Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not capitulation in the least especially if they traded him to a team he didn't want to play for like Cincinnati, NYJs, or Washington. Well probably would never be able to get the Bengals to bite given how cheap they are. But even so, point still stands that trade does not equal capitulation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At the slot for sure is the hope and the expectation of many...but he is in no way the answer to attempting to fill the role of an Adams departure, no matter what year that occurs. Two very differently WRs.
Most definitely.

While I would really miss Davante, just like I will miss Aaron, I will gladly take draft assets over keeping either around if they don't want to be in Green Bay. Not to mention the fact that it is going to be REALLY expensive to keep Davante around past this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not capitulation in the least especially if they traded him to a team he didn't want to play for like Cincinnati, NYJs, or Washington. Well probably would never be able to get the Bengals to bite given how cheap they are. But even so, point still stands that trade does not equal capitulation.
I think you are talking about Rodgers. While he technically can't dictate where he is traded to, after what we now know, no team in their right mind is going to throw a bevy of picks the Packers way if AR doesn't want to play for that team either. It will have to be to a place Aaron wants to go and to be honest, that is how it should be, since that will also make that team willing to give more for him. Both Aaron and his new team will no doubt enter into a new contract as well.

So no, the Packers won't be trading him to Timbuktu.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's negotiating so he doesn't want to say publicly (though if he truly just wants out, i dont know what there is to negotiate and keep under wraps on his end), but by not showing up to practices he just sounds full of **** when he says "love my team, love my coaches, love GB, love the fans". Must not want to win here too badly if you're not showing up for practice. So why not just come right out and make it public and say "I can't/won't play for this team anymore with the current management. However management refuses to trade me, so I will sit out the mandatory practices while I weigh my options."

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was doing some light research on the Green Bay Packers ownership structure and came upon a 2011 New Yorker article that contained this quote:

"It was Thompson who decided to jettison legendary quarterback Brett Favre in 2008 for the unproven but younger and considerably lower maintenance Aaron Rodgers. Today, Favre is officially (we hope) retired and Rodgers stands at the pinnacle of his sport."

What a difference 10 years makes. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks. Either he is all in or out. I don't want a lame duck QB and possibly a lame duck top 5 WR. The amount of BS that will follow that setup all season long will just serve as a major distraction. Also, what if Rodgers suffers a major injury? Either rip the band aid now and trade him or put the wound on ice and let him sit, if that is what he chooses to do. While I realize sitting him will probably bring some distractions in itself, I would prefer the major savings of not paying him his salary, starting the AAR (After Aaron Rodgers) process sooner than later and the most important, not letting him push the Packers into doing what he wants.
For me it is about Love, I think he will be better off sitting another year. I've got nothing against ARod. I would love to see him come back and play QB this year. And if we win it...maybe 2. He does not have to be rah rah, my blood is green and yellow. Just don't care about BS. Not important to me and I really don't read it...except here where I skim.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For me it is about Love, I think he will be better off sitting another year. I've got nothing against ARod. I would love to see him come back and play QB this year. And if we win it...maybe 2. He does not have to be rah rah, my blood is green and yellow. Just don't care about BS. Not important to me and I really don't read it...except here where I skim.
Well, if it's strictly about Love, than you let Bortles start and bring Love in when you see fit. Let's face it, 2021 without Rodgers will be a tough year, so it won't matter who the new QB is. But MLF should use the opportunity to develope Love.

The other problem MLF faces is when to scrap the current playbook that is run by AR. That is a huge decision, but at some point he has to say "This offense belongs to Blake/Jordan, now let's structure the Corp plays around their strengths." Which is another reason we probably saw Boyle as our #2 last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know he's negotiating so he doesn't want to say publicly (though if he truly just wants out, i dont know what there is to negotiate and keep under wraps on his end), but by not showing up to practices he just sounds full of **** when he says "love my team, love my coaches, love GB, love the fans". Must not want to win here too badly if you're not showing up for practice. So why not just come right out and make it public and say "I can't/won't play for this team anymore with the current management. However management refuses to trade me, so I will sit out the mandatory practices while I weigh my options."
I'm guessing he already told the powers to be that he is done in Green Bay and they are just hoping he changes his mind. I really doubt anything but a change of his mind, brings him back to Green Bay.

Reaction score
I'm guessing he already told the powers to be that he is done in Green Bay and they are just hoping he changes his mind. I really doubt anything but a change of his mind, brings him back to Green Bay.
I think your idea of forcing him to take a year off if he doesn’t show may be a reasonable Avenue.
It’s not the worst case scenario, yet. He doesn’t get injured not playing. He’s still reigning MVP and still healthy. We balance the books this season and start looking at where to send Davante.

Reaction score
I think you are talking about Rodgers. While he technically can't dictate where he is traded to, after what we now know, no team in their right mind is going to throw a bevy of picks the Packers way if AR doesn't want to play for that team either. It will have to be to a place Aaron wants to go and to be honest, that is how it should be, since that will also make that team willing to give more for him. Both Aaron and his new team will no doubt enter into a new contract as well.

So no, the Packers won't be trading him to Timbuktu.
Yeah. We don’t need to turn this into a peeing match. I’d work with him and keep him reasonably happy. It’s the right thing to do even if he doesn’t reciprocate

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Jones spoke on colon cowherd. He has spoken to rodgers and wont say everything he had this to say

Its really fix able and rodgers is willing to go and sit down... per Jones he thinks he will be there for training camp.

Sounds like it isnt any draft, its how they let people go.

Jj made a comment jordy wanted a pay cut and they said no.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that may be fair, him showing up before this thing gets resolved could be a distraction too. Idk, I can only speak for myself but I'd probably prefer the players just stick to doing what they do, and if or when Rodgers returns then business as usual.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I get AR's frustration with how the Packers have parted ways with Jordy, Cobb, Jones himself and few of his offensive lineman, its part of the business. I think the double whammy for Rodgers and for me, was the fact that TT and especially Gute seemed to do very little to replace some of those guys, i.e. the Wide Receivers. That would be double frustrating to see your friend leave and then not even have a guy half as good as him to replace him, especially when your success really depends on those guys. Rodgers frustrations with young receivers is well known, yet Gute especially kept feeding into that frustration. Then Rodgers sees a 2019 draft with what was being called one of the deepest ever in WR talent and Gute goes and trades up for a QB and ends up drafting ZERO WR's. So it wasn't as much about Love as it was about "here we go again, no help at WR." Then to go one step further Rodgers thinks "ahhhh...now its finally my turn to be shown the door soon."

Not judging him right or wrong to feel that way, but if it is how he is feeling, I get it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jones spoke on colon cowherd. He has spoken to rodgers and wont say everything he had this to say

Its really fix able and rodgers is willing to go and sit down... per Jones he thinks he will be there for training camp.

Yeah that's like ... Hmmm don't know what to make of it. I mean obviously yes he probably didn't like losing his most trusted compadre in Jordy, and certainly he wasn't happy about Cobb leaving. But it would have made no sense for him to wait two years to air grievances over those.

I wonder if perhaps someone told him Adams was going to be walking once his current contract ends, or perhaps Rodgers assumed it would be the case and therefore decided to take to this? I mean in reading into what James Jones is saying that's the only conclusion I can think of.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think your idea of forcing him to take a year off if he doesn’t show may be a reasonable Avenue.
It’s not the worst case scenario, yet. He doesn’t get injured not playing. He’s still reigning MVP and still healthy. We balance the books this season and start looking at where to send Davante.
Well they won't be able to "force him", since he is under contract. So if he shows up, they have 3 choices: put on 53 man roster, cut him or trade him.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get AR's frustration with how the Packers have parted ways with Jordy, Cobb, Jones himself and few of his offensive lineman, its part of the business. I think the double whammy for Rodgers and for me, was the fact that TT and especially Gute seemed to do very little to replace some of those guys, i.e. the Wide Receivers. That would be double frustrating to see your friend leave and then not even have a guy half as good as him to replace him, especially when your success really depends on those guys. Rodgers frustrations with young receivers is well known, yet Gute especially kept feeding into that frustration. Then Rodgers sees a 2019 draft with what was being called one of the deepest ever in WR talent and Gute goes and trades up for a QB and ends up drafting ZERO WR's. So it wasn't as much about Love as it was about "here we go again, no help at WR." Then to go one step further Rodgers thinks "ahhhh...now its finally my turn to be shown the door soon."

Not judging him right or wrong to feel that way, but if it is how he is feeling, I get it.

I would correct that slightly to say I think he's thinking it's Adams who's going to be shown the door next. I mean, I'm just looking at the pattern here with the way that Gute as you say doesn't re-sign veteran WRs. Perhaps he figures now after the Packers went ahead and paid Aaron Jones his money and several others that the current cap won't permit them to pay Davante. So he's like nope, I won't have this Gute.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get AR's frustration with how the Packers have parted ways with Jordy, Cobb, Jones himself and few of his offensive lineman, its part of the business. I think the double whammy for Rodgers and for me, was the fact that TT and especially Gute seemed to do very little to replace some of those guys, i.e. the Wide Receivers.
Yeah, Rodgers doesn't get to choose the players. But being a quarterback of his stature, he should have some input - Brady does (now). It's one thing to release those guys when they didn't have to - but then not to replace them is another slap.

Rodgers vouched for a lot of players, and the management let them go. If I noticed it, I'm sure he did. And if I thought it was a borderline slight, I'm sure he took great offense to it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Rodgers doesn't get to choose the players. But being a quarterback of his stature, he should have some input - Brady does (now). It's one thing to release those guys when they didn't have to - but then not to replace them is another slap.

Rodgers vouched for a lot of players, and the management let them go. If I noticed it, I'm sure he did. And if I thought it was a borderline slight, I'm sure he took great offense to it.
He's also smart enough to know, that despite all the talent he had to throw to all those years, it takes more than yards and TD's to win big games. When everyone of those guys was let go, it was time. Jordy wasn't worth 10 million anymore, Cobb wasn't either. Jones came back but he was almost done too. same for the offensive linemen. anybody think keeping any of those guys at those prices was the right move?

They didn't replace them because they were trying to get as much out of them as they could and get the rest of the pieces. Some bad luck and and some poor choices caught up to us. Man, he sure seemed happy with Amos, Smith and Smith that first game against Da Bears when the offense sucked and the defense played a big role in winning and he said "we got a defense" that smile was genuine. He knows the deal.

at this point I'm ready for it to be done. If there's stuff I don't know about then there's stuff I don't know about. If he feels that slighted because of those aforementioned moves, then be gone already.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't see how the Packers screwed Rodgers over with regard to talent. This isn't baseball. It's not like the Packers rolled out a $50 million payroll team and pocketed the extra money. With the salary cap (and hard floor) the Packers have basically spent all the money they had to spend. They just spent it on other parts of the team. You can wish they spent more on the offensive side but it certainly hasn't been a screw job.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't see how the Packers screwed Rodgers over with regard to talent. This isn't baseball. It's not like the Packers rolled out a $50 million payroll team and pocketed the extra money. With the salary cap (and hard floor) the Packers have basically spent all the money they had to spend. They just spent it on other parts of the team. You can wish they spent more on the offensive side but it certainly hasn't been a screw job.
I've been wishing for 20 years that they spend more on the defensive side. That seemed to go by the wayside once Thompson took the reigns (I actually enjoyed TT overall).

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.. I'll admit that maybe the possibility is out there that Rodgers is being the bad cop to cover for almost all of the WR corp not being under contract for 2022. Bad enough that his future is unknown, but if he is back in 2022, who wants to go to work with a completely new WR corp. Plus, sure would hold a lot more weight with management if he sits out rather than Adams.

And, if it makes him feel better, if Aaron wants a particular guy to take up a WR or TE spot, then hey.. seems like a small sacrifice.

Because we are running out of guys, thinking that his true mortal enemy is Russ Ball.

Reaction score

That fits what I’ve seen him say. Actually fits how they’ve made me feel also snd im not Jordys friend. In hindsight, GB easily gets 2 more productive years out of Jordy at no more than 3.5mil annual and he retires a Packer. They sent Jordy to the wolves and said thank you but no thank you and the guy was instrumental in our success and we know he would’ve topped his Raiders #’s with Rodgers. That burned me too at the time. so I can totally see Aaron’s point on that. It was bordering on.. no I’ll just agree it was disrespectful and kinda cold from what Jordy said. I don’t think he had an axe to grind, pretty humble guy there Jordy.

It’s just my opinion, but GB never did find anywhere in the neighborhood of Jordys replacement and I thought that was a costly decision loss back then.. and now we know it was an incredibly costly move.
Terrible decision there imo and he deserved better. But life goes on.

Gute just needs to say he’s sorry to Rodgers and he’s learned there’s two perspectives to consider and he’s learned from it and he understands Aaron’s position and he might’ve consulted him in that. He’d be surprised what a simple apology does

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well.. I'll admit that maybe the possibility is out there that Rodgers is being the bad cop to cover for almost all of the WR corp not being under contract for 2022. Bad enough that his future is unknown, but if he is back in 2022, who wants to go to work with a completely new WR corp.

And, if it makes him feel better, if Aaron wants a particular guy to take up a WR or TE spot, then hey.. seems like a small sacrifice.

Because we are running out of guys, thinking that his true mortal enemy is Russ Ball.
I think it's more about past moves than him questioning the moves pending with his current group. They re-signed Tonyan, there has been plenty of talk about locking up Adams, they drafted Amari and as far as Lazard, MVS, EQ and Funchess, none of those guys will be resigned until they fully earn it.

The bad news, if these are truly the reasons Rodgers wants out of Green Bay, those decisons cant be undone and that might be what Rodgers was referring to about philosophical differences between him and the Packers. Gives me more reason to think that Rodgers really is done in Green Bay. Talking about helping to complete your own self fulfilling prophecies. He wants to stick it to the organization, his teammates and fans, before the Packers can do it to him.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree with the article saying 'Green Bay is not big on handing out fat contracts to anybody'. That's just false.

They hand out contracts, just to their people (for the most part)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts