Ron Wolf seem to be a bad teacher

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or TT is a bad student.

Just a reminder..

Ron Wolf took a depleted team and turned into Super Bowl team, to do so he begin by:

Signing the hottest HC available: Mike Holmgreen.

Taking a high risk in Free Agency and signing:

Brett Favre.

Reggie White.

Yes he TOOK THE RISK of overpaying, of being the clown of the NFL, etc..

But he build a team that lasted for more than 10 years, by the way the team became a winner immediatelly, maybe not a SB contender but a winning team right away.

TT did the following:

Signed the cheapest HC available.

Begin to BUILT A NEW TEAM VIA DRAFT.

Didn´t sign any big Free Agent, he settled for a good one Picket, and decided to overpay, according to most of the media (yes the media $ucks I know), for a journeyman Safety in Manuel, and signed a bunch of bench warmers, signed some guys coming from big injuries.

And by doing so pushed Brett towards retirement.

Yes he did the right think by sticking to his gun in the Javon Walker issue..

Other than that just think it over and get your own mind about this.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took several years for Wolf to build that team........TT has only been in place ONE year so far. Lets see 4 seasons down the road where he is before we decide. At least thats what i will do. I bet lots of people thought Wolf was NUTS and called for his head when he went after Favre, for what SEEMED at the time a rediculous amount. Hind sight is always 20-20.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
It took several years for Wolf to build that team........TT has only been in place ONE year so far. Lets see 4 seasons down the road where he is before we decide. At least thats what i will do. I bet lots of people thought Wolf was NUTS and called for his head when he went after Favre, for what SEEMED at the time a rediculous amount. Hind sight is always 20-20.

AGREED - the guy's barely warmed the seat of the GM Chair and some guys are already calling for his head, as if THEY'RE THE EXPERTS AT THIS....

As much as all of us fantasize about being the GM of any NFL Team - I don't think any of us would like to follow up behind a Coach who had THAT team on the track to disaster, going down the hill, as it were, going over 60 mph already, when you're told to take over..... that is, in fact, what has happened in the last 18 months.

Like it or not - TT is not taking over for an already winning team.
In fact, no GM change would ever have that as part of the scenario unless the Lord upstairs has taken away the current Administration.

The Packers still had some downhill issues to have process themselves out before the climb back uphill could even be initiated. We're starting to walk back uphill now.

IMHO - with regards to MM - I see the Packers bringing him in, in pretty much the same way the Packers brought in Vince Lombardi.

VL was an Assistant, not really doing much over with the NY Giants - "everybody" was loathe to give this guy any real and deserved consideration.. none. They all had bad critiques rating him as a nobody - it took that first whole season before everyone started smellin' Championship.

It's pretty much the same thing here, with Mike McCarthy.

I say - give this guy, and the new Administration, a well deserved chance!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh.....do i agree Prez! If 4 years down the line it's proven the guy stinks, THEN call for his head. He has NOT had a real chance yet.
People tend to forget that Lombardi was NOT a head coach before he came here. I bet there were people wondering back then ......."What are they thinking!?!? He's unproven!" Well.......we KNOW the REST of the story..........again, HINDSIGHT!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko......check the timelines of the Ron Wolf era. He traded for a guy that would **** off half this board in Brett Favre. Then he added ONE high profile FA in Reggie White. Once these pieces were in place, he brought in the additional FAs to put the team over the top.

See, the contracts must be staggered, and not run concurrently, or upon their demise it would simply cost too much to keep the players you need to win it all....and would also hinder the cyclic development of future starters.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, you can call for TT's head because has has had no chance. There are no BIG NAME free-agents like Reggie White out there. Did you want him to MAKE ONE FROM CLAY?

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with cheesy and Prez. Lets see how this team or individual player,GM or Coach does after a full season or if constant improving, 2-4 years, before we praise them or tear them down.

Go Pack GO! I'm looking forward to this season as I have every season since being a FAN of the TEAM!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not calling for his head but he won't get 4 years to improve this team. Mr. Harlan retires soon and Mr. Jones becomes the new Pres. He has every right "to bring in his own man", similar to what TT did with Sherman. I think you will see the same result IF the Packers don't show that they are improving this season. I'm not saying win the Super Bowl or even the playoffs. They just need to show signs of improvement. Let's face it. Like the job he has done or not, TT isn't going to keep his job on his personality!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this season has already been an improvement to last season... what if we lost kampy, or any other FA's, like we did Wahle & Rivera? you have to give TT a pat on the back for that. plus, he's a hell of a nice guy!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Reggie White came to Green Bay for less money than he got elsewhere so it's not like Ron Wolf threw the most money at him. It is a bit harsh to call Manuel a journeyman player when he was on two teams before he came here and is only 26. As for Pickett, everything I read had him being better than Sam Adams and I guarantee Sam Adams got a much bigger contract and is 32. Pickett has much more of an upside and has proven himself worthy.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is too early to call and Ron Wolfe was in a different era where the salaries weren't as crazy and had less affect on the cap. Wolfe was overrated, yes he got Favre by trade and White by free agency but look at the first round draft picks under him, even the first day picks and they were nothing to brag about. Here are some other names from Wolfe - Jamal Reynolds instead of Steve Hutchison, Joe Johnson, Cletius Hunt, John Michaels, Ferguson instead of Chris Chambers, the year we drafted DB in first three rounds and they are all gone now although MM is in NO.
His record is not that great.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
It took several years for Wolf to build that team........TT has only been in place ONE year so far.

yeah, hes only allowed 1 1\2 years though. At least with some folks...

it took ron several years!

HELL

it took lombardi 3 years as a coach!

but in this "right now, right now, right now" mindset in america...if you don't produce right away, you're useless. People easilly forget our past, which wasnt full of "quick fixes"

he should get 3 years to prove his job. And its not as if its 3 jobs of easyness. NO. his first year was mostly fixing a lot of mistakes from the previous regime. Now he is doing his thing. He is bringing in some players(Pickett,Manuel,Taylor,Gardner,Boreigter) and re-signing our studs(Kampman,Ahman)

And if the 2007 Packers dont make a serious run, then get rid of him.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet if TT traded our 1st round draft pick for some young QB coming off his rookie year and having throwed only 4 times whereas two of his passes ended up as interceptions and also being disliked by everyone at his former club, everyone here would be pissed off bigtime.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

It would "suck" if TT picked a future "Hall of Famer.."

(not likely to happen though..so don't worry..!)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I bet if TT traded our 1st round draft pick for some young QB coming off his rookie year and having throwed only 4 times whereas two of his passes ended up as interceptions and also being disliked by everyone at his former club, everyone here would be pissed off bigtime.

exactly, lets see how the decisions pan out. everything looks different on paper than how it works out in real life.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the New England Patriots, yes THOSE New England Patriots...also build through the draft...

something to think about as well.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that sherman was the guy with all the bad busts. All as the common post, give him a chance. Who built a team that went to the superbowl, thatd be Teddy.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Im pretty sure that sherman was the guy with all the bad busts. All as the common post, give him a chance. Who built a team that went to the superbowl, thatd be Teddy.

it took time for thompson to take that team there.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I think some people just get upset with TT because he's not flashy. It makes our off season boring, so we eventually turn to calling each other names and getting our forum locked up.

Some people just want the big name free agents that they've heard of for the past 8-10 years. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, it is atleast exciting.

Me? I like TT and his plan. It may not be fun to follow, but I think it has a better chance of succeeding than the "Daniel Snyder way."

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I think some people just get upset with TT because he's not flashy. It makes our off season boring, so we eventually turn to calling each other names and getting our forum locked up.

Some people just want the big name free agents that they've heard of for the past 8-10 years. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, it is atleast exciting.

Me? I like TT and his plan. It may not be fun to follow, but I think it has a better chance of succeeding than the "Daniel Snyder way."

Wow - Amazing a real cohesive post - full of intelligent viewpoints.

Imagine that - he didn't have to slam or slander or degrade anyone - no one in the entire membership... just to get his point across.

Nicely done!

Others appear to be handicapped in this ability!
Maybe they should apply for government assistance and live off their neighbor's hard earned paychecks.... no names, you know who you are.

True commen t about Snyder, as well - you notice the Committee to find a replacement for Tagliabue doesn't have Snyder on it..... for a reason.!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whatever you say. all those other reports dont mean anything, right?

sigh...ohh, lethal weapon 2 is on, be back later.

it's hell being mel.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Holmgren built the Seahawks!

Mike Holmgren has said that Ted Thompson had more to do with the draft decisions that Seattle made than he did. I guess Mike is so humble he doesn't want to take the credit. :wink:

Members online

Latest posts