Rodgers contract discussion

Reaction score
How much of this statement do you agree with??????

(Rodgers talking about staying in GB) And he wants to do it in Green Bay,
but his close friend Jordy Nelson leaving this offseason was the latest reminder that the Packers are seldom the happily-ever-after team,
since they’ve built a reputation of letting guys go a year to soon rather than a year too late.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're paying a guy double digit millions, it's better a year too early than too late. I don't think it's unique to the Packers, I think all teams would like to unload large contracts when they feel the player is about decline. Some do better than others, but they all end up paying guys too much and some guys not enough. Crystal balls are in short supply these days

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes he did say that so I agree.
but his close friend Jordy Nelson leaving this offseason
yes did this happen so I also agree.
was the latest reminder that the Packers are seldom the happily-ever-after team,
since they’ve built a reputation of letting guys go a year to soon rather than a year too late.
Unless you are Hawk or Jones or Neal or Driver or ... you get the drift.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost no team in any sport is the 'happily ever after' team. If I was to bet, I would bet Rodgers finishes his career with some team other than the Packers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

but his close friend Jordy Nelson leaving this offseason was the latest reminder that the Packers are seldom the happily-ever-after team,

I know there have been instances where fans have thought a certain player should have been cut years ago so I'm not sure if they are any more of a year too early than a year too late team. Its just that some of the year to early players have been very high profile so it may appear that way. I'm thinking of guys like Janis, Bush, and to an extent Matthews and Cobb (people are calling for them to be cut right now so if thy are not and they don't perform it will be a year to late for them.) and some others.

I don't think you can really say any team is a year too early or a year too late as a matter of course as all situation are different. With some players it's too early with others it's too late and its the same way with every team.

Reaction score
I loved having Jordy so with all due respect I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. I believe #12 is in a different league as far as his ability to produce. He’s on pace to produce Dan Marino type yardage passing and Steve Young type yardage rushing if he retires at just 40.
I think what will help him is his passion to stay fit with diet and exercise and him mostly being on the bench his first 3 years. I’d say he has a 70% chance of retiring in GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I prefer the Packers to let players walk away a year early rather than late as that keeps them out of issues with the salary cap. I'm well aware that results in moves not liked by players and fans alike but you have to be aware it's a business after all.

If I was to bet, I would bet Rodgers finishes his career with some team other than the Packers.

I'm convinced Rodgers will finish his career in green and gold.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's a business. Players are commodities.

Fans can afford to be sentimental, but it's not smart for a team to operate that way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard that Rodgers is interested in receiving salary compensation as a percentage of the team’s salary cap. That sounds fair and equitable to me if it’s possible legally. I’d guess that would fall somewhere between 17-20% of the team cap. Perhaps on a sliding scale down as he gets older. Of course, the gritty details might be hard to come to agreement on.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
When great quarterbacks or any other player in any position gets older and younger players come into camp
to prove they are better in their positions, do those older players like Favre, Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Brady, etc.
feel different toward the younger play's and know younger ones are after their jobs.

Ex. When Favre was setting records in GB, joking around, hanging out with his offensive line, then as time
passed, the packers actually gave him his own dressing room that cut himself off to the rest of the team.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that Rodgers is interested in receiving salary compensation as a percentage of the team’s salary cap. That sounds fair and equitable to me if it’s possible legally. I’d guess that would fall somewhere between 17-20% of the team cap. Perhaps on a sliding scale down as he gets older. Of course, the gritty details might be hard to come to agreement on.

I also heard that none of these "demands" came from Rodgers or his agent so if that's true what you heard is nothing more than me saying Rodgers is demanding a seat on the board of directors and a lifetime pass to the water park at the new Titletown district and if there is no water park he is demanding one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if any of these rumors are true but with no team having won a Super Bowl with the quarterback accounting for more than 13% of the cap it might not be a smart move by the Packers agreeing on a deal like that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if any of these rumors are true but with no team having won a Super Bowl with the quarterback accounting for more than 13% of the cap it might not be a smart move by the Packers agreeing on a deal like that.
He's likely going to be getting 17-20% of the cap anyway, at least initially. But if it's a strictly cash number, at least it won't grow with the cap. Maybe. Depends on how it's set up. But he's going to be getting a big chunk regardless. If the Packers want to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers, they're likely going to have make some history (with regard to quarterback cap %).

D

Deleted member 6794

He's likely going to be getting 17-20% of the cap anyway, at least initially. But if it's a strictly cash number, at least it won't grow with the cap. Maybe. Depends on how it's set up. But he's going to be getting a big chunk regardless. If the Packers want to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers, they're likely going to have make some history (with regard to quarterback cap %).

I definitely expect Rodgers' contract to eat up a large chunk of the cap. The Packers have to be aware that it's difficult to build a competitive team around him if the percentage tops a certain number though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely expect Rodgers' contract to eat up a large chunk of the cap. The Packers have to be aware that it's difficult to build a competitive team around him if the percentage tops a certain number though.
No doubt. The question is if it's even possible, with a QB taking up nearly 20% of the cap. Let's hope it is. To get there, I imagine you would have to have a lot of your young, drafted talent pay off.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much of the cap did Cousins take up in Washington the last two years? How much will he take up in minnesota?

D

Deleted member 6794

The question is if it's even possible, with a QB taking up nearly 20% of the cap. Let's hope it is. To get there, I imagine you would have to have a lot of your young, drafted talent pay off.

I think it's possible to win a Super Bowl even with your quarterback accounting for a significant percent of the cap but the team must have several impact players still on their rookie deal. Unfortunately the Packers haven't drafted well enough over the past few years to achieve that feat.

How much of the cap did Cousins take up in Washington the last two years? How much will he take up in minnesota?

Cousins accounted for 13.68% of Washington's cap last season as well as 13.64% in 2016.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I also heard that none of these "demands" came from Rodgers or his agent so if that's true what you heard is nothing more than me saying Rodgers is demanding a seat on the board of directors and a lifetime pass to the water park at the new Titletown district and if there is no water park he is demanding one.
I didn’t realize they were demands. I only heard he was interested.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's possible to win a Super Bowl even with your quarterback accounting for a significant percent of the cap but the team must have several impact players still on their rookie deal.

yup...or a good/great qb on a rookie deal and a team full of good veterans. see: Rams, Eagles

or a qb willing to take less so he can have a team built around him. see: Patriots

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost no team in any sport is the 'happily ever after' team. If I was to bet, I would bet Rodgers finishes his career with some team other than the Packers.
Well, every day that goes by without a new deal for the best player in football leads me to believe what you say is true. Now that would be a sad day. As for the comment on Jordy, I think GB could have taken a higher road and simply cut him loose, rather than make an insulting minimum-contract offer they knew he would refuse. Maybe there were reasons they had to do it that way, but I’m not aware of any.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's possible to win a Super Bowl even with your quarterback accounting for a significant percent of the cap but the team must have several impact players still on their rookie deal. Unfortunately the Packers haven't drafted well enough over the past few years to achieve that feat.
Yeah and all you have to do is look at the production the Saints got last year from their younger talent. And it’s true, the Packers simply haven’t drafted well for a number of years. Even Adams took two seasons before he became an impact player.

Cousins accounted for 13.68% of Washington's cap last season as well as 13.64% in 2016.

Members online

No members online now.