• RB Kylin Hill

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my ongoing effort to not just talk about AR or ridicule Packer management . . .

Which 2021 draft pick will surprise the most:

Im going with: Shemar Jean-Charles

Why?

He did very well in college, but against poor competition. But it is not to say that he would have done well against better competition as well. He had the opposite situation as our other CB Stokes. Stokes played very well against the best competition (probably some of the best college WRs ever). They were both downgraded though. Stokes for technique and Shemar for average athleticism and unproven against quality players. He has great instincts, aggression, and loves the game.

Gute was excited to point out how Shemar was a favorite of the scouting staff. That means something to me. We have a good scouting staff who I trust more than the talking heads. Did they really watch his tape from hillbilly U? Or because he had no fanfare did they even know much about him? Personally, I never heard of him.

Now I expect a lot from our first 3 picks and maybe some from a few others - mostly on special teams. But I think it will surprise many when Shemar is a special teams ace and then starts seeing playing time over the course of the season. I think he gets in 25% of snaps and doesn't embarrassed himself - which is good for someone making the step from hillbilly U to the pros.

2nd choice was Christian Uphoff. I think he makes the 53 and stands out on ST.

BTW - to save arguments

Player must be a Packer rookie. Either drafted or signed as an udfa. Surprise means to exceed the general publics (not just packer fans) expectations.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For true surprise to me, I’m down to McDuffie or Shemar as well and Uphoff is my darkhorse option.

I think if McDuffie delivers on STs and sees around 25% of snaps defensively that’d be a surprise and hopefully a positive surprise and not just filling in for injuries.

If Uphoff makes the roster that’s a surprise worthy of noting already and I think he has a shot - hopefully will be a PS if he doesn’t make it tho and not nabbed elsewhere because I think he does well in preseason.

SJC is an awesome candidate because the focus is going to be so much on what King does with another chance, Stokes is gonna be scrutinized by fans due to draft spot and Sullivan needs a bounce back season to have any future. So SJC swooping in and delivering could surprise some folks but the dude is a baller and if he can do even 75% what he did in college we will love him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
want to argue with me for 6 pages
about whether we're truly "surprised" if we're predicting that we'll be surprised?

Did we just become best friends?!

I’ve got a sweet spare room for karate. You should come check it out.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Stokes will have the best performance but Hill will be the biggest surprise, especially if #12 doesn't return. If #12 returns then Amari Rodgers will likely blow all rookies out of the water.

Reaction score
Khylin Hill probably won’t see lots of playing time in 2021, but I think he’s going to surprise some folks about how good he is for our last selection.

Khylin fell hard down the boards mainly due to him being volatile on a personal level. Had he simply left politics out of the sport or not bern so abrasive, he would’ve alone been drafted a couple Rounds earlier.

Hill is a gamble mainly because he’s clashed with people at various times during his football career and he’s quit both in HS and College. In short, he’s high intensity.
My best guess is this is it for him and either someone has made him aware of that or he’s growing up on his own. He’s got 1 last opportunity to show he’s matured and that he can contain his emotions. If he does that and bridles his emotional side and can harness that passion and apply himself? He’s going to be one of the steals of this draft.

Hill is a Great effort Pass Blocker, has solid hands and is a versatile 3-down RB that fits perfectly as a trio in this Offense. Oddly, Hills biggest opponent is himself.
From a purely athletic perspective? He’s our Jamaal Williams. IMO, He’s similar in physicality and gets pumped like Jamaal, but hill has a slightly better ceiling than Williams. That’s a Tremendous compliment because Jamaal was very solid there in opening day 3 verses Hill closing day 3. Hill is also very strong putting up 22 reps and weighing right at a lean 215lbs

Last edited:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Khylin Hill probably won’t see lots of playing time in 2021, but I think he’s going to surprise some folks about how good he is for our last selection.

Khylin fell hard down the boards mainly due to him being volatile on a personal level. Had he simply left politics out of the sport or not bern so abrasive, he would’ve alone been drafted a couple Rounds earlier.

Hill is a gamble mainly because he’s clashed with people at various times during his football career and he’s quit both in HS and College. In short, he’s high intensity. My best guess is this is it for him. He’s got 1 last opportunity to show he’s matured and that he can contain his emotions. If he does that and bridles his emotional side and can harness that passion and apply himself? He’s going to be one of the steals of this draft.
From a purely athletic perspective? He’s our Jamaal Williams. Hill is a Great effort Pass Blocker, has solid hands and is a versatile 3-down RB that fits perfectly as a trio in this Offense.
oddly, His biggest opponent is himself
My thoughts exactly. If he can get playing time this year he could be lights-out, and he can be a legitimate starter for most teams year 2. He reminds me a lot of Dorsey Levens

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. If he can get playing time this year he could be lights-out, and he can be a legitimate starter for most teams year 2. He reminds me a lot of Dorsey Levens
I’m just hoping he can build the trust of his coaches and try to leave the personal stuff off the field. He’s such a tremendous kid with lots of passion. That passion is hard to find, but that same passion for causes he supports can be used to propel his football career instead.
When you get down to it he’s exciting to watch. I wish him well.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Slaton will have more than his fair share of outstanding moments throughout TC and have people wondering how he dropped out of day 2. He'll also have some moments of getting blown out of a play so he'll need to work on consistency and "pad level" (a bit of McCarthyism) ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm going with Slaton as well mostly based on opportunity. With Clark being the only player excelling on the defensive line there should be ample playing time available at the position.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I went with Slayton too...I liked him early in the process. He's just so smooth for a 330 pound man. The Packers may finally have found the new school Johnny Jolly. I think he surprises people by becoming an important part of the dline rotation with Clark, Keke, and Lowry

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Player must be a Packer rookie. Either drafted or signed as an udfa. Surprise means to exceed the general publics (not just packer fans) expectations.

When you say "general public", do you mean general sports watching public, US general public, or are you going for a global market? ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, for everyone believing in Slaton, your are obviously not Gators fans. Been waiting on that guy to surprise me for 4 years...

I'll go with Stokes simply because the only way the defense improves markedly is if Stokes can earn a starting job.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm going with Slaton as well mostly based on opportunity. With Clark being the only player excelling on the defensive line there should be ample playing time available at the position.

I voted Slaton as well. I would like to add a surprise make to roster and admittedly a total flyer. That is WR Bailey Gaither out of San Jose St. This too is because of depth at that position. Davante Adams, MVS, Amari Rodgers and Allen Lazard are all locks. That is where it gets interesting though. EQ has really not shown anything and is injury prone. Devin Funchess has been out of foot ball for two years. Malik Taylor did make the roster, but didn't show a lot. Reggie Begelton, while a nice story, is merely a practice squad player. A rookie surprise is Gaither making the 53. :tup:

Reaction score
The thread title could be taken two ways.
1. Who’s the Surprise in their 2021 Rookie season?
2. Who’s going to become the ultimate Surprise from the 2021 Rookie class.

1. Slayton is my more immediate hope to surprise. I’ve always thought 2iDLthat are Probowl worthy are a key to success. Right now at best he’s really a 2 down DT that might get limited snaps with his conditioning being an ongoing concern, so I see him playing more a speciality role in season 1. I like Hill and normally a RB goes out with a nagging injury etc.. and RB #3 gets promoted quickly. He initially had a few late day 2 grades but dropped on character concerns. He’s a day 3 boom or bust if there is such a thing.

2. I like Meyers because I think he’s got big shoes to fill from Linsley and most of us knew we’d take a step back without Linsley.
I like how the Center position translates a little quicker as a whole and I think Meyers will give us a year 1 plug with little dropoff + a solid, reliable long term answer at the position. Tretter Turbo

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to keep going for Rodgers. I hope my feeling is right and he is special. Just really liked the little film I saw on him. I see him as a deep threat. Maybe more than MVS because I think it will be Amari's moves and quickness that gets him open. And his zero to top speed looks really good. LaFleur has to call those plays at the right times.

Reaction score
Yes. He fits perfectly into our system. I read somewhere that he is our Deebo Samuel. They are very similar player roles.
He was one of Trevor Lawrence’s top targets. The more I study him, the better I like his draft position from a value standpoint.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm going to keep going for Rodgers. I hope my feeling is right and he is special. Just really liked the little film I saw on him. I see him as a deep threat. Maybe more than MVS because I think it will be Amari's moves and quickness that gets him open. And his zero to top speed looks really good. LaFleur has to call those plays at the right times.

Rodgers is mainly a slot receiver who doesn't have the skill set to be a deep threat at the NFL level. He might excel getting yards after the catch though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is mainly a slot receiver who doesn't have the skill set to be a deep threat at the NFL level. He might excel getting yards after the catch though.
what I saw him do on tape was get to the safety, make a real slight/quick move to the inside, and then explode straight up the field. And be wide open. I am thinking with that quickness and explosive first step; he will be able to get deep. Or the safety will have to play him deep and then he will be open underneath. jmo

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what I saw him do on tape was get to the safety, make a real slight/quick move to the inside, and then explode straight up the field. And be wide open. I am thinking with that quickness and explosive first step; he will be able to get deep. Or the safety will have to play him deep and then he will be open underneath. jmo

Rodgers use in some of his "highlight plays" doesn't illustrate the vast majority of how his skillset was used at Clemson and especially not what he will be used for in GB. No one on our roster is going to be used as the "Deep Threat" to push those safeties deep not named MVS. Now sure there will be plays you're going to see any number of our other WRs with a route designed to cause opposing defense to honor that portion of the field - but trust me Rodgers is our slot YAC weapon we've not had in years. He has the short range burst and route abilities to for sure make a DB regret biting and beat them deep...but that isn't where his strengths lie or the role he will play in the MLF system. I won't state that as a definitive statement, but I do strongly feel that is more fact than opinion given our system and what Rodgers is and was at Clemson.

Members online

Latest posts