1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rodgers vs other clutch q/b

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Sep 24, 2013.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/sports/gr...er-another-4th-quarter-failure-224928832.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Here's a little more on the Rodgers clutchness late in games, as if we all don't already know from seeing and feeling it....Here's some from ESPN... a lot more than this at the article, but here's some snippets:

Sorry, that was an insider article and you posted the entire article, so it was deleted

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Good find Frank, interesting reading. Yes, the defense gives up the big play to often and is piss poor facing a two-minute offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,056
    Where's Starr on the list?

5. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Until Rodgers can win of couple of these, we will be hearing much more about this stat I'm thinking. I'm personally not convinced he's going to be able to improve it much with the likes of Barclay and EDS playing important roles in Aaron Rodgers protection.

Being the NFL's highest paid player and the almost consensus BEST QB and maybe even player in the league, he can't be making that Favre-esque throw as he did down the sideline.

Cincinatti does have a very good defense but with that many yards gained on the ground, Aaron Rodgers should have been able to put together better than a 60 something passer rating. Something is amiss!

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Yes they do, up front.
    But Pac-Man Jones and Terence Newman were castoffs years ago from Dallas.... people laughed at them, laughed at the Bengals for getting them, and they weren't supposed to even be starters right now.

So many bad plays led to the Perfect Storm.... all of them had to come together for the Bengals to pull out the win.
    And they did.
    Rodgers could have silenced it all, and I think many of us thought he would..... but he didn't.

7. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    My question is this: Is it his fault that 2 throws in a row ( on 3rd and 4th down) were batted down when they were going to be almost obvious completions? Both times it looked like an accurate throw and the receiver was open, it's not like he had THAT bad of a decision on the final drive. Yes, he shouldn't have thrown that last interception, but when do we ever ever ever ever ever question a ball that Rodgers throws? One in every 10 games?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +488
    Maybe we do not question his throws because he rarely throws a bad ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,385
    Kacsmar used to write about #4 not being a clutch player also. Kacsmar received some awards for writing but he is a big Manning/Marino fan boy. Not that that really challenges his facts and statistics. But the Coach was right, one can really make statistics dance if you want to.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,666
    Rodgers go the sh*t beat out of him in the first half. The pass blocking was substandard against a D-Line teeing off against the pass all day.

Rodgers' first pick was on Jones. This is not the first time Jones failed to finish a crossing route leading to an INT.

The final offensive play for the Packers was emblematic of the passing game. Bakhtiari blew a cut block leading to the tipped pass...end of story.

This was not Rodgers' finest day, but in the end it was not a bad performance. His only blatant mistake was on the second INT where the DB had prefect position on Cobb.

The idea that Ross was scapegoated for Rodgers' failings is ludicrous. A #5 receiver who is clueless as a kickoff returner and brings nothing to the passing game, a guy who was on the bubble for the 53 man to begin with, and only made the squad by virtue of tenure and rookie injuries should be mentioned in the same breath with Rodgers is beyond the pale.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    Anyone remember the Atlanta game in 2010? I wouldn't say Rodgers isn't capable of bringing us back to win a game because he very much is....I believe in my heart had we had better execution during those last couple of plays we win the game. Two batted balls in a row to lose the game with throws towards the sidelines is just inexcusable to me. We had two freakin timeouts and could have used the middle of the field but chose to throw quick out routes that the bengals D-line was clearly anticipating. Poor Execution period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Atlanta 2010?? That wasn't a come back game, that was an all out A$$ WHOOPIN

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    favre wasnt clutch tho

14. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    post Holmgren Favre's clutch meter suffered tremendously but from 92-98 Favre was as clutch as they came.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    The bengals game is on Rodgers. You cant be the highest paid player in the league and suck it up that bad. A ton of bad throws. Held the ball too long. ect ect.

did ross help? hell no. no the injuries? No. but Rodgers never played like the best player on the field Sunday, our offensive struggles are on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    I would more go 95-97 but I agree there was a stretch where he was clutch. His career as a whole? No. I was waiting for him to throw a pick late in most games if it was close.

17. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree but this offensive line is going to put tremendous pressure on Rodgers all season long unless we get another body back off the PUP lists. Having Finley back will definitely help but Rodgers is/was playing and appeared tremendously uncomfortable in the pocket. As bad as I've seen him look over his career body language wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    I dont look at this offensive line as worse than any other year

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Talent wise they are easily the worst in the NFL judging just by draft position etc., Also Barclay and EDS are big weak links as my eyes have seen them get plays blown up repeatedly. We have had quite a few three and outs this season so far. The line has to share in this responsibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre clutch very first year. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/15458/bengals-started-the-brett-favre-legend

Sure he threw some maddening interception at times but a defense knew they were in trouble in Favre had the ball needing to score in the final 2 minutes to win the game. Unfortunately with Aaron Rodgers when the occasions have presented themselves they just haven't panned out for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree its still not very good but it is better than last years unit with Saturday.

22. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +338
    Draft position does not necessarily reflect talent, there are plenty of UFAs and late rounders who have more physical talent than first rounders. For instance of the 5 CBs taken in the first round of the 2010 draft are any as talented as Sam Shields?

Back to OL, I will say that EDS and Barclay are both try high production guys who play over their heads. Bak isn't exactly the size you'd want but he has long arms, 34 inches, and his hands are decent size. He kind of reminds me of Chad Clifton with his performance in the not sexy ability categories. He bends well, has quick feet, plays with good leverage so I'd say he's probably average in ability with the potential to be a very good OL.

23. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +338
    I think it's better than last year's unit with Bak at LT and Barclay being better than he was last season. If Lang and Sitton can stay healthy those two are legit studs and will make EDS look a lot better than he is.

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    you think you should label a player clutch off 1 game? wow.

25. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you really want me to go back and show you the rest of Favre's clutch games? And no if you watched the games as I did you will have seen time after time where Brett Favre was CLUTCH.

Seven times in his first two seasons did he bring the Packers back from 4th quarter deficits. That's not clutch? LOL