Rodgers on Viking game, and injury updates

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers manning up to admit he made to many mistakes vs the Vikings last year

Jenkins most likely to play WITH OUT HIS CLUB

Green Bay — Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has watched the film from the Green Bay Packers' 30-23 loss to the Minnesota Vikings last season at the Metrodome.

That's right, he sat through all eight sacks he suffered at the hands of Jared Allen and Co.

Rarely have a quarterback and offensive line conspired to allow so many sacks in such a short period of time than on that Monday evening. Rodgers was guilty of holding the ball too long and the line was guilty of playing like turnstiles.

"A couple of those sacks, I was trying to make things happen and a couple of them we got beat," Rodgers said. "I think it was six times, eight times up there. That was a tough game.
"We're not going to have that problem this time."

If the previous meeting was any indication, the protection should be leak proof. In a 28-24 victory at Lambeau Field on Oct. 24, Rodgers was not sacked, allowing him to complete 21 of 34 passes for 295 yards and two touchdowns.

Of course, that game was played on grass in front of a friendly crowd. Playing at the Metrodome is like being a day care teacher with a migraine headache. Your head is pounding while all around you is chaos.

What bothers Rodgers the most about his performance against the Vikings this season and the one in Minneapolis last year is turnovers. He was responsible for three interceptions and a fumble that arguably took points off the board on all four occasions.

"You can't turn the ball over; I turned it over twice," Rodgers said of the 2009 meeting. "We had a good first drive, and I turned the ball over (on a fumble). Then, I threw a turnover when we were in their territory again.

"The way they were playing on offense at that time puts a high priority on taking care of the football. We turned it over twice and lost by 7 points. We had a 10-minute drive in the third quarter and lost it on downs. We took a ton of points off the board. You lose the turnover battle; you're going to lose the game."

Rodgers already has nine interceptions, two more than he had last season and four fewer than he had in 2008. But he has been less guilty of holding onto the ball waiting for a big play to appear and more willing to take a chance.

In some ways, that has been an improvement.

He has had only three games this season with a passer rating higher than 100, and only in the Dallas game two weeks ago has he been dominant (no turnovers, 131.5 rating).

After starting out his career 0-2 at the Metrodome (his predecessor, Brett Favre, started out 0-5), Rodgers is looking for that career-defining victory against the rival Vikings.

"Early in the season, I was too inconsistent, our offense was too inconsistent," Rodgers said. "Offensively, it's important for us to play a little bit better these last seven games."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step by step:

Wide receiver Donald Driver said his injury started innocently enough with a thigh bruise, but trying to play through that made things worse - the tearing of the muscle. He said the blood that pooled around the muscle caused undue stress and led to the strain.

"The blood and fluid can't go anywhere," Driver said. "So you overwork the muscle to try to pump it out, and you end up messing something else up.

"I thought it was just a bruise and I could play through it. I've had plenty of those before, but I guess this one said no."
He did some running in the Hutson Center but is still a question mark for Sunday's game.

Hands-on:

There's a good chance defensive end Cullen Jenkins will play for the first time since the opener without a club or cast on his left hand.

Jenkins broke his hand on the second play of the Philadelphia game and has been playing one-handed. He's practicing with just a hard piece of plastic on the back of the hand and expects to play that way Sunday. He should have full use of his fingers again.

"I'll be able to grab when I'm on blocks, shed easier, things like that," Jenkins said.
Jenkins estimated he missed four or five sacks because he couldn't get the quarterback down with one hand.

Injury report:

Cornerback Charles Woodson (toe), linebacker Clay Matthews (shin) and tight end Andrew Quarless (shoulder) were limited participants in practice.
Woodson took part in the walk-through, Matthews did almost nothing and Quarless took part in some of the regular practice.

Defensive end Ryan Pickett took part in the walk-through but then went in to the Hutson Center to work out. He said he has been cleared for practice Thursday and is hoping to play a full game for the first time since Detroit on Oct. 3.

Cornerback Pat Lee (ankle) was a full participant as was linebacker Brandon Chillar (shoulder). Tackle Chad Clifton (knee) took part in the walk-through only as is his custom each Wednesday.

For the Vikings, Favre (ankle/foot), receiver Percy Harvin (ankle), guard Anthony Herrrera (elbow) and center John Sullivan (calf) were limited.
Wide receiver Bernard Berrian (groin) did not participate.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have both Jenkins and Pickett, plus an improved offensive line and an Aaron Rodgers that may have finally hit his stride, I don't see how we can lose this game. Brett has only lost one game at the Metrodome as quarterback of the Vikings, but the Packers are clearly the superior team and they don't have any off-field issues to be dealing with.

V

Vikeman

If we have both Jenkins and Pickett, plus an improved offensive line and an Aaron Rodgers that may have finally hit his stride, I don't see how we can lose this game. Brett has only lost one game at the Metrodome as quarterback of the Vikings, but the Packers are clearly the superior team and they don't have any off-field issues to be dealing with.

Yes it is clear the Packers are the superior team. After they blew us out earlier in the year. It's not like it came down to the wire or anything.:tease:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"There's a good chance defensive end Cullen Jenkins will play for the first time since the opener without a club or cast on his left hand."

Too bad he couldn't have been outfitted with a hammer or a frying pan.
Hell.
That would have been something to see.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Yes it is clear the Packers are the superior team. After they blew us out earlier in the year. It's not like it came down to the wire or anything.:tease:

Kind of like both the Packer Vikings games last year. Those were not blowouts but all Viking fans seem to think so.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yeah, its not like the Packers are 6 and 3 and the Vikings are 3 and 6...oh wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts