Rosenhaus tells Favre to call him

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rosenhaus replies to Favre's criticism
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: July 13, 2005

After another round of disparaging remarks from quarterback Brett Favre regarding Green Bay Packers teammate Javon Walker's holdout, Walker's agent suggested that Favre should call him so they can discuss the situation.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus is upset with the recent comments Brett Favre has made about Rosenhaus' clients possibly holding out of training camp.

Drew Rosenhaus said Wednesday that he was bothered by Favre's most recent comments, which were made this week during interviews with several ESPN-sponsored programs. In addition to taking Walker to task for skipping the Packers' mandatory minicamp in April, he reiterated his position that the wide receiver is not doing himself any favors in the locker room with his current stance.

"I wish he would call me so we could talk and I could let him know the facts," Rosenhaus said. "I think there are a lot of things he doesn't know about our situation. There are a lot of things he needs to know."

Some of the remarks Favre made were aimed at Rosenhaus, who has signed on some of the NFL's top players and in some cases is threatening a holdout.

Rosenhaus defended Walker's decision to skip minicamp and said that his client would have attended if the Packers had given him some kind of assurance they would address his contract situation in the near future. He said the Packers refused to even consider it.

The agent said it was very important to Walker that people know he would have come in if the Packers had given him their word they would discuss a new deal at some point this season. He said he approached them on behalf of Walker in February to get the ball rolling on a new deal but has gotten nowhere.

Rosenhaus said the Packers have not been amenable to doing anything toward upgrading Walker's contract this season. He said a decision on whether Walker would report for training camp in two weeks hadn't been made.

Rosenhaus said it was completely untrue that Walker sprang his contract demands on the Packers at the last minute and then kept them in the dark in regard to whether he would attend the mandatory minicamp.

Favre didn't attack Rosenhaus directly regarding his handling of Walker, but he did knock his tactics and said holding out was akin to turning your back on your teammates.

"I'd hate to walk into the locker room every day and know I turned my back on the players," Favre said on the ESPN show "Cold Pizza." "Ultimately the player has to make a decision. The agent can make a recommendation, but you can say yeah or no.

"If you're going to listen to your agent and let him tell you everything and you go by it, I mean, you have to step up for yourself and your team. The money is out there to be had. When a contract is signed you understand that if you play well, maybe in time they'll renegotiate."

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:
"I wish he would call me so we could talk and I could let him know the facts," Rosenhaus said. "I think there are a lot of things he doesn't know about our situation. There are a lot of things he needs to know."

Ummmm, to me it sure sounds like Brett knows about "our situation" as Drew put it..

"If you're going to listen to your agent and let him tell you everything and you go by it, I mean, you have to step up for yourself and your team. The money is out there to be had. When a contract is signed you understand that if you play well, maybe in time they'll renegotiate."

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from profootballtalk.com...

Agent Drew Rosenhaus wants Packers QB Brett Favre to give him a call so that they can chat about the reasons for WR Javon Walker's offseason AWOL. ("Hello, Drew, this is Brett Favre. Javon needs to honor his contract. So does Grady Jackson. And Terrell Owens. Goodbye.")

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
::Brett drops his SB ring, lombardi trophy, mvp trophies on the table and tells Rosenhomo to "call this ****"::

What a sack. There is nothing to discuss, you tell your clients to hold out for money - simple.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that Rosenhaus would be interfering with another agent's player to have that kind of contact with Favre.

It amazes me that Favre would have to call Rosenhaus to "get the facts" regarding what happens in the Packer Locker Room.

I can not recall a time when the Packers have dealt with a player in bad faith.

This guy Rosemhaus is going to have a bad year.

He is starting too late in the year, his attention is spread too thin, and he cannot bad mouth every team in the league without hurting his credibility further.

Soviet style negotiating works once maybe twice but lack of cooperation means that teams shoose not to deal with you in the future.

He got McKenzie out of Green Bay but did not get him more money.

I wonder how he will spin his losses this year.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly calicheese...teams throughout the NFL will see this and not deal w/ his clients, then when he can't sell his clients, he's screwed.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

This comment bothers me. Why are their facts about Javon's contract that are 'need' to be known by any other player? It almost reminds me of divide and conquer method police use. Let's get them one on one to brain wash them!! ya know?

If I was a 15yr vet on the most storied franchise with three MVPs and a Super Bowl ring, I'd say okay Drew, lets chat, but its gonna be on live TV face to face with Jim Rome asking the questions. (I've slammed Rome before, but I have faith he wouldn't drop the ball on this one)

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:

This comment bothers me. Why are their facts about Javon's contract that are 'need' to be known by any other player? It almost reminds me of divide and conquer method police use. Let's get them one on one to brain wash them!! ya know?

If I was a 15yr vet on the most storied franchise with three MVPs and a Super Bowl ring, I'd say okay Drew, lets chat, but its gonna be on live TV face to face with Jim Rome asking the questions. (I've slammed Rome before, but I have faith he wouldn't drop the ball on this one)

Awesome idea. I'd love for Rome to nail Rosen@#$% down. I'mnot a huge Jim Rome fan but I agree, it would be serious entertainment.

I can't wait to see how this beginning of the season unfolds. I think Javon and Grady are in for rude awakenings.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you were a pro football player, would you want your agent giving out details of your contract negotiations to another player? What a a**hole this guy is.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philtration said:
If you were a pro football player, would you want your agent giving out details of your contract negotiations to another player? What a a**hole this guy is.

Just proves hes all about the $ and nothing more.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Rome would tear Rosenhaus apart. Like the guy or not, he doesn't take it easy with his questions/comments. Remember the time he called Jim Everett "Chris"? That was awesome!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What Rosenhaus doesn't get is that his player still has two years left on his present contract. He has zero bargaining power other than to hold out his player. As for Grady, he's hurt too often and although he plays well, he doesn't play enough to warrent big money, and he too has a contract.

The thing that bothers me is that I would think that team chemistry would be important to these guys. I wold think if you're trying to win a championship playing together and working together would be the best way to go about winnig. I can't imagine where holding out for a contract has anything to do with winning. I also always believed that the way you earn a big contract is to play well and become indispencable to your coaches. I don't understand why Rosenhaus doesn't present that information to his clients because holding out isn't going to work.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

Phil, on this one I agree with you totally, absolutely, 100%. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rosenpig really wants calls, why not publish his cell phone #. I'm sure he'd get a ton of calls, most of them from Philly and Green Bay fans. Then he can do all the splainin' he wants.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
APF,

Should he use 10-10...Oh never mind!

I DO have to give the guy credit. He does know how to manipulate the suckers.. Er, the players...

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to love hearin Favre talk like that! He is makin' that agent feel a little unconforable. I bet that Walker comes in on time for the start of camp. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts