Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I suspect that it's hard to talk out of both sides of ones mouth. Some folks do it pretty well though.
I'm not sure what you're having a tough time understanding, but based on the stuff you've posted in the past it shouldn't surprise me.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So basically the Packers got everything they wanted in the first place, and Rodgers got virtually nothing.

You love to see it.
Not sure I'd agree with that. I don't think the Packers wanted Rodgers to have any control over his future (where he'll play next), nor did they want to concede any personnel input, nor did they want to give up the ability to franchise tag him, etc.

It'll be beautiful for the Packers if Love is ready next year. If not, the Packers (if you're to believe the reports), cannot force Rodgers to stay after this season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not sure I'd agree with that. I don't think the Packers wanted Rodgers to have any control over his future (where he'll play next), nor did they want to concede any personnel input, nor did they want to give up the ability to franchise tag him, etc.

It'll be beautiful for the Packers if Love is ready next year. If not, the Packers (if you're to believe the reports), cannot force Rodgers to stay after this season.

None of us know for sure, but my sense is that the original plan was to draft Love, sit him for two seasons, cram as much talent on the team as they can finagle the cap to allow, make two last runs with Rodgers, and then trade him for a ton of assets and reset the team with a new QB.

Rodgers tried really hard to prevent them from executing this plan. And yet they're still going to be able to pull off all of it.

So I really don't think he got any concessions of any significance. Which is good. He shouldn't.

If we want to put Cobb on Rodgers' column as a win, that's fair. We can do that. But that's not really a big deal.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're clearly going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't think you have to be reminded how bad it sucked to be a Packers fan the years we didn't have a quarterback.
Clearly on board with the first part, because the Gory Years didn't suck for me. There was no expectation, so every win was a thrill, winning against certain teams and knocking some out of playoffs even more so. It wasn't a matter of "whoopy, another regular season win, getting us into the playoffs again, when is the other shoe going to drop?" like it's been for most of the last 1/4 century. Understand sports happiness is a personal matter, and if you can look back on years where they clearly should have gone further, or all the way, and didn't, more power to you.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know.

We bring back a guy who doesn't want to be here. I know he is a very competitive guy and will likely give it his best effort, but I am not 100% sure he will. Now we have acquiesced some GM duties to him. I hope Cobb is nothing more than a conditional 6th rounder.

Not sure he doesn't claim back pain and has to sit out.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know.

We bring back a guy who doesn't want to be here. I know he is a very competitive guy and will likely give it his best effort, but I am not 100% sure he will. Now we have acquiesced some GM duties to him. I hope Cobb is nothing more than a conditional 6th rounder.

Maybe we will get the conditional pick

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know.

He didn't want to be here last year either, he just wasn't as open about it.

MVP number four here we come!!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, when it doesn't happen, year after year, with new and unique causes each time. And, yes, I'd prefer years where it's out of reach to a major disappointment every year.
Clearly on board with the first part, because the Gory Years didn't suck for me. There was no expectation, so every win was a thrill, winning against certain teams and knocking some out of playoffs even more so. It wasn't a matter of "whoopy, another regular season win, getting us into the playoffs again, when is the other shoe going to drop?" like it's been for most of the last 1/4 century. Understand sports happiness is a personal matter, and if you can look back on years where they clearly should have gone further, or all the way, and didn't, more power to you.

I know I prefer going into a season thinking "we could win 4 games this year if we get lucky" or "I just hope we can beat the Bears and vikings at least once this year" rather than "we could win the Super Bowl this year"

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
None of us know for sure, but my sense is that the original plan was to draft Love, sit him for two seasons, cram as much talent on the team as they can finagle the cap to allow, make two last runs with Rodgers, and then trade him for a ton of assets and reset the team with a new QB.

Rodgers tried really hard to prevent them from executing this plan. And yet they're still going to be able to pull off all of it.

So I really don't think he got any concessions of any significance. Which is good. He shouldn't.

If we want to put Cobb on Rodgers' column as a win, that's fair. We can do that. But that's not really a big deal.
Right, because the Packers didn't offer Rodgers an extension earlier in the offseason or anything... :roflmao:

If Love flops, you can't tell me the ideal scenario for the Packers would've been trading Rodgers for "a ton of assets". They would've kept Rodgers until they found a better QB option moving forward. And if necessary, they would franchise him when the time came. They weren't going to move him just for the hell of it with Love sucking wind.

I respect where you're coming from. You've got the green and gold tinted glasses on. That's fine. But to act like Rodgers got nothing at all out of this is just delusional.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, because the Packers didn't offer Rodgers an extension earlier in the offseason or anything... :roflmao:

If Love flops, you can't tell me the ideal scenario for the Packers would've been trading Rodgers for "a ton of assets". They would've kept Rodgers until they found a better QB option moving forward. And if necessary, they would franchise him when the time came. They weren't going to move him just for the hell of it with Love sucking wind.

I respect where you're coming from. You've got the green and gold tinted glasses on. That's fine. But to act like Rodgers got nothing at all out of this is just delusional.

He got VERY little. VERY little, because in the end and he knows it, the majority of the leverage did not reside on his side.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't know.

lol Rodgers isn't going to mail it in.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
He got VERY little. VERY little, because in the end and he knows it, the majority of the leverage did not reside on his side.
Lets see. He wanted more of a say in personnel matters, and here comes Randall Cobb. He wanted the ability to choose where he wants to play next year, he got it. He didn't want to risk being franchised, that was rescinded. The only thing he didn't get was a trade this offseason, assuming that's really what he was angling for.

At the end of the day, he went from having zero control over his future, to being able to dictate his future after this season in Green Bay. What am I missing? Unless some of the reporting doesn't come to fruition, I'd say he got a lot of what he wanted.

What did he not get besides a trade this season?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see. He wanted more of a say in personnel matters, and here comes Randall Cobb. He wanted the ability to choose where he wants to play next year, he got it. He didn't want to risk being franchised, that was rescinded. The only thing he didn't get was a trade this offseason, assuming that's really what he was angling for.

At the end of the day, he went from having zero control over his future, to being able to dictate his future after this season in Green Bay. What am I missing? Unless some of the reporting doesn't come to fruition, I'd say he got a lot of what he wanted.

What did he not get besides a trade this season?

Um....no Green Bay still dictates 100% where he goes next year. They didn't void that year. Rescinding the franchise thing is piddly and easy thing to do - as it wasn't going to happen IMO.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Um....no Green Bay still dictates 100% where he goes next year. They didn't void that year. Rescinding the franchise thing is piddly and easy thing to do - as it wasn't going to happen IMO.
From the ESPN story (bolded portion):

The agreement in principle would include an approximation of the following conditions that the two sides now are finalizing to alleviate and address some of Rodgers' issues before the opening of Tuesday's training camp:

* The 2023 year in Rodgers' contract -- the last one in his current deal -- would be voided, with no tags allowed in the future.

* The Packers would agree to review Rodgers' situation at the end of this season.

* Rodgers' contract would be adjusted with no loss of income to give the Packers more cap room now.

* Mechanisms will be put in place to address Rodgers' issues with the team.

If Packers officials sign off on their willingness to trade Rodgers, and the agreement is finalized soon, here's the biggest concession the reigning MVP will receive: the freedom to decide where he wants to play in 2022.

Like I said, I'm merely going on what's being reported right now. Could it be incorrect? It's possible. But unless there's a counter story that I haven't seen (more than possible), I'm going with this for now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2022 year is still held and controlled by the Packers, nothing reported or cited changes that? What am I missing? Yes I get and fully understand the aspects of change which have occurred, which really are no brainers and don't change much if anything except into 2023.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol Rodgers isn't going to mail it in.
That's one thing I've been pretty confident about this entire time. he may have it in his make up to get mad at things some of us might just roll with, but I don't see any hint that he would do something without committing himself to it 100%.

I may have been concerned with all sorts of things surrounding this from who's our QB to how does it affect relationships within the locker room, but I was never concerned about his commitment to playing the game. He'd walk away and commit to retirement before playing a half assed season. at least that's my thought.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a professional QB, he will give it all he has as it will directly affect his "legacy", thus his personal accomplishments and if he does what is expected (of himself and by others) then the team will be successful (though maybe not a SB). At the same time, his actions in the past several months and words may create issues in the locker room and be transferred to the field. Trust is everything amongst team members, do they, will they "trust" in him after what he has said and how he acted? Open question(s) that will only be answered once the season starts. Side note: Why Cobb? Well, his past 3-5 years including those in GB were generally better than half of the GB receivers the past 2-3 years. If he still has game in him then he should be able to beat out some of these guys that have been questionable at best. Again, trust is everything between QB and Receiver and that exists between Rodgers and Cobb.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Is that really helpful? If I tell you you've got "Aaron Rodgers tinted glasses on," have I added anything to the discussion?

Again, we can't know what their intentions were for certain, but I feel pretty confident that they didn't draft Love planning to let Rodgers play out the entirety of his contract.

That seems to be supported by the rumors that swirled early on that the Packers were trying to restructure Rodgers' contract without committing any more cap space to him beyond this season.

We don't know what the offers were that Rodgers apparently turned down earlier this offseason. Maybe they still would have left him tradeable, and maybe that's why he declined them? Maybe the team decided it was better to change their plans and offer him a real extension rather than let the situation remain ugly? I'm not claiming to know, but I still think I have a good idea of what their original intentions were.

So I do not think that it's delusional, nor tinted, to say that the Packers probably drafted Love planning to sit him for two seasons and then move Rodgers when his cap number make such a move financially tenable. They are still set up to do that despite Rodgers' attempts to change their plans.

Love may or may not flop. I don't have a really strong feeling there. But Rodgers is 38 this year. If they have a chance to cash in on him soon for a lot of draft capital, it's easy to see why that makes a lot of sense. Whether it's Love or someone else, he's going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later. If you have a ton of picks in hand, it's much easier to a) build around Love, or b) go get the new guy if Love isn't it. Getting a ton of value out of a guy who is 1-2 years away from retirement is good team building. In the near future, they are going to need to bite the bullet, cap-wise, with how much they've borrowed against the future. So if they can't win another ring with Rodgers now, there's little reason to keep him into his age 39, 40, 41 season with a lesser roster. Cash in and re-set for another run.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Is that really helpful? If I tell you you've got "Aaron Rodgers tinted glasses on," have I added anything to the discussion?

Again, we can't know what their intentions were for certain, but I feel pretty confident that they didn't draft Love planning to let Rodgers play out the entirety of his contract.

That seems to be supported by the rumors that swirled early on that the Packers were trying to restructure Rodgers' contract without committing any more cap space to him beyond this season.

We don't know what the offers were that Rodgers apparently turned down earlier this offseason. Maybe they still would have left him tradeable, and maybe that's why he declined them? Maybe the team decided it was better to change their plans and offer him a real extension rather than let the situation remain ugly? I'm not claiming to know, but I still think I have a good idea of what their original intentions were.

So I do not think that it's delusional, nor tinted, to say that the Packers probably drafted Love planning to sit him for two seasons and then move Rodgers when his cap number make such a move financially tenable. They are still set up to do that despite Rodgers' attempts to change their plans.

Love may or may not flop. I don't have a really strong feeling there. But Rodgers is 38 this year. If they have a chance to cash in on him soon for a lot of draft capital, it's easy to see why that makes a lot of sense. Whether it's Love or someone else, he's going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later. If you have a ton of picks in hand, it's much easier to a) build around Love, or b) go get the new guy if Love isn't it. Getting a ton of value out of a guy who is 1-2 years away from retirement is good team building. In the near future, they are going to need to bite the bullet, cap-wise, with how much they've borrowed against the future. So if they can't win another ring with Rodgers now, there's little reason to keep him into his age 39, 40, 41 season with a lesser roster. Cash in and re-set for another run.
I understand what the Packers intention was, but there was and is always the possibility that he flops. In such scenario, the Packers weren't going to trade Rodgers on the same timeline they originally planned for. Take the Patriots for an example. Belichick was willing to trade Brady once he was comfortable with Jimmy G taking over. But he would've never been willing to deal Brady if he felt like Jimmy G wasn't the guy.

My point is, because of the negotiation process, Rodgers made it to where the Packers cannot franchise tag him and hold him hostage if they wanted to bring him back. And if he keeps playing at an elite level and Love were to flop, they would not deal him. So Rodgers, in my opinion, absolutely got what he wanted in leveraging the ability to move on from the Packers at his own discretion, whether it's after this season as I anticipate, or whether it's after 2022.

Before that, he didn't have that assurance.

So that's what I mean when I say that Rodgers got what he wanted. There's no way for him to know what the Packers would do in the future with him. But before all of this came about, he had zero control over the situation. Now he has far more control with a potential exit strategy before he turns 40.

It's more than plausible to see this scenario:

- Love completely flops
- Rodgers continues to play at an elite level
- The Packers have no alternative QB option
- Thus, the Packers do not deal Rodgers

So again, Rodgers leveraged some scenarios in his favor and in my opinion it's a bit delusional to believe otherwise.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Most reports ive seen say this is a packer win. Rodgers gets cobb and one year off his contract.
Believe it or not he still could be in same spot in 2022

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I understand what the Packers intention was, but there was and is always the possibility that he flops. In such scenario, the Packers weren't going to trade Rodgers on the same timeline they originally planned for. Take the Patriots for an example. Belichick was willing to trade Brady once he was comfortable with Jimmy G taking over. But he would've never been willing to deal Brady if he felt like Jimmy G wasn't the guy.

My point is, because of the negotiation process, Rodgers made it to where the Packers cannot franchise tag him and hold him hostage if they wanted to bring him back. And if he keeps playing at an elite level and Love were to flop, they would not deal him. So Rodgers, in my opinion, absolutely got what he wanted in leveraging the ability to move on from the Packers at his own discretion, whether it's after this season as I anticipate, or whether it's after 2022.

Before that, he didn't have that assurance.

So that's what I mean when I say that Rodgers got what he wanted. There's no way for him to know what the Packers would do in the future with him. But before all of this came about, he had zero control over the situation. Now he has far more control with a potential exit strategy before he turns 40.

It's more than plausible to see this scenario:

- Love completely flops
- Rodgers continues to play at an elite level
- The Packers have no alternative QB option
- Thus, the Packers do not deal Rodgers

So again, Rodgers leveraged some scenarios in his favor and in my opinion it's a bit delusional to believe otherwise.

The inability to tag him is a good point. He did get that concession and Cobb. I was being hyperbolic as I feel that the Packers got the much more significant concessions (i.e. they get him to play for them this year and have the option to keep or trade him next year).

The key issue as I saw it was always their desire to keep him for the present but maintain future flexibility vs. his desire to either deny them his services this year, or deny them the flexibility of moving him next year. It would seem to me that the team won on both of those fronts. I just see those as dramatically bigger deals that their inability to tag him for his age 40 season, or their acquisition of a WR to suit his preferences. But you're right that he did get those things.

Can you explain to me what you mean by saying that he can move on from the Packers at his own discretion after this season? My understanding is that he's under team control through the 2022 season, but maybe I missed something about the new arrangement.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The inability to tag him is a good point. He did get that concession and Cobb. I was being hyperbolic as I feel that the Packers got the much more significant concessions (i.e. they get him to play for them this year and have the option to keep or trade him next year).

The key issue as I saw it was always their desire to keep him for the present but maintain future flexibility vs. his desire to either deny them his services this year, or deny them the flexibility of moving him next year. It would seem to me that the team won on both of those fronts. I just see those as dramatically bigger deals that their inability to tag him for his age 40 season, or their acquisition of a WR to suit his preferences. But you're right that he did get those things.

Can you explain to me what you mean by saying that he can move on from the Packers at his own discretion after this season? My understanding is that he's under team control through the 2022 season, but maybe I missed something about the new arrangement.
Schefter mentioned in his reporting that Rodgers would have the freedom to dictate where he wanted to play next season, but that statement was sort of vague and lacking in specifics. I was assuming that statement had some truth to it, but Rodgers just confirmed in his presser that he has not been given the right to choose where he wants to play next season so I'll concede that point.