Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Reaction score
I really don't see how the Packers screwed Rodgers over with regard to talent. This isn't baseball. It's not like the Packers rolled out a $50 million payroll team and pocketed the extra money. With the salary cap (and hard floor) the Packers have basically spent all the money they had to spend. They just spent it on other parts of the team. You can wish they spent more on the offensive side but it certainly hasn't been a screw job.
I’ve considered that. One could argue that they drafted heavily on Defense due to their confidence that Rodgers could single handed carry a mediocre Offense into greatness.
Unfortunately they drafted relatively poorly on D before Gutey came along

Reaction score
at this point I'm ready for it to be done. If there's stuff I don't know about then there's stuff I don't know about. If he feels that slighted because of those aforementioned moves, then be gone already.
you and me both are ready.

I will say Gute needs to speak directly to Aaron and ask him for 5 minutes. Not to convince him to come back, but to let Rodgers know he was a young GM doing young GM things and that he hears Rodgers.. Say to him “We want the best for Aaron Rodgers and we don’t want to layer mistakes.. we recognize that personnel decisions are ******* players and their friends and families. Then tell Aaron we can’t change the past wrongs, but that we’ll do our damn best to do the right when he’s ready to leave”.
no begging. No pointing fingers. No making it a contest. Just bring a little peace to the table snd tell him when he’s ready we will help him go in any way we can.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point I'm ready for it to be done. If there's stuff I don't know about then there's stuff I don't know about. If he feels that slighted because of those aforementioned moves, then be gone already.
IIRC Jordy was willing to take a lot less to stay with the Packers. Maybe the team didn't want to insult him, and wanted him to get a good payday elsewhere. I don't know. But I don't see "Hey, you released that guy four years ago" as a good reason to hold out now. It must be connected back to Rodgers, like "Hey, if you discarded that guy like garbage, you'll do the same with me". Which brings back the Love pick into it, no matter what he says.

Anyway, if they work it out and he stays, cool. I don't see why we couldn't make another run this year. But if he's adamant and wants to leave, I'm cool with that too - don't like it, but I'm cool with it. We probably don't have that many years with him, and he's reached a point where he's so expensive we probably won't have a team that will win the Super Bowl anyway.

If he sits out the whole year, it's going to be a long year, because there will be no resolution/closure. Maybe they just don't want to let him go, and maybe they would rather trade him in March as a strategy. But it would be a long year.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another lean to all of this that is starting to come out is that the last thing Rodgers wants to do is win a Super Bowl in Green Bay and make the FO look good.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would correct that slightly to say I think he's thinking it's Adams who's going to be shown the door next. I mean, I'm just looking at the pattern here with the way that Gute as you say doesn't re-sign veteran WRs.
Not the same thing with Adams. The others were on the way down or in Kumerow's situation, they just did not see him as good enough. Gotta make those decisions and so far they have been correct imho. I liked Kumerow but other teams seem to feel the same about him. They wanted to part with Jordy and Cobb. It was not about the money. Could they have sat down with him and told him we are moving on? I guess, but somebody might have.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While I get AR's frustration with how the Packers have parted ways with Jordy, Cobb, Jones himself and few of his offensive lineman, its part of the business. I think the double whammy for Rodgers and for me, was the fact that TT and especially Gute seemed to do very little to replace some of those guys, i.e. the Wide Receivers. That would be double frustrating to see your friend leave and then not even have a guy half as good as him to replace him, especially when your success really depends on those guys. Rodgers frustrations with young receivers is well known, yet Gute especially kept feeding into that frustration. Then Rodgers sees a 2019 draft with what was being called one of the deepest ever in WR talent and Gute goes and trades up for a QB and ends up drafting ZERO WR's. So it wasn't as much about Love as it was about "here we go again, no help at WR." Then to go one step further Rodgers thinks "ahhhh...now its finally my turn to be shown the door soon."

Not judging him right or wrong to feel that way, but if it is how he is feeling, I get it.
Not even just the frustration with young receivers, it's a frustration with young receivers that have marginal talent.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Gute just needs to say he’s sorry to Rodgers and he’s learned there’s two perspectives to consider and he’s learned from it and he understands Aaron’s position and he might’ve consulted him in that. He’d be surprised what a simple apology does
Or having basic communication skills.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the same thing with Adams. The others were on the way down or in Kumerow's situation, they just did not see him as good enough. Gotta make those decisions and so far they have been correct imho. I liked Kumerow but other teams seem to feel the same about him. They wanted to part with Jordy and Cobb. It was not about the money. Could they have sat down with him and told him we are moving on? I guess, but somebody might have.

They SHOULD extend Adams, or at least make it a priority to get a deal done there assuming of course Rodgers stays. But that's easier said than done with our current cap space, and at the end of every season who you re-sign will mean letting others walk.

On Jordy's situation, yeah he was probably going to retire after 2018 anyway, and him sticking around that year probably would not have altered our year of garbage offense. But finding out that he was willing to take a big pay cut to stick around in Green Bay does kind of put a new look on things.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not even just the frustration with young receivers, it's a frustration with young receivers that have marginal talent.
Well he has been that way all of his career, even when he had probably one of the best WR groups in the NFL, which he has had most of his career and maybe that is part of why he feels it so much now. TT and Gute slowly let the WR group dwindle down to nothing but Adams and JAGS. Some of those lost WR's were close friends of Rodgers and more importantly, ones he developed a lot of chemistry on and off the field with. So yeah, I can see how it stung and see how frustrating it would be to think "here we go again, I am working with below average talent and meanwhile other QB's around the league aren't." Then he has an MVP year, despite the lack of much receiving talent and all he wants to say is "There you go, am I still not good enough for your long term plans?"

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well he has been that way all of his career, even when he had probably one of the best WR groups in the NFL, which he has had most of his career and maybe that is part of why he feels it so much now. TT and Gute slowly let the WR group dwindle down to nothing but Adams and JAGS. Some of those lost WR's were close friends of Rodgers and more importantly, ones he developed a lot of chemistry on and off the field with. So yeah, I can see how it stung and see how frustrating it would be to think "here we go again, I am working with below average talent and meanwhile other QB's around the league aren't."
And to see Gute never throw a legitimate resource at acquiring another quality wide out didn't help matters.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is blinded by his friendship with Nelson. Jordy Nelson gave up on the Packers in 2017 and was running out of steam. Even with a veteran minimum contract, he was not the kind of player that should have been on the roster. I would rather have had a young WR fighting to be better than a WR that had already hung up his cleats and was just being kept to make the QB happy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And to see Gute never throw a legitimate resource at acquiring another quality wide out didn't help matters.
That had to be very frustrating for Rodgers. As I pointed out in a previous post, the pinnacle had to be in the 2020 draft. So much talk about it being the richest WR draft ever, Rodgers is waiting to hear who is new WR is going to be and he hears that the Packers traded up in the first round to draft his replacement? :eek:

Also remember, the Packers let Jared Cook walk away too. Of course they did sign Mo Bennett and Jimmy G, but those ended up being pretty much duds.

All that said, the Packers were making what they thought were good business decisions and for the most part I think they were decent decisions, all but the letting the WR room dwindle down to Adams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That story above, is the definition of BS journalisming.....I mean seriously I listened to Adams and Bahk and both went on and even discussed at times their commitment to the team, the guys in the locker room and even Jordan if he is the one out there. This is like when someone quotes a verse in the bible but ignores the entire chapter surrounding it....disgusting.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That had to be very frustrating for Rodgers. As I pointed out in a previous post, the pinnacle had to be in the 2020 draft. So much talk about it being the richest WR draft ever, Rodgers is waiting to hear who is new WR is going to be and he hears that the Packers traded up in the first round to draft his replacement? :eek:

Also remember, the Packers let Jared Cook walk away too. Of course they did sign Mo Bennett and Jimmy G, but those ended up being pretty much duds.

All that said, the Packers were making what they thought were good business decisions and for the most part I think they were decent decisions, all but the letting the WR room dwindle down to Adams.

Oh, you mean the other Jimmy G.;)

Like you said, the decisions they made to let certain players walk away were good business decisions unfortunately they didn't replace those players to keep the coffers full. They were hit with a double whammy when some of the players they did choose did not pan out. So they chose not to replace Nelson, Cobb, and Jones (with high draft picks) and let the WR room become thin. That may not have been so bad if the players they did choose had panned out and made our defense better but when those picks didn't pan out we now had more than one weak spot to cover up. And just because I don't think I said it enough here's one more...pan out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That story above, is the definition of BS journalisming.....I mean seriously I listened to Adams and Bahk and both went on and even discussed at times their commitment to the team, the guys in the locker room and even Jordan if he is the one out there. This is like when someone quotes a verse in the bible but ignores the entire chapter surrounding it....disgusting.
The NYPost has never approached real journalism. I really hope nobody reads that publication and thinks there’s anything truthful in it.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that's like ... Hmmm don't know what to make of it. I mean obviously yes he probably didn't like losing his most trusted compadre in Jordy, and certainly he wasn't happy about Cobb leaving. But it would have made no sense for him to wait two years to air grievances over those.

I wonder if perhaps someone told him Adams was going to be walking once his current contract ends, or perhaps Rodgers assumed it would be the case and therefore decided to take to this? I mean in reading into what James Jones is saying that's the only conclusion I can think of.
It would be nice if Rodgers would come out and say that himself instead of his friends saying what they Think.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NYPost has never approached real journalism. I really hope nobody reads that publication and thinks there’s anything truthful in it.
Lol what was wrong with it? I read the entire article and didn't come away with the feeling of anything bad or good or even any agenda. Tell you the truth it just seemed kind of ho hum.

By the way I don't buy into any New York based publications in general, but I'd take articles like that over anything on Pro Football Talk or Bleacher Report any day of the week.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol what was wrong with it? I read the entire article and didn't come away with the feeling of anything bad or good or even any agenda. Tell you the truth it just seemed kind of ho hum.

By the way I don't buy into any New York based publications in general, but I'd take articles like that over anything on Pro Football Talk or Bleacher Report any day of the week.
They ignored all the discussions both players stated about supporting Love as well...both the headline and the title make it seem Adams and Bahk are now enemies of the organization and staff.

Reaction score
Or having basic communication skills.
I know. I’m like most, I just want to move on and rebuild. I have confidence that the current group can be successful, yes even without Rodgers. I wish him well, I’ve made the mistake at staying at an employer too long and this feels like that.
I think given the extra monies and several extra high end draft picks we will be fine

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like you said, the decisions they made to let certain players walk away were good business decisions unfortunately they didn't replace those players to keep the coffers full. They were hit with a double whammy when some of the players they did choose did not pan out. So they chose not to replace Nelson, Cobb, and Jones (with high draft picks) and let the WR room become thin. That may not have been so bad if the players they did choose had panned out and made our defense better but when those picks didn't pan out we now had more than one weak spot to cover up. And just because I don't think I said it enough here's one more...pan out.
Exactly the correct words - pan out. Any draft for any sport is a crap shoot. There are very few "can't misses". Jordy Nelson was , by all accounts, a class guy on and off the field. Does that mean the Packers should have kept him even though he blew his knee out and was a shadow of himself just because he was Rodgers bud? That's bad business. I have said it once but I will say it again. Rodgers is a great QB. That being the case, shouldn't he be able to turn an average WR into a very good WR? Where is his responsibility in this whole fiasco? This isn't the 1960's when players stayed with the same team for their whole career. Believe me, I wish those days were still here. As usual money and greed made a mess of it. Just make a decision Rodgers. Why do feel the need for revenge. You have been paid a king's ransom. You have performed admirably. Your personality has ruined much of your vast accomplishments. It's just a damn shame.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I clicked on this thread but accidentally started at the beginning. I got halfway through the page before I realized the posts were from April.

Nothing has really changed since then. Rodgers wants out. Packers want him to stay. But here we are 96 pages later.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron who?

From the looks of things this young kid Jordan Love seems pretty fired up and eager to play.

What's more, he seems thrilled and happy to be a Green Bay Packer.

I think we Green Bay Packer fans need to cease being mired in the past. AR12 is as good as gone. He doesn't want to be a Green Bay Packer anymore.

Load up on some draft picks and let's move on.

Reaction score

Um. How about “C’mon J’mon” he was Moore than enough.. that kid was an absolute top #200-#500 type stud! We watched him catch at least 1 TD pass (ok he bobbled it but it was pretty nice!) Plus we’ve had Jeff “the decisive and divisive” and Abracadadabra (did he disappear or what!) and Shepherd.. I know he’s been kinda Sheepish (but give him 3 more seasons)EQ alone could balance the scales. We don’t need day 2 picks when we’ve got that kind of pure special talents :coffee: Waiter! More Sugar please!

Last edited:

Members online