Rodgers is the problem

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't even understand the posts here. Obviously Rodgers is past him prime, let's trade him for a proven winner like Brady. Oh wait, he's not won one in awhile. Let's trade Benson for..... oh wait, nobody wanted him as a free agent so no takers. Let's trade Jennings for.... oh crap - everybody who has an elite receiver wants to keep them. Hmmmm, Clay for? Raji for? Woodson for?
Not gonna happen folks, enjoy the 2012 Packers for who they are. I keep wondering where all this trading ideas come from. It doesn't happen in the NFL anymore.
There's nothing wrong with this team that some time, cohesion and coaching won't solve. Besides, you're cashing in the season this early?
Glad I don't work for you. Does "reactionary" mean anything to you?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If last year is any indication, the team wins if Aaron Rogers plays out of his mind. If he's only very good, we struggle. So maybe the surrounding cast needs to be upgraded--either in personnel or in effort. Effort would be a good place to start.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing: We are now 2 and 4 since Philbin left. I think it was he who turned the o-line around at the end of 2010 when we made the Championship run. Campen hasn't done much to improve things, imo.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing: We are now 2 and 4 since Philbin left. I think it was he who turned the o-line around at the end of 2010 when we made the Championship run. Campen hasn't done much to improve things, imo.
I would 100% agree with that if the Dolphins had a winning record instead.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if the Dolphins had the roster the Packers have, they might be at the top of their division--who knows? I like McCarthy, but I think his offensive line should be better now in his 5th year. If it's not the players, maybe it's the coaching. Many of us were saying the same thing after we lost to the Lions and looked to be out of the playoffs in 2010; then the line turned around and played great. Same thing has to happen if we're going to salvage the season.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone forgotten we were 4-4 and snagged a wildcard spot a few years back?

If this team goes 2-4, which it likely will, it will be an embarrassment to the players and organization considering their wealth of talent. It is only a matter of time before the fire gets hot under their seats and they get themselves in gear.

Could it be a long season? Absolutely, but until the o-line is able to protect Rodgers (keep in mind when he is not sacked he puts up big numbers, NO, Indy 1st half), and until the defense isn't playing the whole 60 minutes of the game, things won't change. Hopefully the right adjustments will be made. I have faith in McCarthy. I think we should start to panic if it is week 7 and we are walking out at 2-5. If that is the case I would say when is April.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that Green Bay scored 27 points. 27 points should be enough to win many games. Are you all sure the problem is the Quarterback? Or do you expect the Packers to score 54 every game?
No, but it would be nice to score a bit more than 6 in the second half...

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not having a screen pass play in your playbook - that's the problem. Your receivers either can't get open or drop passes (especially that #88 guy). Your O-line is allowing sacks and pressures. Your QB is holding the ball too long. Your running game went south when your featured back got injured. What do you do? Screen pass to Cobb, or Green, or??? Not if that play isn't in your playbook any more!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense problems also stem from the other teams catching up with GB's plan and McCarthy not being able to adapt to it. He did put a full-house backfield in for a couple of plays and they gained yardage. But quickly it was back to "pass-pass-pass".
The opposing defenses are also taking away the slant routes that destroyed teams last year.
Anyone who criticizes Aaron Rodgers for anything on the field is a wingnut, plain and simple. The guy is among the elite QB's in the league. Would you rather have Tim Tebow?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The o-line stinks and MM has to try to stay away from those long developing pass plays...Rogers doesn't consistently have the time to do that so why keep trying MM? why? teams are taking away the slant because that is our bread and butter play but we have an elite qb so we don't win or loose games based on how many times we connect on the slant....... we win or loose based on scheme,personel packages, and adjustments. You have to be able to find the opponents weakness and take advantage of it until they are forced to adjust and then you adjust accordingly.

Indy could not get to #12 in the first half and he was on pace to drop 40 point's but they ADJUSTED!!! MM did not, plain and simple. Once the o-line showed they couldn't block anybody then he should have ran some screens and draws... but no he did not take ADVANTAGE of their aggressiveness which any smart coach would do. MM is a smart coach but he seems to stubborn to make the necessary adjustments at the most crucial times which he gets alot of heat for and well deserved.

When Benson went down we whould have used Kuhn running the ball more to keep us out of the 3rd and longs and mixed in Green with some screens and draws with a little more Randle Cobb running that jet sweep play he runs so well. Gotta make adjustments to try to win the game smh.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponder is looking like the best qb in the NFC north right now
Rodgers a decent 2nd
The key tidbit of this is "right now". Nobody would trade Rogers for Ponder, unless maybe a knowledgeable Vikings fan.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not having a screen pass play in your playbook - that's the problem. Your receivers either can't get open or drop passes (especially that #88 guy). Your O-line is allowing sacks and pressures. Your QB is holding the ball too long. Your running game went south when your featured back got injured. What do you do? Screen pass to Cobb, or Green, or??? Not if that play isn't in your playbook any more!

We tried a screen play once in the Colts game and it worked so well we didn't try it again.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who criticizes Aaron Rodgers for anything on the field is a wingnut, plain and simple.
So because he is great, that means he cannot screw up? Is that your basic point there?
Or is it that when he does screw up, he must be immune to criticism for it?
Which is it?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers doesn't get a pass from me. Sometimes he can hold the ball a little to long and he's done that before in the past. Can't revert back to bad habits when you have a struggling o-line. Even with all that being said we praise the guy for being able to make plays by extending the play so you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. It's not his job to make adjustments it's the coach's....his job is to go out and execute the gameplan.

Hello....You play to win the game!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Indy could not get to #12 in the first half and he was on pace to drop 40 point's but they ADJUSTED!!!

According to Jones, the colts did NOTHING different...He said it was the off players that didnt execute

but if you think they did adjust...What did they do different?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Jones, the colts did NOTHING different...He said it was the off players that didnt execute

but if you think they did adjust...What did they do different?

Well from what i read they went to more bump and run and being physical with our wr's at the line of scrimmage.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
We tried a screen play once in the Colts game and it worked so well we didn't try it again.

I noticed the same thing.

Also, try using Cobb a few times out of the back field. Both times he has touched the ball out of the backfield this year he only went for 20+ yards. Someone on this forum mentioned that it would be unwise to run Cobb out of the backfield too much as he is "not built for being a RB". Ok, maybe he shouldn't get 30 touches a game-- but, how about more than twice in five games? Or, at least until he is proven to not be very effective?

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
It seemed like Rodgers was developing pocket presence last year but this year he don't seem to feel the pressure. He hangs on to the ball too long sometimes, I believe because he don't sense the rush from his blind side.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed like Rodgers was developing pocket presence last year but this year he don't seem to feel the pressure. He hangs on to the ball too long sometimes, I believe because he don't sense the rush from his blind side.
First, he has no time in the "pocket", which is nonexistent. Second, the other team collapses our "pocket" usually with 3 rushers, leaving 8 to cover 4 or 5 receivers--one of the reasons there's nobody getting open. Third, he is scrambling trying to make a play because of #1 and #2. Sometimes that means he holds on to the ball too long; sometimes he makes a play. He rarely throws it up for grabs, which is a sure killer if intercepted.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody know what is a good "counter offense" for physical bump and run secondaries?

Theres not really one...it's up to the wr's to be able to win those one on ones and get off the bump. If you can pick up some big chunks of yardage that will make a db less likely to want to bump you at the line because he can't. We can't win the 1 on 1's like we used to.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Does anybody know what is a good "counter offense" for physical bump and run secondaries?

All it takes is one DB to miss his "bump" and the WR can get behind him. But, either our WRs aren't making this happen or, when they do, Rodgers is already flat on his back.

Members online

Latest posts