Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You obviously feel more strongly about it than I do. I understand your points. Personally.. I let him sit. It’s already gone on long enough that I’m mentally prepared to watch the Packers without him. We will have to do that eventually anyway. I don’t Have a lot of faith in a lot of extra draft picks in any way compensating for what he did for the Packers on the field. So … you are free to disagree and I respect that, but I’m fine with taking the hard line.

I understand the hardline and from a strictly contract and moral business side, I would agree with you. Hold up the contract that he signed and say "this is it, play or sit". I just prefer that in the case of a huge investment and asset like Rodgers, you get as much as you can, while you can. Now if all they could get was a 3rd rounder, you bet I am sending him to retirement. 2-5 potential franchise changing drafts picks or players instead of nothing but continued drama, I'm using that as my new business decision mark and maybe using a variation of it on justifying trading Adams in the very near future.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers never plays for GB again, and we don't trade him - that isn't worth the point sent IMO and is crippling unless lightning does in fact strike three times and we have HOFer #3 at QB in Love.

Reaction score
No change … I’ve already come to terms with him being gone.
in a way I have also. It’s a sad way to end things, but I’m actually excited to see how MLF can operate using his choice of former Day 1 QB draft picks battling it out. As Tyni said, we don’t know that Bortles or Love won’t flourish in this Offense. Especially if we trade for draft picks and draft a couple day 1 and day 2 weapons next season to spark this Offense.

GB will do everything they can to maximize his trade value. The avenue we go if Rodgers retires due to not wanting to play for us is largely out of our control. What we can control is landing him on a team he thinks is promising and not out of his comfort zone. To me that might involve going with the 2nd or 3rd best offer sheet so to speak.

I guess what I’m saying is we can’t be too greedy or this could blow up and have zero draft capital.
I’m elated if GB gets 2 day 1 selections a day 2 selection and a medium tier veteran (DL, LB, OT or WR)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No change … I’ve already come to terms with him being gone.

But if we don't trade him, he won't be gone. ;) I think you realize that the noise of this might get louder if he is forced to sit/retire.

I too have also come to terms with it. However, I look at it this way, I can put my old Car in a salvage yard and let it rust and disintegrate. Or I can take that car and sell it to a collector and get lots of new shiny cars with the money I get from the sale. :D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
why do we have to have an ego? lol

I am joking but sometimes ego gets in the way

An ego can keep you from getting pushed around, but sometimes that ego creates a situation that we are the only ones pushing and to your own detriment at that. As Kenny Rodgers once put it:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run.

Reaction score
An ego can keep you from getting pushed around, but sometimes that ego creates a situation that we are the only ones pushing and to your own detriment at that. As Kenny Rodgers once put it:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run.
Spoken like a true Pokerbrat

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of Country music but I know that song

I know coward of the county too & Durham town & I live near Durham City ...only problem is in the song he sang about the Tyne & that is Newcastle's river. Durham's river is the Wear. Sorry for going off topic.

#12 is good. Now front office & #12 need to come to some sort of compromise.

in the words of the Clash ….Should I stay or should I go..if I stay there will be trouble if I go it will be double.

flip a coin.

heck first snap on first game #12 could be hurt & he's out for season...NOT wishing any harm on ANY player but we all know the risks taken by the players

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if we don't trade him, he won't be gone. ;) I think you realize that the noise of this might get louder if he is forced to sit/retire.

I too have also come to terms with it. However, I look at it this way, I can put my old Car in a salvage yard and let it rust and disintegrate. Or I can take that car and sell it to a collector and get lots of new shiny cars with the money I get from the sale. :D
The noise doesn’t bother me nearly as much as letting him get his way lol.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be more upset at Gute to allow this to happen (let Rodgers retire), then if he just caves and trades him. I know some are just fine with saying "Fine, be that way and go ahead and retire." Not only does doing that hurt the team in all of that lost upfront investment, but it hurts the team not getting the compensation that a trade would bring. I also think the black mark it will leave on the organization in the eyes of players, fans and the media are not worth forcing one of the top NFL players of all times, to bow out of the game years ahead of when he would have had to.

The context I meant was in response to Switset saying he figured the Packers should effectively just let him holdout, which I was saying was worse than retirement. Yes, we definitely are better off trading him if he won't play here, which is why I've said the only two options on the table are he either plays here or is traded.

But if say you were faced with only two choices

1. Letting him holdout

2. He retires

I was saying the lesser of the two evils would be him retiring because you'd get your cap space back, and no other team like a division rival can get him and make their SB dreams come true. A holdout on the other hand would keep your money tied up and completely crash his trade value.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting him sit is petty. Rather than hold a grudge, get something in return for him so that we as fans can watch a competitive team for the next 15 years.

Beyond that, there is just no scenario in any business world in which you go paying millions of dollars for nothing. Any CEO of any major corporation would get booted out immediately by their shareholders.

Unfortunately shareholders here have no such power for that scenario.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers holds out is there anything the Packers can do?

I guess sacking him wouldn't happen as he could then sign for any other team 7 Packers would get nothing & may still have his cap space to cover?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Been saying that since the draft. The longer the Packers wait, the less they get in a trade. I understand them wanting to see if Rodgers will flinch, but even if he does, to what end? Rodgers wants changes, what those changes are could be as minor as a new contract, the firing of Gute, trading of Love or he simply has decided that he won't ever play for the Packers again. Sounds like the Packers have tried to make changes, maybe Aaron made some concessions too? If it gets as messy as Aaron not showing for mandatory practices and fines are levied, can this really ever be put behind both sides enough, for both of them to be happy long term?

Why do we think the return for an MVP QB is going to diminish? I just can’t understand that.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
& if no team wants him what can packers do?

& I know this might be basic to most of you but I'm from England & don't know all of the nuances of the salary cap etc...

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I am wrong but I can’t see him showing up for camp next week. He already gave up $500K so another $100K penalty most likely is not much of a deterrent.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your preference only hurts the Packers. Why wouldn't the Packers want a trade in 2021 that helps the team? Hurting the team in 2021 to stick it to Rodgers is what Mark Wahlberg does in a movie about some run down Boston kid; not what a well run organization does.

The majority of what the Pack will get in trade is draft picks which won't be used until the 2022 draft anyway. And I don't think Rodgers will sit out for a year.

The Packers should not roll over. He will come back. He'll be butthurt over it but he has been for the last 5 years anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
heck first snap on first game #12 could be hurt & he's out for season...NOT wishing any harm on ANY player but we all know the risks taken by the players

Be careful what you wish for. He could do THAT "unintentionally" and get paid for the whole season, including not having to reimburse and bonuses or guarantees he might forfeit for not showing up.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. He could do THAT "unintentionally" and get paid for the whole season, including not having to reimburse and bonuses or guarantees he might forfeit for not showing up.

This is among the dumbest accusations I’ve seen. The heck is wrong with this guy?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But if say you were faced with only two choices

1. Letting him holdout

2. He retires

I was saying the lesser of the two evils would be him retiring because you'd get your cap space back, and no other team like a division rival can get him and make their SB dreams come true. A holdout on the other hand would keep your money tied up and completely crash his trade value.

I think both pretty much have the same effect.
  • Packers still retain his rights
  • Packers don't pay him a salary
  • Some prepaid money could be gone after by the Packers
  • Dead cap is dead cap, you can't trade, sit or retire that away. Only difference is they might be able to break it up over the 3 remaining years if he sits.
Both retirement and sitting are not options that are under the Packers control. They will indirectly effect either decision, but the choice to do either is 100% up to Rodgers.

& if no team wants him what can packers do?

That isn't a concern. There will be teams who want him, just how much are they willing to pay?

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not wishing for anything just asking the question. I will be honest I don't fully understand all of the nuances of salary cap & what happens with players who are injured from a salary cap view point.

Sorry I know this is basic but I wasn't brought up in USA.

I'm British, live in England,

region North East

County Durham

Now fans of Newcastle United Football club are Geordies (pronounced Jordi (as in nelson)) & fans of Sunderland are Mackem. On that basis I'm a Geordie BUT as I live in County Durham I'm also known as a Pit Yacker.

ok

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is among the dumbest accusations I’ve seen. The heck is wrong with this guy?
Not dumb at all … it is a very common negotiating tactic that several players have used in the past. The only one dumb is you for reducing your disagreement to a personal attack.

Staff online

Latest posts