Rodgers vs other clutch q/b

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really want me to go back and show you the rest of Favre's clutch games? And no if you watched the games as I did you will have seen time after time where Brett Favre was CLUTCH.

Seven times in his first two seasons did he bring the Packers back from 4th quarter deficits. That's not clutch? LOL

Didnt say that, you just presented the obvious most famous favre game and used that as evidence. You should have led with your best material.

Favre has only 10 Td winning drives in the final 2 minutes in his career.

But lets talk about those 7 drives, actually please defend one for me. I assume, as most give him credit for you are saying favre had a come back against Phi in November of 92. Favre led a whole 0 yard, 2 play drive and then Jacke kicked the 41 yrd field goal to win the game. I'm sorry but thats something to LOL over.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
But lets talk about those 7 drives, actually please defend one for me. I assume, as most give him credit for you are saying favre had a come back against Phi in November of 92. Favre led a whole 0 yard, 2 play drive and then Jacke kicked the 41 yrd field goal to win the game. I'm sorry but thats something to LOL over.
Just another example of how pinning the whole 4th quarter comeback stat on a QB alone is ridiculous. Games are won and lost as a team.

That said, for every bad throw/decision Favre made - and there were plenty, especially from around 2001 on - the man was downright magical at times. The play/throw he made to beat the 49ers in 2009 (yeah, yeah, when he was a Viking) was absolutely sick. One of the best plays I've ever seen a QB make.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rocky is this same as yours? I dont think so

He breaks down every game

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/spor...cle_5b679792-25ef-11e3-9de3-0019bb2963f4.html

Week one against San Francisco. This is a tough one. Rodgers took over with the Packers down 8 and less than four minutes on the clock. Green Bay made it to the San Francisco 45 before the drive was stopped. The Packers were thoroughly outplayed in this game, I can't really pin the loss on the failures of Rodgers.

Week three at Seattle. The Fail Mary game. No. This one is not on Aaron Rodgers. Next.

Week five at Indianapolis. Rodgers brought the Packers back in front with a touchdown drive with 4:30 left. The defense proceeded to let the Colts waltz down the field and score a touchdown with 39 seconds left. Even with that, Rodgers drove the Packers down and got them an attempted Mason Crosby 51-yard field goal. It missed. Badly. Not Rodgers' fault.

Week 17 at Minnesota. Entered the fourth quarter trailing 24-21, but immediately directed a field goal drive to tie it. Defense surrenders a touchdown, then Rodgers directs a beautiful drive culminating in a touchdown pass with 2:57 to play. Defense can't hold and gives up a gamew-winning field goal. NOT Rodgers fault.

Week 15 at Kansas City. Entered the fourth quarter trailing 9-7 and the defense gives up a field goal almost immediately to make it 12-7. Packers had two failed drives while Kansas City scores a touchdown to make it 19-7. Rodgers directs a TD drive that makes it 19-14 with 2:12 left, but the onside kick failed and the game was lost. Thanks to the two drives, he does share some responsibility.

Divisional round vs. New York Giants. Down 7 to start the quarter, the defense immediately gives up a field goal to put them down 10. Ryan Grant then fumbled, the Giants converted that into a touchdown and that was all she wrote. While Rodgers didn't play particularly well in the game, he can't be docked for not bringing them back in the fourth quarter.

Week three at Chicago. Entered the 4th up 10-7, and Devin Hester immediately returns a punt for a touchdown. Rodgers brings them back for a touchdown and a 17-14 lead. After the Bears tie it at 17, Rodgers has the team on the move when James Jones fumbles the ball near midfield. The Bears drive, kick a field goal and win. Not on Rodgers.

Week five at Washington. Entered the 4th leading 13-3. An immediate long touchdown pass by Donovan Mcnabb makes it 13-10. Two failed drives, featuring sacks and holding penalties follow and the 'Skins tie it up at 13. Rodgers takes over at his own 21 with one timeout left and directs the offense into field goal range. Crosby missed a 53-yarder as time expires. In offense, the Packers had one failed drive and then a bad interception from Rodgers. Sure, he shares blame for the pick that led to the winning field goal. But had Crosby converted in regulation, it's a win.

Week six vs. Miami. Entered the 4th trailing 13-10. The Packers get a field goal to tie it, then Miami scores a touchdown to go up 20-13 with 5:29 to play. Rodgers drives the team all the way down the field and scores on a quarterback sneak as time expires. The Packers get one chance in overtime and see their drive felled by a sack. Dolphins get a field goal to win it. Hard to really fault Rodgers in this one.

Week 12 at Atlanta. Enters the fourth quarter down 17-10. Rodgers directs a 90-yard touchdown drives that ends with perhaps one of the best throws of his career, a 10-yard laser to Jordy Nelson on fourth down to tie it with just 1:06 left. Falcons get a big kickoff return, get a field goal and win. Not on Rodgers.

2009:

Week two against Cincinnati. Packers enter the 4th quarter trailing 28-21. The quarter includes three failed drives and includes three sacks. Down 10 points, Rodgers works a field goal drive to cut the lead to 7. After recovering an onside kick, the Packers work their way down to the 10-yard line, but the game is declared over on a disputed false start call.

Week nine at Tampa Bay. Enters the 4th with a 21-18 lead, and directs a touchdown drive to make it 28-18. Defense gives up an immediate touchdown and the Packers have a failed drive. Tampa again scores immediately and Rodgers takes over down 32-28 with 4:14 left on his own 20-yard line. Two sacks and a holding penalty ruin the drive. After the defense holds, Rodgers takes over with 1:35 left on his own 13-yard line and zero timeouts. He eventually throws a pick-six to end the game. I'll give Rodgers some responsibility in this one.

Week 15 at Pittsburgh. Enters the 4th quarter trailing 24-14, Rodgers directs a TD drive to make it 24-21. Pittsburgh gets a field goal to make it 27-21, and Rodgers scores another touchdown, making it 28-27 Green Bay. Pittsburgh gets another field goal to make it 30-28. Rodgers responds with a touchdown drive with 2:12 left giving the Packers a 36-30 lead. The Steelers score a touchdown on 4th and 19 with time running out. Not on Rodgers.

Wild card game at Arizona. Entering the fourth quarter trailing 38-24. Directs two quick touchdown drives, but Arizona scores in between, making it 45-38 Cardinals. Rodgers directs the team on a 71-yard touchdown drive to tie the game with two minutes remaining. After Arizona misses a field goal to send it into overtime, a holding penalty puts the Packers in a hole. Rodgers is hit (illegally, by the way), fumbles, and the ball is returned for a touchdown. Not on Rodgers.

Vs. Atlanta, week five. In his first year as starting quarterback, Rodgers has six of the 24 losses. The first one comes against Atlanta. The Packers enter the fourth quarter trailing 17-10. Rodgers directs a tying drive with 10 minutes left. The Falcons go up by a field goal and Rodgers throws an interception on 3rd-and-19. Down 27-17, he directs a TD drive to cut the lead to 27-24 with 2 minutes left. The onside kick fails and the game is over.

At Tennessee, week nine. Enter the 4th down 16-13 to the 8-0 Titans. Rodgers leads a field goal drive to tie the game at 16. He did have one failed drive that ended at the Titans 39 yard-line. Titans win the overtime toss, kick a field goal and win the game.

At Minnesota, week 10. Enters the fourth quarter up 24-21. After one failed drive, the Packers kick a field goal to make it 27-21. The Vikings score to make it 28-27, and Rodgers takes over with 2:15 left. He directs a drive that sets up a Mason Crosby 52-yard field goal to win it.He misses. Not on Rodgers.

Vs. Carolina, week 13. Enter the 4th tied at 21, the Packers score a touchdown with 13:47 left to go up 28-21. Carolina immediately ties the game, and the Packers go on a long drive that ends on the one-yard line after three failed runs. The Packers kick a field goal to make it 31-28, only to see the Panthers score right away to make it 35-31. Rodgers takes over at his own 17-yard line with two timeouts and1:24 to play. He throws an interception and the game is over.

Vs. Houston, week 14. Down 13-7 to enter the fourth quarter, Rodgers directs a touchdown drive to make it 14-13 Packers. The defense gives up a touchdown to make it 21-14 and Rodgers responds with a touchdown to tie the game with six minutes left. The Packers do have one failed drive, while the Texans end the game with a winning score.

At Jacksonville, week 15. Up 13-7 entering the fourth quarter, the Jags score a quick touchdown to lead 14-13. Rodgers again puts the Packers in front with a field goal with 16-14 left. Jacksonville scores a touchdown to make it 19-14. Rodgers takes over on his own 16-yard line with 1:50 left and two timeouts. After driving to midfield, Rodgers throws an interception to end the game.

At Chicago week 16. Yes, this is four weeks in a row. I remember them well. Enters the 4th quarter up 14-10. Packers kick a field goal to go up 17-10. After the teams exchange failed drives, the Bears tie the score with 3:16 left.

Rodgers takes over at the Chicago 35 after a big penalty, and moves them down in order for Mason Crosby to win the game with a 38-yard field goal. It's blocked. The Bears win the toss, kick a field goal and win the game.

At Dallas, week 13. Yep, it started right away. In the first meaningful action of his career, Rodgers was 0-1 by measure of this statistic.

Rodgers entered the game with the Packers trailing 27-10 in the second quarter after Brett Favre was injured. Rodgers brought the Packers to within 27-24 at the start of the 4th quarter. After a failed drive, the Cowboys scored to make it 34-24. Rodgers led a field goal drive, closing the gap to 34-27 with 5:09 to play.

Dallas nearly ran out the clock, getting a field goal to make it 37-27 with a minute to play.

Not on Rodgers.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score

That's the kind of article I was looking for. There have been articles like this going back a few years, since this BS about Rodgers' lack of performance in clutch first began.

Fact is, in a lot of those losses, Rodgers might share a portion of the blame. In a few - including the Bengals game - he deserves much of the blame. But a reasonable analysis of the realities (NOT stats) of those games makes it obvious that defense and, at times, special teams have been much more to blame than #12.

But we live in the fantasy football era. People are only concerned with stats and what the "experts" on ESPN/NFL Network are saying. But stats can be used selectively and manipulated to make any point. Take the 2011 Broncos with Tim Tebow. If you look at his personal stats, he was horrible. If you look at the Broncos' win-loss record with him as a starter, he suddenly looked pretty good. But anyone who has actually watched Tebow play knows how bad he is, regardless of what win-loss record or any other stat might say.

At the end of the day, this attack on Rodgers' supposed lack of clutchness is ridiculous, but not surprising. We're watching the best QB in the game, and probably one of the best to ever play. There are times - as in week 2 against Washington - that Rodgers seems almost inhuman in his abilities. It's only natural that people want to look for chinks in the armor.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see the stat of how many times Aaron gave the Packers the lead in the 4th and the defense gave it away. I am the first to criticize Aaron on his 4th quarter play, but you cannot doubt the fact the Packers defense in 93 with Butler, White, Brown, Patterson, Pulp, Koonce, Bennett, Teague... Was a little better at holding a lead than the one we currently have.

I posted an article outlining every game you are asking about

H

HardRightEdge

These statements bear repeating:

"- In the 21 losses in the Rodgers era which came by seven points or less, Rodgers led the Packers on 18 scoring drives which tied the game or gave the Packers the lead in the 4th quarter.
- In the majority of those games, Rodgers' last regulation drive ended with either a score or a field goal attempt. (Four misses by Mason Crosby.)"

It is striking, and perhaps telling, that your post received little reaction as the conversation turned to yet another of the endless string of Favre comparisons and O-Line commentary.

It is my recollection that a fair number of those 4th. quarter comeback drives were of the quick-strike variety. It would be interesting to know the time of possession on those 18 scoring drives. That way we could criticize Rodgers for scoring TOO FAST.

There have been a fair number of snake bites in this collection of drives as well. The Crosby misses are noted. The Franklin fumble is the most more recent; without it there is no failed 4th. quarter comeback provided the D can keep the Bengals from going 50 yards. Which brings us to the Capers D not being able to hold late leads in close games. We have a defensive philosophy that leans on turnovers...when we don't get one, we tend to bend, which tends to burn clock, working to the O's detriment if the opponent manages a score.

My main criticism of Rodgers, which I've never heard anyone note while it is has been fairly obvious over the years, is that he is regularly inaccurate with his screens and touch passes in the flats...short throws to receivers in space. These balls tend to come out low or in poor position. He's misfired often enough to a variety of backs and receivers in these situations to think it is not miscommunication. I doubt this is fixable in a 29 year old QB. You take the bad with the good, or better put, you take the bad with the great.

Apply the eye test of Rodgers to Andy Dalton, a current media darling and fantasy league break-out bet. There is no comparison. Thank your lucky stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is my recollection that a fair number of those 4th. quarter comeback drives were of the quick-strike variety. It would be interesting to know the time of possession on those 18 scoring drives. That way we could criticize Rodgers for scoring TOO FAST.

post #53 might be what your looking for.

12theTruth

These statements bear repeating:

"- In the 21 losses in the Rodgers era which came by seven points or less, Rodgers led the Packers on 18 scoring drives which tied the game or gave the Packers the lead in the 4th quarter.
- In the majority of those games, Rodgers' last regulation drive ended with either a score or a field goal attempt. (Four misses by Mason Crosby.)"

It is striking, and perhaps telling, that your post received little reaction as the conversation turned to yet another of the endless string of Favre comparison and O-Line commentary.

There have been a fair number of snake bites in this collection of drives as well. The Crosby misses are noted. The Franklin fumble is the most more recent; without it there is no failed 4th. quarter comeback provided the D can keep the Bengals from going 50 yards. Which brings us to the Capers D not being able to hold late leads in close games. We have a defensive philosophy that leans on turnovers...when we don't get one, we tend to bend, which tends to burn clock, working against the O's detriment if the opponent manages a score.

My main criticism of Rodgers, which I've never heard anyone note while it is has been fairly obvious over the years, is that he is regularly inaccurate with his screens and touch passes in the flats...short throws to receivers in space. These balls tend to come out low or in poor position. He's misfired often enough to a variety of backs and receivers in these situations to think it is not miscommunication. I doubt this is fixable in a 29 year old QB. You take the bad with the good, or better put, you take the bad with the great.

I don't have the game tapes in front of me but I remember watching a good many of those failed 4th quarter comebacks. And while you are absolutely correct in your post, a caveat is in the circumstances. Aaron lets say would score with 8 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter either tying it or taking a small lead. The defense, being the challenged bunch they were, allowed the other team to score a reciprocating TD but many times there would still be time left on the clock for the Packers to produce more points.

Didn't always pan out this way but I do remember this happening several times and although you really can't pin loads of blame on Aaron Rodgers, some of those games he just couldn't deliver when provided the final opportunity with a couple minutes left in the game.

Either the way the current stat I'd say is skewed if you will as a result of Caper's D, Crosby, etc.

BTW. You can call it scoring too fast or you could look at it as a game is 60 minutes long and what happens in the final

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/spor...cle_5b679792-25ef-11e3-9de3-0019bb2963f4.html

There you have it. I think this is my favorite, though others may prefer the AZ playoff shoot-out from the same season:

"Week 15 at Pittsburgh. Enters the 4th quarter trailing 24-14, Rodgers directs a TD drive to make it 24-21. Pittsburgh gets a field goal to make it 27-21, and Rodgers scores another touchdown, making it 28-27 Green Bay. Pittsburgh gets another field goal to make it 30-28. Rodgers responds with a touchdown drive with 2:12 left giving the Packers a 36-30 lead. The Steelers score a touchdown on 4th and 19 with time running out."

The defense has come under fire the last couple of years for being "soft", as in the players are soft. After watching this season's SF game, where in my opinion we out-physicaled them, the issue is not the players but the scheme, where finesse skills, opportunism and complexity in the disguises are emphasized up to the breaking point.

12theTruth

There you have it. I think this is my favorite:

"Week 15 at Pittsburgh. Enters the 4th quarter trailing 24-14, Rodgers directs a TD drive to make it 24-21. Pittsburgh gets a field goal to make it 27-21, and Rodgers scores another touchdown, making it 28-27 Green Bay. Pittsburgh gets another field goal to make it 30-28. Rodgers responds with a touchdown drive with 2:12 left giving the Packers a 36-30 lead. The Steelers score a touchdown on 4th and 19 with time running out."

Yeh the Steelers threw for over 500 yards that day. :mad: The Cardinals destroyed our defense in similar fashion about a month later.

H

HardRightEdge

The defense, being the challenged bunch they were, allowed the other team to score a reciprocating TD but many times there would still be time left on the clock for the Packers to produce more points.

So now we require taking a 4th. quarter lead TWICE in the same game to qualify as elite? I'd like to see THOSE stats for Brady, Montana, Manning, et. al.

12theTruth

So now we require taking a 4th. quarter lead TWICE in the same game to qualify as elite? I'd like to see THOSE stats for Brady, Montana, Manning, et. al.

Not every game played out as disastrously as this game did for the defense. Rodgers had a few more 'realistic' opportunities to pull out the wins. But if I were him, I'd be pretty demoralized after doing everything humanly possible to win and still be undermined as he was at times.

H

HardRightEdge

Not every game played out as disastrously as this game did for the defense. Rodgers had a few more 'realistic' opportunities to pull out the wins. But if I were him, I'd be pretty demoralized after doing everything humanly possible to win and still be undermined as he was at times.

See, that's the thing. He's been at this for some years now and does not buckle under to adversity. He's had about one substandard game per season, with the perfunctory "I played poorly" postscript, generally followed by high yardage, high scoring performances. I expect no less against Detroit. It's time for the D to step up if this team has championship pretensions.

As a side note, here's an update on the "Jennings watch". 11 catches on 19 targets for a 58% completion rate. 160 yards. 0 TDs. He's perfectly healthy from what I can tell. His numbers project to 59 catches on 101 targets for 853 yds. and 0 TDs. Wasn't he the guy that boasted the receivers made the QB in GB, and would do so again in Minnesota?

There is a lesson here for those who questioned Rodgers leadership based on Jennings comments and similar ones from Driver: never side with knuckleheads, especially after they've been fired, and particularly when they're wide receivers or cover corners...they can be a particularly mercurial lot. We would not have thought that of Jennings and Driver...I guess their true natures are coming out now that they've been deprogrammed from the Packer "brainwashing".

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Reading that game-by-game summary of all the close losses over these past years got me upset, as if I was reliving all of them.

One thing for sure: We shouldn't be talking about Rodgers being "un-clutch", rather it is Crosby. Sheesh, has he EVER made a FG for the win? Probably yes, but he sure has missed a bunch...

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. In 2010 Packers won the Superbowl. Final Packers drive they were leading 28-25. TD ices it, Field Goal leaves it up to the D (Which even then other than T/Os was abysmal). Aaron marches the team down the field, and if I'm remembering correctly (and maybe I'm not) we have a 1st and goal inside the 5. Aaron gets 3, leaving Rothlesberger time to win the game. Defense steps up big especially on the final 2 plays, and that's what ices the game, not Aaron! Final Score after FG 31-25. Final score after a would be TD at least 34-25 if not 35-25

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the thing. In 2010 Packers won the Superbowl. Final Packers drive they were leading 28-25. TD ices it, Field Goal leaves it up to the D (Which even then other than T/Os was abysmal). Aaron marches the team down the field, and if I'm remembering correctly (and maybe I'm not) we have a 1st and goal inside the 5. Aaron gets 3, leaving Rothlesberger time to win the game. Defense steps up big especially on the final 2 plays, and that's what ices the game, not Aaron! Final Score after FG 31-25. Final score after a would be TD at least 34-25 if not 35-25

As predicted, it was only a matter of time before somebody noted that Rodgers leaves too much time on the clock with those 4th. quarter scoring drives. ;) I guess he should have stretched out that 10 play, 75 yard, 5:27 drive for a couple more minutes. By the way, the final series of the FG drive started with first and goal at the 8, as if that matters.

The better question might be, "why were 3 passing plays called in the final series before the FG?" 3 runs would have burned PIT's last timeout, burned the 2 minute warning TO, and then 40 more seconds off the clock, leaving PIT with about 1:20 and no TOs while having to go the length of the field. This play calling was either a vote of no confidence for the defense or poor clock management, choose your poison.

In any case, I think when you kick off with 2:07 on the clock with a 6 point lead and the opponent having 1 timeout remaining you should expect the defense to prevent a TD a good majority of the time, SB or otherwise, whether it's Brady or anybody else.

Or maybe the two-time Superbowl winning QB who completed a game winning TD pass in SB XLIII with 35 seconds on the clock is the guy who is "un-clutch".

Further, even if you don't like my reasoning, one instance is anecdotal, SB or otherwise. I think, and I'm just guessing here, we ought to be looking at Rodgers' and Capers' entire body of work in this kind of discussion.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Rodgers was MVP in that game. He played insanely well that day. 3TDs, no picks, 300+ yards...

And you don't like how it ended?

You and Bus. Peas in a pod.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers was MVP in that game. He played insanely well that day. 3TDs, no picks, 300+ yards...

And you don't like how it ended?

You and Bus. Peas in a pod.

The way Rodgers-to-Jennings exploited Polamalu's bum achilles was masterful.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Superb post. And wasn`t it a bat down on the 4th down by Tramon Williams that sealed it for us ???

I was one of those that *****ed about Rodgers last week, but we`ve moved on, and I`m no longer pissed about it. Bring on the Lions and lets hoped we learned from last weeks mistakes.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Field Goal leaves it up to the D (Which even then other than T/Os was abysmal).
Wait. The 2010 D was "abysmal"? Are you freaking kidding me? :confused:

The 2010 D was 5th in yards allowed and 2nd in points allowed, which is the only defensive stat that really matters. They allowed 1/2 a point per game more than the #1 Steelers D. They allowed only 22 TDs, which I believe was second best to the Steelers' 20. And they were clutch on the playoff run.

As for Rodgers, his bullet to Jennings to convert 3rd and long was one of the biggest plays in that game. Then there was the big play to Jones to set up the first-and-goal. Then he had the ball at the 8 against the league's stingiest D. So he didn't get TD. So what? He led a 70-yard scoring drive that forced the Steelers to score a touchdown.

Which, by the way, they would have to do against the most difficult defense to score on not named the Pittsburgh Steelers.

So, Rodgers isn't clutch because he goes 70 yards in crunch time and only gets a field goal. And the defense in 2010 was abysmal. Bus, is that you? SMFH.... :rolleyes:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have the game tapes in front of me but I remember watching a good many of those failed 4th quarter comebacks. And while you are absolutely correct in your post, a caveat is in the circumstances. Aaron lets say would score with 8 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter either tying it or taking a small lead. The defense, being the challenged bunch they were, allowed the other team to score a reciprocating TD but many times there would still be time left on the clock for the Packers to produce more points.

Didn't always pan out this way but I do remember this happening several times and although you really can't pin loads of blame on Aaron Rodgers, some of those games he just couldn't deliver when provided the final opportunity with a couple minutes left in the game.

Either the way the current stat I'd say is skewed if you will as a result of Caper's D, Crosby, etc.

BTW. You can call it scoring too fast or you could look at it as a game is 60 minutes long and what happens in the final
That says it all. Aaron shouldn't have to score 30 pts to win most games. It seems that if a team really needs a score our d has a tough time getting the stop. So all the pressure is on Rodgers in the 4th. when the other team knows we are going to pass and they get to tee off our sorry oline and pressure Rodgers even more. Give us a top 15 oline and a top 12 D and Rodgers will end with more superbowls than Brady.

Members online

Latest posts