Rodgers Contract

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, you're hesitant to give Rodgers a deal because you think he'll suffer a career ending injury sometime in the next three years?
Judging from what we saw last year, if Rodgers suffers a career ending injury, the Packers will be in full rebuilding mode. It will likely be several years before they seriously contend again anyway. Meanwhile, they could be picking high in the draft - it's the NFL's consolation prize for those who don't make the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's been well chronicled that, for many years, McCarthy's offense did very little to actually help the receivers get open and embrace some of the more modern aspects of today's passing game. MM had been blessed with the best QB in NFL history, Will Muschamp could have an elite offense with Rodgers at QB.

So, you're hesitant to give Rodgers a deal because you think he'll suffer a career ending injury sometime in the next three years? Any deal will come after rosters has shown his shoulder is fine. Once that happens the only issue with a guaranteed deal would be if Rodgers got hurt and the injury ended his career. It's not like the Packers are gonna sign him to a non guaranteed deal and then cut him in year three if he breaks his shoulder again; they'll give him time to come back from any injury.

I agree that McCarthy didn't do a good job in 2015 coordinating the offense after Nelson was lost for the season. Aside of thst he has mostly been a great offensive mind who deserves a ton of credit for developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback, something you have huge troubles getting your head around.

I'm not hesitant to sign Rodgers to an extension but don't feel the need to make it fully guaranteed.

Judging from what we saw last year, if Rodgers suffers a career ending injury, the Packers will be in full rebuilding mode. It will likely be several years before they seriously contend again anyway.

That might change pretty quickly with Gutekunst calling the shots right now though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers contract is at $94,000.000.
Joe Flacco is comes in 1st. at $112,000.000, top earner.
Matthew Stafford 2nd, at 111,008.969, top earner

What do you think Rodgers will earn when his contract is signed?
My guess, based on Matt Ryan’s deal, is $32 mil/ year for five years, maybe four years, with $125 mil guaranteed. Let’s face it ARod is worth every penny. If Kirk Cousins can get $84 mil guaranteed, $125 mil for Rodgers sounds right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that McCarthy didn't do a good job in 2015 coordinating the offense after Nelson was lost for the season. Aside of thst he has mostly been a great offensive mind who deserves a ton of credit for developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback, something you have huge troubles getting your head around.

I'm not hesitant to sign Rodgers to an extension but don't feel the need to make it fully guaranteed.

That might change pretty quickly with Gutekunst calling the shots right now though.
I think the majority of Rodgers’s success is due to Rodgers - his athleticism (which can’t be coached), his intelligence, and the incredible amount of work he does every day to prepare. Certainly coaching has a part, but I’m not ready to give much of that credit to MM. He’s a good HC, but too many times I’ve seen him play not to lose rather than play to win. MM never would have taken the chances Pederson took in the SB. And for Bellichik, no lead is ever enough. Just look at the horrible loss to the Hags in the conference championship for an example. That’s on MM. And Rodgers or not, that has to change. Maybe Pettine can bring the attitude the Pack seems to need.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the majority of Rodgers’s success is due to Rodgers - his athleticism (which can’t be coached), his intelligence, and the incredible amount of work he does every day to prepare. Certainly coaching has a part, but I’m not ready to give much of that credit to MM. He’s a good HC, but too many times I’ve seen him play not to lose rather than play to win. MM never would have taken the chances Pederson took in the SB. And for Bellichik, no lead is ever enough. Just look at the horrible loss to the Hags in the conference championship for an example. That’s on MM. And Rodgers or not, that has to change. Maybe Pettine can bring the attitude the Pack seems to need.
I agree that Rodgers is an amazing QB (perhaps even Goat) but he still makes his share of mistakes, and I truly think that McCarthy deserves credit for his development. Rodgers can get into streaks of stubborness just like McCarthy can and while it may cause them to clash occasionally, I think they provide a good balance against each other's egos. Favre too had not been playing his best under the last years of Sherman... he improved under Mcarthy. I just think it is very short sighted of posters to claim that they know that Mcarthy is a bad coach while his offenses have typically been among the best in the NFL . Yes he has had 2 great QBs, but very few lasting top NFL offenses haven't.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers is great. But when his mechanics have been completely broken down and rebuilt since college its confusing how people cant give MM a significant amount of credit for his success when those mechanics were broke down and rebuilt under MM

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is great. But when his mechanics have been completely broken down and rebuilt since college its confusing how people cant give MM a significant amount of credit for his success when those mechanics were broke down and rebuilt under MM
quit being so negative :)

and I agree. Favre was heading to the ******* quickly and turned him into the player he was almost a decade prior and winning MVP's. and Rodgers most certainly didn't look like the Rodgers we know coming out of college. It was a match made in Packer heaven as far as i'm concerned. MM and Rodgers put in a tremendous amount of work. Both deserve all the praise they get plus some.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a matter for negotiation though. I'm sure the Packers would love to sign Rodgers for NO guaranteed money if they could get away with it. But it's not going to happen.
I hope you're right, but that very much remains to be seen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s a fair comment. I recall how he held the ball at Cal, right up tight against his helmet. You make a good point about MM.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
quit being so negative :)

and I agree. Favre was heading to the ******* quickly and turned him into the player he was almost a decade prior and winning MVP's. and Rodgers most certainly didn't look like the Rodgers we know coming out of college. It was a match made in Packer heaven as far as i'm concerned. MM and Rodgers put in a tremendous amount of work. Both deserve all the praise they get plus some.
Now that I’ve seen some of the comments like these I do agree and MM does deserve credit. When Rodgers played at Cal, he held the ball up right against his helmet. Really poor mechanics. I guess I’m more miffed with MM’s “play not to lose approach” and what I see as an unwillingness to take risks, but that doesn’t have anything to do with how he coached and helped Rodgers. So for Rodgers’s development, yeah he deserves credit.

D

Deleted member 6794

He’s a good HC, but too many times I’ve seen him play not to lose rather than play to win. Just look at the horrible loss to the Hags in the conference championship for an example. That’s on MM.

There's no reason to blame McCarthy for the special teams giving up a touchdown, Burnett going down after intercepting Wilson, Bostick messing up on the onside kick and Clinton-Dix having a brain fart on the two-point conversion. I agree that MM is too conservative at some points but overall he has done a pretty good job as the Packers head coach.

That's a matter for negotiation though. I'm sure the Packers would love to sign Rodgers for NO guaranteed money if they could get away with it. But it's not going to happen.

There's no doubt Rodgers will receive a huge amount of guaranteed money but the Packers shouldn't fully guarantee his entire contract.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Rodgers will receive a huge amount of guaranteed money but the Packers shouldn't fully guarantee his entire contract.
Again, it's a matter for negotiation. It's not like the Packers are going to say "Hey Aaron, we like you so much we'll just make your contract fully guaranteed". But what if Rodgers and his agent demand a fully guaranteed contract - and won't back off of it? He's a unique enough a talent to do that. Do you give it to him, or do you trade or release him?

As for McCarthy, I like him overall, although like most people he has his pluses and minuses. I think he deserves a lot of credit for developing Rodgers. He held on to Capers way too long. He could be more creative with getting receivers free. He could adjust better at halftime.

He can be conservative to a fault sometimes, but Holmgren was like that too. There's a reason teams go conservative and run the ball in the second half to kill the clock with a big lead. It works. Usually. No plan is foolproof however, so sometimes it doesn't. The majority of the time it will work. And being aggressive in that situation can sometimes blow up in your face too. So I'm not going to fault McCarthy for that. The only thing is, it helps to have a good running game and to be able to push people off the line, and we've seldom had that kind of team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a guaranteed contract would be fine if it's structured like the signing bonus and everything else is now. It's essentially less years, less overall money, but all guaranteed. If it means giving out 5-6 year contracts with the type of money they contain now (with a lot not earned before the contract is terminated) then I'd let him go. He's unique, that's for certain. But he's also not the only path to winning in the NFL. Certainly helps but a 5 year guarantee at 30+ million or so a year would kill us if he wasn't on the field earning it. There is no, suck it up for a year and move on. It would hurt for a long time. but a 3 year contract that basically gives the money they'd earn in a longer contract before the dead money is palatable and they are confronted with restructure or cutting if they aren't performing would be fine. The money out is about the same then.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only sure thing here is that this will be a mega deal. Probably more back loaded vs the cap; still plenty of cap room left and not much left out there to spend it on.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason to blame McCarthy for the special teams giving up a touchdown, Burnett going down after intercepting Wilson, Bostick messing up on the onside kick and Clinton-Dix having a brain fart on the two-point conversion. I agree that MM is too conservative at some points but overall he has done a pretty good job as the Packers head coach.

Captain. You bring back painful memories, none of them MM’s direct fault. For me, Dix standing flat footed as a two point pass sailed over his head is the most egregious. Peppers waiving Burnett to go down after the interception is just as painful, as is Bostic going after an OS kick that would have been easily fielded by Nelson had he done his job and just let it go. But in a way that’s the point. These are all too many coincidences and reflect 1) poor player judgement and 2) poor preparedness by the coaches. Even after Burnett’s interception, I think they ran three straight running plays and had to punt. I can’t see BB doing that, or Doug Pederson. Maybe that game isn’t a good example because there were so many individual failures. And while it’s just my opinion, I still feel MM is a “play not to lose” coach rather than a “step on their neck” coach like BB. If MM had been coaching the Eagles in the last SB, the Pats would have won. Again, it’s an opinion, a feeling, that MM plays it too safe. As we’ve learned in a number of games over the last few years, in this NFL, no lead is big enough. I’m looking for Pettine to instill a bit of killer instinct into this team, and hopefully with the rewrite of the playbook, some of that impacts MM. He calls the shots after all, and more than anyone else, owns the final outcome. But thanks for your thoughtful reply.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers waiving Burnett to go down after the interception is just as painful
Arrrgh!! :poop::poop::poop:

There used to be something in baseball called the "Cub factor", largely exemplified by former Cub Bill Buckner letting a ball go between his legs in the World Series. That play with Peppers made me think there might be a "Bear factor".

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, it's a matter for negotiation. It's not like the Packers are going to say "Hey Aaron, we like you so much we'll just make your contract fully guaranteed". But what if Rodgers and his agent demand a fully guaranteed contract - and won't back off of it? He's a unique enough a talent to do that. Do you give it to him, or do you trade or release him?

Rodgers still has two years left on his current contract. Therefore he currently doesn't have any leverage demanding a fully guranteed deal.

But in a way that’s the point. These are all too many coincidences and reflect 1) poor player judgement and 2) poor preparedness by the coaches. Even after Burnett’s interception, I think they ran three straight running plays and had to punt. I can’t see BB doing that, or Doug Pederson. And while it’s just my opinion, I still feel MM is a “play not to lose” coach rather than a “step on their neck” coach like BB. If MM had been coaching the Eagles in the last SB, the Pats would have won. Again, it’s an opinion, a feeling, that MM plays it too safe. As we’ve learned in a number of games over the last few years, in this NFL, no lead is big enough. I’m looking for Pettine to instill a bit of killer instinct into this team, and hopefully with the rewrite of the playbook, some of that impacts MM. He calls the shots after all, and more than anyone else, owns the final outcome. But thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Taking a look back at the first 55 minites of the 2014 NFCCG the Packers coaching staff definitely prepared the team to win that game. In my opinion fans talking about McCarthy or any other coach playing not to lose is vastly exaggerated.

While everyone currently is praising Pederson for being aggressive I wonder what people would think about it if some of those plays didn't go the Eagles way.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

So then you're saying that if (hypothetically) Rodgers demanded a fully guaranteed contract to remain in Green Bay, you would trade him?

There's no reason to trade Rodgers even if he demands a fully guaranteed contract. It might be smart for the Packers to not extend him this offseason in that case though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers still has two years left on his current contract. Therefore he currently doesn't have any leverage demanding a fully guranteed deal.

not that he'd demand a fully guaranteed contract but if he did he does have a bit of leverage...the look of the team last year without him.

the Packers can always say sure we'll fully guarantee the contract...5 at $28m w/$50m signing bonus. that's $115m guaranteed to ryan's $100m.

Members online

Latest posts