Rookies We Missed Out On

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I'm excited for our rookie class, I'm feeling there was a bit left to desired by our first two picks.

A guy I wish that we would have drafted is Hunter Henry. He looks to be every bit the franchise TE that Rodgers needs. Averaging around 18 YPC, 3 TDs, he can block, and he's getting better each week at a position that typically had a rough first year for newcomers. Looks like he could turn into a top 5 TE.

Anyone else?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't done anything spectacular yet, but I'm still salty about Myles Jack, tbh.

Reaction score
Looking back I think we did above average.
Our first 3 Defensive picks are good enough to start and it shows in our pass rush and run stop.
As much as I wanted a good OT, Spriggs is the only one I'm concerned about. That was a costly trade and I hope he turns out to be worth it.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mackensie Alexander the best corner in the draft our of clemson too me, I know TT believes in turning undrafted safties/wr/athletes into corners but I think he should draft a PURE corner.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
analysis B+
We didn't pick up any stars but we picked up a few plus guys who can hold down key positions and put our difference makers in a better position to succeed. Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez help us put teams into 3rd and long. Fackrell is just a depth guy for now but it's nice to have his speed around the edge whenever Matthews can't go, we won't have to Matthews out there on one leg this year if and when he gets dinged up. Spriggs looks like a future OT. Lowry has been a contributor but don't know what we have in him yet. Murph and Davis, not sure.

EDIT: Murph looked pretty good in the preseason and the coaches like him, perhaps he'll turn into Lang's replacement someday.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back I think we did above average.
Our first 3 Defensive picks are good enough to start and it shows in our pass rush and run stop.
As much as I wanted a good OT, Spriggs is the only one I'm concerned about. That was a costly trade and I hope he turns out to be worth it.

We'll have to see how he fills out. But he could be a rare talent at that part of the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Overall this year's draft class has performed on a pretty good level so far. I agree that I'm still disappointed about not drafting Jack late in the first round.

In addition trading up for Spriggs hasn't paid any dividends so far. The fourth rounder the Packers gave up to acquire him could have been smartly used on Rashard Robinson.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we go back a draft or so, a few here were wanting us to draft Denzel Perryman out of Miami. He looks damn good for the Chargers.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall this year's draft class has performed on a pretty good level so far. I agree that I'm still disappointed about not drafting Jack late in the first round.

In addition trading up for Spriggs hasn't paid any dividends so far. The fourth rounder the Packers gave up to acquire him could have been smartly used on Rashard Robinson.
I think Robinson's character was of concern, which would all but eliminate him from GB's board. The value would have been outstanding, though.

If Spriggs ends up being a solid right tackle, I'd be fine with that, though the circumstances suggested he would be more.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Criticism for the top 2 picks?

Clark has looked every bit the starting NT for a front 7 playing great and in a perfect world Spriggs wasn't going to play a meaningful down all year at the point we drafted him. Which apparently is a suprise now?

D

Deleted member 6794

Clark has looked every bit the starting NT for a front 7 playing great and in a perfect world Spriggs wasn't going to play a meaningful down all year at the point we drafted him. Which apparently is a suprise now?

Well, the Packers quickly decided Spriggs wasn't the team's future left tackle by extending Bakhtiari. Thompson giving up three picks made me believe the front office at least thought about the possibility of him replacing theincumbent starter in 2017.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers quickly decided Spriggs wasn't the team's future left tackle by extending Bakhtiari. Thompson giving up three picks made me believe the front office at least thought about the possibility of him replacing theincumbent starter in 2017.

I thought that was the plan also with Spriggs but lamenting that we aren't getting more production from our second round pick currently is miss guided as that was never the plan.

If they don't manage to get him in the starting lineup within the next 2 years the second guessing will be deserved just not now. Plus this thread is also partially lamenting the Clark pick. A player who has been anything but a disappointment

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that was the plan also with Spriggs but lamenting that we aren't getting more production from our second round pick currently is miss guided as that was never the plan.

If they don't manage to get him in the starting lineup within the next 2 years the second guessing will be deserved just not now. Plus this thread is also partially lamenting the Clark pick. A player who has been anything but a disappointment

Who saw David Bakhtiari improving to the extent that he has? If nothing else Spriggs is a solid backup for either Bakh or Bull, not bad value given the importance of Mr. Rodgers. Bulaga has a habit of going down injured.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Clark has performed on a decent level so far this season. I'm not lamenting about not getting any production out of Spriggs this season as it was pretty obvious he won't get significant playing time this season as long as both starting tackles stay healthy. I question the meaningfulness of trading up to draft him in the first place though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who saw David Bakhtiari improving to the extent that he has? If nothing else Spriggs is a solid backup for either Bakh or Bull, not bad value given the importance of Mr. Rodgers. Bulaga has a habit of going down injured.

It has been discussed on the forum repeatedly but it's not smart for a team heavily relying on a draft and develop philosophy to spend three picks on a backup.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been discussed on the forum repeatedly but it's not smart for a team heavily relying on a draft and develop philosophy to spend three picks on a backup.

It's also been discussed repeatedly that Thompson likes to get good players with high value no matter the position.

Can't predict future needs easily.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
... if Thompson would have selected a WR high two years ago, he would have been blasted, but it sure would have been useful now.
You mean the 2nd round pick in 2014 on Devante Adams wasn't high enough for you? There is also the 3rd round pick on Ty Montgomery last year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also been discussed repeatedly that Thompson likes to get good players with high value no matter the position.

Can't predict future needs easily. For example, if Thompson would have selected a WR high two years ago, he would have been blasted, but it sure would have been useful now.

Well he has drafted WRs high in recent years but I'll just add there's a difference between getting good value for your slot versus trading up high in the draft. The latter implies a plan for them to make an impact regardless of injuries

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the 2nd round pick in 2014 on Devante Adams wasn't high enough for you? There is also the 3rd round pick on Ty Montgomery last year.

Oops. Thanks. That's what happens when I write a post too quickly without thinking much. I should have said first round.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he has drafted WRs high in recent years but I'll just add there's a difference between getting good value for your slot versus trading up high in the draft. The latter implies a plan for them to make an impact regardless of injuries

My wide receiver example was not good. I whiffed on that one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can't predict future needs easily.

With the Packers being a Super Bowl contender every year Thompson at some point has to stop thinking about the future and make moves to improve the current team. Spending a total of five picks on two players most likely not playing any meaningful snaps isn't smart in that regard.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I'm excited for our rookie class, I'm feeling there was a bit left to desired by our first two picks.

A guy I wish that we would have drafted is Hunter Henry. He looks to be every bit the franchise TE that Rodgers needs. Averaging around 18 YPC, 3 TDs, he can block, and he's getting better each week at a position that typically had a rough first year for newcomers. Looks like he could turn into a top 5 TE.

Anyone else?

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcwest/po...-benefits-from-antonio-gates-on-and-off-field

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Packers being a Super Bowl contender every year Thompson at some point has to stop thinking about the future and make moves to improve the current team. Spending a total of five picks on two players most likely not playing any meaningful snaps isn't smart in that regard.
If Bakhtiari gets hurt, who were the Packers going to play at left tackle without Spriggs on the roster? What grade did Thompson have on the other LT's left on his board? Where was Spriggs positioned on Thompson's board? Is Spriggs also a potentially suitable replacement at LG or RG in '17? During the '16 draft, Thompson knew he had 4 o-linemen with contracts expiring. I think that these are all possibly factors in why Thompson moved up to get Spriggs.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Howard is a guy I wish we could have gotten. He's nothing spectacular, but he seems to be the kind of RB like Lacy who can wear on a defense and is a big, patient runner. He could have been Lacy's replacement, though I'm not sure if any team will price him out of our grasp, given the concern over his dedication to his conditioning.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts