Rollins Neck , FA CBs and big DBs merged

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried about the Giants improved rushing attack which could result in the Packers not being able to play the same defensive scheme as in week 5 making it way tougher to contain their receivers.

You do realize their offense has put up 15 ppg the last 5 never breaking 20 in that span, right? Sure they run better but their passing and scoring are still really poor

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize their offense has put up 15 ppg the last 5 never breaking 20 in that span, right? Sure they run better but their passing and scoring are still really poor
Our secondary may be the cure for that.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, but all of the defenses the Giants faced over that period are better than the Packers' one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Our secondary may be the cure for that.
Remind me how many points they gave up vs Lions in the dome.? Where weather wasn't a factor.

But do you count hail Mary in all honesty? If not then it's 17...not to bad considering that was their avg for last 5 games.

Not saying our Def will be lights out, but lets wait and see the tricks Dom and staff may have before saying they wont be any good

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remind me how many points they gave up vs Lions in the dome.? Where weather wasn't a factor.

But do you count hail Mary in all honesty? If not then it's 17...not to bad considering that was their avg for last 5 games.

Not saying our Def will be lights out, but lets wait and see the tricks Dom and staff may have before saying they wont be any good
I am optimistic.... However of course I count the Hail Mary. All of our secondary guys were standing behind the Lions receivers looking lost. Nobody has really discussed that play due to the fact that it did not affect the outcome of the game... but frankly in that situation I would have rather had Jordy and Adams standing back there.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but all of the defenses the Giants faced over that period are better than the Packers' one.

Well everyone's is. However their offense is much closer to the Lions and Vikings that struggled to put up points when the game was within reach. Those teams put up yards but not points. That is hope for the Packers defense this week

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last 5 they are about 108 per game..

1st 5 games they were 83 per game.

Not that huge of a difference... Just not sure of rushing att for those games..

Might have more last 5?

The attempts are up because the avg yds per carry are up. They found a guy they like. When your yds per carry are up it makes playaction more effective. Which makes their passing games more effective. That's what worries me. Throw out that they went from 83 per game to 108.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The attempts are up because the avg yds per carry are up. They found a guy they like. When your yds per carry are up it makes playaction more effective. Which makes their passing games more effective. That's what worries me. Throw out that they went from 83 per game to 108.

4 of those games he threw from between 180 to 201 yards. One game he threw for 360 but on 60 plus passes and 3 int. He has had just 6tds and 6 ints over that span. The running game isn't opening much up through the air over the games people are talking about. You can say it could but so far it really hasn't done much.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1st game 24 att
2nd 32 att
3rd 21 att
4th 18 att
5th (Packers) 15 att
22 att per game on avg or 3.77 per carry

Last 5
14 att
33 att
32 att
25 att
40 att
28.8 per game or 3.75 per carry..

So if my math is right, their per carry is almost identical (technically . 2 yards less per carry last games) they just are running it more..

So the run game isn't better, just running more

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st game 24 att
2nd 32 att
3rd 21 att
4th 18 att
5th (Packers) 15 att
22 att per game on avg or 3.77 per carry

Last 5
14 att
33 att
32 att
25 att
40 att
28.8 per game or 3.75 per carry..

So if my math is right, their per carry is almost identical (technically . 2 yards less per carry last games) they just are running it more..

So the run game isn't better, just running more

Maybe so...but the more you run the more you can keep the defense honest at least. That's why i get pissed off at MM when he gets pass happy. You don't want ppl teeing off on your QB. Rather it's getting big gains or not...it makes those lbs tame that step forward and those safeties pay attention too.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
4 of those games he threw from between 180 to 201 yards. One game he threw for 360 but on 60 plus passes and 3 int. He has had just 6tds and 6 ints over that span. The running game isn't opening much up through the air over the games people are talking about. You can say it could but so far it really hasn't done much.
Running game isn't anything to be truly concerned about.. Our running game is better than theirs

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
apparently Dorleant blew his acl... Damn shame for him. This was a gifted opportunity to go from practice squad, to playing time on the big stage... Not now.

Randall practiced today. He will play, but who knows how healthy he is.

Rollins most likely wont play this week.

GB picked up another guy who played CB on the practice squad most the season. Havnt learned his name yet, but it sounds like he will get some playing time this week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
apparently Dorleant blew his acl... Damn shame for him. This was a gifted opportunity to go from practice squad, to playing time on the big stage... Not now.

Randall practiced today. He will play, but who knows how healthy he is.

Rollins most likely wont play this week.

GB picked up another guy who played CB on the practice squad most the season. Havnt learned his name yet, but it sounds like he will get some playing time this week.

There is a thread on him... Herb water was a wr turned into cb

D

Deleted member 6794

Well everyone's is. However their offense is much closer to the Lions and Vikings that struggled to put up points when the game was within reach. Those teams put up yards but not points. That is hope for the Packers defense this week

I agree the Giants offense has struggled for most of this season but with Beckham, Shepard and Cruz they have talented wide receivers capable of exploiting the Packers patchwork secondary.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Giants offense has struggled for most of this season but with Beckham, Shepard and Cruz they have talented wide receivers capable of exploiting the Packers patchwork secondary.

I don't think anyone is saying they can't but right now they are not playing well. They are playing as bad or worse as the offense our defense has kept from scoring a ton of points the past couple weeks. The positive is our turnover happy secondary matches up well with their turnover happy qb. This defense isn't good. We all know that. But thankfully the giants offense isn't good either

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May opinion on Rollins last year, was he had no business going in the 2nd round. I stand corrected. He showed flashes that he could be a decent corner in the league..but he's definitely not starting material by a long shot. I also stand corrected in with that comment as well.

As for Adams? Once again...he's got potential to be a solid #2...but not a #1. He's way to inconsistent. He will have a good game and then dissapear the next. Hes shown flashes...but that's it. If Jordy got hurt and he had to carry a bigger load? Even healthy I do t see it happening.

Rollins looks like a classic slot corner and could probably play outside in zone scheme. Randall I still like given his measurables and aggressiveness but he needs to get healthy and well play with less aggression. He bites on too many double moves and since returning from his groin injury he's been playing off to protect against the deep ball, and hasn't been as effective. But he has the size speed acceleration and loose hips that you want, the rest is just health and technique.

Adams looks better than Jordy did at this point in his career. I think Adams could turn into a legit number 1. He quickness off the snap, his ability to disengage press coverage, route running and adjustments to the ball are top notch. His hands have been a problem but he's made progress here and I expect him to continue to improve.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins looks like a classic slot corner and could probably play outside in zone scheme. Randall I still like given his measurables and aggressiveness but he needs to get healthy and well play with less aggression. He bites on too many double moves and since returning from his groin injury he's been playing off to protect against the deep ball, and hasn't been as effective. But he has the size speed acceleration and loose hips that you want, the rest is just health and technique.

Adams looks better than Jordy did at this point in his career. I think Adams could turn into a legit number 1. He quickness off the snap, his ability to disengage press coverage, route running and adjustments to the ball are top notch. His hands have been a problem but he's made progress here and I expect him to continue to improve.

I mentioned his poor technique in another post. he does have some attributes to be good but so did Ahmad Carroll and look what happened with him. I think he's a below average tackler..and that's shocking especially for a guy who played safety in College. He's an ankle biter, NFL
WRs and Rb's break those tackles more times than not. As far as watching him in space? he's also not very physical at the point of attack. At times when they do play man he barely gets a jam on the wr. He needs to watch Al Harris and Charles Woodson tape..and see how they perfected the bump and run technique. He just doesn't seem like a physical dude at all. That's why I liked House and Hayward. I wish TT would've at least kept one smh.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned his poor technique in another post. he does have some attributes to be good but so did Ahmad Carroll and look what happened with him. I think he's a below average tackler..and that's shocking especially for a guy who played safety in College. He's an ankle biter, NFL
WRs and Rb's break those tackles more times than not. As far as watching him in space? he's also not very physical at the point of attack. At times when they do play man he barely gets a jam on the wr. He needs to watch Al Harris and Charles Woodson tape..and see how they perfected the bump and run technique. He just doesn't seem like a physical dude at all. That's why I liked House and Hayward. I wish TT would've at least kept one smh.
Wish I knew why our guys don't jam at los more.

They have to be told not to, but why?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm going to guess that the team isn't convinced the corners are good enough at jamming guys to not get beat. Jamming the receiver is great if the corner can do it but if the corner misses the jam then the receiver has already won. Also probably has to do with starting a ton of first and second-year guys at corner. Guys need time to learn how to jam in the NFL and I don't think any of the corners the Packers planned to start the season with, outside Shields, had much experience.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't get why they wouldn't. No one with any football sense would tell a corner to play man to man.. but allow your wr a free release. You play man to man to disrupt the timing of the QB and Wr...but that also includes getting hands on the guy, otherwise you're not really disrupting anything. Someone mentioned in another post that maybe the Packers didn't plan to start the year with second year corners. They clearly expected to start the year with 2nd yr corners otherwise why would you not keep Hayward? I'd love to watch these guys in practice to see what techniques they practice. I honestly think it's more of a talent thing not technique.

You can't make Prime ribeye from ground Chuck beef. As much as I can't stand Capers..that's kinda what he's being asked to do.

Members online

Latest posts