Rodgers vs Manning

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so I see alot of these top QBs lists (here I will post another one)

FP - Top 12 Quarterbacks: Twitter War Started This

And I agree Brady is #1. He was the unanimous MVP last season when he threw 36 TDs and 4 INTs. Rodgers isnt there, yet. So lets move on to the real debate, Rodgers vs Peyton Manning.

Who is better right now? So take some of last season and some of what you expect in 2011 and tell me who is better.

In 2010 Rodgers played in 14.5 games in the regular season and threw for 3,922 yards for an avg of 8.3 yards per throw. He had 28 TDs and 11 ints.

In 2010 Manning played in 16 games in the regular season and threw for 4700 yards for an avg of 6.9 yards per throw. He had 33 TDs and 17 INTs.

I might even invite a well respected colts expert to chime in on here with his (I assume pro peyton) strongly fact based argument.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see someone else from here hop on Football Pros. I've been there since last year before the season started. It is truly a one of a kind forum.

To be honest, I have no problem with Manning being ranked above Rodgers in terms of who the better QB is today. The raw stats don't always tell the story, and Manning has been at the top of his game for so long that he's earned the #1 or 2 spot.

You could make the Argument that Rodgers was better last year, but as far as the best in the game over an entire body of work, I have no issue with it being Brady, Manning, then Rodgers, in that order.

18to88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the question. If the question is, "Who had the better 2010?", then the answer is Rodgers. If the question is who is better overall, I think Manning's track record is longer and more steady than Rodgers. If the question is who do I want in 2011, I expect the Colts offense to have a monster year.

Aaron Rodgers has been as good as any quarterback in football for the past two years, but that's no guarantee he'll continue playing at that level. History is littered with QBs who have a couple of stellar years only to have their play drop off due to injury or other factors.

He's a wonderful player, and there's every reason to think he'll continue being one.

It would be interesting to see how he'd fare in a situation like Manning's last year where he had to throw some 200 more times than Rodgers did.

I consider Rodgers a top five QB along with Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, and Manning. Which one is the best in any given season will always be difficult to determine. That's the tier, however, and he's earned his place on it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I don't have a single ounce of doubt that Rodgers is the best QB in the league. Nobody brings what he does. What he did in the playoffs, it was as if Joe Montana had Steve Young's athleticism. It was an early on John Elway, but clutch. He made throws that only Favre was capable in his prime, but without Favre's careless.

Regular season doesn't mean anything, as Joe Montana never even threw for 4000 yards, and his top was 31 TDs. But in postseason the guy was a maniac, with 12 games of over 100 QB rating!

Now, if we're talking career, he's still behind both Manning and Brady.

But, right now, Rodgers is the best. He isn't in the top tier in dissecting defenses yet, he's not with Manning, Brady and Brees. But Rodgers is right behind them, and with his mobility and cool, it tops them.

Rodgers can make every single throw with perfection, something that Brady can't do. He's more careful and a better leader than Manning (he doesn't blame others for poor play). He can run and throw on the run as well as on the pocket. He can run for a score.

It's no coincidence that Rodgers is #1 in regular season QB rating and #1 in postseason QB rating. The guy is a monster.

He still have some areas to work, his close passes, and beating a cover 2 team, though with a running game, it'll be easier, they won't be able to simply rush the QB on every down.

But there's nobody I feel more comfortable with running my team than Aaron Rodgers. If I can choose any player to lead my team for the 2011 season, it's Rodgers.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for comparing the seasons last year, yes we lost Tauscher, Finley and Grant. Contrast that to the Colts losing Dallas Clark (Finley,) Anthony Gonzales (Driver), Joseph Addai (Grant), Mike Hart (Brandon Jackson), and Austin Collie (James Jones). That's in addition to the injury carousel on their offensive line, so much so that they at one point had to have their rookie tight end get ready to play Guard for the final Titans game. That's a ton of skill to be without for a large part or all of the season.

Yes, we too had injuries, and we noticed a lack of offensive production with just those three guys missing. Imagine having constant injuries on your offensive line and missing your #2 and 3 WR's, plus the backup QB. That's why Mannings numbers are a bit softer than Rodgers.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here is a shameless plug for 18to88.com for anyone interested in Colts talk. Not only the best colts website its one of the best websites for football period.

I dont have anything to do with the site though and I dont think I am even registered to post comments, even though I thought about it after the Packers destroyed them the past couple games, preseason and reg.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the question. If the question is, "Who had the better 2010?", then the answer is Rodgers. If the question is who is better overall, I think Manning's track record is longer and more steady than Rodgers. If the question is who do I want in 2011, I expect the Colts offense to have a monster year.

Aaron Rodgers has been as good as any quarterback in football for the past two years, but that's no guarantee he'll continue playing at that level. History is littered with QBs who have a couple of stellar years only to have their play drop off due to injury or other factors.

He's a wonderful player, and there's every reason to think he'll continue being one.

It would be interesting to see how he'd fare in a situation like Manning's last year where he had to throw some 200 more times than Rodgers did.

I consider Rodgers a top five QB along with Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, and Manning. Which one is the best in any given season will always be difficult to determine. That's the tier, however, and he's earned his place on it.
Rodgers' 2009 season:
541 attempts. 65.7% completion. 4.434 yards. 30 Tds. 7 Ints. 8.2 YPA. 103.2 rating

Manning 2009 season:
571 attempts. 68.8% completion. 4.500 yards. 33 Tds. 17 Ints. 7.9 YPA. 99.9 rating.

BTW, Manning has 3 +100 rating seasons (one being an absurd 121.1) in 13 seasons as a starting QB. His regular season rating is 94.9

Rodgers, in 3, has 2 +100 rating seasons. His regular season rating is 98.4

Manning has 5 games of +100 rating in 19 postseason games. His postseason rating is 88.4

Rodgers has 4 games of +100 rating in 5 postseason games. His postseason rating is 112.6

Manning has done it longer, but Rodgers has done it better.

Rodgers is the first NFL QB we EXPECT to have a 100+ rating game, or else it's a disappointment. That's how good he is. We EXPECT him to do amazing plays both with his feet and arms, and not make mistakes.

Oh, and he led the league in positive plays according to PFF last year. He was also the best graded QB.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think Rodgers was incredible this season, especially during the post season. If you look strictly at statistics, Brady & Manning surely have better numbers that Rodgers. However, I'm not always a believer in stats. A lousy pass could be completed by an awesome reciever. A perfect pass could be dropped by a butter fingered reciever. As Sparta Chris states, Mannings numbers were down due to injuries in the Colt's offense. A really great quarter back can hold the team together with the 1st or 2nd string offense. In 2010, I think Rodgers showed the most tenacity and talent in dealing with any adversity given to him. My vote goes to Rodgers.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I agree with Aikman, if I was a GM and had the choice of any QB out there, I'd take Rodgers. Yeah, it's not a fact based argument. See above got those.

God I hope we have a season this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard a discussion on this topic on the radio this afternoon and someone said Brady, Rodgers and Manning in that order. That’s how I would rank them, particularly regarding ivo610’s criteria:Who is better right now? So take some of last season and some of what you expect in 2011 and tell me who is better. Of course Manning’s career is superior but remember: Right now one QB is on the top of the list for all time regular season QB rating and all time playoff QB rating and he wears number 12 for the Packers. And he had a better rating and a better season than Manning last season.

IMO one play particularly epitomizes how good Rodgers has gotten. Re-watch Rodgers Super Bowl third-and-10 throw to Jennings for 31 yards with about 6 minutes left in the game. Remember the momentum was definitely with PIT and the Packers defensive backfield was reeling. I don’t like the Packers chances if they have to punt after that play. The throw was a dart and perfectly placed. That’s as big time, pressure packed a throw as you’ll see. And before that play Rodgers tells the huddle, “We’re going to be champions tonight”, just in case any teammates had any doubts. He gets leadership points for that too. Of course that wasn't the only accurate dart he threw and just imagine if the receivers didn't drop so many balls in that game. Rodgers was astonishingly good in that game.

Not to take anything away from Peyton – no QB in the league today controls his offense on the field the way he does. But Rodgers gets the edge for me because: 1) he’s younger 2) he’s extremely careful with the ball, 3) and the biggest contrast with Peyton is Rodgers’ ability to run the ball, and 4) because I’m a Packers fan. I do think it’s a close call and that’s a huge compliment for Rodgers.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both can make out of this world throws and both have shown up in big games as they've each won a Superbowl beating tough opponents along the way and being essential leaders throughout their careers. I'd choose the one with more mobility and that's Rodgers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while...

What's Rodgers' signature games? Atlanta in the playoffs and the SB.

What's Favre's signature game? Against OAK in the regular season.

I know this is not Rodgers x Favre, but it just caught my attention that Rodgers' signature game is in the playoffs and in the SB and Favre's in the regular season.

What is Manning's? Comeback against NE in the playoffs?

What is Brady's?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while...

What's Rodgers' signature games? Atlanta in the playoffs and the SB.

What's Favre's signature game? Against OAK in the regular season.

I know this is not Rodgers x Favre, but it just caught my attention that Rodgers' signature game is in the playoffs and in the SB and Favre's in the regular season.

What is Manning's? Comeback against NE in the playoffs?

What is Brady's?

Peyton Manthing (what should I do?) had a couple great games against denver in the playoffs but nothing huge other than that comes to mind in the postseason. Regular season I guess 04 against the lions was pretty epic. I dont follow Peyton close enough to off the top of my head give an excellent answer

Bradys to me was one of the SB MVP performances, the titans game, or there was a game against the bills I think that was amazing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton Manthing (what should I do?) had a couple great games against denver in the playoffs but nothing huge other than that comes to mind in the postseason. Regular season I guess 04 against the lions was pretty epic. I dont follow Peyton close enough to off the top of my head give an excellent answer

Bradys to me was one of the SB MVP performances, the titans game, or there was a game against the bills I think that was amazing.
Yeah, but I'm not talking about amazing games.
I'm talking about ultimate games, games that define the person. I'm talking about when you think of a player, you immediately think about those games.

For instance, Montana was The Catch against Dallas and the SB against the Dolphins IMHO.

Steve Young was the SB against the Chargers where he had an out-of-this-world performance.

I also don't follow Brady and Manning that closely to make a definitive statement regarding them, but I think it illustrates what kind of QB you're dealing with.

With Favre, his game being in the regular season against a weak opponent, but right after his father died, illustrates Favre perfectly. A guy that was at his best when there wasn't much pressure on him, but also shows a guy that was a lion, that loved the game so much and was such an ironman that not even the death of his father stopped him from playing, and it actually gave him fuel.

With Rodgers, his best games coming indoors, but on huge stages, shows that he's a perfectionist who's not intimidated by any circumstances. I don't think Rodgers is one of those guys that rises in the though spots like Brady, Montana and Starr. Rather, I think he's a guy that maintain his consistency regardless of the stage.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then the come back against the pats for manning and bradys MVP performance in the SB i guess

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then the come back against the pats for manning and bradys MVP performance in the SB i guess
With Manning I agree.
But Brady's MVP was meh... I remember the Patriots' SBs more for Viniatiery than Brady, but I guess it has to be.

What does that say about Brady, that I can't think of a signature game for him? (Granted, I'm not particularly aware of his whole career)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Manning I agree.
But Brady's MVP was meh... I remember the Patriots' SBs more for Viniatiery than Brady, but I guess it has to be.

What does that say about Brady, that I can't think of a signature game for him? (Granted, I'm not particularly aware of his whole career)

He threw for 354 and 3 tds in one of those SBs. But yeah adam gets the credit.

That 2nd quarter against the titans is the best quarter I have ever seen by an offense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Although it didn't end in a championship, the first thing I think about Brady as an individual is his 2007 season: 50 TDs and just 8 INTs. Yes he had help but that was amazing as was being the QB of a team which won 3 titles in 4 seasons. BTW, he broke Peyton's '04 record of 49 passing TDs; Marino is next on the list with 48 and 44 TD passes in a season.

Also, Brady is such a student of the game he knew the intricacies of the tuck rule and was just play'n with Woodson in that playoff game. … OK, just kidding about that last one.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with most of the Rodgers supporters in this thread (I also think he is the best in the league even if stats and others don't necessarily agree right now). The one knock on Rodgers is that he can't win the close games, I don't remember his record but I remember it not being good in those close ones. Granted that is a bit of a flawed statistic because it's not always his fault. But I'm pretty sure right now he is 0-5 in OT. Yes Rodgers has amazing ability and can absolutely take over a game like in Atlanta, but the one thing Peyton has going for him (although not as much lately) is that he can always lead that late comeback.

I don't mean to say Rodgers doesn't have that ability, in fact I know he has it. Just look at the EPIC drive he led at the end of the first Atlanta game last season before capping it off with that incredible TD to Nelson in the corner of the endzone. But I guess Peyton gets a lot of credit for being expected to be able to do that, where as so far Rodgers hasn't been able to add as many of those kinds of victories to his name yet...

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer an above question about what was Brady's definitive moment. I agree it's the Superbowl MVP 32/48 354 yds 3 TD game against Carolina. His first Superbowl MVP win wasn't overly impressive granted he did get the job done against St. Louis. As for Manning yes comeback against the Pats. He couldn't get over the Brady hump in the playoffs till that year.

Members online

Latest posts