1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookies at mini camps

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by 4thand26, May 29, 2006.

1. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How/why do rookies participate at mini camps without contracts? What about injury? How are they compensated for their time?

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    you dont know the answer to this? oh my...

someone educate this fool

(and me too)

3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A reason rookies do participate at minicamps without contracts is to show a good first impression on their team's coaches, GM, and team-mates. They want to get off on the right foot, and let others know they are serious about coming in and playing, regardless of whether or not they have a contract or not. In shorter terms, they want to prove there not all about the dollar.

Another reason is that they want to get reps in with the team, to learn they playbook and get a SMALL measure of NFL speed. Just to get familiar with the terms, be introduced to the teammates, make things a lot easier for the season by getting everyone familiar now as opposed to last minute type of things.

Another reason is that during the first few minicamps, a player might be doing something that the coaches don't like, so they will point it out to him and he will theoretically have a while to work at fixing the problem, and thus showing that he is coachable and willing to learn, but most of all that he can correct his mistakes.

However, agents are against having rookies go in without contracts because of the fear of getting injured. If a player gets injured, it significantly reduces their payday, and really in the end agents care about money. So agents will often times force their players to stay out, wait until a contract is done before they take the field. However there have been cases of the players not listening to that advice, going out and getting injured and having to settle for a MUCH less contract and signing bonus.

How are the players compensated? Well they are given a signing bonus, and that bonus serves as a equaling measures of sorts for their potential success they will have, and for all the effort they have put into the camps by showing up. Often times the bonus will have a clause of being trigged sometime during the first game of the season, so that when the rookie makes the roster, they get a little more money as a way of their payoff from attending minicamps and proving good enough to be on the team.

Basically the NFL is a business, and if you were to get a big time job that paid in the millions, and your employer held a few orientation meetings beforehand, but they weren't necessary, you would probably attend in order to meet some people, get an idea for your job, but above all else not to eem like a selfish person who doesn't care now that he has gotten the job.

4. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Geez, everybody knows that! :roll:

5. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

So the players that get drafted go to these mini camps with no assurance of any money? They are just trying to catch a break.

It seems that the undrafted FA's that are signed after the draft do sign contracts. So I assume that they are getting paid.

So it seems that it would be a lot better to go undrafted, choose your team and sign a contract for some money than it would be to get drafted in the last round.

6. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    actually 4th, it is better to get drafted in the seventh round than to become an undrafted FA. It all comes down to dollars and cents.

A person drafted in the seventh round, when they sign a contract, can expect a 6 figure signing bonus, around $100,000 to $200,000 range if I remember correctly.

A person who signs a deal as an undrafted FA can expect a 5 figure signing bonus, somewhere around $10,000 to $20,000, maybe even as high as $30,000.

The important thing to remember is that once a player signs their contract, they get the bonus money no matter what. So if an undrafted FA and a 7th round draft pick both get signed and then both get cut, the 7th round draft pick will have gotten a higher signning bonus, thus he gets to "go home" with a lot more money than the undrafted FA.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Many of the early drafted players WON'T practice without a contract. The "star" rookies can afford to hold out for a deal, because the team that drafted them probably won't let them get away, and will give into getting a deal done.

8. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    but don't they ppractice w/o pads so injury risk is slim...

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    tell that to kevin barry

10. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the huge money that the first rounders make MORE than I hate guys that are holding out. The first rounders get huge money for being unknown. At least if they are holding out, they probably had a decent year.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Pads don't matter if you blow out a knee, or someone lands on your leg and breaks it.

12. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    But the injury risk is still slim cheesey, friggin quarrelsome

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Even if its 1%..........i don't think a guy wants to take the chance that his one big payday in his life can be lost in a second because of a freak injury. Why take ANY chance if they don't absolutely have too?
    I'm not being quarrelsome, just trying to show that some reasoning went into my point, not just to argue.

14. thetombradyhater

Ratings:
    +0
    the reasoning to my point is w/o pads the linebackers aren't killing RB's and stuff like that, so injury chance is low

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes.....it IS low. Except for the one that ends up getting hurt! It all comes down to if the player wants to take that chance. I don't blame them if they don't want to take the chance, even if it IS small. Most players do practice, even without the contract. But it IS up to them if they want to do so, not up to me.
    Here's their choices.
    #1. Practice and take the chance that you MIGHT get hurt, and get nothing.
    #2. Wait until the team that chose you to make a deal, protecting you in the small chance that you get hurt.
    To me it would be a no brainer. Why take the chance, and end up broke AND hurt.

16. thetombradyhater

Ratings:
    +0
    so you don't piss off the coaching staff making them think your a selfish bum who is just in it for the money

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think the majority of them are in it for the money now adays. Just look how fast a guy will leave a team if offered more money. This isn't the NFL of the 1960's. There are a few loyal players, but the vast majority are "whats in it for me" guys.

Think about it........Al Harris for example........his millions were enough, until some guy got MORE then he did. Suddenly it isn't enough, and he's ticked off and complaining. The greed never seems to end.