Roman on Trading Block or to be Cut?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
roman may have been a whiner this offseason, but...

People take depth for granted...you trade Roman, and you're one injury away from Marviel Underwood, who didn't show us much last year.

Having the big names is great, but what really matters is how good your #3 of 4 on the depth charts are because those are the guys who could very likely be starting for you by November (e.g. wrs last year)

As has been said, Roman is adequate...but that's a good thing...keep him!

good stuff... with last years injuries all around depth is more important than ever.... we should keep him and we will.... unless a huge trade comes up... but thats not likely

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
porky88 said:
Manuel was signed to help out the run. Our run defense was awful last year and part of what makes Manuel the player he is, is his ability to come up and make a tackle. That's why we signed him. We also have no room on secondary for Roman unless we cut one of our younger players. At best Roman will be our dime back but with a team that has Barnett and Hawk, we're not expected to run much dime. More nickel. So if we can trade Roman for a healthy RB or even better offensive line help, it'd be a smart move in my opinion.

Why do you think that he has to start in order for there to be room for him. He's a perfect fit for backup safety -- starting experience, knows the offense well, can fill in at CB or safety, will push Manuel for the starting role.

It's hillarious that people ask me what I have against Manuel when I haven't yet even bad-mouthed the guy. What do you have against Roman? We're talking about our backup safety here, who we shouldn't expect to be a pro-bowl caliber player.

One thing that is lacking on this roster is experienced depth. Roman is one player who provides just that at a critical position.

If you can trade your backup safety who is unhappy for a key role player that will contribute. You do it.

HE isn't going to get much PT unless he beats out Manuel which is very unlikely considering TT signed Manuel to be the starter and the coaching staff is very high on him as the SS. Roman would be at best the dime back on this team unless he can beat out Ahmad Carroll for the nickel back.

Green Bay probably won't use much dime. We'll use nickel with Hawk and Barnett. When you have LB's with the athletic ability they have and the ability to hang with TE's and WR's in coverage you usually go with the nickel.

Manuel also plays SS. SS usually help out in the run and that's exactly what Manuel does. He was signed to come up and make a tackle up front. He wasn't signed to pickoff 4 balls a year. We signed Woodson for that. If Manuel can help the running game he'll prove to be a good signing. Roman improved last year but still wasn't the greatest in coverage. He's good depth but like stated, if you can trade Roman and add a key role player then you do it. I don't like the idea of cutting him though.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
If you can trade your backup safety who is unhappy for a key role player that will contribute. You do it.

HE isn't going to get much PT unless he beats out Manuel which is very unlikely considering TT signed Manuel to be the starter and the coaching staff is very high on him as the SS. Roman would be at best the dime back on this team unless he can beat out Ahmad Carroll for the nickel back.

So if he can't crack the starting line-up then he has no value and can't contribute??

If either Collins or Manuel get injured, then Roman would get a lot of playing time. Last I checked Manuel hasn't even participated during minicamp due to injury. Sure he's coming along fine and should be ready for TC, but it just points out that injuries are likely so you better be ready for them.

Of course it goes without saying that if you have a trade opportunity to get a starter for a backup, then you jump on it. But I find it very unlikely that we'd get much value in trading Roman, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

We have a good situation with 3 starting caliber safeties right now. Whether or not you like it, Roman will push Manuel for the starting job -- but that's a good thing because it should make Manuel better. There's no reason to dump quality depth.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
porky88 said:

So if he can't crack the starting line-up then he has no value and can't contribute??

If either Collins or Manuel get injured, then Roman would get a lot of playing time. Last I checked Manuel hasn't even participated during minicamp due to injury. Sure he's coming along fine and should be ready for TC, but it just points out that injuries are likely so you better be ready for them.

Of course it goes without saying that if you have a trade opportunity to get a starter for a backup, then you jump on it. But I find it very unlikely that we'd get much value in trading Roman, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

We have a good situation with 3 starting caliber safeties right now. Whether or not you like it, Roman will push Manuel for the starting job -- but that's a good thing because it should make Manuel better. There's no reason to dump quality depth.

I agree.. That's why I said if you can trade him for a player that can contribute then you do it. IF not then you keep him. I don't like the idea of cutting him and getting nothing.

Members online

Latest posts