Rodgers contract discussion

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's likely going to be getting 17-20% of the cap anyway, at least initially. But if it's a strictly cash number, at least it won't grow with the cap. Maybe. Depends on how it's set up. But he's going to be getting a big chunk regardless. If the Packers want to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers, they're likely going to have make some history (with regard to quarterback cap %).
I suppose so. What would help is if they could get some impact or near-impact performances from younger guys still playing on rookie contracts. Unfortunately, they wasted a draft on D (Rollins, Randall) and so had to rinse and repeat this year. Hard to build a champion team that way, even with #12 under center.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could have been a backhanded comment. Surely everyone can think of a someone who was allowed to walk the year before they had an All-Pro season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t realize they were demands. I only heard he was interested.
He did say, none of those demands came from him, but he thought in his situation they may get creative in compensation and he would be interested in exploring those. But i have heard nothing specific and I don't expect to until he has signed something. Packers are tight lipped and Rodgers is as measured and careful as one can be when dealing with the media. I don't expect him to be leaking anything or have any of this play out in the media. Which of course probably helps drive the wild speculation because none of the "insiders" know anything, but they want to appear to. So they make stuff up and see if it sticks later.

D

Deleted member 6794

yup...or a good/great qb on a rookie deal and a team full of good veterans. see: Rams, Eagles

or a qb willing to take less so he can have a team built around him. see: Patriots

Unfortunately the Packers don't have the choice of having Rodgers play on a rookie deal. The media is exaggerating reports of Brady taking less for the Patriots to surround him with more talent.

Well, every day that goes by without a new deal for the best player in football leads me to believe what you say is true. Now that would be a sad day.

With Rodgers having two years left on his current deal there's no reason to be concerned at this point.

Yeah and all you have to do is look at the production the Saints got last year from their younger talent. And it’s true, the Packers simply haven’t drafted well for a number of years.

It would be awesome for the Packers to receive similar production out of this year's rookie class as the Saints did from theirs in 2017 but in my opinion that's extremely unrealistic.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
until this year, Brady's cap numbers were lower in the 8-9% range whereas Rodgers has been in the 11-12+%. in the year we came the closest he was 13% That's no small difference. with a 150-160 million dollar cap that's around 5 million a year to go to someone else. Probably easier to absorb another player when your starting DB goes down and you have that contract to eat, but still need another player. another 5 million dollars a year would come in handy. if someone is going to freak out over what amounts to maybe 1 million a year extra for a long standing veteran kicker, surely they can see the value in 5 times that amount being available to add a quality player? Since the uncapped season in 2010 up till last season Rodgers has cost the Packers 3.5% of the cap more on average than Brady. That's over 5 million a season. we could included 2010 where Brady had a much higher salary I think 17 million to 6 for rodgers? But then who was the super bowl winning QB that year and who wasn't? Brady's numbers go up quite a bit this year and next to equal or just slightly higher than Rodgers (assuming there is no new contract for him) But those games haven't been played and for all we know, both teams might win it all or fall flat on their faces. With Brady being at about the end, it's even more important for the team to be stronger around him. We'll see what happens.

People are talking about 20% of the cap going to Rodgers and linking his salary to the percentage? Be careful what you wish for I guess. Pretty much every rookie will have to perform and every single scrap heap FA they could maybe afford can't get injured or fail in any way. There's a reason super bowl winning QB's are averaging around 6-8% of the cap, not double digit percentages and people are talking about doubling the extreme and writing it in a contract to keep him there? oofff, is about all I can say.

D

Deleted member 6794

until this year, Brady's cap numbers were lower in the 8-9% range whereas Rodgers has been in the 11-12+%. in the year we came the closest he was 13% That's no small difference. with a 150-160 million dollar cap that's around 5 million a year to go to someone else. Probably easier to absorb another player when your starting DB goes down and you have that contract to eat, but still need another player. another 5 million dollars a year would come in handy. if someone is going to freak out over what amounts to maybe 1 million a year extra for a long standing veteran kicker, surely they can see the value in 5 times that amount being available to add a quality player? Since the uncapped season in 2010 up till last season Rodgers has cost the Packers 3.5% of the cap more on average than Brady. That's over 5 million a season. we could included 2010 where Brady had a much higher salary I think 17 million to 6 for rodgers? But then who was the super bowl winning QB that year and who wasn't? Brady's numbers go up quite a bit this year and next to equal or just slightly higher than Rodgers (assuming there is no new contract for him) But those games haven't been played and for all we know, both teams might win it all or fall flat on their faces. With Brady being at about the end, it's even more important for the team to be stronger around him. We'll see what happens.

People are talking about 20% of the cap going to Rodgers and linking his salary to the percentage? Be careful what you wish for I guess. Pretty much every rookie will have to perform and every single scrap heap FA they could maybe afford can't get injured or fail in any way. There's a reason super bowl winning QB's are averaging around 6-8% of the cap, not double digit percentages and people are talking about doubling the extreme and writing it in a contract to keep him there? oofff, is about all I can say.

Rodgers has accounted for a total cap hit of $103.25 million over the past seven season while the Patriots have used $93.314 million of their cap space on Brady since 2011. That results in a difference of approximately $1.4 million per season, way less than you assumed (actually the Packers could have saved that money by going with a rookie kicker instead of overpaying for an average veteran).

I agree there's no reason for the Packers to guarantee paying Rodgers 20% of the cap but it's actually a myth that Brady has taken a lot less money than Rodgers for the Patriots to be able to surround him with superior talent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't assume, I went to over the cap and used their % of cap numbers per season. I assume you found another way to massage numbers to look differently.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't assume, I went to over the cap and used their % of cap numbers per season. I assume you found another way to massage numbers to look differently.

While I used a different website if you add up the numbers from Over The Cap Rodgers accounted for a combined total cap hit of $12 million higher than Brady since 2011. That's still less than $2 million per season and approximately the amount of money the Packers overpaid for Crosby.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I used a different website if you add up the numbers from Over The Cap Rodgers accounted for a combined total cap hit of $12 million higher than Brady since 2011. That's still less than $2 million per season and approximately the amount of money the Packers overpaid for Crosby.
I can't do math. somehow I got brady averaging 7 percent of cap and Rodgers at 10.5. Brady averages 9.5 over that period. Sad part is, I even used a calculator LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't do math. somehow I got brady averaging 7 percent of cap and Rodgers at 10.5. Brady averages 9.5 over that period. Sad part is, I even used a calculator LOL

Well, happens to the best of us sometimes ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
OT here. But why is this board, and other Packers message boards so dead?
Mostly has to do with the time of year, but I will say that there wasn't quite as much traffic this offseason as it was last offseason. Which is odd because all of the new changes should spark some fresh topics.

However, there's also not near enough to ***** about either. Notice how all of the negative nancy's are hiding? ;)

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With what we’re paying Mathews, and what he’s actually DONE.... we’ve held onto him a couple years too long already.

Odds are Rogers finishes here. Enjoy this while it lasts folks. We caught lighting in a bottle twice (Favre/Rodgers)..... lotta winning.... sadly only 2 Super Bowls. When we start having to play WITHOUT (one of ) the best QB’s the reality of parity is going to hit some folks really really hard.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With what we’re paying Mathews, and what he’s actually DONE.... we’ve held onto him a couple years too long already.

Odds are Rogers finishes here. Enjoy this while it lasts folks. We caught lighting in a bottle twice (Favre/Rodgers)..... lotta winning.... sadly only 2 Super Bowls. When we start having to play WITHOUT (one of ) the best QB’s the reality of parity is going to hit some folks really really hard.
I agree with your post 100%. Matthews has probably been good for jersey sales, on the field production not so much, no doubt he has been retained too long. TT squandered Rodgers best years and that is the bottom line.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with CaptainWIN, Brady taking less money being directly responsible for him being on a championship caliber team every year is one of the most overblown narratives in football. A $25M QB vs. a guy on a rookie deal can make a substantial difference in the structure of a team. But Brady taking a million or 2 less than Rodgers does not turn our terrible defense into the #5 and #1 units from the previous 2 seasons in NE, nor does it take the mess that we had on offense a year ago and make it good enough to win 75% of the games while our starting QB is out. Brady takes less than he is worth on the open market for a reason, but GB has done nothing to assure the fans or Rodgers that they would be able to take the extra money and put it to good use.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Matthews has been overpaid for the past few years but at the time Thompson signed him to his current deal it was a smart move. While it's a popular opinion among fans that the Packers should have released him by now the truth is that the team hasn't been able to because of salary cap implications and not having an adequate replacement.

But Brady taking a million or 2 less than Rodgers does not turn our terrible defense into the #5 and #1 units from the previous 2 seasons in NE, nor does it take the mess that we had on offense a year ago and make it good enough to win 75% of the games while our starting QB is out. Brady takes less than he is worth on the open market for a reason, but GB has done nothing to assure the fans or Rodgers that they would be able to take the extra money and put it to good use.

The Packers offense definitely had talent last season but Hundley not being up to the task while having to start eight games made the unit look overmatched.

Once again, Brady hasn't taken less money than Rodgers. If we take a look at combined cap hits since 2008 (once Rodgers was paid as a starter) and include the next two seasons both are still under contract Rodgers will have accounted for a total of $175.4 million of cap space over 12 seasons. Over the same period the Patriots will have used $182.2 million of their cap space on Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as I saw the headline, I knew I didn't need to read anymore crap media for the day.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when the media reported the news instead of trying to create it?.... Unfortunately I think that day is long gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So bored with this story and even more bored with the fact that there is no new information and yet the media seems to write a new story about it daily.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts