Rodgers throws little more than tizzy

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Chris Havel

It isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here. The Green Bay Packers' season began Sept. 10 with a shutout loss at home, and it felt like it ended Sunday with a 35-0 loss to New England at Lambeau Field.

With six games to play and ineptitude rampant in the NFC North, anything is possible, but given the Packers' gut check-turned-reality check against the Patriots, any playoff speculation is senseless.

New England showed the Packers what a true contender looks like. It bore no resemblance to anything Green Bay has seen in the mirror lately.

A game that began as a matchup featuring future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks Tom Brady and Brett Favre ended with the former on the bench and the latter in the locker room. Brady was savoring a victory and Favre was nursing an injury, but the course had been charted long before that.

Brady was brilliant while throwing for four touchdowns in an MVP-like performance.

Favre was off even before banging his funny bone on a day that proved to be no laughing matter. His play was distressing, though I suspect he hasn't thrown his final touchdown pass. He is too tough, resilient and stubborn to stop now.

More disturbing was backup Aaron Rodgers' performance before, during and after the game.

Rodgers seemed inadequately prepared to step in and at least be serviceable against New England's powerful defense.

Then, when the Patriots began pounding him, his body language suggested he wasn't to blame. He shook his head in disgust, raised his palms skyward and seemed to say, "What am I supposed to do with blocking like that?"

It was obvious before Rodgers' first snap the Packers' young offensive line was no match for the Patriots' Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork. Rodgers didn't need to belabor the point by getting down on himself and his line so quickly.

Rodgers, who injured an ankle while running for his life, didn't do himself any favors by shuffling off and declining to speak to the media.

Sunday was his chance to lead the offense. Leading isn't merely throwing touchdown passes and celebrating wins. It is dealing with disappointment and facing the music even when the tune is awful.

Rodgers could have limped to the podium, put on his best face and said, "We didn't play very well today. We will correct the problems. We will be better for it."

I suspect Rodgers, if he reads this, won't like it. That doesn't matter. What does matter is he thinks about it the next time he gets extended playing time.

It's romantic to be the starter in waiting. It's quite another thing to be thrust into a situation as difficult as the one Rodgers faced Sunday. Reality bites. Rodgers didn't need to bite back.

Furthermore, first-year coach Mike McCarthy fared worse than either of his quarterbacks. His worst day coincided with his team's worst performance.

In time, both will be better for it. That offers no comfort today and it shouldn't. In the NFL, either you get better or you get fired. Fortunately for McCarthy and his Packers, they have the talent to choose their direction, which is more than many teams can say.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at [email protected].

He shook his head in disgust, raised his palms skyward and seemed to say, "What am I supposed to do with blocking like that?"

:shrug:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article zero. This confirms what you thought and helps me understand the situation a lot more. Definately not a leader ship quality. He was definately blaming them instead of motivating them.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was a mistake on Aaron's part but for a young guy I'm not going to crucify him as there will be a lot of other times he'll mess up and need to learn from. As long as people don't criticize him only because they don't want him to succeed

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article zero. This confirms what you thought and helps me understand the situation a lot more. Definately not a leader ship quality. He was definately blaming them instead of motivating them.
Yeah. A leader would be more like that guy called Brett Favre. I have no idea what it will be like when favre is gone. Rodgers has no right to blame anyone when he barely plays anyway. Im really gonna miss Favre when hes gone......whenever that may be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
By Chris Havel

Rodgers, who injured an ankle while running for his life, didn't do himself any favors by shuffling off and declining to speak to the media.

while Chris for the most part has a good grasp on what is going on, look at that quote..

Hurt his ankle, just how much information does Chris get? And by whom..T

his was posted a day after the game, so how was it HE was not aware of the broken foot..

sometimes this guys just confuses me...

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
By Chris Havel

while Chris for the most part has a good grasp on what is going on, look at that quote..

Hurt his ankle, just how much information does Chris get? And by whom..T

his was posted a day after the game, so how was it HE was not aware of the broken foot..

sometimes this guys just confuses me...

It was said to be an ankle injury in the begining. He wrote this an it was published rather quickly after the game was over. Should he have waited to find out for sure? Sure. But no one expected him to have a broken foot after he played nearly an entire 2 quarters on it.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
the article was posted Monday online?

I had posted the same article just an hour or two after the game was over on my site. The article read different though.

By Chris Havel
[email protected]

It isn’t the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

The Green Bay Packers’ season began with a Sept. 10 shutout loss at home, and for many it ended that way with a 35-0 loss to New England on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

With six games to play and ineptitude running rampant in the NFC North anything is possible, but given the Packers’ gut check-turned-reality check against the Patriots any post-season speculation is senseless.

New England showed the Packers what a true playoff contender looks like and it bore no resemblance to anything Green Bay has seen in the mirror lately.

A game that began as a match-up featuring future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks Tom Brady and Brett Favre ended with the former on the bench and the latter in the locker room. Brady was savoring a victory and Favre was nursing an injury, but even before that moment the game’s course had been charted.

While Brady chiseled a few more features into a bust that will grace Canton, Ohio, some day, Favre’s play was a reminder that his is merely waiting to be unveiled.

Brady was brilliant while throwing for four touchdowns in an MVP-like performance. He remains, in my opinion, the finest quarterback in the game today. He is better than Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning. He is better than Cincinnati’s Carson Palmer. He is better than Favre, and certainly better than Green Bay’s defense.

Meantime, Favre was bad while completing just 33 percent of his passes before banging his funny bone in a game that proved to be no laughing matter. Favre’s performance was distressing, though I suspect he is a long way from having thrown his final touchdown pass. He is too tough, too resilient and too stubborn to stop now.

More disturbing, perhaps, was backup Aaron Rodgers’ performance was worse before, during and after the game. Rodgers seemed inadequately prepared to step in and at least be serviceable against New England’s powerful defense. Then, when the Patriots began pounding him, his body language suggested he was a 37-year-old backup to a 37-year-old starter. He shook his head in disgust, raised his palms skyward and seemed to say, “What am I supposed to do with blocking like that?”

It was obvious before Rodgers’ first snap that the Packers’ young offensive line was no match for the Patriots’ Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork. He didn’t need to belabor the point by getting down on himself and the line so quickly.

Rodgers, who sustained what appeared to be an ankle injury while running for his life, didn’t do himself any favors by declining to speak with the media and limping away.

Sunday was his chance to lead the offense. Leading isn’t merely throwing touchdown passes and counting wins. It means dealing with disappointment and handling everything that goes with it, including facing the music even when the tune is awful.

Rodgers could have limped to the podium, put on his best face and said, “WE didn’t play very well today. WE will correct the problems. WE will be better for it.”

I suspect Rodgers, if he reads this, won’t like it. That doesn’t matter. What does matter is that he thinks about it the next time he gets extended playing time. It is romantic to be the starter-in-waiting. It is quite another thing to be thrust into a situation as difficult as the one Rodgers faced on Sunday. Reality bites. Rodgers didn’t need to bite back.

Furthermore, the Packers’ first-year coach fared worse than either of his quarterbacks. Mike McCarthy’s worst day coincided with his team’s worst performance.

In time, both will be better for it. That offers no comfort today and it shouldn’t. In the NFL, either you get better or you get fired. Fortunately for McCarthy and his Packers, they have the talent to choose their direction, which is more than some teams can say.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at [email protected]

This here quote is where I got my first knowledge of Rodgers acting like a turd momentarily.
More disturbing, perhaps, was backup Aaron Rodgers’ performance was worse before, during and after the game. Rodgers seemed inadequately prepared to step in and at least be serviceable against New England’s powerful defense. Then, when the Patriots began pounding him, his body language suggested he was a 37-year-old backup to a 37-year-old starter. He shook his head in disgust, raised his palms skyward and seemed to say, “What am I supposed to do with blocking like that?”

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
the article was posted Monday online?

I had posted the same article just an hour or two after the game was over on my site. The article read different though.

By Chris Havel
[email protected]

It isn’t the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

The Green Bay Packers’ season began with a Sept. 10 shutout loss at home, and for many it ended that way with a 35-0 loss to New England on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

With six games to play and ineptitude running rampant in the NFC North anything is possible, but given the Packers’ gut check-turned-reality check against the Patriots any post-season speculation is senseless.

New England showed the Packers what a true playoff contender looks like and it bore no resemblance to anything Green Bay has seen in the mirror lately.

A game that began as a match-up featuring future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks Tom Brady and Brett Favre ended with the former on the bench and the latter in the locker room. Brady was savoring a victory and Favre was nursing an injury, but even before that moment the game’s course had been charted.

While Brady chiseled a few more features into a bust that will grace Canton, Ohio, some day, Favre’s play was a reminder that his is merely waiting to be unveiled.

Brady was brilliant while throwing for four touchdowns in an MVP-like performance. He remains, in my opinion, the finest quarterback in the game today. He is better than Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning. He is better than Cincinnati’s Carson Palmer. He is better than Favre, and certainly better than Green Bay’s defense.

Meantime, Favre was bad while completing just 33 percent of his passes before banging his funny bone in a game that proved to be no laughing matter. Favre’s performance was distressing, though I suspect he is a long way from having thrown his final touchdown pass. He is too tough, too resilient and too stubborn to stop now.

It was obvious before Rodgers’ first snap that the Packers’ young offensive line was no match for the Patriots’ Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork. He didn’t need to belabor the point by getting down on himself and the line so quickly.

Rodgers, who sustained what appeared to be an ankle injury while running for his life, didn’t do himself any favors by declining to speak with the media and limping away.

Sunday was his chance to lead the offense. Leading isn’t merely throwing touchdown passes and counting wins. It means dealing with disappointment and handling everything that goes with it, including facing the music even when the tune is awful.

Rodgers could have limped to the podium, put on his best face and said, “WE didn’t play very well today. WE will correct the problems. WE will be better for it.”

I suspect Rodgers, if he reads this, won’t like it. That doesn’t matter. What does matter is that he thinks about it the next time he gets extended playing time. It is romantic to be the starter-in-waiting. It is quite another thing to be thrust into a situation as difficult as the one Rodgers faced on Sunday. Reality bites. Rodgers didn’t need to bite back.

Furthermore, the Packers’ first-year coach fared worse than either of his quarterbacks. Mike McCarthy’s worst day coincided with his team’s worst performance.

In time, both will be better for it. That offers no comfort today and it shouldn’t. In the NFL, either you get better or you get fired. Fortunately for McCarthy and his Packers, they have the talent to choose their direction, which is more than some teams can say.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at [email protected]

This here quote is where I got my first knowledge of Rodgers acting like a turd momentarily.

:thumbsup:

thanks for clearing it up...if he posted it on sunday already makes sense that he thought was an ankle.,