Rodgers sack problem

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Yes, and I stand by that ...

Because every time I've pointed out faults on Rodgers, You and alot of others keep blaming the o-line for not providing enough time and for playing poorly ...

If you want numbers, I would say that about (roughly) 50% of the sacks sustained so far this season can be blamed on Rodgers ... And not on the offensive line ...

*That* is why I'm arguing that Rodgers isn't as good a quarterback as his stats would indicate ...

- Notice I used "indicate" ... - Again ... - You are arguing semantics, which you often resort to, when you can't make a logic rebuttal without getting accusatory and derogative in your postings ...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Because every time I've pointed out faults on Rodgers, You and alot of others keep blaming the o-line for not providing enough time and for playing poorly ...

If you want numbers, I would say that about (roughly) 50% of the sacks sustained so far this season can be blamed on Rodgers ... And not on the offensive line ...

*That* is why I'm arguing that Rodgers isn't as good a quarterback as his stats would indicate ...

- Notice I used "indicate" ... - Again ... - You are arguing semantics, which you often resort to, when you can't make a logic rebuttal without getting accusatory and derogative in your postings ...

Ok lets think this out.
If Rodgers can honestly be blamed for 50% of the sacks..that is about 15 plays

So 15 plays and this team would be what? 7-1 6-2 5-3

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So you never said that Rodgers is most to blame for the sacks, yet you said it, and stand by that? Well, NOW it makes sense...

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O-line is TERRIBLE and is a total joke at this point. Rodgers is waiting for plays to develop, (which they hardly do since the coach wants to gain 10 + on each play.) The lack of a running game hurts a lot, look at when the Pack played the Vikings, they were afraid to try and pressure the QB b/c of AP. I can't stand to watch this team anymore, when they get a lead, Coach McCarthy acts like he is up big and tries to run the ball play after play and then realizes it won't work and is faced with a 3rd and long when even my grandma knew that they would be throwing and then he probably wonders why they did not convert. I have been a supporter of McCarthy and Thompson, but they are ruining a future star in Rodgers and something needs to be done. This team is NOT well coached, look at all the stupid penalties, the brake downs in pass protection and the poor play calling. Enough is enough, fix this B.S.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers is accountable for much of the sacks that he has been taking this season because he has been holding on to the ball for too long. As raptorman mentioned before, this was clearly evident last season as well. But why is that? Why isn't Rodgers learning to stop keeping the rock in his hands after starting 1.5 seasons? Listen to what is being said at 2:20 of this vid [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s"]YouTube - 2008 NFL DRAFT Packers Select BRIAN BROHM[/ame]

One of the main issues concerning Rodgers coming out of the draft was that he couldn't anticipate the route, he had to see it develop on the field and obviously that takes a lot of time in the pocket. However I also agree that after some experience as a starter this technique could be developed. With Rodgers it's certainly not a good thing to hear if this problem has been traced before. Will it change over the course of time? We shall see....

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Full article Here ...

This is something that should cause some concern ...

Either Rodgers just doesn't "get it" (which would be fair then actually ...), or he simply just don't want to see it ... (in which case he probably won't progress past his current stage and might very well go down in history as the greatest talent that never "made it" ...)

Asked about the sacks, this were Rodgers response:

"I'll have to look at the film," was Rodgers' terse response to the question of why the onslaught is never stemmed.

More responses from Rodgers from that same interview session:

"It's very frustrating," Rodgers said. "We should be able to move the ball on anybody. Give them credit. They made plays. We didn't make enough plays.

- It's not like there wasn't plenty of opportunities ...

"You expect to win a game like this. We didn't. We've got to get very critical of ourselves."

Maybe that is what was wrong ... - The entire Packers team seemed to have this down as a "sure win" even before the game ... - Whereas McCarthy actually viewed it as more "dangerous" ... Perhaps you players should have listened ...

"I hope we have the resolve and the leadership," Rodgers said. "We still have eight games left and a lot can happen. "

That last response isn't that of a "leader" ... In fact judging by Rodgers expression during that interview it seems more like the response of a guy who is in way over his head at the moment ...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
What do you know, another thread about how Rodgers sucks! No, you definitely don't persecute him!

First step in fixing a problem, is to acknowledge there is a problem ... - So far most on the Packers are playing the "blame game" ... - Along with numerous fans ... - Yet even though the coaches are clearly aware of those problems, and most likely are trying their utmost to get them addressed, it would seem that it is *also* something that the players needs to address (and that goes for all of them) ...

Again, - I didn't say Rodgers suck ... - Don't twist my words ... But I have to question what games you have been watching this season, because evidently ... - We are not watching the same games (that the Packers are playing ...) ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First step in fixing a problem, is to acknowledge there is a problem ... - So far most on the Packers are playing the "blame game" ... - Along with numerous fans ... - Yet even though the coaches are clearly aware of those problems, and most likely are trying their utmost to get them addressed, it would seem that it is *also* something that the players needs to address (and that goes for all of them) ...

Again, - I didn't say Rodgers suck ... - Don't twist my words ... But I have to question what games you have been watching this season, because evidently ... - We are not watching the same games (that the Packers are playing ...) ...

Many of these people know if they accept the premise that Rodgers might not be the second coming, then they'll be forced to accept the fact that Thompson might not be the chosen one, for having bet the farm on him. These two things sort of go hand in hand and I think it frightens the BeJesus outta many people.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You got guys all over this thread that would stomp a mudhole in your backside and their you sit and your 110 lb frame acting like badass over seas. you crack me up waffle boy:yu:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
You got guys all over this thread that would stomp a mudhole in your backside and their you sit and your 110 lb frame acting like badass over seas. you crack me up waffle boy:yu:

The (im)maturity shining through most of your posts is mind-boggling ... How old were you again ? ... - Or is it just the early signs of senility showing ?

Seriously though, when you start to be able to go through a debate in a coherent, lucid and somewhat courteous manner, then perhaps more people would respect you ... - But right now, every time you have to argue and are coming up short, - or if you have nothing further to add, you start to write in a condesending (not really doing a good job at that even ...) and derogative manner.

Doing so, you come across as a person who has far more serious issues to deal with than what just meets the eye ..., because it's a returning pattern of behaviour from you ...

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The (im)maturity shining through most of your posts is mind-boggling ... How old were you again ? ... - Or is it just the early signs of senility showing ?

Seriously though, when you start to be able to go through a debate in a coherent, lucid and somewhat courteous manner, then perhaps more people would respect you ... - But right now, every time you have to argue and are coming up short, - or if you have nothing further to add, you start to write in a condesending (not really doing a good job at that even ...) and derogative manner.

Doing so, you come across as a person who has far more serious issues to deal with than what just meets the eye ..., because it's a returning pattern of behaviour from you ...
LOL I felt like I just got my *** kicked by a pencil neck geek on the playground that is wearing a Bow tie and pocket protecter in his pocket. Those are some pretty big words for a football forum so lets not fight anymore. can I have a hug toughguy?:happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I felt like I just got my *** kicked by a pencil neck geek on the playground that is wearing a Bow tie and pocket protecter in his pocket. Those are some pretty big words for a football forum so lets not fight anymore. can I have a hug toughguy?:happy0005:
AND HERE HE IS! Skol Guy, we missed you! Some educated poster took your place where you were gone! He was ok, I have to tell you ;):jester:

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AND HERE HE IS! Skol Guy, we missed you! Some educated poster took your place where you were gone! He was ok, I have to tell you ;):jester:
Don't worry still the same guy who doesn't take crap from you and your buddy qientus so kick me off if youi want

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry still the same guy who doesn't take crap from you and your buddy qientus so kick me off if youi want
Yeah, you're back.

My "buddy" quentius? I don't think I have ever agreed with him, and him with me. Never is a bit too much, but you get the picture.

About the kicking part, I can't kick anybody.

And about the "you" part, when you find yourself in a passionate argument, you enter this troll mode, that everybody is against you... I'm not against you. I just made a point at the other thread, and you took it personal. At least that's my take on the whole deal...

Lighten up.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skol guy -- 666 posts in less than a month. Shoot, that's right up their with Rogers' numbers. How come you're not getting the props here like Aar.... oh, uh, nevermind.

Therran D

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look you guys, give the team some time. We're halfway through, and my fellow Cheeseheads act like it's the end of the world. Yes Bret-adict Fav-rold is gone, yes Bret-adict Fav-rold is playing with the enemy, and yes, we ARE going to struggle a bit. But we DO have a good team--tons of talent--and I'm sure this second half of the season we will ALL see how this year's Packers team will become.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, let's just let the season play out. Nothing's a guarantee in the NFL, just ask the 2008-09 Denver Broncos.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Look you guys, give the team some time. We're halfway through, and my fellow Cheeseheads act like it's the end of the world. Yes Bret-adict Fav-rold is gone, yes Bret-adict Fav-rold is playing with the enemy, and yes, we ARE going to struggle a bit. But we DO have a good team--tons of talent--and I'm sure this second half of the season we will ALL see how this year's Packers team will become.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, let's just let the season play out. Nothing's a guarantee in the NFL, just ask the 2008-09 Denver Broncos.
I like your optimism.

But I still think we're looking at a 6-10 football team.

(Dal: L SF: L Det: W Bal: L Chi: L Pitt: L Sea: W Ari: L)

hummyjohnson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my $.02

1) The O line sucks.
2) As a result, Rodgers is shook.

He has no confidence in his line being able to protect him, and he hears footsteps. And for reasons unexplained, in spite of this, he holds the ball.

He's getting what he deserves.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I misinterpreted the description of this thread...for a minute there I thought it was a commentary on his....reproductive fortitude, thought it might give us all some insight on his decision making during the games.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my $.02

1) The O line sucks.
2) As a result, Rodgers is shook.

He has no confidence in his line being able to protect him, and he hears footsteps. And for reasons unexplained, in spite of this, he holds the ball.

He's getting what he deserves.
He's getting what he deserves... You, too, hate the Packers!?

OP
OP
B

Bastian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok lets think this out.
If Rodgers can honestly be blamed for 50% of the sacks..that is about 15 plays

So 15 plays and this team would be what? 7-1 6-2 5-3

That is way over-simplifying. Sacks affect so much more of the game than the average fan realizes. For ex:

Pack has the ball at their own 40. 3rd and 9. If the ball is incomplete, they punt. Maybe they pin the other team back inside the 5. Maybe the other team gets it on the 20.

Scenario 2: Rodgers takes a nine yard sack. Now you're punting the ball from the 31. There's going to be a return. Maybe the other team gets it to their own 40, maybe to your 40, maybe all the way.

Rodgers doesn't manage the game well. And, his mistakes change the game so much. More than the average fan realizes. These sacks create opportunities for the opponent both on defense, offense and special teams. It's the subtle differences between winning and losing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That is way over-simplifying. Sacks affect so much more of the game than the average fan realizes. For ex:

Pack has the ball at their own 40. 3rd and 9. If the ball is incomplete, they punt. Maybe they pin the other team back inside the 5. Maybe the other team gets it on the 20.

Scenario 2: Rodgers takes a nine yard sack. Now you're punting the ball from the 31. There's going to be a return. Maybe the other team gets it to their own 40, maybe to your 40, maybe all the way.

Rodgers doesn't manage the game well. And, his mistakes change the game so much. More than the average fan realizes. These sacks create opportunities for the opponent both on defense, offense and special teams. It's the subtle differences between winning and losing.

Sometimes I got to learn or remember that sarcasm isn't felt online

Members online

Latest posts