Roster could use plenty of propping up...

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are needs everywhere, in spite of what general manager Ted Thompson says. The Green Bay Packers are switching to a 3-4 defense, yet still lack several key parts to make such a move successful. Both of the Packers' starting tackles and cornerbacks from a year ago were on the wrong side of 30. Green Bay also could use upgrades - or at least competition - at running back, safety, kicker and punter.
Coming off a dreadful 6-10 season, the Packers could go in several directions with the ninth overall pick in Saturday's NFL draft. Thompson insists, though, he won't alter his draft board simply to fill a need...

Roster could use plenty of propping up - JSOnline

It is interesting how they talk about Al Haris not having as much success in the 3-4. I hope that is not the case because that will cause some major issues for the pass defense if he cannot make a successful transition.

At least they give Aaron Rodgers a thumbs up!

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that Al Harris is one of the premier D Backs in the league, if he can stay healthy he is going to do well in any style.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part, I think Harris will adjust fine. And yeah I was disappointed with his play in that game against Plax... But we have to look forward and realize he is going to be our guy in the backfield. I am expecting him to do fine.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I've said that over and over again, Harris is a pass interference waiting to happen. BUT, the Giants won the Superbowl with Corey Webster at corner and James Butler at safety. If we get our pass rusher in this draft, and our Dline can create the gaps, which I think they will, Al and Charles won't have to cover a receiver 10 seconds per play, so they'll be good next year...

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giants won because of the D-Line and Linebackers. It is hard to have a complete secondary without someone getting picked on and that person having to commit penalties to make up for it...

Which that goes in line with your 10 seconds to cover a player, the Giants "rarely" had to do that...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Al Harris is, and has been for the last few years, one of the most overrated players in the league. He doesn't have speed, he doesn't have height, he's consistently burned by both tall, physical receivers, and speed receivers. C Wood, on the other hand, is the only true lockdown corner on our roster.

Honestly, I would look long and hard at starting Tramon Williams next year and making Harris our nickle back. They won't do it, but they should.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is, and has been for the last few years, one of the most overrated players in the league. He doesn't have speed, he doesn't have height, he's consistently burned by both tall, physical receivers, and speed receivers. C Wood, on the other hand, is the only true lockdown corner on our roster.

Honestly, I would look long and hard at starting Tramon Williams next year and making Harris our nickle back. They won't do it, but they should.

Second to that. Tramondous Williams should get a chance at the starting spot.

Charles Woodson is just perfect. If you look for "Shutdown Corner" in the dictionary, there's a photo of Charles Woodson.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
NOOOO! i love al man! I don't think his stats do him justice, because of his ability in the backfield. Quarterbacks dont want to throw it near him. I agree he is a "penalty-machine" but to say he can't lockdown a reciever is insane. Granted he has been burned before by star recievers, but as stated earlier we have no pass rush. Its hard not to get burned when the quarterback has all day to throw. Just my 2 cents anyway.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the playoffs are not out of the question this year, the superbowl is definitely pushing it this year, but next year, depending how our pick this year pan out, we could go all the way.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what every one said about the 2007 season too. If things fall in the right places a Super Bowl bearth could definitely happen. The NFC is not over powering from a top down perspective and I think with the new additions of Raji and Matthews we could definitely make some noise.

dylancroeker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al's got game, but when we went to the bump and run corner strategy, I think Mccarthy said to em "You know what, we'll take some penalties in exchange for being able to trust you both one on one with wide-outs." Woodson has adapted to that freedom unbelievably well, because he was always a more disciplined player, but I think Al's talent, which is admittedly meager, is maximized by tolerating his penalties so he can get physical and not get burned.

With the spunkgasmic front 7 we're shaping up for our switch to 3-4, Al's going to be burned less. Let's start phasing in Tramon so that Al (who is, case you din't know, OLD) Can be more effective and keep those wheels fresh.

dylancroeker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more thing: Super Bowl? Eeeeasyyyy tigers. Let's beat out the friggin Vikings before we beat the Steelers lol.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say we were the best team in the league. But neither was AZ last season. All I'm saying is that I believe with this team we can go far. And with competence, and a little luck, we can reach and even win the superbowl. It wouldn't be the first time a very good but not great team won it all...

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah AZ was a massive surprise. It just goes to show you that because certain teams are hyped doesn't mean they are going to go deep. AZ was given no chance and they made it to the Superbowl. At this point, anything is possible for the Packers and the Superbowl is not out of the question. I will have some more solid opinions after pre-season. :)

Wolvi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC Champs

Looking at the great sched. we pulled, i think we can make it to the championship game, then who knows from there? Love our D, and if our O can get the running game going early (like Grant was running from the second half of the season before last), the skies the limit!! I wish we had a punter like Jon back....then we would be solid almost everywhere...

PackerFan89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green bay has the third easiest schedule out of every team based on last years record. So i think if Raji and Matthews pan out we will make a deep playoff run. As much as i love Al, he is getting up there in age but he can still play and like some people pointed out if we do get a pass rush our secondary will be like the beinging of last year with 6+ INT returned of TD's

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts