Rodgers on being 'injury prone'

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Greg A. Bedard
Wednesday, May 21 2008, 07:40 PM

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers spoke to the media for over 30 minutes today as he began life as "The Guy" at quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. There was a lot of interesting stuff that he said, and it will be covered in my story for tomorrow's paper. But there's one section that I wanted you guys to see now.

Rodgers was asked about the label he carries of being 'injury prone.' It's obviously one of the biggest topics going into his tenure under center for the Packers post Brett Favre. Here's what he had to say, including a little nugget that he had a torn hamstring last year -- "It was pretty bad."

You seem to take real offense when people call you injury prone...
I think it does kind of bother me to say that. To me, when somebody says injury prone, it has a negative connotation to it and a lot of times people can say you're soft because of it. I mean, I had a broken foot and a torn hamstring. And the other thing is when people who have never played by position or even laced them up before are calling me injury prone. I have a little bit of a problem with that. For anybody to call anybody in the NFL injury-prone is not a great idea unless you've played that position or the game for a long time because otherwise you don't really know what it's like to be an NFL player.

I mean, yeah, you're following somebody that had 250-straight starts plus. Obviously that's the standard. If it's an injury because of something you haven't done in the off-season, some work that you can't done on your body, that's one thing. But the kind of work that I've put in, the kind of injuries I've had have kind of been fluke injuries. I'd say I'm one of the most flexible guys on the team. For me to pull a hamstring on the last play of practice is pretty ridiculous. I broke my foot and finished the game. Obviously I want to play all 16 games but things happen out there that you can't control. I just need to be smart as far as my decisions outside the pocket. The biggest problem I had was you calling me injury prone and I finished the game with a broken foot. How do you respond to that?

You had a torn hamstring? We weren't told that...
It was pretty bad. I begged coach to play in that Detroit game. I told him I was probably 85 percent.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i mean its not like Favre didn't get injured. Favre was injured plenty... so much so that i'd call him injury prone.

Favre played through everything though. Aaron broke his foot and still finished the game. what more can you ask. the next week Brett was healthy enough to play so Aaron wasn't needed.

anticipating another Favre streak is crazy... but i think Aaron is gonna do everything in his power to be on the field. and thats all you can ask.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i mean its not like Favre didn't get injured. Favre was injured plenty... so much so that i'd call him injury prone.

Favre played through everything though. Aaron broke his foot and still finished the game. what more can you ask. the next week Brett was healthy enough to play so Aaron wasn't needed.

anticipating another Favre streak is crazy... but i think Aaron is gonna do everything in his power to be on the field. and thats all you can ask.
:agree:

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...Calling him injury prone has always bothered me. I don't believe he is any more injury prone than the next guy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True....very true. Injuries happen to all players. Favre's injuries seemed to come at the right time (if there is any such thing). There were times he woudn't have been able to play had he not had the bye week to get better.
Plus, he was just a tough son of a gun.
Who knows........maybe Rodgers will have a streak of games himself now. Maybe his freak injuries are behind him.

screwballl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we also have 2 other new QBs from the draft... will be interesting to see if Rodgers gets a back seat once again

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OTA video on Packers.com was funny...

WHen ya gonna cut your hair?
Well I dont wanna look like Taush... at least not with my shirt off... LOL

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did get hurt. I recall he broke his foot against New England in 2006. I hope it doesn't happen again. The last thing we need is a QB carosel. We can't right after Favre...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken both injuries came in games where we were getting our ***** handed to us and Arod was out there running for his life.

Favre was not in those games at that time because they didn't want HIM TO GET HURT.

All I am saying is you put somebody in a situation like that and the opportunity for injury is much higher. ESPECIALLY when you have a QB out there who is not just going thru the motions but actually trying to move the chains.
The times I saw ARod in there I did not see very good protection for him. I believe some of the backup OL was in there as well. You can bet your butt Brett would have never made it that many games getting the kind of protection Rodgers saw in some of those games.

The hamstring came from pure running for his life. Hard to call that injury prone IMO.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken both injuries came in games where we were getting our ***** handed to us and Arod was out there running for his life.

Favre was not in those games at that time because they didn't want HIM TO GET HURT.

All I am saying is you put somebody in a situation like that and the opportunity for injury is much higher. ESPECIALLY when you have a QB out there who is not just going thru the motions but actually trying to move the chains.
The times I saw ARod in there I did not see very good protection for him. I believe some of the backup OL was in there as well. You can bet your butt Brett would have never made it that many games getting the kind of protection Rodgers saw in some of those games.

The hamstring came from pure running for his life. Hard to call that injury prone IMO.

Good point.
Another year with Edgar Bennett making sure his RBs can actually block and we should be good. A good chip by an RB makes a whale of a difference, and often means the difference between a QB walking off the field after the game or being carried off the field while the game is still playing.

Our Gs need to step up, and they should, as they've been drastically improving towards the end of the season. They didn't look too good against the Giants, but against the Hawks, they looked fantastic.

Pass blocking is the key to Rodgers' health, my friends. If the OL plays at the level we expect them to play at, we should be good. My only worry is we lost Bubba, who was a dang good blocker. Bubba was really good at protecting Brett. Hopefully one of our TEs or our FBs can step up and fill his big shoes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Brett was hurt vs New England, and so was Rodgers..

Brett was hurt vs Dallas, Rodgers was not hurt then..

I believe Rodgers was hurt a few days later on last play of a practice.

I dont call him injury prone..

He got stepped on, that is something you can not prevent..

The hammy is the only injury that I guess you could say just happened..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the NE game he was going to go in anyway because we were getting smoked and by the time he got in he had no chance so the opportunity to get hurt there was much greater for him by that point.

Conversely, while it wasn't going good we were still in the Cowboy's game and he got much better protection there and responded with a good game.

As Zombie said this is more than likely going to go hand in hand with the kind of blocking he gets and him learning to get down when he needs to. If he's any more likely to get hurt than any other QB it's because he takes off and doesn't just sit back there and hit the ground when pressured.

I would rather have that, however, than a Grossman who reacts to pressure by going the wrong way. You start moving backwards in the NFL and it's the kiss of death. That guy has the worst talent in handling pressure that I have seen in a QB.

I doubt we will hear from the Chicago writers about that subject though will we?

Members online

Latest posts