Roster is a work in progress

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

After a full training camp, Ted Thompson isn't finished making over the Green Bay Packers' 2006 roster.

The team's general manager reduced his team on final cutdowns to 51 players, two below the NFL maximum, and it's likely he'll fill one or both of those spots as soon as today, when released players are awarded on waivers.

Thompson's moves included cutting two injury-prone players once regarded as promising prospects, halfback Najeh Davenport and second-year cornerback Mike Hawkins, as well as one 2006 draft pick of note, fourth-rounder Cory Rodgers. The Packers selected Rodgers to fill a major void at kick and punt returner.

But of at least as much interest were the areas he left short on the roster: receiver, where he kept only four players when most teams keep five or six; offensive line, where he kept only eight players instead of nine or 10; and safety, where he kept only three players instead of at least four.

Thompson didn't swing any last-minute deals before cuts were due at 3 p.m. Saturday, and he's generally unwilling to part with draft picks to bring in potential starters or prominent backups, especially with a young and rebuilding team. So it appears any additions will be via waivers or signing players after they clear waivers.

He wouldn't comment on anyone cut by other teams, but it will be interesting to see whether he makes a claim on a high-risk player such as receiver Charles Rogers. Rogers was a huge disappointment in Detroit as the second overall draft pick in 2003 because of injuries, a four-game suspension for violating the league's drug policy, and a terrible work ethic.

"I'm never going to be reluctant to try to help our team," Thompson said.

"We haven't had those (trade) offers over the last couple of days. People normally call you with people they're going to release, and they try to get something for that."

Though Thompson brushed it off as "just the way it worked out," it's worth noting how young the Packers have become on his watch. He kept 10 of 12 draft picks — Rodgers and seventh-round defensive end Dave Tollefson were the only cuts — and 14 players who are rookies or first-year players.

Along with 10 second-year pros, that means that 24 of the 51 players have one season or less of NFL experience, which suggests a massive change in the core of roster.

"We felt like after the minicamps and into the spring that we had some pretty good rookies and young guys that we felt like would have a chance to compete for a roster spot," Thompson said.

In Davenport, Thompson released a running back who had some impressive moments and averaged a healthy 4.9 yards a carry on 217 carries. He was unusually fast for a 250-pound back, but lost the faith of Thompson and the coaches because of his long injury history and his lack of vision for the new zone-blocking run scheme.

That leaves Samkon Gado and Noah Herron backing up starter Ahman Green. Gado also has had some difficulty adjusting to the quick, one-cut read in the new system, but is younger than Davenport (23 to Davenport's 27) and a better all-around back. Herron is more limited physically but showed an ability to function well in the new system — 65 yards in 12 carries against Tennessee and an average of 4.0 yards a carry for the preseason — though it was almost exclusively against backup defenses.

The Packers shopped Davenport during training camp and in the days leading to final cuts but couldn't find a taker for a player who missed 25 out of a possible 64 games because of injuries, including a broken ankle that required surgery and cost him the final 11 games of 2005. He also missed a week of training camp because of a calf injury.

"We had some teams inquire about (Davenport), nothing ever came to fruition," Thompson said. "We just felt like the other three guys, we wanted to keep them, and this way Najeh, I'm sure, will be working somewhere (today)."

Besides shorting the roster at three positions, Thompson went a player heavy at two others. He kept Tory Humphrey as the No. 4 tight end, and kept 10 defensive linemen, including undrafted rookie Jason Hunter, who showed some talent as an outside pass rusher. Hunter, who had half a sack against Tennessee, made the team ahead of, among others, former third-round pick Kenny Peterson.

It's almost a given the Packers will add a fifth receiver after cutting Rodgers and sixth-year pro Rod Gardner. They kept street free-agent Ruvell Martin, who was on their practice squad for most of last season and caught four passes for 39 yards in the preseason, including three for 26 yards against Tennessee. Martin and Hunter were the two longest shots to make the team.

"If I'm not mistaken, each of them practiced every, single day and every, single practice," Thompson said of Martin and Hunter. "Ruvell was here the entire offseason. So I think he deserves to have a place on this team. He's also played well. I thought he especially played well (Friday). He's got good hands, good size, he's learned how to use his body. He's done OK.

"(Hunter) has kept on getting better. Coming into the NFL from (Division I-AA) Appalachian State is more of a jump than coming from a big school in a major conference. But he's continued to get better, and he plays as hard as he can play every snap, and he had some success (Friday) getting some sacks and things like that."

Whether Thompson will be willing to risk claiming or later signing Charles Rogers could be known as early as today. Rogers' salary is hardly prohibitive — he received a $14 million bonus as the No. 2 pick in 2003, but his base salary this season is $757,917 — and the Packers are fifth on the priority list for waivers. If the Packers claim a player on waivers, they inherit his contract.

But he's had two broken collarbones and is one positive drug test from a year's suspension. He's had only 36 receptions for 447 yards and four touchdowns in his three seasons, and he's developed a reputation for being poorly motivated.

"Maybe this is just one of those wrong-place, wrong-time things," Lions President Matt Millen told The Associated Press. "I was a big fan of Charles when I drafted him, and I still am. He just needs to decide to use all of his skills."

Thompson also might be more interested in obtaining a young, perhaps lesser-known prospect to develop at receiver.

Among the better-known receivers cut Saturday were Denver's Darius Watts, a second-round pick in 2004 who caught only two passes last year, and Jabar Gaffney, a second-round pick by Houston in 2002 who was cut by Philadelphia.

Thompson will need to find a fourth safety after cutting Atari Bigby, who has a broken knuckle that will hinder him for several more weeks, and Tra Boger. The three safeties on the roster are starters Nick Collins and Marquand Manuel, and sixth-round draft pick Tyrone Culver.

Thompson also is looking for insurance at guard. He kept only eight offensive linemen, including three backups: second-round pick Daryn Colledge at left guard and left tackle, second-year pro Junius Coston at right guard and right tackle, and second-year pro Chris White at center and both guards.

"It's not necessarily etched in stone that you have to (have at least nine offensive linemen)," Thompson said. "We rarely suit up even eight (on game day) anymore. Most times, you suit up seven during a game. In fact, Indianapolis over the course of the last three seasons I think only carried seven, at a maximum eight, on their roster. But if we find somebody we like, we'll certainly look."

Members online

Latest posts