Rodgers is NOT the problem

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically, even being a Dan Marino fan, I'm not a stats guy at all, and Marino shattered all of them. IMO, to truly evaluate a QB, you have to watch every play or it is not efficient. I don't do stats. No offense to the stat guys out there, I love ya. But I am being honest. You have to actually watch every play to get full knowledge. Stats mislead frequently.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And, there's the argument about whether one is talking about the best passer or the best QB.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment was directed at the Marino reference before it, and bringing in the SB win obviously eliminates him.

If your evaluation is about Rodgers, then I have two questions - one, over what timeframe is he considered the best and two, by whom?

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Marino and Aaron Rodgers are the only 2 QB's in NFL history that can literally do anything they want at any time in any given situation, imo. No data to back it up. I can tell you that for some weird reason I have an uncanny ability to evaluate QB play. I just do. I've never been wrong. Ever. Those 2 are the best ever I am sure of, just my opinion only though.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew it the day he beat USC. Wasn't even a great game for him. IDK why, i just knew it. I was not alone btw. I mean it was common knowledge that the the 49ers were going to take Aaron Rodgers #1 for an awfully long time up until some idiot in their organization thought it was a great idea to draft Alex Smith. LOL

When I knew the 9ers were taking Smith I was all in for Rodgers at that point. Could't believe we were actually going to get him. Then we didn't. That's what happened.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew Dan Marino was amazing when he played for Pitt against my Mountaineers. I was like, "Who the hell is that guy? Wow". And that's how I became a Dan Marino and Miami Dolphins fan. I FIRED them lol. Seriously I did. Now, as I always was, I am an Aaron Rodgers fan and a Packers fan. I want to win it all next year. Let's Do It.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Marino and Aaron Rodgers are the only 2 QB's in NFL history that can literally do anything they want at any time in any given situation, imo. No data to back it up. I can tell you that for some weird reason I have an uncanny ability to evaluate QB play. I just do. I've never been wrong. Ever. Those 2 are the best ever I am sure of, just my opinion only though.
Wish I would have had the chance to watch Marino. And I agree on Rodgers. Big Ben blew me away in college with his ability to hit receivers 50 yards down the field with ease, but Rodgers seemed like such a polished passer. Making all of the difficult throws you would expect a great NFL QB to make. I see some talented QBs in college now, but I guess it was how he delivered the balls with such pizzazz and accuracy that wowed me.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to all of Marino's home games for over 10 years living in Boca Raton taking the tri-rail every game with my father. Those memories are some of the finest of my life. I mean, you NEVER thought you were out of the game with Dan Marino. Always some way he could pull it off. I feel that way about Aaron Rodgers now. And I like it, and so my does my son.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not very good at quoting for some reason too lol. It doesn't show up. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And recognizing the opportunity at any given moment in a nanosecond. That is what they deliver.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Dan Marino and Aaron Rodgers are the only 2 QB's in NFL history that can literally do anything they want at any time in any given situation, imo.
No, they literally couldn’t and can’t. If they literally could, neither of them would have ever lost a game because every pass would hit the most open receiver perfectly in stride on the hands on every passing play. Did you get a chance to watch every play of this Packers season? If you did you saw Rodgers underthrow and overthrow receivers like never before. Rodgers is a great QB, a future HOF QB, no need to pretend he's more than he is.
I can tell you that for some weird reason I have an uncanny ability to evaluate QB play. I just do. I've never been wrong. Ever.
Hindsight is great, isn't it? Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion on who the best two QBs in NFL history but IMO what your wrote is BS. And I type that because I have an uncanny ability to call BS on any human who says they’ve never been wrong about any subject. Ever. But stick around for the next 5-10 seasons and evaluate every QB coming into the draft and show us how you're never wrong.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, they literally couldn’t and can’t. If they literally could, neither of them would have ever lost a game because every pass would hit the most open receiver perfectly in stride on the hands on every passing play. Did you get a chance to watch every play of this Packers season? If you did you saw Rodgers underthrow and overthrow receivers like never before. Rodgers is a great QB, a future HOF QB, no need to pretend he's more than he is. Hindsight is great, isn't it? Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion on who the best two QBs in NFL history but IMO what your wrote is BS. And I type that because I have an uncanny ability to call BS on any human who says they’ve never been wrong about any subject. Ever. But stick around for the next 5-10 seasons and evaluate every QB coming into the draft and show us how you're never wrong.
Nobody is as good as he was describing. But continuing to criticize his performance this year is getting old. No QB has ever been successful while taking that type of abuse. He's been sacked that many times in a season before, but never as much as he was after the Bye week. You could tell he was shaken up, hearing footsteps, and unable to be comfortable in the pocket. No future HOF QB should have to put up with that crap at his age, there are many other people who need to get their crap together before Rodgers is able to.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean it was common knowledge that the the 49ers were going to take Aaron Rodgers #1 for an awfully long time up until some idiot in their organization thought it was a great idea to draft Alex Smith. LOL.

Just saying that McCarthy was one of those idiots (according to you) as the Niners offensive coordinator at that time who was in favor of drafting Alex Smith. At the time of the 2005 draft it wasn't that obvious Rodgers would turn into an elite QB and the Packers coaching staff deserves a ton of credit for perfecting his mechanics.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is as good as he was describing. But continuing to criticize his performance this year is getting old. No QB has ever been successful while taking that type of abuse. He's been sacked that many times in a season before, but never as much as he was after the Bye week. You could tell he was shaken up, hearing footsteps, and unable to be comfortable in the pocket. No future HOF QB should have to put up with that crap at his age, there are many other people who need to get their crap together before Rodgers is able to.

I believe this was a big part of his issues. His mechanics and decision making were clearly well below his established standards.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody else on the planet could have made that last throw against the Cardinals. Dan Marino in his prime is the only other. Does anybody want to debate that?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a die hard Packer fan but some of these comments are ridiculous imo. Rodgers is not the greatest QB of all time. While that throw was amazing; it is not those throws that win championships. It is what happens during the entire game, especially in the whole 4th quarter. Maybe he will end up being the greatest but McCarthy will need to call better games and get a better O line. One that can protect him and run block.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody else on the planet could have made that last throw against the Cardinals. Dan Marino in his prime is the only other. Does anybody want to debate that?
Pre-dog fight Michael Vick? Brett Favre (see bomb to Sharpe vs Detroit) Fran Tarkenton? Vikings had someone else in that era that could really launch the ball but the name escapes me.
Found it-- 2nd play
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Nobody is as good as he was describing. But continuing to criticize his performance this year is getting old. No QB has ever been successful while taking that type of abuse. He's been sacked that many times in a season before, but never as much as he was after the Bye week.
The first sentence was my point. Do you think continuing to criticize Rodgers is getting old but criticizing everyone else in the organization is OK? If so, I disagree. It seems to me those of us criticizing Rodgers are only saying he was part of the problem and I stick by that because that’s what I saw, even if it’s “getting old”.

After the bye Rodgers was sacked on average 3.5 times per game. He has been sacked more – in 2009 and 2012 and over stretches of games sacked more than he was after the bye this season (in the first 5 games of 2012 he was sacked 4.2 times per game and didn’t have as low a rating as he did in games this year). But don’t get me wrong: IMO Rodgers was partly to blame but not the biggest problem on offense this season. I put the play of the OL and receivers as well as the inability of the coaching staff to adjust routes ahead of Rodgers’ problems. This is from McGinn’s player report card:
… But when the schedule stiffened in Game 7, Rodgers didn't respond. Almost all those beautiful throws of the past disappeared. His deep-ball accuracy, once a strength, went south, too. Ten of the 48 sacks were his fault. He became less willing to stand in and take a hit to deliver the ball. Instead, he began bolting the pocket prematurely, extending plays when they didn't need to be extended. Often times, he made quick throws off his back foot using all arm.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-offense-b99656526z1-366333791.html
There a lot of people who would debate that. Here’s a list of the 10 strongest NFL arms from September of 2014 that lists Stafford, Cutler, and Flacco ahead of Rodgers. BTW, Ron Jaworski, who knows football, the NFL, and particularly QBs better than anyone here “often said the Ravens QB boasts the league’s best arm…”
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-stafford-leads-list-of-top-10-strongest-arms

This list has Rodgers at #6 with Stafford, Cutler, and Flacco – among others ahead of him.
http://www.sportsbreak.com/nfl/10-strongest-quarterback-arms-in-the-nfl-today/

Rodgers is #4 in this list. Stafford is #1, Flacco is second (the person who created the list said he saw Flacco throw the ball over 80 yards in a contest), and Cutler is third. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v

This is the Bleacher Report’s Power Ranking the Arm Strength of all 32 QBs from 2012 that has Rodgers #1.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266536-power-ranking-the-arm-strength-of-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs

It looks to me like Stafford, Flacco, and Cutler are in the running for strongest arm in the league. But I don’t really care, I just bring this up to point out again how, in gopkrs’ words, ridiculous your comments on Rodgers are. Rodgers is a great QB, but he isn't other-worldly.

Nothing in this post contradicts my opinion that Rodgers is a great QB, and a future HOF QB. But he’s not perfect and unfortunately this season has been the “best” example of that. If Thompson and staff can shore up the OL and the receivers return to health, I expect him to rebound big time next season.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first sentence was my point. Do you think continuing to criticize Rodgers is getting old but criticizing everyone else in the organization is OK? If so, I disagree. It seems to me those of us criticizing Rodgers are only saying he was part of the problem and I stick by that because that’s what I saw, even if it’s “getting old”.

After the bye Rodgers was sacked on average 3.5 times per game. He has been sacked more – in 2009 and 2012 and over stretches of games sacked more than he was after the bye this season (in the first 5 games of 2012 he was sacked 4.2 times per game and didn’t have as low a rating as he did in games this year). But don’t get me wrong: IMO Rodgers was partly to blame but not the biggest problem on offense this season. I put the play of the OL and receivers as well as the inability of the coaching staff to adjust routes ahead of Rodgers’ problems. This is from McGinn’s player report card:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-offense-b99656526z1-366333791.html There a lot of people who would debate that. Here’s a list of the 10 strongest NFL arms from September of 2014 that lists Stafford, Cutler, and Flacco ahead of Rodgers. BTW, Ron Jaworski, who knows football, the NFL, and particularly QBs better than anyone here “often said the Ravens QB boasts the league’s best arm…”
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-stafford-leads-list-of-top-10-strongest-arms

This list has Rodgers at #6 with Stafford, Cutler, and Flacco – among others ahead of him.
http://www.sportsbreak.com/nfl/10-strongest-quarterback-arms-in-the-nfl-today/

Rodgers is #4 in this list. Stafford is #1, Flacco is second (the person who created the list said he saw Flacco throw the ball over 80 yards in a contest), and Cutler is third. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v

This is the Bleacher Report’s Power Ranking the Arm Strength of all 32 QBs from 2012 that has Rodgers #1.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266536-power-ranking-the-arm-strength-of-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs

It looks to me like Stafford, Flacco, and Cutler are in the running for strongest arm in the league. But I don’t really care, I just bring this up to point out again how, in gopkrs’ words, ridiculous your comments on Rodgers are. Rodgers is a great QB, but he isn't other-worldly.

Nothing in this post contradicts my opinion that Rodgers is a great QB, and a future HOF QB. But he’s not perfect and unfortunately this season has been the “best” example of that. If Thompson and staff can shore up the OL and the receivers return to health, I expect him to rebound big time next season.
It all starts at the top. They looked sloppy every single game, and nobody was on the same page. Rodgers wasn't himself, but every other position was equally bad, if not worse.

Unless we can resuscitate the 2010 defense, we need a better offensive mind who can do simple things like adjust his offense to be able to beat man coverage. I've never seen such stubborn play calling as I have this year.

Members online

Latest posts