Rookie Training Camp Love

out of these players, who are you most excited to see in the preseason?

• Anderson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spriggs

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Kuder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Davis

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

packersfan152

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been watching updates from the practices and there are some players that really excited me.

Dimitri Anderson, DT out of UCF seems to be having a really strong training camp so far, he could add some quality depth in the front 7.

Spriggs looks like he is doing a very good job playing LT in pads. Has the ability to bend and get his feet underneath him after a kick back step.

Tyler Kuder, another big bodied DT/DE that would add some quality depth to our front 7.

And of course--
Trevor Davis. This dude can FLY. he has some great top end speed and might be able to contribute on ST at first with a quality sub late in the game when the defense is gassed and he is fresh.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm looking forward to seeing Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez as those two guys will most likely end up with the most amount of playing time in the regular season.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually more interested in last year's rookie crop - I want to see who makes that second year leap, and who has the dreaded sophomore slump. Important year for the R's - Randall, Rollins, Ryan & Ripkowski.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins seems to have taken the leap, Randall has been up and down. Apparently Ryan has looked solid. Ripkowski, no idea.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez as those two guys will most likely end up with the most amount of playing time in the regular season.

I watched a little of the Family Night practice. I had trouble finding Clark when he practiced but thought that Martinez played hard and played well. Saw him in the back field at least once.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- I expect Clark to be a contributor immediately, even if only 10-15 snaps/game to rest others.
- I'm looking forward to Martinez & Mortell having good camps and shoring-up weak spots THIS year.
- I'm excited about Spriggs, Fackrell, P. Lucas or Rotheram & Crockett (2nd yr. guys) showing enough promise to fill holes from departed FA's in '17.

2nd & 3rd preseason games should show which guys are players and who's just filling an August roster spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm looking forward to Martinez & Mortell having good camps and shoring-up weak spots THIS year.

Mortell has already shanked way too many punts during the first week of camp to have a realistic chance to beat out Masthay to make the roster.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortell has already shanked way too many punts during the first week of camp to have a realistic chance to beat out Masthay to make the roster.
I'm hoping that game film makes this more of a competition. Masthay looks fantastic in practices but has his struggles when it counts. Maybe just having competition will turn-around Masthay?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hoping that game film makes this more of a competition. Masthay looks fantastic in practices but has his struggles when it counts. Maybe just having competition will turn-around Masthay?

I for sure don't want the Packers to replace Masthay with another punter who has a tendency to shank kicks.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This makes me smile. I can't help but grin when I read anything about this secondary, I need to temper expectations because they can't possibly live up to how I'm envisioning them this season. I think no matter what; they're going to have a strong group out there in most situations. Sam/Rollins outside and Randall in the slot, I mean it's just rolls off the tongue.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a little of the Family Night practice. I had trouble finding Clark when he practiced but thought that Martinez played hard and played well. Saw him in the back field at least once.

Clark looks good in one on one drills but he seems to struggle against double teams. Then again having Sitton and Linsley on you is a tough tough assignment.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark looks good in one on one drills but he seems to struggle against double teams. Then again having Sitton and Linsley on you is a tough tough assignment.
As this was a practice in front of 66K+ fans I'm pretty sure the linemen were told to "go 67% and make it look good, but NO INJURIES". Clark will have plenty of snaps to beat-up opposing OL's over the next 5 weeks.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez looked to be making good reads on Family Night, drops back in coverage well and can sniff out the run pretty well. Didn't get to see much of Clark. Fackrell was said to have a good amount of work to do. Davis had a good night, I see him working hard and making a case for his spot. Sitton seemed to fit well on OL.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez is the guy I want to see do well. Hes the one guy we need to see do well due to the position he plays. I'm hoping he has a Chris Borland type of impact.

D

Deleted member 6794

Linsley is still on the PUP list though and hasn't practiced in camp so far. I guess you meant to talk about Tretter.

Reaction score
Although it's maybe not as exciting to monitor in the short term as a guy like Davis... We traded 2 draft picks in order to move up just 10 spots and snatch Jason Spriggs at beginning of the 2nd day of draft. That speaks loudly as to his potential because its very rare for ol' Ted to gamble like that. I believe we had our eye on Spriggs before Raji bowed out and would've picked him bottom of the 1st day but our hand was forced to go DT.
This guy will be intriguing to watch both in pass protection and setting up run blocks early in his career..

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez is the guy I want to see do well. Hes the one guy we need to see do well due to the position he plays. I'm hoping he has a Chris Borland type of impact.

Hopefully, for more than one year. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
After hearing his interview I'm very hopeful for this guy..

He wants to do well and is studying his *** off

D

Deleted member 6794

We traded 2 draft picks in order to move up just 10 spots and snatch Jason Spriggs at beginning of the 2nd day of draft. That speaks loudly as to his potential because its very rare for ol' Ted to gamble like that.

While that is true for the early part of Thompson's tenure with the Packers, beginning with the 2009 draft he has traded up seven times while down only on six occasions.

Members online

Latest posts