Roman and Ferguson on the 'Bubble' ? Could be cut!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline:

Here's a list of veterans who must produce this summer, or they could be gone before the 2006 season begins.

1. Robert Ferguson, WR: Ferguson had the chance of his life last season and proceeded to drop the ball. After Javon Walker went down in the season-opener, Ferguson had every opportunity to prove he was the No. 1 wide receiver he'd claimed to be for years.

But Ferguson was arguably the Packers' most disappointing player and might be out of chances in Green Bay.

Ferguson missed five games, pushing his total to nine in three seasons. And even when Ferguson was healthy, he was either agitating quarterback Brett Favre because of his inconsistency, or he was vanishing at key moments.

Ferguson ranked just sixth on the Packers with 27 receptions and offered zero support for Donald Driver. Ferguson, a second-round draft choice in 2001, now has just 111 receptions in five years - an average of just 22.2 per year.

Ferguson's never been fast enough to win vertically. And he's not big enough to go up and get balls in a crowd.

Ferguson was a favorite of former coach Mike Sherman, largely for his work on special teams and his willingness to fight through injuries. But with Sherman out of the mix, Ferguson's days might be numbered as well.

2. Adrian Klemm, OT: General manager Ted Thompson gave Klemm an $800,000 signing bonus and made him his biggest free agent signing in 2005. Klemm was handed the left-guard job, but by week nine, he was glued to the bench.

Klemm was soft and completely ineffective on the move. And he lacked the necessary toughness to play the position.

Klemm did show some ability as a left tackle and could factor in as Chad Clifton's backup. But he hasn't been healthy enough to practice this spring and show the new coaching staff anything. If enough of Green Bay's young linemen show progress, there will be no reason to keep the 29-year old Klemm.

3. Mark Roman, S: Sherman signed Roman in 2004 to be his starting strong safety. Over the last two seasons, though, Roman has been an inconsistent tackler and has been involved in just four turnover plays.

Thompson signed Seattle's Marquand Manuel this off-season to replace Roman. And Roman hasn't taken it well, voicing his displeasure both publicly and privately.

Roman could be an ideal third safety on a Green Bay team that lacks depth at the position. But if the Packers fear Roman's attitude will be an issue, they'll likely release him and go with youth or another veteran released later this summer.

4. Najeh Davenport, RB: It was a minor surprise this winter when Green Bay re-signed Davenport, who's coming off ankle surgery and has never stayed healthy. And Davenport will have his work cut out for him to stick around for a fifth season.

Davenport has flashed brilliance at times, with a career-average of 5.0 yards per carry. He's extremely powerful, but runs too high and takes a beating. In fact, in four seasons, Davenport has played in just 39 games.

Samkon Gado is a virtual lock to stick around, and Green Bay is likely to keep a young back such as Noah Herron. If that's the case, Davenport and veteran Ahman Green could be in a battle for the final roster spot.

5. Ahman Green, RB: Green turned 29 in February. And he was already slowing down before his quadriceps burst in Minnesota last season.

It remains to be seen when Green will return during training camp. And it's a greater mystery if he can fully recover from such a brutal injury.

Green has taken a beating through the years, with 1,972 regular season touches during his eight-year NFL career. He was also the featured back for three seasons at Nebraska.

If years of wear-and-tear and his injured quad render Green a shell of his former self, his brilliant Packer days might be over.

6. Kenny Peterson, DT/DE: A third-round draft choice by Sherman in 2003, Peterson has never played to his draft standing. And he might be out of time.

Peterson played inside on passing downs last seasons and notched the first three sacks of his career. But he's probably too light to hold up there consistently, and he doesn't have the necessary speed to play off the edge.

Peterson might survive because Green Bay's cast of defensive linemen is a less-than-stellar group. But if an interesting veteran or two wind up on the street late in camp, Peterson could certainly be expendable.

7. B.J. Sander, P: Packers fans might not have Sander to kick around much longer. That's because Sander might soon get the boot.

Sander, an extremely controversial third-round draft choice of Sherman's in 2004, has had two extremely disappointing seasons.

Sander was a training-camp flop as a rookie, but was kept on the 53-man roster because Sherman didn't want to face the embarrassment of cutting him.

Last season, Sander had a decent first half, but bombed down the stretch. Sander finished the season ranked 30th in the NFL in gross average (39.2) and 31st in net average (33.9). Sander also struggled in his duties as a holder, drawing the ire of former kicker Ryan Longwell.

Sander's first job this summer will be to hold off unproven Jon Ryan, the only other punter currently in camp. But if neither impress, Green Bay might add a veteran, ala Bryan Barker in 2004.

8. Rod Gardner, WR: A washout in both Washington and Carolina, Gardner looked like a former first-round draft choice during his brief stay in Green Bay last winter. Gardner, picked up on waivers with two weeks left in the regular season, caught four balls for a 16.8-yard average and earned himself another shot in Green Bay.

But Gardner irritated the coaching staff when he missed a large portion of the current organized team activities. And while he has the ideal size for Mike McCarthy's offense, Gardner doesn't run particularly well.

Green Bay spent two draft picks on receivers and has some intriguing young prospects on the roster. If Gardner fails to impress in training camp, there's no guarantee he'll be around.

9. Will Whitticker, OT/OG: Whitticker was thrust into the starting lineup at right guard last season when Thompson failed to adequately address the position. Whitticker, a rookie seventh-round draft pick, then failed miserably, allowing more pressures (30½) and bad runs (12½) than any lineman on the roster.

Whitticker might have been in trouble even if Sherman were still around. With McCarthy now in charge, things look bleaker.

McCarthy and new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski want sleek, athletic linemen to fit their zone-blocking scheme. At roughly 340 pounds, Whitticker doesn't fit the bill.

The coaching staff has already moved Whitticker from right guard to backup left tackle. And it might not be much longer before he's moved out of town.
--------------------------------------------
C'mon TRAINING CAMP!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't see Whitticker or fergie getting cut due to lack of depth at their positions. Having Green and Davenport out on injury may be a blessing in disguise for their tenure...no one knows for sure what type of speed and agility their injuries have left them. I do see BJ hitting the road with Ryan taking over.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Unfortunately I don't see Whitticker or fergie getting cut due to lack of depth at their positions. Having Green and Davenport out on injury may be a blessing in disguise for their tenure...no one knows for sure what type of speed and agility their injuries have left them. I do see BJ hitting the road with Ryan taking over.

Agree on all points. Whittaker, maybe. Fergie - no way, unless Gardner, Boe and Jennings are all a helluva lot better than advertised. An ideal situation for Davenport is if we are able to trade him to that desparate team who will almost certainly lose a starting RB during the next couple of months.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know about their injuries being 'blessings in disguise'. i agree that Ted won't want to cut them without seeing what they're capable of, but i think if it were not for their injuries last season, neither would be on this list. i don't see ferguson going, although i have pulled out more of my own hair over his ****ups than i have over ahmad carrol (and that's alot!). Rod Gardner, i don't know. i really don't know anything about him. i just hope against hope that our WR's aren't the dagger in the heart of GB's playoff aspirations this year... i would much rather it be the O line. kidding.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting article. Thanks for sending it. I agree with everything in it with the exception of what they wrote about Ferguson. I think he is unlikely to get cut.

Members online

Latest posts