Rodgers Looks Better

Pack_One

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a Bob McGinn article that talks a little bit about Aaron and last night.

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers dives for a one-yard TD in the third quarter against the Broncos on Friday night. Rodgers was 18 of 22 for 193 yards and a TD.

Everything that Aaron Rodgers was not a week ago in San Francisco he was Friday night at Invesco Field in an exhibition game that the Green Bay Packers ended up winning, 27-24, over the Denver Broncos.

Granted, it was just another forgettable night in August before an uninspired crowd with thousands of no-shows. Although the Broncos did play their No. 1 defense for the full first half, coordinator Bob Slowik seldom blitzed and was content playing primarily zone coverage with a two-deep secondary.

But the circumstances were out of Rodgers' control. He needed an impressive showing for his own self-esteem, if nothing else, and impressive it was in the Packers' third exhibition game, the one most teams regard as the most telling.

Implementing a canny game plan from coach Mike McCarthy, Rodgers led the Packers to four scores in five possessions. Under Rodgers, the Packers gained 217 yards and generated 15 first downs.

"I thought it was important for our offense to play a lot better," McCarthy said. "Aaron had a very good night. He was sharp. He managed the offensive tempo. He was smart with the football. He was very good on third down."

In all, Rodgers completed 18 of 22 passes for 193 yards. His passer rating of 118.4 was far better than his mark of 71.3 in the first two games.

Asked if it was the best he had seen Rodgers play, general manager Ted Thompson replied: "He was pretty good in college. Aaron's had some good preseason games. I thought he played pretty good in Dallas last year.

"I thought he was accurate tonight and he managed the game well."

Both teams are 1-2.

Unlike last week, when McCarthy used a shotgun formation on the Packers' first two plays from scrimmage, the coach returned to more conventional football, undoubtedly helping Rodgers get on track and keeping the Broncos off balance.

On the Packers' first possession, an eight-play, 80-yard touchdown drive, Green Bay was in an I-formation with either base personnel or two tight ends on its first six snaps.

The opening play was a bootleg pass in which Rodgers found tight end Tory Humphrey for 35 yards. He came back with a 17-yard curl to Greg Jennings, who played well in his first game back from injury, and then found the open man, Donald Driver, on third and 3 for a 10-yard touchdown.

On its second possession, Green Bay drove from its 20 to the Denver 43 before protection problems intervened. The Packers were able to overcome a quick pressure against Daryn Colledge by defensive tackle Kenny Peterson, but not an 8-yard sack by end Elvis Dumervil around the corner against Mark Tauscher.

Joe Philbin, the offensive coordinator, said the only thing close to a forced ball by Rodgers came on the first play of the third series. Driver wasn't open down the seam against D.J. Williams but the Packers drew a 26-yard interference play on the Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker.

"If we see a linebacker on Donald we're going to throw it," Thompson said.

The Packers reached the Denver 19 before Rodgers was penalized for a false start and James Jones dropped a pass at the 14. Mason Crosby then kicked a 44-yard field goal.

Taking over at the 20 with 1½ minutes left in the first half, Rodgers completed five in a row for 52 yards before overthrowing a well-covered Jennings in the end-zone corner. Crosby's 46-yard field goal cut Denver's lead to 17-13 at halftime.

The Packers stuck with their No. 1 offense against Broncos' reserves in the opening series of the third quarter. Will Blackmon's 43-yard punt return led to a 1-yard touchdown run by Rodgers, his third successful quarterback sneak of the night.

"That's new," said Thompson, mindful that the Packers hadn't frequently used Brett Favre on sneaks for the better part of a decade.

McCarthy also gave more than just short shrift to the running game for a change. With Rodgers under center, the Packers had run 10 times compared with 38 drop-backs in the first two games. On this night, the ratio was more balanced at 15 runs to 23 drop-backs.

When the Broncos did blitz Rodgers, he was quick on the trigger, snapping off three or four hitch routes to wide receivers.

After producing just 13 points in 10 possessions against the Bengals and 49ers, Rodgers put up 20 points in five against the Broncos.

On defense, the Packers had a terrible night, giving up 91 yards rushing (6.1 average) and 206 total yards in the first half.

"They ran the ball up the middle," Thompson said. "That's not usual for us."

For the third straight game, Green Bay's starting pass rush was nonexistent. There were no sacks, and the only two knockdowns were registered by Aaron Kampman. Jay Cutler's passer rating was 117.0.

Cutler directed a 58-yard drive for a field goal, then a 99-yard for a touchdown. If Nick Barnett had made the tackle of rookie fullback Peyton Hillis in the flat on the third play of the 99-yard march, the Broncos would have had to punt from their end zone. He missed, Hillis gained 14 and the drive went all the way.

"Getting off the field on third down is the strength of our defense," McCarthy said. "We're better than we showed on that drive."

The second of Cutler's two touchdown passes came late in the first half when Brandon Marshall took a long pass away from Tramon Williams for a 49-yard score.

"At first Marshall separated from him," Thompson said. "Then he (Williams) caught up. Then their arms got together and it was one of those deals."

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did well i thought ... in fact ,, through all the preseason games Rodgers didnt look bad ... yea he was sacked a few times the last game and didnt move the ball ,,, but the line wasnt protecting him and the reciving core dropped some key balls ... so all in all he may be better than most thought ,,, ill admit i didnt think he was going to do as well as he did agenst denver ... now the biggest problem i see is stopping the run ... if we can get that going ,, and rodgers can stay healty we should be able to compete ....

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breathing is better than not breathing.

Walking is better than crawling.

Floating is better than drowning.

No matter how you look at it, the Packers have been playing possum and will shock the Vikedykes opening night.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Breathing is better than not breathing.

Walking is better than crawling.

Floating is better than drowning.

No matter how you look at it, the Packers have been playing possum and will shock the Vikedykes opening night.

Let's just hope that's all it is on the defense.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers looked pretty solid, even his incompletes looked good. One was a dropped pass by jones, the other was a solid throw that was incomplete in the endzone and then right after another quality throw that ended up as pass interference in the endzone. I'm excited, i'm just hoping our offensive line is read for the vikes come monday night

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
getting Pickett, Jolly, and Hawk back will do wonders for the run D

will we have these guys back for the season opener ??? last i heard hawk was week to week .... and pickett will he be back ?? also what is going on with jolly ,,, doesnt he have those legal problems ??? we need these guys for the season opener ... i dont think we should even play the starters this next preseason game ... IMO why take a risk in anymore injurys ... i just wanted the team to show they could move the ball ,, they have done that ... they should let the guys that are fighting for the roster spots fight it out ... i also want to see more of that lumkin ...

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly probably wont see court until the season is over.

Hawk is a big question mark still.

Pickett should be there but who knows if he is in shape.

I agree sit everyone that is anyone.

I still am not worried about the opener. Screw the Vikes.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the Vikes, but we need Pickett to close that "revolving door" in the middle so Peterson can meet Kampman.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
Jolly probably wont see court until the season is over.

Hawk is a big question mark still.

Pickett should be there but who knows if he is in shape.

I agree sit everyone that is anyone.

I still am not worried about the opener. Screw the Vikes.

i hope pickett is in shape .... should we look for a guy ,, just in case ... as i see it ,,, our real trouble is stopping the run ... also am i the olny one that thinks we could use some beef on that line ???

Members online

Latest posts