Rodgers Contract

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not that he'd demand a fully guaranteed contract but if he did he does have a bit of leverage...the look of the team last year without him.

"I'm that much better than Brett Hundley" isn't really that great leverage. If anything, it's a reason for the Packers to invest a bit into a backup - which they did with the trade for Kizer.

I still don't get why people even think that Rodgers would seriously want a fully guaranteed contract. Cousins signed a three year deal. Essentially guaranteeing his salary for the next three seasons. A regular extension/contract is usually structured so that the first two years are de facto guaranteed. If Rodgers were to sign a new extension while leaving the next two years untouched (like the Packers do with all extensions), his next FOUR years will be de facto guaranteed. Unlike Cousins, who doesn't have Rodgers track record and changed teams, Rodgers doesn't have to protect himself against poor play, so it's really only a career ending injury that he needs to worry about - and I'd guess it makes more sense to buy that on the open market, where it doesn't count against the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

not that he'd demand a fully guaranteed contract but if he did he does have a bit of leverage...the look of the team last year without him.

the Packers can always say sure we'll fully guarantee the contract...5 at $28m w/$50m signing bonus. that's $115m guaranteed to ryan's $100m.

While the situation definitely wouldn't be ideal the Packers could franchise tag Rodgers twice resulting in him being under contract for another four years. He doesn't have a ton of leverade demanding a fully guaranteed contract.

FWIW Rodgers would receive $190 million guaranteed under your proposal.

yup. the time to trade, if they were going to, was this year. no one could offer what cleveland could have. that ship has sailed.

It's ridiculous you still insist on trading Rodgers being a good idea.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See what a hold out, and a unmotivated #12 does for our team...

Give the guy what he wants. He wants a say in how his team is run. Give it to him. He is probably just as well trained as any coach or even our GM is, in what this teams needs to succeed... so give him the self respect, and move forward with him on board...

GB is playing with fire here. Imo.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Rodgers qualifications with personnel - he advocated that we resign Jones when he was declining - and Cobb, who also appears to be regressing... And now there were reports about his unhappiness that Jordy was not resigned. I think he appreciates comfort over change which I get, but I don't trust him to make personnel decisions.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.
He a QB and a great one.
If we allow players to be coaches or GM's, then we have a new game in town.
Didn't Favre try to pull this with Ted T.?

He did, I don't think it made the paper as often. It's been documented that he felt strongly that we should have brought in Randy Moss and that bringing in Rodgers was compromising their attempts to win the superbowl during his reign.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I love watching Rodgers play and the Packers win... personally, I hope they do not give in to that demand. Even if it means eventually losing him. Setting that precedent does not seem to be in the best interest of teams in the long run.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
As much as I love watching Rodgers play and the Packers win... personally, I hope they do not give in to that demand. Even if it means eventually losing him. Setting that precedent does not seem to be in the best interest of teams in the long run.

Great Point, but that seems to be the way the NFL and world is, it's me or nothing.

Remember Favre when he was ask about his legacy while leaving GB for the Jets?
He said his legacy was his own.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way possible I would give him an opt out. Horrific precedent.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why?

I don't see a problem in asking for opt out contracts. He has been a good team player and good fit at GB. Nelson situation is one off and I don't see recurrence. Unless something drastically breaks down between him and team (in which case I don't want him anyway), I don't see this being called.

From what I read, teams have an opt out clause built in. No reason players should not have one.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to QB vs WR, it's a two way relationship. The GM should have consulted (not seeking approval, mind it) AR12 before making this decision. No need for all players but with a special relationship like AR - Jordy, I'd expect it to be protocol.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to QB vs WR, it's a two way relationship. The GM should have consulted (not seeking approval, mind it) AR12 before making this decision. No need for all players but with a special relationship like AR - Jordy, I'd expect it to be protocol.
We've had that discussion... I don't happen to agree with you ... but respect your right to the opinion.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those who don't seem to get it.... Rodgers is exceptional. He is remarkably special, a revelation in the sport. The front office and coaching staff are average at best, though foolish, stubborn, and completely wasteful from a realistic standpoint.

Real stats- 6 of the teams who had top 10 scoring defenses in 2017 had QBs with salaries close to or greater than Rodgers. It was 9 in 2016, 8 in 2015. This organization has failed our QB greatly. There is no excuse. The Packers have only kept their winning tradition alive because of Rodgers. Get your heads out of the darkness and into the light. Rodgers deserves a blank check. Maybe Gute will prove his worth this coming season, but it is inexcusable to make changes this late and waste the career of perhaps the best talent to ever grace the sport.

I just wish that people would stop judging this team by the accomplishments that they achieved over half a century ago. We have 2 championships since then, with 25 years worth of HOF QBs. We are basically the Cavs of the NFL, who have no idea how to run a franchise, but were lucky enough to acquire one very good player at the most important position, and the best to ever grace the field at the same position. Let Rodgers run the entire organization. They clearly need help.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Report: Rodgers seeking opt-out clause in next contract
Maybe he just wants to be able to force a renegotiation at any given time, in case salaries skyrocket more. But it's still not the most encouraging news. It could also mean he wants the option to seek greener pastures if the team doesn't win (or if he perceives he is being disrespected).

He did, I don't think it made the paper as often. It's been documented that he felt strongly that we should have brought in Randy Moss and that bringing in Rodgers was compromising their attempts to win the superbowl during his reign.
I don't think people took it as seriously with Favre because he was seen as more of a fun loving jock. Fair or not, Rodgers is seen as being more of a student of the game.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
For those who don't seem to get it.... Rodgers is exceptional. He is remarkably special, a revelation in the sport. The front office and coaching staff are average at best, though foolish, stubborn, and completely wasteful from a realistic standpoint.

Real stats- 6 of the teams who had top 10 scoring defenses in 2017 had QBs with salaries close to or greater than Rodgers. It was 9 in 2016, 8 in 2015. This organization has failed our QB greatly. There is no excuse. The Packers have only kept their winning tradition alive because of Rodgers. Get your heads out of the darkness and into the light. Rodgers deserves a blank check. Maybe Gute will prove his worth this coming season, but it is inexcusable to make changes this late and waste the career of perhaps the best talent to ever grace the sport.

I just wish that people would stop judging this team by the accomplishments that they achieved over half a century ago. We have 2 championships since then, with 25 years worth of HOF QBs. We are basically the Cavs of the NFL, who have no idea how to run a franchise, but were lucky enough to acquire one very good player at the most important position, and the best to ever grace the field at the same position. Let Rodgers run the entire organization. They clearly need help.

Your totally right about the Packers failed decision making in the past, but why throw the teams check book at one great player.
Football sir, is a team sport, and there's plenty of talent out on the field busting their @ss's to keep him standing upright to win games getting 1/3rd. the salary.

Ever notice when the sports media talk about the NFL?
It's Tom Brady and the Patriots,
Russel Wilson and the Seahawks
Matthew Stanford and the Lions
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers
What about the other players that make up these teams??

The salary of these QB's is out of control and it's the fans that go to games that keep paying.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your totally right about the Packers failed decision making in the past, but why throw the teams check book at one great player.
Football sir, is a team sport, and there's plenty of talent out on the field busting their @ss's to keep him standing upright to win games getting 1/3rd. the salary.

Ever notice when the sports media talk about the NFL?
It's Tom Brady and the Patriots,
Russel Wilson and the Seahawks
Matthew Stanford and the Lions
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers
What about the other players that make up these teams??

The salary of these QB's is out of control and it's the fans that go to games that keep paying.
Has Rodgers not earned the right to be the highest paid player in the league? I think next year will be a prove-it year for the organization. Gute and the coaching staff need to prove to Rodgers that they are capable of setting the ship straight. He has earned less than 15 percent of the total cap over the past few years, a low-ball number when you consider the success of the team without him.

NE has won 70 percent of their games with backups, compared to 78% with Brady. Rodgers has won 68% of his games, but that figure drops below 30% with another QB in the fold. Other players make a difference as well, but they sure don't seem to when he's off of the field. He's the life support of this team, and they will perish without him

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has Rodgers not earned the right to be the highest paid player in the league? I think next year will be a prove-it year for the organization. Gute and the coaching staff need to prove to Rodgers that they are capable of setting the ship straight. He has earned less than 15 percent of the total cap over the past few years, a low-ball number when you consider the success of the team without him.

NE has won 70 percent of their games with backups, compared to 78% with Brady. Rodgers has won 68% of his games, but that figure drops below 30% with another QB in the fold. Other players make a difference as well, but they sure don't seem to when he's off of the field. He's the life support of this team, and they will perish without him
And yet your circular reasoning does not seem to faze you.... so yeah let's give Rodgers all the money in the world .... and keep losing because we can't pay anyone else .... and then thanks to that opt out clause he got .... he can leave when he feels like it anyway.... great plan!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, if Rodgers wants input into personnel decisions, you give it to him. You certainly don't make him the GM but you definitely give him input into decisions. The ONLY reason the Packers have been ANY good for the last decade is because of Rodgers. Yeah, I get the average fan feeling like Rodgers should know his place and just "play" but those fans don't realize that Rodgers DOES know his place. He's the greatest QB in NFL history and some team will meet whatever demands he wants. So what if the team ends up wasting $5-6 million a year in bad contracts, the alternative is saving that money and spending it on Kirk Cousins! There is a reason that slightly above average QBs demand top-5-in-the-NFL money, QBs make the NFL's world go round. People complain about spoiled Packers fans who are unhappy with only one Super Bowl during Rodgers' career thus far; the more spoiled are those fans that are willing to let Rodgers walk, just blithely assuming the team will get another decent QB under center.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, if Rodgers wants input into personnel decisions, you give it to him. You certainly don't make him the GM but you definitely give him input into decisions. The ONLY reason the Packers have been ANY good for the last decade is because of Rodgers. Yeah, I get the average fan feeling like Rodgers should know his place and just "play" but those fans don't realize that Rodgers DOES know his place. He's the greatest QB in NFL history and some team will meet whatever demands he wants. So what if the team ends up wasting $5-6 million a year in bad contracts, the alternative is saving that money and spending it on Kirk Cousins! There is a reason that slightly above average QBs demand top-5-in-the-NFL money, QBs make the NFL's world go round. People complain about spoiled Packers fans who are unhappy with only one Super Bowl during Rodgers' career thus far; the more spoiled are those fans that are willing to let Rodgers walk, just blithely assuming the team will get another decent QB under center.
I'm fine with and expect the Packers to pay Rodgers as the best QB in the league. I'm not fine with giving him all that money and then letting him decide that he'd rather go elsewhere anyway.

Members online

Latest posts