's limited and the coaches got to have some reason for now playing him instead of Bigby. Consistency might very well be the answer... also I don't know about him missing tackles. I don't think it's that bad and he's been more than solid in the games he's played. To me, Bigby is a bomb waiting to explode really - I thought I liked him, now I just don't know.

About Bush... I don't recall him playing one solid game against anything than subpar receivers... even then I think he was quite lucky with them dropping the balls thrown to them.

I'm all for the consistent part of things (helped on the running game), but clearly we've had noticeable problems with the pass coverage on the safety positions all season... why the hell not do something to change that. Colledge got benched... he's young?

Again - I bet the coaches got very good reasons for doing what they are doing... and they know alot more about this than most of us... but that's just my 2 cents.

I agree with your assessment on Bush. He's just flat out bad. Someone on here said Bush had been solid this year, but I think they were watching a different guy then me

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what positions he plays; I want Rouse in every game we play. The man makes us a better defense just being on the field in my opinion. Some sort of magic force I think.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
As far as the "QB" of the defense, I believe that it's Barnett getting the call from the sidelines and being mindful of run gaps, blitzes and things of that nature for the front seven.

However, as the article stated, Collins is calling those same things, but only for the secondary. The play itself is still signaled in to Barnett, but Collins makes the adjustment calls for the secondary, definitely not Barnett.

Ah ha.
Thanks for the clarification. DH and I were right then. Or actually, I think we were all right then.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point I am making is this.
Nick Collins is a solid athlete, but he will never be able to be a QB of the defense. Nick Collins is able to play FS when Woodson and Harris are man to man. But when the Packers had to switch to zone defense, Collins ineptitude to QB the defense was evident.

I tried to discuss Nick Collins inability to play SS in the preseason. Another completely ridiculous poster here compared that to KGB being a kicker. So I really do not expect much from this place.

I question Nick Collins' intellectual ability to read defenses and read coverages as well as his strategy to cover and block TE's running pass routes.

Bush is an inferior athlete compared to many NFL slot WR and will continue to digress as teams continue to exploit his many flaws.JMO.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins is a solid athlete, but he will never be able to be a QB of the defense. Nick Collins is able to play FS when Woodson and Harris are man to man. But when the Packers had to switch to zone defense, Collins ineptitude to QB the defense was evident.

I tried to discuss Nick Collins inability to play SS in the preseason. Another completely ridiculous poster here compared that to KGB being a kicker. So I really do not expect much from this place.

I question Nick Collins' intellectual ability to read defenses and read coverages as well as his strategy to cover and block TE's running pass routes.

Bush is an inferior athlete compared to many NFL slot WR and will continue to digress as teams continue to exploit his many flaws.JMO.

I agree with this assessment. Collins has proven serviceable, but has also proven he probably doesn't have the ability to be a leroy butler type of guy. And true, his inability to dictate coverage assignments against Dallas was evident. I don't remember if you were lobbying for Rouse, but I don't think that would be a smart move at this point in his career, and at this point in the season. I can't see him being any better than Collins, at this point, in making play-calls, and the guy just can't tackle.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree 100% with your assessment. Collins does not seem to have a knack for the ball. I think he's a backup kind of guy. He really didn't do much for the last 3 years. I like the guy, but him and Bush aren't ezxactly imposing.

I think it all starts up front. That's the key to our Defense. I actually think as our DE's go, so goes the entire Defense. If we can get pressure the secondary is ok but give the WR's time to run in the open field and it's trouble

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett relays the plays from the sidelines for the defense and makes adjustments at the line for the LBs and DL.

Collins makes the calls in terms of adjustments in the secondary based on how the offense lines up.

Its pretty basic. Every team in the NFL does this.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it all starts up front. That's the key to our Defense. I actually think as our DE's go, so goes the entire Defense. If we can get pressure the secondary is ok but give the WR's time to run in the open field and it's trouble

But that's the problem. We play a team with a top tier OL and they tear us apart because our DBs can't do their job in stopping the pass if the DEs can't get pressure. Dallas, NE, and the Colts all have top tier OLs. This is going to be a problem that will need to be addressed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts