Rodgers should get play calling duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever since Matt Flynn's record breaking game against the Lions, I have been thinking this. It was told that Rodgers was given play calling duties, to keep his head in the game...Rodgers calling the plays had Flynn airing it out much more. Stafford and Megatron matched every TD, until it was a full blown shootout with our back-up against an a 5000yd passer, and Megatron...
When Things got serious, and not to be shown up. McCarthy took back play calling duties at half time. We pulled off a miracle win. Now Flynn, not Starr, Favre, or Rodgers, is the single game yards and TD record holder. Managed to beat the best WR in the history of the NFL on his best day too.

Point is, I think our field general knows better than anyone, on how to open this offense up... Wide open.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Ever since Matt Flynn's record breaking game against the Lions, I have been thinking this. It was told that Rodgers was given play calling duties, to keep his head in the game...Rodgers calling the plays had Flynn airing it out much more. Stafford and Megatron matched every TD, until it was a full blown shootout with our back-up against an a 5000yd passer, and Megatron...
When Things got serious, and not to be shown up. McCarthy took back play calling duties at half time. We pulled off a miracle win. Now Flynn, not Starr, Favre, or Rodgers, is the single game yards and TD record holder. Managed to beat the best WR in the history of the NFL on his best day too.

Point is, I think our field general knows better than anyone, on how to open this offense up... Wide open.
No. One is injury, what the heck is Rodgers supposed to do if injured? Gets a concussion, oh there goes the QB and play caller. Two is its not practical, its juggling around too much, and lets say he gets pissed off at Lacy for a fumble, he can't pull Lacy from the game, and then decide not to hand it off. Not that Rodgers would do that, but as example. He is a player, and we have moved past the era where the coach is on the field.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. But ARod audibles a lot, meaning he calls a lot of plays. MM has to focus more on total game management, the lack of which contributed to the Seattle loss. I'm concerned we didn't go outside for a ST coordinator. Something MM now has to spend more time on. But I'm not worried about offensive play calling. Even with this offense and ARod, a SB is out of reach w/o significant improvement from the D and STs.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not like he can change personnel on the field and is limited to who is in. I think he has pretty broad power when they are running the no huddle offense. If he substitutes from there, he has to give the defense time to also sub. It is when they don't sub, that he gets the 12 man call on the defense.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if Rodgers had character faults. Like holding unwarranted grudges. Then I wouldnt have offered the idea. But he is known for going back to a guy after a mistake. He only cuts guys out who are not on the same page that day. The guy is a 2 time league MVP. He is in the trenches. He knows first hand whats going on. Why report back to the coaches, what you are seeing, so they can translate, formulate a plan, and send in the call? When Rodgers probabally knows the answer before he even reports back to the coaches?

You want a hurry up offense? Let loose the field general. Let him earn his stars...

D

Deleted member 6794

:rolleyes: You´re really on fire over the last few days. It´s pretty simple to answer this one: NO WAY!!!

I agree. But ARod audibles a lot, meaning he calls a lot of plays. MM has to focus more on total game management, the lack of which contributed to the Seattle loss. I'm concerned we didn't go outside for a ST coordinator. Something MM now has to spend more time on. But I'm not worried about offensive play calling. Even with this offense and ARod, a SB is out of reach w/o significant improvement from the D and STs.

Rodgers doesn´t call any plays, McCarthy gives him the option of one pass and one run play on nearly all of the plays to which he can audible to at the LOS based on the defense´s lineup.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli, how old are you bud?

There is absolutely no way Rodgers has enough time to call out personnel groupings/substitutions go through a "mental" playbook and choose a play. Let him audible within the packages provided.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How old am I? Im on a roll? Can you please quit with the demeaning comments. Or I will show you how to take care of bullies...

I am serious. Rodgers has been in the system longer than his coaches, in most situations. 2 time league MVP, and a Superbowl MVP as well. The guy executes the plays so he knows better than anyone the details of what he is calling. No time wasted translating. No conservative desk jockey telling the race horse how to run...

You want an answer? Get on a rotation. Certain downs have certain players. Certain situations, you wait for a call from the coaches... But we run the hurry up. Let Rodgers hurry up until the guys need to rotate for breathers... Point is, if they wanted to come up with a plan to allow Rodgers to go for the throat. They could do that. And I think Rodgers would end this problem we have with being too conservative. Or putting games away.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How old am I? Im on a roll? Can you please quit with the demeaning comments. Or I will show you how to take care of bullies...

I am serious. Rodgers has been in the system longer than his coaches, in most situations. 2 time league MVP, and a Superbowl MVP as well. The guy executes the plays so he knows better than anyone the details of what he is calling. No time wasted translating. No conservative desk jockey telling the race horse how to run...

You want an answer? Get on a rotation. Certain downs have certain players. Certain situations, you wait for a call from the coaches... But we run the hurry up. Let Rodgers hurry up until the guys need to rotate for breathers... Point is, if they wanted to come up with a plan to allow Rodgers to go for the throat. They could do that. And I think Rodgers would end this problem we have with being too conservative. Or putting games away.
Let everyone do their jobs. Coaches coach, players play. Sometimes there are great field generals that see the field completely and you give them some latitude to change plays in situations, or give them options in a play call depending on the defense they see in front of them.

you don't give them command of the army. That's as bad as fighting a war from Washington when it's in the Jungles of Vietnam. Depending on the players, there needs to be a balance in everyone doing their jobs. It seems the Packers offense has some room for improvement, but by and large, they have been really very good at what they do. People have jobs to do, they need to do them, not worry about doing everyone else's. I don't care how good Rodgers is, he should not be the offensive coordinator, play caller, offensive manager, and quarterback. He should be the quarterback who's given options and given the green light in situations, dictated by the men above him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio said it much better than I have and could have....and in all seriousness Eli I meant nothing by the age comment. IMO some of the things you've stated made me wonder is all.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder who the last QB was to call most of his own plays? There is simply too much going on in the game today for QBs to be effective doing it for the entire game or even large portions of it. I'm sure they could do it for a short hurry up series or the 2 minute drill when defenses don't really have time to substitute but you can''t keep that up over the course of the game.

The key word in what I just said was effective. They could probably do it but they wouldn't be able to make use of the full offensive arsenal. Again, that's OK when you only have time to pass or are trying to run out the clock with runs (maybe throw in a quick high percentage pass to try to catch the defense off guard) but to be able to run the entire playbook would be expecting too much of any QB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With all the substitutions in today’s NFL it would be almost impossible to have a QB call plays ala Bart Starr. And the communication system between a member of the coaching staff and QB makes it easy for the coach to call plays while he makes the substitution decisions. Peyton Manning and the no huddle offense probably comes as close to the “old days” as anyone, but he can't control substitutions. IMO the more experienced and intelligent the QB, the more flexibility he should given to change the play at the LOS, but pre-game planning – matching plays to be called and formations – puts a limit on the QB’s ability to change the play at the LOS. My impression is Rodgers is given as much flexibility as any QB in the league in that regard, with the possible exception of Peyton, and I think that’s about as far as they can go. So no, I don't think it’s practical for Rodgers to be the play caller.

BTW, when a poster asks another’s age (perhaps questioning that poster’s maturity) perhaps the best response is not to post that you take care of bullies by ‘getting mean’. ;)

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rice, Brown, Carter, Lofton, Moss, Hutson, etc...
Rice palyed through TWO hall of fame QBs and into his 40's. Longevity and extremely lucky circumstances finding the west coast offense and a time in the NFL when defenses werent built to stop the pass game...

Moss is the only other WR who compared to Megatron. Physically they were just better than everybody else.

I laugh at you guys saying Don Hudson... Seriously You put those two side by side, in their prime. and you pick Hudson. I will pick Megatron... give me a freaking break.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever? Well if you go to Lambeau field and look up you will see some retired numbers. The answer starts there. Sounds like you need a history lesson.

Seriously? I need a history lesson? I think the reality is, you are stuck in the old days.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They went for the throat many times this season. One game doesn't make a trend.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the substitutions in today’s NFL it would be almost impossible to have a QB call plays ala Bart Starr. And the communication system between a member of the coaching staff and QB makes it easy for the coach to call plays while he makes the substitution decisions. Peyton Manning and the no huddle offense probably comes as close to the “old days” as anyone, but he can't control substitutions. IMO the more experienced and intelligent the QB, the more flexibility he should given to change the play at the LOS, but pre-game planning – matching plays to be called and formations – puts a limit on the QB’s ability to change the play at the LOS. My impression is Rodgers is given as much flexibility as any QB in the league in that regard, with the possible exception of Peyton, and I think that’s about as far as they can go. So no, I don't think it’s practical for Rodgers to be the play caller.

BTW, when a poster asks another’s age (perhaps questioning that poster’s maturity) perhaps the best response is not to post that you take care of bullies by ‘getting mean’. ;)
You think you can get you group together and black ball me with your demeaning comments? I can call it like it is if you want? You guys have no creativity. Stuck in the box. Band wagon thinkers that stick to the safe status quo. and change your answers AFTER the trail blazers do the real work. I know my answers arent safe. But safe is old and lame. Nothing will come of safe. New breaks the mold, and you guys dont know new until you read it from someone else...

Point being. If the coaches wanted to hand over play calling duties to their field general. They could fins a way. A language they could understand to complete the task. We would be new and in my opinion, it would make us faster, more plays and better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts