Rollins Neck , FA CBs and big DBs merged

H

HardRightEdge

Wish I knew why our guys don't jam at los more.

They have to be told not to, but why?
Start with zone coverage which the Packers use with some frequency, especially in dime. If a perimeter corner is responsible for the short zone. If he jams he's out of position to defend the flat or crossing route. By engaging the receiver at the line he does not have proper depth to the defend the zone while placing himself in position to be blocked.

In man coverage, we see Gunter play a fair amount of press coverage. He happens to have good press technique. He doesn't jam so much as ride the receiver off the line keeping him from getting to full stride. He also gets topside help against the better opponents because he does not have the recovery speed needed to be consistently reliable pressing solo.

It's highly risky to ask a perimeter corner to press if he does not have good technique and excellent recovery speed. If you don't get a solid chuck on a guy who's going vertical, you don't have the recovery speed and there's no top side help, then...boom!

Neither Rollins nor Randall have good press technique nor outstanding flip and run quickness nor ball recognition skills with their backs to the play. You've been seeing a free safety (Randall) and slot CB (Rollins) playing perimeter corner.

Not having Shields, a guy who can press and recover if need be, puts you into a different defense. They'd often just let Shields play man on his side and mix and match zone or man in the rest of the D. Not having that guy is kinda like playing with 10 1/2 in the comparison where adjustments and cover ups have to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running game isn't anything to be truly concerned about.. Our running game is better than theirs
Running game in my eyes is a big deal and i will focus run game and zone blitzing keeping eli of his mark. Honestly I want eli to throw the ball,packers have a better chance of getting picks then making the rb fumble, it seems that the packers know they are going to get yards throwing but if they can run also its all bad.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running game isn't anything to be truly concerned about.. Our running game is better than theirs

Only if McCarthy decides the stars have aligned and he's allowed to use Ty. It really is amazing how reluctant McCarthy is to use Ty as the primary RB.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get why they wouldn't. No one with any football sense would tell a corner to play man to man.. but allow your wr a free release. You play man to man to disrupt the timing of the QB and Wr...but that also includes getting hands on the guy, otherwise you're not really disrupting anything. Someone mentioned in another post that maybe the Packers didn't plan to start the year with second year corners. They clearly expected to start the year with 2nd yr corners otherwise why would you not keep Hayward? I'd love to watch these guys in practice to see what techniques they practice. I honestly think it's more of a talent thing not technique.

You can't make Prime ribeye from ground Chuck beef. As much as I can't stand Capers..that's kinda what he's being asked to do.

It's very simple. If you have very young, inexperienced corners that aren't good at jamming receivers, then you don't ask them to jam the receivers. I find it amazing that people still doubt Capers being a decent DC when he's really only ever had two bad years in Green Bay AND he's currently working with a group of corners that would be lucky to start for a top-tier college football team!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Start with zone coverage which the Packers use with some frequency, especially in dime. If a perimeter corner is responsible for the short zone. If he jams he's out of position to defend the flat or crossing route. By engaging the receiver at the line he does not have proper depth to the defend the zone while placing himself in position to be blocked.

In man coverage, we see Gunter play a fair amount of press coverage. He happens to have good press technique. He doesn't jam so much as ride the receiver off the line keeping him from getting to full stride. He also gets topside help against the better opponents because he does not have the recovery speed needed to be consistently reliable pressing solo.

It's highly risky to ask a perimeter corner to press if he does not have good technique and excellent recovery speed. If you don't get a solid chuck on a guy who's going vertical, you don't have the recovery speed and there's no top side help, then...boom!

Neither Rollins nor Randall have neither good press technique nor outstanding flip and run quickness nor ball recognition skills with their backs to the play. You've been seeing a free safety (Randall) and slot CB (Rollins) playing perimeter corner.

Not having Shields, a guy who can press and recover if need be, puts you into a different defense. They'd often just let Shields play man on his side and mix and match zone or man in the rest of the D. Not having that guy is kinda like playing with 10 1/2 in the comparison where adjustments and cover ups have to be made.

Hey! Quiet down over there! You're ruining the newly made excuses to hate Dom Capers with your logic and reasoning!

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Gunter is matching up on Giants #13. Seems like we plan to pressure him on the line, and throw him off his game. If I was Capers I would dedicate a safety to him as well, and shut him down. We need to take a stand against this dude and win. I think putting our bruiser Gunter on him is a smart move. But he needs back up.

I am glad Randall can come in and play #2 CB. It will help a lot IMO.

We still have Hyde to play nickel. So we still have a very solid nickel.

Id still personally rather see Burnett playing a dime role , and going with an extra LB in the dime, rather than have a green practice squad rookie out there... Put Mathews at ILB, and add a Perry or Peppers to the field rather than a big question mark.

Our guys can handle it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly why we see these DBs chasing receivers all the time lol.

Correct. If corners that are bad at jamming try to jam a receiver then you don't see them chasing because they're so far behind the play that they don't show up on TV.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. If corners that are bad at jamming try to jam a receiver then you don't see them chasing because they're so far behind the play that they don't show up on TV.
Crazy thing is they not good at zone neither, you try and put them off the ball and they don't know how to step up on the quick slant or they miss the tackle on the quick screen oooorrrr they cant gaurd the double move. I'm praying capers dial up some blitzes or create some type of pressure to get Eli off his mark.

H

HardRightEdge

I see Gunter is matching up on Giants #13. Seems like we plan to pressure him on the line, and throw him off his game. If I was Capers I would dedicate a safety to him as well, and shut him down.
The Packers defended (and shut down) Julio Jones all day with Dix defending over the top, even in the red zone. Unfortunately, there was nobody in the middle of the field on the winning toss to Sanu. Whether it was Ryan or Martinez who was supposed to have that coverage (Ryan was chasing but Martinez was looking for work), having a LB on a guy with that quickness is a bad match up. There are no free lunches.

But don't expect it to be Gunter all day Beckham in press or otherwise, though Gunter all-day-press would be my preference. Capers does not dictate the perimeter match-ups. He plays fixed perimeter corners and has for a couple of years. Gunter plays right corner (left side of the offense). If the Giants like the Randall match up better, they can line up Beckham on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Only if McCarthy decides the stars have aligned and he's allowed to use Ty. It really is amazing how reluctant McCarthy is to use Ty as the primary RB.
Players were surprised as much as us with ripkowski getting the bulk...He had the hot hand...

this was said by TJ Lang on wssp 30 mins ago

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players were surprised as much as us with ripkowski getting the bulk...He had the hot hand...

It was mentioned a dozen times Sunday Night that Monty had trouble picking up some blitzes. He's still learning the position so you can't fault him..at the same time you definitely cannot get Rodgers hurt or we are toast. I'd rather have Rip in there blocking then to have Monty miss a block ..or not understand his assignment and get Rodgers knocked out of the game.. or worse. I'm with MM on this decision. You ALL should be too. Monty will be fine when he fully grasp playing rb in the NFL and blocking 245 pound blitzing lbs.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was mentioned a dozen times Sunday Night that Monty had trouble picking up some blitzes. He's still learning the position so you can't fault him..at the same time you definitely cannot get Rodgers hurt or we are toast. I'd rather have Rip in there blocking then to have Monty miss a block ..or not understand his assignment and get Rodgers knocked out of the game.. or worse. I'm with MM on this decision. You ALL should be too. Monty will be fine when he fully grasp playing rb in the NFL and blocking 245 pound blitzing lbs.
I seen Rodgers take a sack because Rip missed a block badly. I don't think is a very good reason to not play Monty more.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nahhh. I'm with the player that's best at the position. Ty is much better at RB than anyone one the Packers roster. It's real easy. When given a chance Ty has been one of the best running backs in the NFL.

The whole "blocking" thing might actually hold water if I didn't see Adams lined up in the backfield almost as much as Ty. Adams isn't a better blocker than Ty. "But wait, the D can't blitz when Adams is in the backfield because they have to cover him as a receiver". True, but the same SHOULD be the case with Ty. Unfortunately McCarthy doesn't seem to want Ty to motion as much as he really should. Ty, obviously not as good, should be used like Bell. Instead he's being used like any conventional RB in the Packers offense; he only catches the ball on screens and dump offs.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying they can't but right now they are not playing well. They are playing as bad or worse as the offense our defense has kept from scoring a ton of points the past couple weeks. The positive is our turnover happy secondary matches up well with their turnover happy qb. This defense isn't good. We all know that. But thankfully the giants offense isn't good either

The Giants defense been so good the last five games they don't need much offense to win. They held Dallas and Detroit to 7 points and 6 points. They held the team with best record NFC to 1 TD. That makes me nervous as hell.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We need him to play like he has recently. If we become one dimensional we will have a very bad day.

D

Deleted member 6794

Someone mentioned in another post that maybe the Packers didn't plan to start the year with second year corners. They clearly expected to start the year with 2nd yr corners otherwise why would you not keep Hayward?

The Packers for sure didn't plan on starting exclusively second year cornerbacks on the perimeter.

The Packers defended (and shut down) Julio Jones all day with Dix defending over the top, even in the red zone. Unfortunately, there was nobody in the middle of the field on the winning toss to Sanu. Whether it was Ryan or Martinez who was supposed to have that coverage (Ryan was chasing but Martinez was looking for work), having a LB on a guy with that quickness is a bad match up. There are no free lunches.

But don't expect it to be Gunter all day Beckham in press or otherwise, though Gunter all-day-press would be my preference. Capers does not dictate the perimeter match-ups. He plays fixed perimeter corners and has for a couple of years. Gunter plays right corner (left side of the offense). If the Giants like the Randall match up better, they can line up Beckham on the right side.

I still believe Hyde messed up on the late TD by Sanu at Atlanta as there's no way the scheme called for a linebacker to cover him.

Capers most likely plays fixed perimeter cornerbacks this season as Gunter struggles mightily on the left side.

I am confident in saying injuries have been the main culprit. When the kids healthy he can play.

As HRE has pointed out perfectly on several occasions Randall's most likely better suited to line up at free safety though.

Nahhh. I'm with the player that's best at the position. Ty is much better at RB than anyone one the Packers roster. It's real easy. When given a chance Ty has been one of the best running backs in the NFL.

It was pretty obvious early in the Lions game that the offense struggled with Montgomery in the backfield and performed significantly better once Ripkowski got on the field. I'm absolutely fine with McCarthy adjusting the scheme to make it work.

The Giants defense been so good the last five games they don't need much offense to win. They held Dallas and Detroit to 7 points and 6 points. They held the team with best record NFC to 1 TD. That makes me nervous as hell.

It will be interesting to see how the Packers offense fares against the Giants defense. With their cornerbacks being able to shut down most receiving corps Cook might end up being a key factor in this game as the Giants have had trouble covering tight ends all season long.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The offense has been great the last 6 weeks. He knew what he was doing during that stretch.

The results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That I agree with. This is a very good defense. At the same time the Packers put up 38 against the number 3 and 6 scoring defenses. And 27 and 31 against 12 and 13 over this last stretch of games. In fact the Packers are the reason the Seahawks and Vikings are not number 2 and 3. That side of the ball is going to be interesting. Avery hot offense against a very hot defense.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that moves him from the 116 corner to the 110th? He played a good game.. but I need to see more consistency before I drink the kool aid. Way more.

It is odd because he had a great first game and a very good last game. The middle was filled with injuries and poor play. Hope he can string together 3 more very good games.

Members online

Latest posts