Rodgers' contract..

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Alex Smith signed for $51 million. That little tumble down the draft board cost our boy a few bucks, didn't it? Ouch! But he could easily end up better off in the long run, playing for a great franchise and with a chance to prove himself before his next contract comes up, potentially for REAL big money. So far I like what I'm hearing about Rodgers.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes for a young player you would think he would be happy in Green Bay for almost any ammount of money. I know I would be (but then again I dont have that kind of talent LOL)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money is great, but Smith has to perform now. He is put in the position to be the team's leader while making the adjustment to playing in the NFL. People will expect Smith to play great now and be the key player in bringing the 49ers glory back. Plus he has to do this with a much weaker team.

Rodgers on the other hand has the opportunity to adjust to the NFL at his own pace while learning from a HOF caliber QB. He has the advantage of playing with Walker and Driver for WRs, Green as his RB and a solid OL.

Sure Smith gets the money right now, but he's got a greater chance of turning out like Ryan Leaf rather than Peyton Manning. While Rodgers will have every opportunity to gain confidence and earn an even bigger contract in 5 years.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheeze posted:" Post subject: Rodgers' contract..
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:14 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the end of 2007 Aaron will have been paid over 6 million dollars.
15/31 for 111 yards 43.9 QB rating 18 yards rushing 3 lost fumbles and 1 INT for "career".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Rodgers has been a back up from 2005 and the present. . Of coarse that is because of Brett Favre's decesion to returnto the Green Bay Packers and not to retire for the last three years.

Many Quarterbacks have started out very slowly in their 1st 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th years in the NFL. The Great QB of Balitimore Colts in 50's & '60's was cut from the first training camp he attended and landed up playing in a Semi pro league in Pittsburgh in his rookie year. But the Colts invited him to the Training camp the next year. And the rest is NFL history.

Bart Starr was drafted in 17th round in 1956 and shared QB duties with other Packer QBs in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959 .It wasn't until the middle of the 1960 season that he became The starting QB for "Lombardi's glory year Packer" teamsof the '60's. Starr remained the starter for a decade. The Packer teams With Starr as the starting QB won 5 NFL Championships (including the first two Super Bowls) between 1960-1967. The Packers won 89 regular games lost 29 and tied 4 from 1959- 1967 plus won 9-1 in the post season games during that era.

In 1991, Brett Favre rookie year at Altanta was a disaster. Jerry Glanville coach of the Falcon's, told Favre during Farve's rookie year that Brett would never become a starting QB in NFL!!!!!!!. He promptly traded Favre to Green Bay in 1992 for a first round draft choice. And Glanville wished he would have never made that statement about Farve and of coarse, not made that trade with Green Bay ever since.

I could go on and post about Steve Young and Peyton Manning early years in the NFL . And many other NFL QBs in the early years in NFL. But this post would get too long. Aaron Rodgers early years with the packers are not that unusual for young QB in the NFL. Quarterbacking a NFL team is difficult job and a young NFL QB take his lumps.!!!! One must be patient when it comes to young NFL QB in their first years in the NFL.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and it's just like anything else, if you don't get consistent reps, it is very difficult to put up consistent numbers. no player can just 'turn it on' at the push of a button.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope that this now puts to rest the notion that the Packer staff has any reservations about Rodgers. The timing is excellent, IMO. Aaron has been exemplery in his behavior and he's been rewarded. Good move. Plus, it would seem that even though Brandt is not a practicing attorney in Wisconsin, he is still sharp enough to write good contracts for our players. Frankly, it may be a + for him NOT to be an attorney.(With apologies to any of my friends here who might practice law. I'm just trying to be humorous). Lord, these contracts DO get complicated, don't they? Anyway, I feel good about this. My optimism just went up again.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it is Rodgers' rookie contract and this original post on the topic was dated August 3, 2005. I noticed that after I posted on this topic. There must be not enough Packer news going on in late May , that somebody brought up old news that is over 21 months old!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yes it is Rodgers' rookie contract and this original post on the topic was dated August 3, 2005. I noticed that after I posted on this topic. There must be not enough Packer news going on in late May , that somebody brought up old news that is over 21 months old!!

Good eye! I didn't catch that. I thought maybe he was drunk an found an old article and posted it an we all ran with it lol

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the incentives have been triggered yet a lot of money has been paid.

Drafting another position that year(like an OG who would have played instead of Klemm) would have been cheaper and more productive.

With the contract expiring after the 2009, there are only 48 regular season games(plus playoffs) to get a return on the investment. The loss of 6 million dollars already will require a considerable amount of high level play over the remaining contract to say this draft pick was worth it.

Hawkins and Whitticker were certainly more productive picks of that draft class.

We better see some maturity and ability from this first round draft pick in August. I look forward with anticipation to the first 2 minute drill for which he is responsible and does not screw it up.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the incentives have been triggered yet a lot of money has been paid.

Drafting another position that year(like an OG who would have played instead of Klemm) would have been cheaper and more productive.

With the contract expiring after the 2009, there are only 48 regular season games(plus playoffs) to get a return on the investment. The loss of 6 million dollars already will require a considerable amount of high level play over the remaining contract to say this draft pick was worth it.

Hawkins and Whitticker were certainly more productive picks of that draft class.

We better see some maturity and ability from this first round draft pick in August. I look forward with anticipation to the first 2 minute drill for which he is responsible and does not screw it up.
Being a back up to Brett Favre isn't quite the same as players in different positions. To me, your 2nd string QB is like your spare tire. You want a decent one if you have a long way to travel when your tire blows out.
So far, there hasn't been much need for the second string QB. But it's getting late in Favre's career now, and that position is becoming more important. We will never recoup what has been paid to Rodgers already. But the same could be said for all the QB's that rode the bench here the last 16 years or so, right? You could look back (hindsight is 20-20) and say we should have used all that money to spend on other players, as Favre has just kept on playing. But who KNEW that would be the way it has been? No one!
The last 2 years there has been MUCH speculation that Favre would retire. Now i think thats even more a possibility at the end of this coming season.
So we HAD to have Rodgers, in case Favre did decide to ride off on his tractor.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think it's amazing people expect the world out of Rodgers who has had limited time to say the most. He's played how many live downs in his NFL career? Compare that to any other QB over the same time frame. Let's see how he match's up.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers becomes a good starting Quarterback for the Packers, He will be worth every dollar that Packers paid him since 2005. College players that are drafted are always paid on potential. Potential is realized after player becomes productive QB starter for his team. if he does not become one, that is risk NFL teams take all the time. It is the cost of doing business in the NFL.

Look all the problems that Chicago Bears have had finding a good starting QB. The Bears have a least 20 QBs that have started games for Bears since Farve started at QB for the Packcrs in 1992.

Look at problems that Dolphins ( (Moreno), Cowboys (Akman), 49ers(Young) and Broncos (Alway) had in replacing their great long time QBs of the past.

Hope fully this young QB Aaron Rodgers is up to the task to do job here in Green Bay It is going to take patience on part of Green Bay Packer organization and Packer fans the during the adjustment period after Farve retires.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the 49ers didn't have any problems replacing Montana though ;)

(Marino, Aikman, Elway)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers becomes a good starting Quarterback for the Packers, He will be worth every dollar that Packers paid him since 2005. College players that are drafted are always paid on potential. Potential is realized after player becomes productive QB starter for his team. if he does not become one, that is risk NFL teams take all the time. It is the cost of doing business in the NFL.

Look all the problems that Chicago Bears have had finding a good starting QB. The Bears have a least 20 QBs that have started games for Bears since Farve started at QB for the Packcrs in 1992.

Look at problems that Dolphins ( (Moreno), Cowboys (Akman), 49ers(Young) and Broncos (Alway) had in replacing their great long time QBs of the past.

Hope fully this young QB Aaron Rodgers is up to the task to do job here in Green Bay It is going to take patience on part of Green Bay Packer organization and Packer fans the during the adjustment period after Farve retires.

PWT36, I've always respected your insight on the Packers and most likely always will. I do have to ask you one question though...did you purposely make spelling errors with Marino, Aikman, and Elway? I just have to know. :rubeyes:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many QB's were available this year?
Jeff Garcia, Matt Shaub, David Carr, Trent Green, Brady Quinn

There was/is no urgency as teams throw away good QB's often.

Teams do not waste first round picks on QB's because they do not play right away(unless a loser team is desperate(Manning, Vick). They invest time in QB's like Hasselback, Bulger, and Schaub.

I have nothing against Rodgers except perhaps his salary and inability during two minute drills. What I am saying is that spending the draft choice on another player would have been far better for the Packers.

Several are forgetting the flip side of the argument. Had that pick been spent on a player like an OG, S or RB, the 2005 Packers record would not have been as bad. Several games were close that year.

Plus that pick drove away Craig Nall and a replacement for him was drafted the following year.
This is not hindsight I have been saying these things since the day he was drafted.

Nobody has addressed what Rodgers must do to be worth the draft pick, the salary, and the years of nonproduction.
Would 2 years starting equal 3 years of nonproduction?
Would one Pro Bowl year??
What if Brett plays until Rodgers contract is over at the end of the 2009 season??
The window of opportunity of making the draft pick worth it is shrinking.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Terrible insight there man. At the time, no one knew if Brett was playing after that season. A QB that was weeks before the draft projected to be a top overall pick fell in the Packers lap.

It was a good move to select him.

You can bash it now all you want and claim you've been saying it for years. But be honest. Think about it as if it were 2005 draft again.

And that's coming from someone who wanted anyone BUT a QB drafted in the first round that year.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible insight there man. At the time, no one knew if Brett was playing after that season. A QB that was weeks before the draft projected to be a top overall pick fell in the Packers lap.

It was a good move to select him.

You can bash it now all you want and claim you've been saying it for years. But be honest. Think about it as if it were 2005 draft again.

And that's coming from someone who wanted anyone BUT a QB drafted in the first round that year.

preach

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are arguing two separate issues here.

One, is if taking Rodgers in the first round was a wise draft pick or not. If you take into account Brett's situation at the time and only prescribe to the "BPA" only theory, it was probably a good pick and a good investment.

The other is if the Packers have gotten, or ever will get, enough production from Rodgers to justify the draft pick and the money he'll be paid. This would lean more to those who feel it's wiser to draft BPA based on need. While the jury is still out on this one for another year or so, it's hard to agree that they've gotten $6 million worth of production from Rodgers so far.

Of course, compared to our return on TT's $6 million investment in Sherman, Rodgers looks like something of a bargain.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, that Thompson drafted Rodgers "anticipating" that
Favre was on his way out 3 years ago.

3 years later and 2 more wolf cries later....we are in this situation.

REGARDING AARON's CONTRACT

Also, if anyone's complaining about Aaron's salary as he sits.

THINK about how much he's LOSING by sitting behind Favre.
And think how NOT ONCE Aaron has complained. With how many players whine about playing time, and contracts these days..that's a REAL testament to Aaron.

He's earning 1.2 or something during his backup years as a packer
yet he'd be earning 7 mil more if Brett had retired.

Brett's taking money OUT of Aaron's pocket, yet Aaron's totally
supportive of Brett.

Also, Aaron's agent Mike Sullivan of Octogon was offering 20% less
in contract demands than Alex Smith when they were jockeying for the no.1 pick.

So that's telling you Sullivan and Rodgers weren't out to fleece the packers either.

I liken Aaron to Phillip Rivers, and he'll be ready to step in and not let the offense miss a beat.

REGARDING ALEX SMITH

Alex Smith is in his "prove it" year. We'll see if he's for real now.
I live in San Francisco, and the consensus of scouts around here is that Alex telegraphs his passes and it's going to cost him in the long run.

Aaron's delivery is very deceptive so it's much harder for corners to jump on the ball than Alex It's his technique that give him and edge.

Brett actually telegraphs his throws too..but his release is SO QUICK..that it makes up for it. I'm always amazed at how Brett flicks his wrist and it goes 30 yards like a bullet.

Members online

Latest posts