Rodgers 'exceptional' despite McCarthy's play-calling

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=15321

Asked what he didn’t like about his play-calling, McCarthy was prepared to answer, if not share specifics.

“When you go back and watch the game last night, there’s calls that you don’t like.

I probably would’ve went a different direction earlier in the game.”

Take a peek into MM's mind on how he thinks of his play calling ( only a tid bit of information though)

Some may think that MM doesnt adjust at all during half time..Does this story address that? Read the entire article to find out

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did he adjust or didn't he? from reading this article i would say no. Troy aikman mentioned throughout the game the middle of the filed was wide open for the Packers to attack with cobb or whoever but we failed to really take advantage of that. I honestly don't know what MM was seeing because even i saw the oppertunity to get some big plays against that coveer 2 shell. This has to get exploited if teams are going to attack us that way on defense and not blitz.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So did he adjust or didn't he? from reading this article i would say no. Troy aikman mentioned throughout the game the middle of the filed was wide open for the Packers to attack with cobb or whoever but we failed to really take advantage of that. I honestly don't know what MM was seeing because even i saw the oppertunity to get some big plays against that coveer 2 shell. This has to get exploited if teams are going to attack us that way on defense and not blitz.

Yes Troy said it would be open, and YES we did do it...

90% sure Troy specifically mentioned the Packers seen it

May have been the Finley TD, but I know they took advantage once

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont forget, Detroit's front 4 are reallllly good..Need that type of line to make it work with out blitzing..What other team has a front four like that and not need to blitz?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont forget, Detroit's front 4 are reallllly good..Need that type of line to make it work with out blitzing..What other team has a front four like that and not need to blitz?

San Francisco, Chicago, and the New York giants:cautious: and guess what the fun part is?? we either play or will have to play each one of these three at least one more time on the road to New Orleans i guarantee you that....oh and Detroit one more time to.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
San Francisco, Chicago, and the New York giants:cautious:

One we already beat and we know how to play them

Another... we gave a beat down in their house, so we know our coaches can make the calls

3rd one.. is my only worry right now

Figure it out ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think that was a 'very good look at play calling' and I'm glad it isn't. McCarthy just admitted he had a bad game play-calling but the dumbest thing he could do is explain why for future opponents. I do think it had something to do with the pressure Detroit was able to apply, still I too think he should have attacked the middle of the field more. For example, last year they had great success throwing deep on a play in which they fake a run to the left and Rodgers takes a very deep drop right. Usually Kuhn is in front of him for protection. Jordy caught a few of those deep routes. It's just one play but after running the ball as often as they did against the Lions, I'd like to see them use it a couple of times across the middle to get the ball - 15 or so - yards downfield to Cobb, Nelson, or Finley on the run.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that was a 'very good look at play calling' and I'm glad it isn't..

I didnt know how to word it at all....I tried a few different ways and that was only one that made sense to me

Sorry I didnt live up to your expectations ;) :cry::geek:

So I fixed it :)

LOL

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think that was a 'very good look at play calling' and I'm glad it isn't. McCarthy just admitted he had a bad game play-calling but the dumbest thing he could do is explain why for future opponents. I do think it had something to do with the pressure Detroit was able to apply, still I too think he should have attacked the middle of the field more. For example, last year they had great success throwing deep on a play in which they fake a run to the left and Rodgers takes a very deep drop right. Usually Kuhn is in front of him for protection. Jordy caught a few of those deep routes. It's just one play but after running the ball as often as they did against the Lions, I'd like to see them use it a couple of times across the middle to get the ball - 15 or so - yards downfield to Cobb, Nelson, or Finley on the run.

Week after week we see teams using cover 2 to shut down the deep zones and/or press coverage to bust up timing. You don't even have to study film to know this offense has migrated over the past few years toward setting up the deep ball pitch-and-catch.

Take away what the a team is working toward and you've won half the battle. Opponents are having fairly good success protecting the deep zones...our yards per catch are way down and points are down this year, albeit from a very high level. Teams adjust.

McCarthy stays with the run to try to get the opponent to make some commitment to stopping it...get some running going, get that SS cheating into the box in run situations, then hit them with play action. We've run reasonably well between the tackles with Benson and now Starks, just not quite well enough to suck up the safety with any regularity. It just so happens Rodgers is good enough with the **** and dunk, money on intermediate throws, and big money in the red zone, to keep the train rolling.

The vulnerability in cover 2 is the short or intermediate middle based on the ILB's drop depth...the ILB is charged with covering a lot of ground in cover 2. Those throws also happen to be higher risk...from both an interception and injury standpoint. Comparing to a team like NO, they take shots down the field to set up attacking a soft middle; Brees is happy to slice and dice you underneath all day. It's a different offensive philosophy.

That said, it does not appear that we plan to exploit the middle as effectively as we could, when the opportunity presents itself. As noted previously, even the Finley TD this week was basically "broken play, on 2".

My observation of MM is that he's very good at making halftime adjustments. I don't have the stats ready to hand, but it seems to me our third quarter scoring has been pretty strong in recent years, and MM is confident enough in their adjustment process to defer on the opening kickoff. However, he does seem to stick with the call sheet through the first half, even if it's working poorly. It's hard to be too critical of that, because you don't know what specifically he's trying set up, which can come down to setting up a particular player. It is frustrating at times when you see the same thing tried 4 or 5 times with no success, without a plan B in evidence before halftime. Discipline, and sticking with the plan, can be a double-edged sword.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hate the long pass on third and two. It happens way to often imho. Yes and I'm not seeing a middle of the field game either. And be very fearful of both the Giants and 49ers. They have the capacity with our OL play to make things very, very ugly.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy's team is 36 and 11 with a Championship over the last 3 seasons. I'll take his play calling. But I think he needs a new offensive line coach.

H

HardRightEdge

http://bluebooksports.com/newsletterclub/nfl_q.asp says we score more in 2nd qt, but 3rd qt is next

And our opp score most in 2nd qt

Those are 2010 stats including the first 2 playoff games.

In the 2010 regular season we were 5th. in the league, averaging 6.5 points in the 3rd. quarter. 2011, which is what I think I had stuck in the back of mind, we led the league in 3rd. quarter points, averaging 9.o per game. This season not so hot... 23rd. averaging 3.7, which is pretty poor considering MM usually defers on the opening kickoff.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game

Members online

Latest posts