Rodgers solid spring...

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe in Rodgers!
There could be nothing more difficult than following in the footsteps of a legend and that is the path Rodgers must follow.
Packer fans need to give the man a chance, which he han't had yet.
In his few meager mop up jobs he did nothing more than hand the ball off.
In his most notable appearance against the Pats he was playing with a broken foot, yet he hung in there ala Brett Favre.

Be patient, after all, there will never again be another Brett Favre.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Be patient, after all, there will never again be another Brett Favre.

No there won't... enjoy it while you can...

You're never guaranteed about next year. People ask what you think of next season, you have to seize the opportunities when they're in front of you. - Brett Favre

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers is definately in a position to succeed by not being rushed. He was not ready out of college and I don't see many college QB's that are physically ready.

Eli Manning looked to me coming out of college like he needed to to get bigger and stronger. I don't know but he looked like a kid among men his rookie season.

I think Rodgers has a good shot now that he was afforded the time to get both his head and his body into the NFL game.

Our best hope is a Tony Romo type deal where he's been around awhile and was mentally and physically ready to compete when his number was called.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to making Rogers a really fine quarterback is to surround him with really outstanding players. If you're going to ask him to do what Favre did, which is make great players out of good ones, that isn't going to happen.

With all due respect to Brady and Payton, there is no other quarterback like Brett Favre. With equally due respect to Montanna, Elway and Young, they were no comparison to the greatness of Brett Favre. Favre has done wonderful work with average running backs and average receivers around him. To expect Rogers to do what Brett has done would not be fair.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to making Rogers a really fine quarterback is to surround him with really outstanding players. If you're going to ask him to do what Favre did, which is make great players out of good ones, that isn't going to happen.

Why not?

I'm not saying we should surround him with ****, but....why not surround him with 'good' players...since when is that bad.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what he was saying was Rodgers is not going to make "great" players out of "good" players like Favre has done in his prime.

The team needs to be solid and not require the QB to carry them is the the thinking here if I read this right.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think what he was saying was Rodgers is not going to make "great" players out of "good" players like Favre has done in his prime.

The team needs to be solid and not require the QB to carry them is the the thinking here if I read this right.

Right on... what I understood from the original quote as well :thumbsup:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Aaron Rodgers will be great especially since he was projected at top 10 (some said #1) still in his 2 years he hasn't showed us much, however he never had expierence. I think when Brett is gone we shoud give Rodgers his chance and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hm, the snippet says that he had a big shot attitude when he came in...

Makes me wonder if he's got some heat from teammates still.

I still can't shake the incident last year with the o-line, he ticked them off like 3 minutes after he got into the game (which I'll say again is pretty f'n impresive).

I wonder how much of that experience, where he got knocked down and no o-linemen/teammate came over to help him up, had a humbling impact on him.

It's good to see that the light is at least brighter now than it was last year. Certainly bodes well for the Pack.

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really have high hopes for rodgers. Its a shame a lot of people are throwing him under the bus already. Give the guy a chance. Im glad this thread was started.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How ANY player coming out of college can have a big head once he sees the guys he'll be competing with and againest, is beyond me. I would think it would be a humbling experience, and a bit of a scary one. If I were a new QB on a team, the first thing I would do is take the OL out for steak dinners. After all, those guys will decide whether you thrive or die out there. It's more than stupid to antagonize your body guards.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How ANY player coming out of college can have a big head once he sees the guys he'll be competing with and againest, is beyond me. I would think it would be a humbling experience, and a bit of a scary one. If I were a new QB on a team, the first thing I would do is take the OL out for steak dinners. After all, those guys will decide whether you thrive or die out there. It's more than stupid to antagonize your body guards.

People mistake Aaron's confidence for cockiness and it's not.
If you read about how in his first year...he scored his first touchdown
and ALL the Green Bay receivers congratulated him....

He's got lots of supporters and friends on the team and that BIG head description by that writer is his opinion. Other's see it as poise, and some see it as cockiness.

It's all a matter of perspective.

I base my opinion on the results.
He supports and helps Brett Favre and patiently waits his turn.
He never complains and does what the coaching staff asks.
He doesn't cause off field trouble like pac man jones.
He's shown marked improvement this year and has really
been solid this year.
He was pointed out to complain of the o-line breakdown during the Patriots game..yet continued to play w/a broken foot.

I think those results speak for themselves on this COCKY or POISED kid

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always been a Rodgers supporter and I think he could really make a could quarterback.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

People mistake Aaron's confidence for cockiness and it's not.
If you read about how in his first year...he scored his first touchdown
and ALL the Green Bay receivers congratulated him....

He's got lots of supporters and friends on the team and that BIG head description by that writer is his opinion. Other's see it as poise, and some see it as cockiness.

It's all a matter of perspective.

I base my opinion on the results.
He supports and helps Brett Favre and patiently waits his turn.
He never complains and does what the coaching staff asks.
He doesn't cause off field trouble like pac man jones.
He's shown marked improvement this year and has really
been solid this year.
He was pointed out to complain of the o-line breakdown during the Patriots game..yet continued to play w/a broken foot.

I think those results speak for themselves on this COCKY or POISED kid

Good points. Only things he needs to work on of those discussed is to continue to improve and to learn to no complain about the o-line. He's a young guy and I think that was just frustration and still not being fully matured that led to that mistake. Then again, he could become as good as Manning and no one will care if he blames his line ;).

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Rodgers....

I like the int that he is sure of himself.

I like that he has been humble enogh to not complain and wait for his time.

I like that the coaches have no complains abot him.

I like the point that he played with a broken foot, that mean he is tought.

I like him and I wish him the best in GB !!!!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone mentioned earlier that there will never be another Brett Favre...I couldn't agree more. I'd also add that there will probably never be another Bart Starr either.

Aaron Rodgers is going to have to be himself and that might be OK for the GB Packers. In today's sports world, all of these athletes are expected to be the next Michael Jordan or Jerry Rice...hell, can't they be themselves?

Rodgers may prove to be a capable QB who won't have the gunslinging talent Favre did, but he may manage the game much better and keep the team in the game while the defense dominates (a la Baltimore, Chicago, etc.).

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers may prove to be a capable QB who won't have the gunslinging talent Favre did, but he may manage the game much better and keep the team in the game while the defense dominates (a la Baltimore, Chicago, etc.).

This is not really a vote of confidence.
Just wondering..what do you guys really view as a "game manager"?

If you guys are likening Aaron Rodgers to Trent Dilfer or Rex Grossman and you think the team will win in SPITE of him..like those two QB were..then that's not a vote of confidence.

I guess "game manager" to some folks means he won't be an attacking quarterback and hand off the ball to the running back and throw once every blue moon.

That's not Aaron's style as a QB.
In college he was an "ATTACKING" QB. Jeff Tedford's system is an offensive assault. It's designed to put up big numbers.

Aaron's not content w/being Trend Dilfer. Neither is Mike McCarthy about having conservative QBs. McCarthy put up big numbers in New Orleans w/dumb horse Aaron Brooks as his QB. He's 1 for 1 w/QB's named Aaron..so he should be good w/this one too.

I think we should have more faith and realize you have a young gun slinger succesor behind Favre.

He may not be the improvising, gamble till I might hurt the team style as Brett..but he is definitely not conservative as a QB.

I think we should get that straightened out.

By definition, Peyton Manning is a "game managing" qb. Does he improvise? Not really. Does he manager his offense well? Yes...
Does he attack? Absolutely. In the end, can a "game managing" QB put up bigger numbers and produce an attacking offense more than a gunslinger? In the case of Peyton Manning..absolutely.

You can still be an attacking QB and be a game manager.

You've gotten used to a gunslinger/gambler and have forgotten that a "game managing" QB can attack and be explosive. Joe Montana was a game managing QB..but could also improvise. Same w/Steve Young.

You're getting a future field surgeon in Rodgers w/a strong arm who wants to relentlessly attack. People have likened him the Drew Brees but w/a stronger arm. Last time I checked..Brees wasn't a conservative QB.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You see Aaron Rodgers as being one type of quarterback, I see him as being another...

My point is that AR may not throw the ball up for grabs when GB falls behind games and the team will benefit from that.

Sorry if I don't see Aaron Rodgers as the next big thing at QB in the NFL...if he is, that's great news.

My post was about mentioning that the Packers are building a game-changing defense that will carry this team in the future. During the Favre era, it's pretty much been about the offense for the most part.

Oh, I guess you straightened me out though...since McCarthy is 1 for 1 with guys named Aaron at QB, then Rodgers will automatically make it 2 for 2. Thanks.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You see Aaron Rodgers as being one type of quarterback, I see him as being another...

My point is that AR may not throw the ball up for grabs when GB falls behind games and the team will benefit from that.

Sorry if I don't see Aaron Rodgers as the next big thing at QB in the NFL...if he is, that's great news.

My post was about mentioning that the Packers are building a game-changing defense that will carry this team in the future. During the Favre era, it's pretty much been about the offense for the most part.

Oh, I guess you straightened me out though...since McCarthy is 1 for 1 with guys named Aaron at QB, then Rodgers will automatically make it 2 for 2. Thanks.

All I'm saying is that he's MUCH CLOSER to Drew Brees than the Trent Dilfer.

And the McCarthy coaching Aaron's was just a joke.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right with the "MUCH CLOSER to Drew Brees than the Trent Dilfer" comment but I still think that remains to be seen. I'd much rather have him show me that instead of you telling it to me. Oh, and by the way, I know he hasn't had the chance to do that yet and I'm waiting just like every other Packer fan. Once again, I hope you're right but I'll reserve judgment on #12 until he gets out on the field and shows what he's got with substantial playing time.

P.S. I know you were kidding about coaching Aaron's as I was when I made my comment.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts