Rodgers' Leadership Called Into Question Again

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PLEASE READ RULES ON POSTING ARTICLES FROM OTHER SITES...SO LONGTIMEFAN EDITED YOUR POST

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.
The one thing that NEVER should be done is copying articles from PAY sites. We do not allow this at all and could get us in trouble if we post content from paid sites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the original article from the Journal-Sentinel: (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thrown-into-question-n58fedi-187970011.html)

Green Bay- Their season had been done approximately 14 hours.
Aaron Rodgers, one of the leaders of the Green Bay Packers, sat alone at his locker, staring aimlessly around the room. Rodgers was asked if he'd talk about the season that just ended.
"Nope," Rodgers said.
Instead, Rodgers began eavesdropping on an interview linebacker Desmond Bishop was conducting.
After each question, Rodgers made a snide remark about the queries loud enough for anyone within earshot to hear.
"I can't believe they'd ask that," Rodgers said.
"Nice question," he said another time.
Finally, doing his best Drew Rosenhaus, Rodgers bellowed, "Next question."
Instead of preparing for the NFC Championship Game, Rodgers was now critiquing reporters.

But is there a disconnect between Rodgers and some of his teammates?
While no Packers players have publicly criticized Rodgers, the signs began in September, when Blake Baratz - the agent for Packers tight end Jermichael Finley - took to Twitter to rip Rodgers.
"ARod is a great QB he isn't a great leader," Baratz tweeted. "There's a major difference. Leaders take the blame & make every1 better. He doesn't."
In October, CBS' Shannon Sharpe ripped Rodgers on the air. The Packers organization believed that the leak came from one of its own players.
"Aaron Rodgers . . . he strikes me as a guy that, it's always someone else's fault other than his own," Sharpe said. "I'm not so sure, I'm not so sure, that deep down inside, how well his receiving corps really likes Aaron Rodgers.
"I tell you what else, just because you're a great quarterback and an MVP quarterback that doesn't make you a great person. There is a difference between the two."
Rodgers later called those comments "stupid" and "uninformed" on his weekly radio show.
"

The NFL website then opined on the situation: (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-is-aaron-rodgers-leadership-being-questioned)

The position-by-position season review is a common newspaper tradition in big football towns. I love reading them to catch up on anything I missed during the season.

When I dove into Milwaukee Journal Sentinel'sPackersquarterback review on Wednesday, I expected a breakdown of Aaron Rodgers' bumpy, but mostly excellent season. Instead, I found a not-so-subtle takedown of Rodgers' leadership skills.

The piece starts with Rodgers skipping out on talking to the media the day after the season ended, choosing instead to crack jokes during linebacker Desmond Bishop's interview. Seems like a harmless-enough anecdote, but it sets a tone. The article goes on to ask if there is a disconnect between Rodgers and his teammates.

I'm not in a position to say whether the paper's questioning of Rodgers' leadership has merit. Knowing how Rodgers takes perceived slights, it's a safe bet that the article will get his attention.

I never considered this much of an issue, and still don't. However, it does put things in a different light when you see everything put together in a list of issues. I've previously expressed my displeasure with Rodgers speaking out about personnel issues, but it's not uncommon for QBs to do it. I just wish that they wouldn't.

Do any of you read any further into this, see Rodgers any differently, or think that there is a small fire in the vicinity of the smoke we're seeing?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JS is cranky at Rodgers and is pandering to Finley and Jennings to give them the insider info on a non-story, hoping to get more ink out of it. They don't have to like Rodgers and he doesn't have to like them, and that's fine. I'm not really surprised or upset by the article. I also think that Rodgers' wit is sufficiently dry as to blur the line between sarcastic humor and sarcastic venom, if that's your intent.

Just another newspaper manufacturing smoke and hoping to sell papers and subscriptions with the allusion of a fire.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't read the article first, yet, but I read the good one at JerseyAl's site....... anyone read that one?
It was well-written.... ok just read it.

Don't really like what Aaron did, said listening in to Bishop.

I think he's fine though..... thin-skin is never good though, as I try to teach my kids. Have thick skin.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
And we are going to beleive what the press is saying? They have never seemed to embelish the truth ever before have they? They have never twisted someones words ever have they?

At least he didn't pull a Jay Cuntler and go on camera and call out his fellow offensive players as to why a failure happened. That is why I say: If you didnt see him say it on camera where there is no doubt of what he said, then I tend to not beleive what the press puts on paper......they are social demons looking to stir any pot they can.

And for what he said about the rookies at training camp not playing up to a certain level, GOOD FOR HIM, maybe it was meant to motivate their butts. Telling the rookies or practice teams guys to "step it up" is never a bad thing, nor an excuse, I would be taking that as a veteran leader telling me to get my *** in high gear and play like I mean it.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble when it comes to A-Rod, nor do I have ANY idea of what the players in the locker room think of him as a leader. But on a personal level I have run into A-Rod more than once around the city and I can tell you the times I have seen him he does carry a sort of Diva attitude with him. He's not approachable type, almost seemingly unaware of others existence, has his own private area in bars around town... I have seen him more than once deny little children an autograph, yet stand talking to cute women for 5-10 minutes.

These of course were over the course of the last 5 or so years not all this past year. And I can't blame him, but at the same time do I have some belief that these things are not completely blown out of proportion. Not that I believe all the claims, but i do believe they "could" be true.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers have problems but among them is not their starting QB. He’s their most important player by far and a main reason for optimism over the next several seasons. But of course Rodgers isn’t perfect: I would prefer he not make snide remarks about reporters and I’d prefer he would have respectfully addressed the media after the loss in SF. I would also prefer he refrain from playing GM and advocating for one player or another.

I’ve heard him take responsibility for mistakes on his weekly radio show so the critique from Finley’s agent rings hollow. Not only that but consider the likely source: I’ll bet 99 times out of 100 any mistake between Rodgers and Finley has been the immature Finley’s fault. In fact because Rodgers is very bright and dedicated I’ll bet the vast majority of times there’s a screw up on offense, it is someone else’s fault. And regarding Sharpe’s comment about how well the receivers like Rodgers: First I don’t care and second, the source of that is probably Finley or Jennings and Jennings may be upset Rodgers hasn’t gone to bat for him as he did for Jones and now Woodson. (That’s one of the reasons I’d prefer he leave the ‘GMing’ to the GM.) And whether or not being a great QB = being a great person? Are you f’ing kidding me!? First, again I don’t care. Second is Sharpe saying he is a great person and can therefore judge the greatness of others? Or is his source that great person? Adding that comment is the tip off to me that Sharpe and his source are full of it. And Jennings’ sister? Her idiotic comments just serve to confirm the likely source of the discontent among the WRs.

I would also prefer Rodgers leave the coaching to the coaches but regarding Cobb and EDS, I think he was right. The play of EDS was certainly better than Saturday’s. Also, I’m sure some would prefer he would have not answered the question about that botched punt return against the Bears, but I don’t mind him pointing out the obvious. He’d look foolish saying anything else. As I said he’s not perfect but being “too honest” is a fault I’m happy to live with.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest here:
Star QB's often have some imput regarding personnel that other players do not.
It's the same in basketball for the superstar players.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Can't say I have ever met Arod personally, nor can I speak for his off field character. I do know that if I was a sports star / celebrity, I would want to be treated like a regular person once in a while. Imagine if every time you just wanted to go out for a beer and a burger you got mobbed by people, stared at by onlookers and consistantly bothered by any media in the area....or followed around by the media. I personally would pull a russell crow and punch out a reporter. I know that you have to learn to deal with all the hype that comes along with stardom, but how can you blame some guy for getting sick of it from time to time? You can't just be some sort of shut in type person and never leave the comforts of home, guys want to go out and feel normal once in a while without being hasseled. I would enjoy the love from the fans indeed, but to be hounded to death would get under my skin eventually.

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I know that you have to learn to deal with all the hype that comes along with stardom, but how can you blame some guy for getting sick of it from time to time? You can't just be some sort of shut in type person and never leave the comforts of home, guys want to go out and feel normal once in a while without being hasseled. I would enjoy the love from the fans indeed, but to be hounded to death would get under my skin eventually."
I am with you Oshkosh, I couldn't handle that kind of scrutiny day and night. I would break too. As for the Article there has been many examples of Rodgers quirky sense of humor. I laugh at the thought, but Rodgers isn't Favre the party animal "Mississipi" lol.
Short and skinny, I recognize the Green Bay Packers have an image, and being QB makes him the face of the team. As long as he isn't beating his wife, kicking the dog, molesting children, who truly cares? I think only the people who see him as a commodity and not a person.

"How is it that Receivers with what amounts to Duct Tape on their hands can't catch a football??"

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't say I have ever met Arod personally, nor can I speak for his off field character. I do know that if I was a sports star / celebrity, I would want to be treated like a regular person once in a while. Imagine if every time you just wanted to go out for a beer and a burger you got mobbed by people, stared at by onlookers and consistantly bothered by any media in the area....or followed around by the media. I personally would pull a russell crow and punch out a reporter. I know that you have to learn to deal with all the hype that comes along with stardom, but how can you blame some guy for getting sick of it from time to time? You can't just be some sort of shut in type person and never leave the comforts of home, guys want to go out and feel normal once in a while without being hasseled. I would enjoy the love from the fans indeed, but to be hounded to death would get under my skin eventually.

Nobody made him play football, he could have pursued a legal career or being a doctor. Im sorry but I DO NOT feel bad for a man who cannot take 5 seconds out of his life to sign an autograph for a 5 year old. But can't smooze with a ***** blonde who is all over him for 10 minutes. He has his own home to go to for peace, along with the private clubs and the money to fund jets to take him anywhere in the world. Poor Aaron Rodgers...

His celebrity status works both ways and he has no problem using the woman appeal side of it, but is too busy for a kid... Arod is the man at quarterback, but there is no question from my experiences with him that he isnt nearly role model for young childern outside of the football field.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Nobody made him play football, he could have pursued a legal career or being a doctor. Im sorry but I DO NOT feel bad for a man who cannot take 5 seconds out of his life to sign an autograph for a 5 year old. But can't smooze with a ***** blonde who is all over him for 10 minutes. He has his own home to go to for peace, along with the private clubs and the money to fund jets to take him anywhere in the world. Poor Aaron Rodgers...

His celebrity status works both ways and he has no problem using the woman appeal side of it, but is too busy for a kid... Arod is the man at quarterback, but there is no question from my experiences with him that he isnt nearly role model for young childern outside of the football field.

The problem with what you are saying is this: You say he can't take 5 seconds for an autograph, but you sign 1, 2 , 3 ,4......and then a mob forms and you will be there all damn day. That's the way people are, you give them an inch and they try to take a foot. The kids thing.....lol....most kids wont even know who Arod is in street clothes and go up to him on their own accord and ask for an autograph or a pic with him, most kids are prompted to go up to him by a parent, basically using the kid as a pawn for their own wants...simply using the idea that most people can't or wont refuse a kid. Now, if there is a designated "meet and greet" event where he is there for the specific purpose to sign posters and take fan pics, which he has done, he looks to be very considerate and friendly....just don't say to him " thought you would be taller" and you will be good to go.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with what you are saying is this: You say he can't take 5 seconds for an autograph, but you sign 1, 2 , 3 ,4......and then a mob forms and you will be there all damn day. That's the way people are, you give them an inch and they try to take a foot. The kids thing.....lol....most kids wont even know who Arod is in street clothes and go up to him on their own accord and ask for an autograph or a pic with him, most kids are prompted to go up to him by a parent, basically using the kid as a pawn for their own wants...simply using the idea that most people can't or wont refuse a kid. Now, if there is a designated "meet and greet" event where he is there for the specific purpose to sign posters and take fan pics, which he has done, he looks to be very considerate and friendly....just don't say to him " thought you would be taller" and you will be good to go.

No doubt things can get out of hand quickly, but I think my main point was that this is part of the job he chose under his own will. Why do kids grow up to want to be quarterbacks in the NFL.... Money, fame, woman... Crowds of people yelling your name.

And I doubt he will have any problem spending the money that the millions of fans of him and the team, or to take out time from his busy life for a good looking women... But the child is too much? And don't get me wrong I am not condemning him for doing so, I am a man as well I get it... But lets not all act like he is the person that he puts forward in the media light, no one is perfect and that includes A-rod.

And like I said, this is all personal experience and may have absolutely no reflection on him as a person. Just my small vantage point of him. All was saying is that I could definitely detect a little "I run this damn thing" type of attitude to him

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you dedicated at what you do? Does it irk you when others that are supposed to be desiccated to the same are not? Do you take responsibility for that and employ methods of ascending severity in order to get the best out of those around you? That's leadership. And that's what I see Rodgers doing.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble when it comes to A-Rod, nor do I have ANY idea of what the players in the locker room think of him as a leader. But on a personal level I have run into A-Rod more than once around the city and I can tell you the times I have seen him he does carry a sort of Diva attitude with him. He's not approachable type, almost seemingly unaware of others existence, has his own private area in bars around town... I have seen him more than once deny little children an autograph, yet stand talking to cute women for 5-10 minutes.

These of course were over the course of the last 5 or so years not all this past year. And I can't blame him, but at the same time do I have some belief that these things are not completely blown out of proportion. Not that I believe all the claims, but i do believe they "could" be true.

Maybe he learned too well from Favre? ;)

btw, I see no problem liking ***** blondes. :D

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, we better hope Rodgers doesn't end up with Farve's diva attitude. If others are already noticing Rodgers rather annoying snarky comments, than why not believe them? He certainly cost us the 49ers 2012 playoff game with his interception AND 2011 Giants playoff game (and 2009 Cardinal game).

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, we better hope Rodgers doesn't end up with Farve's diva attitude. If others are already noticing Rodgers rather annoying snark comments, than why not believe them? He certainly cost us the 49ers 2012 playoff game with his interception AND 2011 Giants playoff game (and 2009 Cardinal game).

You really believe he cost us the 2011 Giants game? We kind of sucked all the way around as I remember. And our defense was pretty poor in the 49ers game. We were outplayed in both games, on all fronts.

Gopackgo520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt things can get out of hand quickly, but I think my main point was that this is part of the job he chose under his own will. Why do kids grow up to want to be quarterbacks in the NFL.... Money, fame, woman... Crowds of people yelling your name.

And I doubt he will have any problem spending the money that the millions of fans of him and the team, or to take out time from his busy life for a good looking women... But the child is too much? And don't get me wrong I am not condemning him for doing so, I am a man as well I get it... But lets not all act like he is the person that he puts forward in the media light, no one is perfect and that includes A-rod.

And like I said, this is all personal experience and may have absolutely no reflection on him as a person. Just my small vantage point of him. All was saying is that I could definitely detect a little "I run this damn thing" type of attitude to him

I'm sure every Other NFL player on every other NFL teams signs an autograph for every 5 year old they run into... Sarcasm
The reason this has become a story and for his annoyance of the media, all starts with that 60 minutes piece. When they chose to edit it to make Rodgers look thin skinned with the whole height bit. CBS completely disregarded the work that Aaron Rodgers does with the MACC fund. Also, IMO, athletes could sign 1,000 autographs for a thousand kids and the media would go on and on about the 1,001 kid who didn't get an autograph....

Gopackgo520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, we better hope Rodgers doesn't end up with Farve's diva attitude. If others are already noticing Rodgers rather annoying snark comments, than why not believe them? He certainly cost us the 49ers 2012 playoff game with his interception AND 2011 Giants playoff game (and 2009 Cardinal game).

Lol and he had nothing to do with the 2010 Super Bowl' as that was all about the defense...

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[sarcasm]Yeah Rodgers performance is already going downhill. Sure, he has the highest QB rating (again . . . yawn) but he did throw uh . . . one interception in the last game and 8 MORE in the rest of the season, UP FROM 6 LAST YEAR! That is Favre-like for sure. And the snarki-ness is really getting out of hand - not leadership-like at all. Authorities like Finley's agent and Shannon Sharpe know . . . [/sarcasm]

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest here:
Star QB's often have some imput regarding personnel that other players do not.
It's the same in basketball for the superstar players.
I would modify that statement by stating that star QBs and other superstar players think/believe that they have some input regarding personnel decisions.

I'm sure that some GMs welcome the feedback and input in general, but I'd jump out of my socks if one of them actually appreciated those superstars doing it publicly and/or felt that it had any benefit for the team. At best it confirms a decision that could have been handled internally, at worst it forces the GM to bow to superstar/public opinion. Fans and players often only think in the short term, while good GMs tend to be mostly focused on the long term.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Rodgers i am starting to feel he is a front runner type QB That isn't to say he isn't great. Now this might not be all his doing, the defence has let this team down on a number of occasions but I look at 2011 against the Giants. He and the offence looked terrible and were gifted 2 TDs from the refs on some bad calls. But I think i put that more on McCarthy for resting him after looking terrible against the Chiefs. the offence was rusty and couldn't really shake it off.

In my opinion he has regressed, now don't get all upity , hear me out. He just doesn't seem to be on the same page as anyone else sometimes, his passes aren't as accurate, seems to force the ball downfield when he should just move the chains, in a few games i watched he tried way too hard to get Cobb the ball almost forcing it to him on some occasions. but then again this could all come back to McCarthy for failing to run the ball and help Rodgers out in the passing game.

This isn't the first time his leadership has been talked about and where there is smoke there is fire. 2010 was a long time ago now, what has changed all that much for this to become a topic of conversation? Other than the not winning part.

Members online

Latest posts