Ron wolf says money brought Reggie White to Green Bay

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"And so at a time when many scoff at the potential connection between big spending and big winning, the first big-money free agent in the salary-cap era made a major impact in Green Bay, culminating in a Super Bowl win. Teams should keep that in mind when drawing up their budgets for the coming spending spree — especially with a talent like Ndamukong Suh destined to hit the market."--- from the linked article

This is kind of dangerous I think. Its's not as if Reggie won it on his own, Ron Wolf played a lot of other cards to build a super bowl team besides showing Reggie the most money. In addition, that was then, this is now. His number one reason for retiring when he did was the new salary cap rules and this guy thinks big spending equals big winning? I guess he just wants to see fans get all excited for being the FA winners in the offseason and get them to ready more of his articles?

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White remains, after all this time, the consensus greatest free agent signing of all time. Yes, his deal was breathtaking at the time he signed it, but what he delivered in terms of value for play was every bit as special. He remained the dominant force at his position throughout his tenure in GB.

So many people snidely remarked that Reggie's faith took a back seat to the huge money he took to come to Green Bay, but they overlook that he took millions from that contract and bankrolled two different community banks/charities in Tennessee and Green Bay that taught thousands of people caught in generational welfare how to vision and start their own small businesses and become owners/entrepreneurs and leave poverty behind and become leaders in their communities. Urban Hope continues to operate in both Chattanooga and Green Bay these many years after Reggie's death, and his singular work and vision for what his money could accomplish to better the lives of so many who loved to see him play and many who didn't even know who he was remain the bar for the charity work of pro athletes today.

It could be argued that Reggie White's charity work is a touchstone for the micro-credit approach to foreign aid adopted by many NGO's that is transforming the lives of women and rural agricultural based communities in African and South East Asia. Many had a lot to say about his religious views, but those same religious beliefs are what motivated him to find groundbreaking ways to make a difference through charity work because of the groundbreaking contract he signed. Agree with what he believed or not, Reggie more than put his money where his mouth was.

Oddly enough, Charles Woodson is similar to Reggie White in the value he provided given what was an enormous contract signed, and in that he has been a consistent supporter of charitable work that will have legacy effects for generations (didn't he make a several million dollar donation to a hospital at the University of Michigan?).

H

HardRightEdge

There is no inconsistency in the two stories. God said, "Reggie, take the d*mn money!"

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a shocker....pffff!!!! I thought he came to Green Bay because the Blues Brothers told him to. LOL

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the highest offer, no matter what you plan to do with the money.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't think Reggie was referring to Favre when he talked about God.

No---you misunderstand

Some have said Reggie came here to play with Brett was the main reason

Or maybe you were trying to be funny with the Brett statement

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure playing with Brett played a part in his decision. Did the money have to be right? Of course it did, Green Bay is hardly a garden spot in most people's minds. Anyone who thinks it was ALL about the money or ALL about Brett.... IMO there is very little that is ALL about anything.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, fire is hot and 1+1=2!

I am confused as to why this is thread, was there a large portion of the fan base that thought it was for any reason other than money?

H

HardRightEdge

I am confused as to why this is thread, was there a large portion of the fan base that thought it was for any reason other than money?
Well, Reggie said God told him to come to Green Bay even if it was Holmgren standing in for the big man.

As for why now, ivo610 likes keep us in touch with our history. Keeping interest up and the traffic moving might have something to do with it as well. ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Not in new math:
Let a = 1 and b = 1. Therefore a = b, by substitution.
If two numbers are equal, then their squares are equal, too: a^2 = b^2.
Now subtract b^2 from both sides (if an equation is true, then if
you subtract the same thing from both sides, the result is also
a true equation) so: a^2 - b^2 = 0.
Now the lefthand side of the equation can be factored into (a-b)*(a+b).
If you don't believe me, then try multiplying it out carefully,
and you will see that it's correct. So: (a-b)*(a+b) = 0.
Now if you have an equation, you can divide both sides by the same
thing, right? Let's divide by (a-b), so we get: (a-b)*(a+b) / (a-b) = 0/(a-b).
On the lefthand side, the (a-b)/(a-b) simplifies to 1, right?
and the righthand side simplifies to 0, right? So we get: 1*(a+b) = 0,
and since 1* anything = that same anything, then we have: (a+b) = 0.
But a = 1 and b = 1, so: 1 + 1 = 0, or 2 = 0.
Now let's divide both sides by 2, and we get: 1 = 0.
Then we add 1 to both sides, and we get:
1 + 1 = 1.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Joke up here in the valley at the time was that God and Sara sounded a lot alike.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No---you misunderstand

Some have said Reggie came here to play with Brett was the main reason

Or maybe you were trying to be funny with the Brett statement
I have read enough quotes from Reggie, Holmgren, and Wolf to understand the whole picture. Reggie did give props to Brett being a special player and a part of his decision. He felt it was in his best interest to go to San Francisco. When San Francisco came with a small offer he was very disappointed. When the Packers offered much more, he wasn't that interested at first. He prayed then felt like all along, God was leading him to Green Bay. Most of that is in his book, and is to the best of my memory.

So I don't think this is any revelation. Reggie said all along, money was a big factor in his decision.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter king mentioned Reggie said gb was the only place he wouldn't go. I don't recall that happening, does anyone else remember it?

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in new math:
Let a = 1 and b = 1. Therefore a = b, by substitution.
If two numbers are equal, then their squares are equal, too: a^2 = b^2.
Now subtract b^2 from both sides (if an equation is true, then if
you subtract the same thing from both sides, the result is also
a true equation) so: a^2 - b^2 = 0.
Now the lefthand side of the equation can be factored into (a-b)*(a+b).
If you don't believe me, then try multiplying it out carefully,
and you will see that it's correct. So: (a-b)*(a+b) = 0.
Now if you have an equation, you can divide both sides by the same
thing, right? Let's divide by (a-b), so we get: (a-b)*(a+b) / (a-b) = 0/(a-b).
On the lefthand side, the (a-b)/(a-b) simplifies to 1, right?
and the righthand side simplifies to 0, right? So we get: 1*(a+b) = 0,
and since 1* anything = that same anything, then we have: (a+b) = 0.
But a = 1 and b = 1, so: 1 + 1 = 0, or 2 = 0.
Now let's divide both sides by 2, and we get: 1 = 0.
Then we add 1 to both sides, and we get:
1 + 1 = 1.
there should be a confused rating for this post, my heads spinning now

Members online

Latest posts