Rodgers has not been reassured that he "won't be traded"...

Reaction score
Rodgers said when reached on his cell phone that he had been advised not to comment. But Rodgers did say no one from the Packers called him Thursday to reassure him he was not going to be traded, and that the only calls he received were from "interested friends."

Wisconsin State Journal Article

Yet another turn in the saga. Obviously TT is not interested in details leaking out, especially after today's "done deal/not done deal" fiasco.

I really find it interesting that no one (TT/MM) has called Rodgers to assure him he won't be traded. By the way TT went on his press conference to announce Favre was coming back, it seemed as if he and McCarthy both went out of there way to make sure Rodgers knew he was still in their plans.

Yet nothing similar this time around. Also, as kmac said Florio of PFT.com may be a douce, but he isn't one to report random things, especially over and over again in sayin Rodgers is being discussed as part of a package.

I was sure before hand Rodgers wouldn't be had. Now, I think it's more and more likely he'll be traded and Raiders will draft Calvin Johnson.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Rodgers has not been reassured that he "won't be traded"

While a move to a team like the Raiders can't be heart-warming, for Rodgers it's a promotion and a place where he can really have a chance to play. I believe his contract calls for a significant raise if he starts. I assume that the Raiders assume his contract when they trade for him. If so, it is probably a good deal for him. Besides, what does it mean if a coach tells a player he won't be traded? Not a darn thing!

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its good for everyone involved if A-Rod leaves. Even though i'd like to see us get more for him we are just wasting him on the bench. Now we need a decent backup qb, whos available.

Aaron gets his starting shot & Raiders replace Moss with C. Johnson
Moss comes to a team with a shot
We get to see Brett Favre for at least 2 more years :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
for a while the one source I have, told me and others that Ted did call Rodgers to re-assure him..

I asked him about an article like this and no reply..

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has a long shot of happening. Aaron makes 1.7 mil a year..if that. Moss makes 8-9 million. Even restructured..he would be at 4-5 mil.

It doesn't make cap sense to trade.
Also the Raiders won't take an unproven QB w/a broken foot.

OR WOULD THEY....?

Lane Kiffin has gone on record to say he was a big fan of Rodgers watching him perform well against his USC teams...

I'd welcome the trade for both parties if it were to happen. Moss would give Favre his deep threat, and Aaron gets to come back to the bay area w/a young coach and possibly get Calvin Johnson to throw too.

Both QBs would get what they want and get a deep threat.

My take on this is that, I think the packers realize Brett Favre might stick around a while and they'd be wasting Aaron away on the sideline and might as well trade him while he has some intrinsic value from his college days. The longer they wait, they more people will forget.

I hope it happens. IF it doesn't..he'll still do well in GB, but will have to wait a LONG time. IF he does go..he'll go to another west coast offense team and will plug right in.

The Raiders were in fact, going to draft Aaron Rodgers during
the 2004 draft.(they like to do this, and spite the 49ers who dangled Rodgers around the whole time...)

Davis wanted Rodgers (Davis is in constant contact
w/Jeff Tedford), but some of his advisors wanted Fabian Washington
and their need at corner was too great. This could be what he wanted all along.

Regarding Moss...I just hope you guys are right, and that Favre and the team will be able to handle to distractions of Moss and his baggage.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I would let Arron go is if this was Brett's last year. We will need someone who can step in right away and knows the offence. If not we will look like the Raiders do now come next year.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

for a while the one source I have, told me and others that Ted did call Rodgers to re-assure him..

im having a hard time following, could u help me out. thanks

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My goodness!! Rodgers got such a call last week.

How many reassuring phone calls does his fragile ego require??

What if he got one every day?? Would he believe them more??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan said:

im having a hard time following, could u help me out. thanks

That guy named skella on the other forum ( with favresoverated) said Ted call Rodgers..

And skella has never been wrong with info he has provided..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read where the Packers do not intend to trade Rodgers but will wait the Raiders out feeling they won't have to trade to get him.

The article said the Pack is intent to wait until the Raiders release him or reach the point of taking a mid round pick for him. This does make some sense since most of the other teams that showed an interest have now made some moves putting the Pack in a better position.

The ORIGINAL thought that it would probably end up taking a second or third round pick is coming back around. I just never could get my arms around Rodgers being in the mix.

Nothing there ever really clicked for me.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a trade happens I don't believe it'll be before Rodgers. Oakland seemed very impressed by Jamarcus Russell's pro day and Todd McShay even called it the best workout by a QB in 10 years. That includes Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer. I just don't see Al Davis passing on a talent like Russell. Russell has the strongest arm in all of Football right now. That includes pro and college.

For the sake of discussion though. I'd really like to see the Packers get Drew Stanton if they move Rodgers. Stanton has all the physical tools to be a solid NFL QB. He just needs the proper coaching and brought along for a year or two.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If a trade happens I don't believe it'll be before Rodgers. Oakland seemed very impressed by Jamarcus Russell's pro day and Todd McShay even called it the best workout by a QB in 10 years. That includes Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer. I just don't see Al Davis passing on a talent like Russell. Russell has the strongest arm in all of Football right now. That includes pro and college.

For the sake of discussion though. I'd really like to see the Packers get Drew Stanton if they move Rodgers. Stanton has all the physical tools to be a solid NFL QB. He just needs the proper coaching and brought along for a year or two.

It's funny because they called Alex Smith's pro day, "the best workout in 10 years"

Then they called Jay Cutler's pro day "the best workout in 10 years"

Now JaMarcus Russell's the lastest "best workout in 10 years"

Drew Stanton kinda has a lot of Rex Grossman in him

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:

It's funny because they called Alex Smith's pro day, "the best workout in 10 years"

Then they called Jay Cutler's pro day "the best workout in 10 years"

Now JaMarcus Russell's the lastest "best workout in 10 years"

Maybe the teams did when they drafted them but Cutler did not even get the highest grade in his draft class for a QB. Alex Smith didn't get all that much of a higher grade than Aaron Rodgers from a lot of scouts. Whoever made that assessment of those pro days are probably beat writers who have no idea what their talking about or were currently with the team that drafted the respective player you named. Todd McShay is as close to an "exper"t as anyone can fine. Ths is primary why I believe the Pack have no desire to trade Aaron Rodgers and why I believe the Raiders have no desire to trade for Aaron Rodgers.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
IMO A trade for Rodgers does make sense, for this reason only, it allows the Raiders to select Johnson with the first pick of the draft and also address there need for more talent at QB with Rodgers.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Drew Stanton got benched late in the year. He could not throw the ball in one game i remember. He would hand off or scramble every play. He is not an NFL quarterback.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Well I do remember reading on one of the draft sites (sorry can't remember which one) last year that Martin would be able to compete with Rodgers for the starting spot when Favre retired. That has to say something IMO, since Martin is not as experienced as Rodgers. I got the sense that Martin had good skills with some potential.

If TT and MM think that highly of Martin, they could be willing to trade Rodgers and draft a QB like Stanton or whoever this year as competition for Ingle. That is the only way I can see TT and MM letting Aaron go.

As for Rodgers, I wonder if he is excited by the rumours of him going to Oakland. He'd be the instant starter (penciled in at least) there, get a deep threat like Johnson, and be back in California.

As far as the Raiders go selecting Russell, I don't know how the top team could pass on a talent that is "Randy Moss without the character issues". Instant game changers (IMO CJ has the potential to be that) are few and far in between.

Pack93z

Reaction score
From PFTAlk.com.... for what it is worth... everything else in print is on the forum so I didn't want this to feel left out:)

POSTED 5:41 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 6:52 p.m. EDT, March 16, 2007

THOMPSON TELLING TEAM TO STIFLE

In response to reports that the Green Bay Packers are poised to trade backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers to the Oakland Raiders for receiver Randy Moss (and other terms), we're told that Green Bay G.M. Ted Thompson has put out the word to the team that folks should quit flapping their gums about the deal.

We've been reporting for weeks that the two sides are talking. As of Wednesday, we heard that the discussions hit a hitch regarding the conditional pick that would go to Oakland in 2008 based on Rodgers' performance in 2007.

On Thursday, Michael Felger of the Boston Herald reported that a deal was close. The Packers denied it, and Thompson called the report "wild speculation." (Personally, we prefer domesticated speculation.)

We still believe based on everything we've heard that it's a matter of when, not if. Quarterback Brett Favre has been pushing for this deal, and likely will continue to do so until it's done.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2803272

Despite the rumors of a trade that would include Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss, Green Bay officials are dismissing the talk, according to a published report.

"It's never been discussed inside the building or outside the building," Green Bay General Manager Ted Thompson told the Green Bay Press-Gazette when asked about the chances of a deal that would include Rodgers.

Rodgers was the Packers' first round pick (No. 24 overall) in the 2005 NFL draft and is expected to be Green Bay's quarterback of the future.

"I think [Aaron's] a very talented guy," Thompson said. "He's everything we thought of in terms of intelligence, and his physical ability, his ability to throw the ball. I like the way he handles himself around the team."

Last season, Rodgers completed six of 15 passes for 46 yards before breaking his left foot during a 35-0 loss to the New England Patriots on Nov. 19. Rodgers was placed on IR after the injury.

The former Cal QB is expected to back up veteran Brett Favre this season.

Pack93z

Reaction score
IMO, what else can he say at this point, until the deal is done it would be crazy for him to say anything. If a deal is in the works and would fall through, the confidence of Rodgers would take a blow, I don't know how secure of a person he is and if it would have an impact on him at all.

Second, who is to say that Oakland is holding it up to see how it can play its cards up until the very end. Someone that wants Russell or Johnson bad enough to offer the world to Oakland in a trade to move up.

The games that GM's and front offices play right now are so intense, who really knows unless someone leaks it or it gets officially anounced.

To me, this is postering.. that is my guess, wether Rodgers is being talked about or not, TT will hide his cards until it is time to show them.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO, what else can he say at this point, until the deal is done it would be crazy for him to say anything. If a deal is in the works and would fall through, the confidence of Rodgers would take a blow, I don't know how secure of a person he is and if it would have an impact on him at all.

Second, who is to say that Oakland is holding it up to see how it can play its cards up until the very end. Someone that wants Russell or Johnson bad enough to offer the world to Oakland in a trade to move up.

The games that GM's and front offices play right now are so intense, who really knows unless someone leaks it or it gets officially anounced.

To me, this is postering.. that is my guess, wether Rodgers is being talked about or not, TT will hide his cards until it is time to show them.

The Packers are not a team, that says one thing and does another. That's why. A lot of teams operate under secrecy, and then trade someone.
The packers don't do that. If they wanted to trade Aaron, they would tell him/agent that it were happening.

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Ted Thompson's 3rd season as GM and YES he is very secretive. They most likely have told Rodgers and his agent a trade is possibly coming but if they were to say something that would and could be considered tampering. That's why Rodgers said he was told not to say anything either way.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pack93z said:

The Packers are not a team, that says one thing and does another. That's why. A lot of teams operate under secrecy, and then trade someone.
The packers don't do that. If they wanted to trade Aaron, they would tell him/agent that it were happening.

Ted Thompson is a very secretive guy though. This is a different Packer era. With that said you are right that Rodgers would know what was going on. This whole Rodgers for Moss isn't happening. More likely to be a Defensive Lineman + a pick for Moss.

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ted Thompson is a very secretive guy though. This is a different Packer era. With that said you are right that Rodgers would know what was going on. This whole Rodgers for Moss isn't happening. More likely to be a Defensive Lineman + a pick for Moss.

Why is it more likely a defensive lineman??? From what I know the Raiders are in great shape on Defense it would have been more widely known had their offense not stunk so bad. Rodgers does know what is going and is not saying anything because he is not allowed to.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:

Why is it more likely a defensive lineman??? From what I know the Raiders are in great shape on Defense it would have been more widely known had their offense not stunk so bad. Rodgers does know what is going and is not saying anything because he is not allowed to.

According to some reports the Raiders are interested in Corey Williams or KGB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts