Rodgers Not Himself?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I remember it, Adams' momentum on the 2 point conversion was toward the sidelines so it would have been very difficult for him to change his direction 90 degrees and attack the ball. And even if he had, the DB had position so the result still could have been an incompletion or offensive interference (although the refs were mostly ignoring pass interference during that game). The problem was the DB had position as the pass was thrown. And the problem with the pass was it was under-thrown (Rodgers obviously had pressure on the play so I'm not blaming him). If Rodgers could have led him a little bit more and/or thrown it higher, Adams would have had a chance to catch it.

It could have been a better thrown ball, but Adams probably makes the catch if he extends his arm for the ball and doesn't let it come to his body. I'd put both Rodgers and Adams at fault on the play as well as the protection.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's supposed to be a physical receiver, yet he had a smaller CB knocking balls out of his hands on more than one occasion.

I don't understand the hype behind him pre-draft AT ALL. Looking at his highlight videos, he just seemed to catch perfectly thrown balls from Derek Carr against terrible competition. He's not fast, not tall, and has unreliable hands. Great pick, TT.

You must have missed the Patriots and Dallas games last season. He clearly has the ability to play well in this league.

Second year plays also can get better too.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree. Not a choke job at all - he and Cobb had obvious drops that are fairly characterized by that term. But the CB had position and the ball was thrown short and didn't lead Adams toward the sideline. As I said, I don't think that was Rodgers' fault, but IMO it wasn't Adams' either.

And regarding the pre-draft hype for Adams I think it had something to do with his production in college. And even if you disagree with that, how about the post-draft, post TC, in-season hype by none other than Aaron Rodgers? And no, he doesn't hype every receiver or player on offense.
I'm looking at Allen Robinson, a guy who leads the league in 20+ yard receptions, and is near the top in yards per catch and in touchdowns, and is a receiver who looked better in college against actual competition, and is on a completely different level in the NFL, and he was selected after Adams. Thompson was looking for a receiver at that time, and Robinson has a very similar mold to Adams, so I'm perplexed as to what he saw in Adams that made him think he would be better.

Even if Adams does live up to the hype from Rodgers, I still don't see him being as good as Robinson. If he were, we would see flashes of it already. All I've seen is a guy who can be a solid role player if he learns the advanced skill of catching the ball, not a ball hawk or a guy who will contribute much of anything beyond 10 yards.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have missed the Patriots and Dallas games last season. He clearly has the ability to play well in this league.

Second year plays also can get better too.
I'm not saying he can't play in the league. If he were a late round selection, I would be more positive. But in the second round, you can get better talent. Guys have good games, especially with somebody like Rodgers throwing the ball and the best members of the secondary focusing the attention elsewhere. Neither of those were mind-blowing performances, he just simply caught the ball, and maybe shook a guy or two. Nothing dozens of other receivers in the league aren't capable of.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That's true but I did leave a couple of clues. That paragraph was the only one in italics and I started it with, "After careful consideration and minutes of study..." And then advocating for Aaron to break up with her. But I know I've read some stuff on this board that I would have bet anything was a joke and it turned out to be serious.

Hey... I get you, TJV and that's all that matters. ;)

For what it's worth, I've stopped reading and watching the national media speculating on what's wrong with Rodgers and the Packers in general. Some coach a long time ago said something that kind of stuck with me...that the most important part of the game is played on one square foot -- the area between your ears.

What ails Aaron and the rest of the Packers right now? Shane Falco nailed it in my opinion:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Adams has the tools and ability, but he needs to work on his focus and effort every single play. Will he or won't he? So far I'd say he hasn't, but i'm not ready to write him off yet. I've seen enough to know he "could" be very very good. But he's also shown he could be Boykin too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to make a snap judgement on Adams now, I'd say;
Not a #1
A good #2
Very good #3
Star in waiting? No.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking at Allen Robinson, a guy who leads the league in 20+ yard receptions, and is near the top in yards per catch and in touchdowns, and is a receiver who looked better in college against actual competition, and is on a completely different level in the NFL, and he was selected after Adams.
As I posted before, we’d all be geniuses if we could go back with perfect 20/20 hindsight and conduct a draft so I’d be impressed if you advocated for him right after the draft. And BTW, what about Cody Latimer instead of Adams? He was taken after Adams and before Robinson. In spite of all the money and hours spent evaluating college players, the draft is a crap shoot. As to why Thompson picked Adams over Robinson? He and his staff thought he'd be better.

Members online

Latest posts