Rodgers for Vice President?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah critical thinking has kind of disappeared. And you don't say it, but I'm betting you're the kind of guy who would welcome a challenge, and change your point of view as needed. Just a guess.
I would like to say that's the case. Truthfully, at this stage of my life, I don't want to want to p*ss away my time in circuitous discussions... so, I just don't engage anymore.

Hey... my nephew is a State Trooper and got to meet and shake hands and exchange words with a sitting US President last week. As a Young Republican, I got within 30 yards of Ronald Reagan...anyway, my zoom lens told me it was 30 yards.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said he didn't try to do just that? In a situation like this, I think putting his name out there the North Valley Community Foundation’s Wildfire Relief and Recovery Fund raise more money. Basically, "if Aaron is giving, I am going to as well."

I understand a lot of peoples motivation for "giving" can be flipped and labeled "self-promoting tax strategy", but I don't feel that way about this donation.

He released a simple statement, never mentioned the money.

“With the help of my friends at the North Valley Community Foundation, I will always be committed to helping my beloved Northern California home areas. My heart goes out to the families and communities affected, and we will be deploying funds immediately to help those in need.”

Spot on! How do you get rich on the internet? "Disinformation". Pitch it to an audience that is starving for it and you got yourself a job! Ask Alex Jones, Rudy G, Mike Lindell, etc.

When you confront some of the conspiracy theorists with facts, their first response is "Fake News". Ummm, really? I guess I trust several News Sources, photos, video, eye witness reports, etc. than some ******* crackpot saying "Nobody was killed, it was a hoax!"
Yeah I have no problem with Rodgers making an announcement like this. And this isn't the way he tries to get attention. He did a good thing and I believe he's done stuff like this in the past. Good for him to remember where he came from.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my God, yes - you belted that one out of the park. Then, to the advent of the internet, add nearly every social media site (excepting this one, of course) and the fact that every purveyor of alternative truth has a "podcast" AND the fact that critical thinking is no longer encouraged in schools, nor so much as tolerated over the last few decades. I'm not talking full blown skepticism, I'm talking about the simple ability to recognize crap when you hear it.
I remember when I was a kid, or even as a younger adult, that when average people heard a piece of new information about some subject that they didn't know much about, their first reaction was to say, "Wow!! I never knew that!! That's so cool!" Now, it seems like 2 out of every 3 people's first reaction to some new discovery is automaticaly, "Oh, ********. I never heard of that before, so it can't possibly be true."

The internet has made hundreds of millions of people think they're experts on every single thing in the world. High school dropout who drives a cab decides that he knows more about science than people with 15 years of university education and muktiple PhDs because his "common sense" just tells him so. "Global warming? Sounds ridiculous. Way too complicated, obviously must be buillshit." "Moon landing? Impossible, because I don't understand calculus or trigonometry".

And I blame the internet. Thousands of crackpot bloggers just putting up radical content on controversial topics in order to attract lots of hits and generate ad revenue, deliberately posting copy that sparks a strong emotional reaction in people, and when gullible readers find that they decide it has to be true because the guy's a blogger so they must be smart - right?

Too many people have completely lost the ability to think for themselves and figure what's true and what isn'ty true anymore, and worst of all they don't want the ability back. They want to be told what to think by people who think the same way they do.

In a way, I can understand how it got to this point. The internet, and the "Age of Information", have bombarded us all with far more information that a human brain can sort out. There's way too much, coming at us way too fast, from way too many dorections. with no time in between to catch out breath and break it down. People are desperate for ways to make it simpler, and it doesn't get any simpler than just logging onto the internet and letting some stranger tell you what to think.

People want things simple, but it's not a simple world. It's a very complicated world. We've become a genuinely foolish society, and I don't see anything putting that toothpaste back in the tube.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I think you're right about the internet and instant access to information - the good and the bad - and how people feel ok to espouse nonsense. There is that saying - "if it's on the internet it must be true."

I often say the internet is an amazing invention that anyone in the world can use to make themselves as smart as they want to be - or as stupid as they want to be.

My wife's disabled; too sick to work an actual job, even an online job if it requires regular check-ins, communications, and Zoom meetings during business hours (which most do). But if she can just work when she's awake, and crash when she's sick, she can get a hell of a lot done.

She's a workaholic, an overachiever all her life before she got sick. So she used the internet to take online college courses. Over a period of several years, and building on college credits from before getting sick, she earned a 2-year certificaton in paralegal, another in accounting, 4 bachelor's degrees (1 in computer science, another in English), and 2 masters degrees (Public Health and Education).

She already owned 3 LLCs, and under one of them she started a business as an IT contractor and research consultant. It's worked out very well, and she's working on her 3rd masters' in computer science.

Our neighbor across the street uses the internet to study chemtrails. Apparently knows quite a lot about 'em, too. Truly fascinating; I never would have guessed there could be so much to it.

And I never get tired of cat videos, for whatever that's worth.

And it's going to get exponentially worse with AI. I'm kinda glad I'm not growing up in this age. That may sound like the complaint of an old man, and maybe it is.
It's an easier and more natural sort of observation for men of our age to articulate, because we were born far enough back in the old world to clearly remember it and make accurate comparisons between then and now. Mrs. Thirteen and I often say how lucky we feel now that she couldn't have children; I'd lie awake every night worrying about the world we're leaving them.

And AI scares the absolute hell out of both of us.

A year and a half ago, she landed a consulting gig with a major tech company, testing AI programs and evaluating them and their ability to learn and self-correct. I actually did a lot of work on it, because I could trick it into trying to adapt to different writing styles.

Technically, neither of us is supposed to know the actual client; it was gigged out through a third party shell company. But it wasn't hard to figure out and probably wouldn't be hard for y'all to guess.

We both came away from it badly shaken. We had no idea what AI was already capable of, and how good it is at quickly getting better.

And better.

And better.

Plus, because of the tasks we were directed to test it on, it didn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out some of the things this mystery tech firm is planning to do with it. There are probably tens of millions of people out there who have no idea how few years it's going to be before their jobs don't exist anymore. And never will again.

And, personal privacy? Thing of the past.

She and I spent weeks, maybe even months, in the wake of that gig completely reassessing our entire master plan for how we intended to live our last 20 years or so. Our entire view of the world ahead changed completely, and neither of us ever felt more powerless in our lives.

The tech firms say AI is the next big step forward for humanity; I think it's just going to be the next step forward for corporations. For the rest of the human race..... just a big step into a whole different world. But not necessarily forward.

I remember even when I was 6 or 7 years old, watching "The Jetsons", and seeing articles about how computers were going to do everything and nobody would ever have to work anymore. And even in the 1st Grade, I thought "How could grownups be so stupid? If nobody is working, what are they going to do for money? Are all the companies who use computers to do everything just going to mail out checks every week to everyone in America who doesn't have to work anymore?"

I thought it was the stupidest thing I ever heard. And I still do. But, grownups are still buying into it, although I admit it seems to be fewer every year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid, or even as a younger adult, that when average people heard a piece of new information about some subject that they didn't know much about, their first reaction was to say, "Wow!! I never knew that!! That's so cool!" Now, it seems like 2 out of every 3 people's first reaction to some new discovery is automaticaly, "Oh, ********. I never heard of that before, so it can't possibly be true."

The internet has made hundreds of millions of people think they're experts on every single thing in the world. High school dropout who drives a cab decides that he knows more about science than people with 15 years of university education and muktiple PhDs because his "common sense" just tells him so. "Global warming? Sounds ridiculous. Way too complicated, obviously must be buillshit." "Moon landing? Impossible, because I don't understand calculus or trigonometry".

And I blame the internet. Thousands of crackpot bloggers just putting up radical content on controversial topics in order to attract lots of hits and generate ad revenue, deliberately posting copy that sparks a strong emotional reaction in people, and when gullible readers find that they decide it has to be true because the guy's a blogger so they must be smart - right?

Too many people have completely lost the ability to think for themselves and figure what's true and what isn'ty true anymore, and worst of all they don't want the ability back. They want to be told what to think by people who think the same way they do.

In a way, I can understand how it got to this point. The internet, and the "Age of Information", have bombarded us all with far more information that a human brain can sort out. There's way too much, coming at us way too fast, from way too many dorections. with no time in between to catch out breath and break it down. People are desperate for ways to make it simpler, and it doesn't get any simpler than just logging onto the internet and letting some stranger tell you what to think.

People want things simple, but it's not a simple world. It's a very complicated world. We've become a genuinely foolish society, and I don't see anything putting that toothpaste back in the tube.
Many of those "Crackpots" are now working in Government positions. I noticed MTG got blown out of the water for a post about the age of I believe 10 or so of the signees to the Declaration of Independence. 7 of the 10 she named, didn't even sign it! So I did a "copy and paste" of her post, wondering who her source might of been. I am 99.9% sure that she copied from an Instagram account of a guy that is so far right, he could touch his own hand on the other side of the flat earth. So here we have a member of Congress, posting dribble like it is her own thoughts and she is getting them from some random poster on Instagram!

I don't mean to get political, because I am positive it happens on both sides of the aisle, but come on man!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of those "Crackpots" are now working in Government positions. I noticed MTG got blown out of the water for a post about the age of I believe 10 or so of the signees to the Declaration of Independence. 7 of the 10 she named, didn't even sign it! So I did a "copy and paste" of her post, wondering who her source might of been. I am 99.9% sure that she copied from an Instagram account of a guy that is so far right, he could touch his own hand on the other side of the flat earth. So here we have a member of Congress, posting dribble like it is her own thoughts and she is getting them from some random poster on Instagram!

I don't mean to get political, because I am positive it happens on both sides of the aisle, but come on man!
I'm so glad the next president can send Seal Team 6 to assassinate whoever he wants.:rolleyes:

Must be true because a SCOTUS member plus multiple congress critters and media heads said so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm so glad the next president can send Seal Team 6 to assassinate whoever he wants.:rolleyes:

Must be true because a SCOTUS member plus multiple congress critters and media heads said so.
Hell, if that's the case, the current sitting President should send Seal Team 6 to Marafarto!

Members online

Latest posts