Rodgers running too much?

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I have considered when folks insist the Packers window is not closing because Aaron is much younger than Brady & Manning (though fewer folks point to Manning now that age has apparently caught up to him) is how many plays he makes and has always made on the run.

Brady & Manning have always been traditional pocket passers who get the ball out quick. They have never relied on their escapability to make plays.

I do not know if Aaron is running too much this season. I do know that I have serious questions as to whether he will be as effective long-term as Brady & Manning because of how much he relies on his running to make plays.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers is running too much or looking to run too much. I think he has been getting too antsy in the pocket. He has happy feet even when the pocket is holding up. And perhaps as a result of that, he has not been as pinpoint accurate as we are used to seeing. Receivers have never had to be wide open in the past for him to be confident in getting the ball to them. And as we've talked about I also don't think the game plan has helped him out much. The "combination" routes someone mentioned in the link is the man-beater routes we've been talking about. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't use those more, particularly when Adams was out and Cobb was playing injured.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait till they win..

Everyone is an expert on why they lost to undefeated teams

Maybe Aaron didn't eat his Wheaties those days

D

Deleted member 6794

You continue to ignore that the offense has struggled vs. the Rams and at times vs. the Chargers as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The stat of the Packers offense having the most 3 and outs in the NFL transcends playing 2 undefeated teams in a row. That number represents the entire season.

Reaction score
What I see in AR is phenomenal footwork inside the pocket and the natural ability to extend plays with his feet. He is, and has been, a top tier running QB since he became a starter.
I also see a slight deteriorating combination of receiver route running/separation and pass blocking particular at the Guard position, which has Aaron taking his focus off his read progressions in an effort to stay alive.
A short term solution would be using an increased % of the rolling out option much like Cutler this week to extend time for receivers to get open in conjunction with TE sets. If the 5+ yard sideline run is open its a safe option without taking a beating, use it.
Outside the pocket does limit the type of throw you make because it's a balancing act of clearly understanding where the LOS is located to avoid penalties involving dumping the pass etc..
AR has historically exploited Defenses while mobile partly because he is a threat as a runner. He has burned Defenses that have underestimated his above average speed and decision making.
Overall I like his balance using the run vs passing. He does a more than adequate job of using the slide and the sidelines to move the chains with his feet as weapons while staying cognizant of avoiding injury.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You continue to ignore that the offense has struggled vs. the Rams and at times vs. the Chargers as well.

not ignoring it..

but now we are talking about rodgers running to much...lets examine his food intake maybe missing something

or how about his bathroom habits---that has to be it

D

Deleted member 6794

The stat of the Packers offense having the most 3 and outs in the NFL transcends playing 2 undefeated teams in a row. That number represents the entire season.

I get that some of you don't put any stock into stats but IMO there's no reason to make stuff up either. The Packers offense has gone three-and-out way too often this season but not the most times in the NFL.

What I see in AR is phenomenal footwork inside the pocket and the natural ability to extend plays with his feet. He is, and has been, a top tier running QB since he became a starter.

A short term solution would be using an increased % of the rolling out option much like Cutler this week to extend time for receivers to get open in conjunction with TE sets.

There's no doubt Rodgers is a threat running the football but he hasn't been patient in the pocket over the last few games, trying to escape nonexisting pressure at times instead of going through his progressions.

BTW I can't think of any reason to ask Rodgers to take anything out of Cutler's playbook.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't even have to look at the stats, because to me the only thing that matters is why Rodgers is running. It isn't because he chooses to, its because he is being forced to. Granted, there are the occasional play calls designed for AR to run, but guessing very few. There are also times where he knows he has a wide open lane to pick up a first down instead of risking a throw. But usually him carrying the ball is a result of two things, nobody is open or he is running for his life. Both of these scenarios seem to be happening with greater frequency this season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even have to look at the stats, because to me the only thing that matters is why Rodgers is running. It isn't because he chooses to, its because he is being forced to. Granted, there are the occasional play calls designed for AR to run, but guessing very few. There are also times where he knows he has a wide open lane to pick up a first down instead of risking a throw. But usually him carrying the ball is a result of two things, nobody is open or he is running for his life. Both of these scenarios seem to be happening with greater frequency this season.
And that is why imo him running isn't the reason for offense issues... Its the reasons why he is running

Like I said let's find out his bathroom routine.. That would have same impact

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that some of you don't put any stock into stats but IMO there's no reason to make stuff up either. The Packers offense has gone three-and-out way too often this season but not the most times in the NFL.

There's no doubt Rodgers is a threat running the football but he hasn't been patient in the pocket over the last few games, trying to escape nonexisting pressure at times instead of going through his progressions.

BTW I can't think of any reason to ask Rodgers to take anything out of Cutler's playbook.

28/32 in 3 and outs. I thought I read it was 32 out of 32 but 28 out of 32 is pretty awful and just about as bad.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also see a slight deteriorating combination of receiver route running/separation and pass blocking particular at the Guard position, which has Aaron taking his focus off his read progressions in an effort to stay alive.
A short term solution would be using an increased % of the rolling out option much like Cutler this week to extend time for receivers to get open in conjunction with TE sets. If the 5+ yard sideline run is open its a safe option without taking a beating, use it.
Outside the pocket does limit the type of throw you make because it's a balancing act of clearly understanding where the LOS is located to avoid penalties involving dumping the pass etc..
AR has historically exploited Defenses while mobile partly because he is a threat as a runner. He has burned Defenses that have underestimated his above average speed and decision making.
Overall I like his balance using the run vs passing. He does a more than adequate job of using the slide and the sidelines to move the chains with his feet as weapons while staying cognizant of avoiding injury.
I wish they would do more rollouts so he wouldn't feel like a sitting duck, especially since he is so accurate while on the move. He shouldn't have to be anxious when it's just a 4 man rush.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't even have to look at the stats, because to me the only thing that matters is why Rodgers is running. It isn't because he chooses to, its because he is being forced to.
He's not forced to every time IMO. Over the past few games sometimes he chooses not to throw the ball to the receiver open on a short route in favor of hoping someone breaks free down the field. Sometimes he inexplicably dances around when he's got good protection. And sometimes he chooses to take a sack after more than six seconds instead of throwing the ball away.

BTW, the only play that I know of designed to have Rodgers run is the QB sneak. On the designed roll-outs, the idea is to throw the ball and then run if no one is open.

D

Deleted member 6794

28/32 in 3 and outs. I thought I read it was 32 out of 32 but 28 out of 32 is pretty awful and just about as bad.

There's no denying that a rate of 27.9% of drives ending in three-and-outs is way too high. That's the highest percentage for a Packers offense since at least 1997 and only once during Rodgers career as a starter that number was even close to it. Oddly enough that was in 2010 (25.7%).

Reaction score

I can. The status quo ain't working.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most Packer fans believe we can compete with anyone and therefore the explanation that Denver and Carolina are unbeaten like we just got beat by better teams, isn't going to make most fans feel better about it. I don't think most would have said 2 weeks ago that Denver and Carolina are just better than us. We were also unbeaten heading into these games. Had we won, we'd be the unbeaten, not them.

More than that, these 2 games were the first real test of where we stand as contenders. Coming out of the bye, even at 6-0, I think it was a little uncertain how good we were. This was the measuring bar of where we're at right now, and it showed we have a lot longer ways to go than we had thought. Had we just lost 2 tough competitive games by 3 that were close throughout, I think most would feel better about where we're headed from here.

It's not that we lost on the road to Denver and Carolina. It's how we lost.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and neither of those were good games. Those were complete beatings that were closer on the scoreboard than they were on the field. The Pack was not even competitive in 6 of the 8 quarters. Losses are fine...they happen but beat downs are a really bad sign.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts